October:

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Brains aint me forte

Good morning!  I have 6 today with 6x100m strides.  Have a great day everyone. Big grin

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

Trying to re-hydrate before I head out to run 6 recovery miles followed by striders.  I like to mix different flavors of Nuun.  Yesterday, I tried grape and tropical fruit on my run and it was pretty gross.  This morning, I went with fruit punch and tropical fruit and it's not good either.  I don't think I like the tropical fruit.

I got my email from NYCM notifying me I have 15 days to decide if I want my refund or guaranteed entry to a future marathon.  I think I'm going to take the refund and hope they keep the qualifying standards for 2013 the same or only slightly harder so I can still run it in November if I want.  (My best friend is supposed to get guaranteed entry for 2013 as a repeated lottery loser but they haven't confirmed that with her, yet).

Other than that, just waiting for the weekend to begin!  I really want to catch up on my sleep.

Julia1971

Good morning!  I have 6 today with 6x100m strides.  Have a great day everyone. Big grin

Jinx!  That's what I'm doing, too.

fake it till you make it

Good morning!  I'll break the 6 with strides trend- just got in the door from a 5 mile recovery run with my running buddy.

Good Luck to all you Goofy/Disney runners this weekend!  One of my coworkers is running the goofy- and this will be her first full!

And good luck in Houston CompetitiveChik, hope the weather cooperates for you.

CompetitiveChik

Make Note: I am checking in this morning. lol

Rest Day for me. Havin dinner with my bestest tonight at one of my favorite carb loading restaurants....Olive Garden.

INS - enjoy your workout.

Julia - I don't like nuun. I tried the citrus and thought it was gross. I don't like tropical anything so those are out of the question for me. I'll stick to my electrolyte tabs.

JenRose - welcome to our insanley group. Thanks for the good luck wishes.

the weather is suppose to be nasty but it looks (or maybe I'm just hoping) like it may just be rainy and no thunderstorms. the meteorologist said that the thunderstorms (if there are any) will be comin through about start time. so hopefully it'll just delay the race. I'm pretty stoked though. I got my peeps waitin for me at certain miles with my gels and candy and one lady is gonna run with me. I may not pr but I'm goin into this to have fun. but truth be known I do have a goal in mind, I'm just not tellin anyone cause I don't want to feel the pressure of havin to accomplish it when I really want to run for fun.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Finally PRed!!!

Morning, everyone! Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Julia, Scott: hope you each have a nice 6 with strides.

Julia: great work with your cruise intervals yesterday.

Scott: nice job  with the  6.

Jen: nice recovery run.

SIAR (from yesterday): glad you had a great run yesterday. Thanks for asking. My legs have been feeling pretty good. They're tired today, but it doesn't seem like anything another RD won't take care of. I'm going to be cutting the mileage back again next week, just to make sure they're getting enough rest.

Pressing: great job with your 10 yesterday.

Hi to everyone else, too!

My tempo yesterday went really well, ran it a little faster than I had been doing them, since it was clear fitness had improved. Picked up the pace a little at the end, just for fun. The group run was fun too, it was raining by then and a foggy night where you can't see the tops of the taller buildings. At one point late in that run I looked down at the Garmin and was a  little surprised to see I was running a little over 8:30 pace (we apparently picked up the pace during the run--average was a little over 9).

SRD for me today--the legs will be happy to have the extra rest day this week, planning 14s on both Sat and Sun. The group run tomorrow will include part of the marathon course, and I think the pacers will be running with us.

Hope all the weekend's racers are feeling good and almost ready to go! Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

Finally PRed!!!

CC: x-posted, have fun at dinner, and I hope the weather is not nasty for your race. Great you have your peeps to help you out, and I hope you have fun and make your goal!

Finally PRed!!!

Not sure how I got a double post there...Good luck again to everyone racing this weekend, woohoo!

It almost seems like we're mostly using the same plan today.  Just 6 recovery miles with no strides, per the schedule.  Did them on the treadmill at work because it was raining outside.  Tomorrow I'm scheduled for 6w6x30b, which they call "bring-ups" where you speed up to increasing percentages of MHR, namely 10s@75%, 10s@85%, 10s@95%.  I'm sure I never get up to 95%, but I do keep up with the spirit of the endeavor.  Weather permitting I may go over to the greeway and do 10 instead of the scheduled 6.

Julia:  A robbery?  Where was it, on the greenway?  If they demanded my life or my Garmin I'd have to think about it.

The only thing I take during marathons are e-Gels.  They seem to be easy on the stomach and have more carbohydrates than any of the  others.  I think they taste good too.  They outta serve this stuff on ice cream.

During my last marathon and during current long runs I've developed a new plan though.  I mix a cup of Polycose in with the water I carry in my 700ml handheld.  Polycose is pure carbohydrate.  So, every time I take a sip of water I get a small dose of carbs.  I think it helps dramatically with recovery.  I have no idea whether it helps during the run or not, though I subjectively think so.  I wish there were some way to actually clinically evaluate this.

Julia1971

RVD, I'm actually in the Washington, DC area. The robbery - did I mention it was an ARMED robbery? - happened on one of the very popular trails in Northern Virginia at noon time. Very scary. I've joked with friends in the past about how dumb a criminal would have to be to rob a jogger since you usually don't have much on us. Guess I'll have to change my attitude about that. And, yeah, my 610 is one of the most expensive things I own.

Finally PRed!!!

That's very scary about the armed robbery, Julia! Did they catch the person who did it?

jackdyl11

Good morning! My wife let me sleep in this morning - I've got a little cold and she thought it would get worse if I ran in the morning.  I'm not going to argue with that!  So, 13 vampire miles on tap for tonight.  That was scheduled for Wednesday, but this week is all confused.

Julia - I generally wear my flats whenever I'm trying to hit a pace.  The main benefit from tempo runs or intervals is going to be from stressing a particular system, which I'd think results from effort level rather than pace, so from that standpoint I don't think it really matters what shoes you wear.  However, if I want to lock in 10 mile/half marathon pace, I have to spend a lot of time there, which means tempo runs in flats.  I guess at the beginning of a cycle its less important.  Other than workouts I wear the cushiest shoes I can find.  Also, I don't think my legs could take a 13.24 mile workout in flats.  Or really at all, that's pretty crazy!

SIAR - No never tried the Mizunos.  I'm going to try the Adios out either this weekend or next.  Have you worn those?

JenRosie - Welcome!!  I hope the group can help you get prepped for a great Boston.  I've run two marathons, Boston 2010 being my second.  After ending up in the med tent following both races, I decided marathoning wasn't for me and that I was going to stick with 5k/10k.  But, I couldn't stay away, and it is all because of how awesome Boston was.  The anticipation there was amazing.  Waiting for the start with 25k people, just about all of whom trained their asses off to be there, and who really understand what its like to put it all on the line, its just not something you can get anywhere else.  The other marathon I did was NY09, so another mega marathon.  The crowds were awesome for both, but Boston was special and I can't wait to go back.  My plan is to qualify at New Jersey in May, go for a fast time in Chicago, and then do Boston next year.

CC - sounds like you might have an epic race on your hands.  Good luck!

NTS - Good job on the tempo run.  I love being happily surprised by the garmin.

Everyone else - have fun with your 6m+strides.

I like the discussion about what to eat.  I have a pretty dumb question - For the marathons I did, I had a gel every half hour until I couldn't stand them anymore a little after 20.  I'm going to start experimenting this weekend on my first 20, so that may change (what do you guys do?) My question is, how do you carry your food?  I like to wear split shorts during races, but for the marathons I had the race ready shorts with the pockets in the back.  Will I have to wear those again or is there a better way?  Sorry for the ignorance.

Just B.S.

Morning everyone!  10 miles today.

I updated late last night but was so happy this bears repeating.

I was at coached swimming last night for only the 3rd time. It was a coach I hadn't met before and I told him I

was just getting back at swimming again after really many many years away. Halfway thru the workout he asked

me if I had ever been a  competitive swimmer.  This made my week!!

Scott enjoy your run!

NTS, I really think you need to change your name!!

Julia, that is scary!! I live in "smallville" and there was a murder here about 20 years ago and occassionally a

car or house gets broken into. That's about it.

Good luck with weekend to D.R. and C.C.!!

Food, I carry 4 gels, i don't always use 4, sometimes 3. I "sip" mine starting about 15 minutes before the start and

continue to "sip" thru the race until the 35km mark.  My secret weapon is my fig newtons. I need to nibble on

something solid or my stomach gets upset. They are easily digestible carbs and I carry 2 and eat tiny bits thru

the race.

Jack,  my hubby ran Boston 2010!! it was his first Boston and largest marathon at that point. That  day was

my turning point into full marathons.  At age 48,  10 years of running and 16 half marathons (first 2003) the

feeling at Boston was unlike anything I have ever experienced. Hubby has been running fulls since 2005 and

between his fulls and my halfs I have been at the start/finish of dozens of marathons and NEVER felt inspired

to run my own full until that day. I literally was at the start line when the leaders went out and the finish line

when they came in. I had goosebumps the entire time. Hearing the crowd roar come up Boylston when the

leaders turned was a feeling I can't explain.

If you need any "general" photos from that day I have lots so feel free to ask.

This was the tail end of the start. I was surprised to see so many people in costumes.

I was standing just off the last block just a few feet before the finish. The jumbotron was great!

This was the start line. That was my position. It was amazing to be there.  I just kept sneaking my way forward

thru people. I'm small and people didn't seem to notice!LOL

PressingOn

Hey all!  Cross-training day for me which will be swim clinic this evening and some core work this afternoon.  I'm glad it's not running.  I'm actually quite tired today.  I noticed on my run yesterday that my energy level wasn't quite up to par.  I thought perhaps it was because I fueled improperly the evening before (it wasn't a great dinner since dd wanted to cook, ended up ruining the pasta and we had no time to make much else before having to run out the door) but by last night I was feeling like maybe I'm fighting something off.  I don't feel sick ... yet ... but my body does feel tired and my eyes are burning.  Vitamin C load up and sleeping in tomorrow!

SIAR - Sounds like an interesting article. And you're right, most people finish behind somebody else and we all usually finish in front of somebody else. Usually.  Lol!  I do love how encouraging and supportive this group is regardless of pace.

Julia - Scary about the robbery on the trail. My coach used to be a police officer.  On our run we did our warm up together, some strides together and then our main set of intervals, on our own, at our own paces.  Instead of simply running ahead of me she kept doubling back. During our cooldown, which we did together,  she said it was because she thought some guy on his bicycle looked sketchy and wanted to stay close together. She said her background for safety comes in handy. I thought how handy to have her as a coach for reasons other than running. Then I thought, "and what if I'd been running alone as is often the case?  I didn't pay that guy much attention at all." I found myself a little more "aware" than usual on my run yesterday and  double checking everything.  It's actually a pretty safe trail but your story proves bad and scary things can happen anywhere and at anytime.

Beth - Well, that is a confidence boost on your swimming. I've got swim clinic tonight. Drills for me too!  I doubt they will ask if I was every a competitive swimmer though.  Ha!

CC - Ah, you did post on Wednesday. We just delete your posts. Ha ha. Kidding, of course. Good luck on Sunday!  I hope the weather cooperates and that the race is fun and your secret goal is met but if it's not, that you still have fun.

Swift - Hurray for fitness improvement. That's a confidence boost, too.

Scott - Enjoy the strides!

JenRosie - Glad you had a good 5 miler.

RVD - Hmm, that Polycose sounds interesting. Does it have any flavor? Sounds like a tough workout scheduled for tomorrow. Good job getting the 6 done on the tm today.

Jackdl - I like the term vampire miles. As for carrying food, I like clothes with pockets. I have some shirts with back pockets and I especially like those.  I've used a spibelt in the past as well but prefer not to have a belt.