GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Just B.S.

Morning Scott!!!LOL I snuck in there!!

Happy Ground Hog Day and Happy Birthday to Dot my 84 yr old Auntie!! She is one cool chick!

Off to swimming, it will make  almost 6k in the pool this week!

Have a great day!

Mostly Harmless

Good morning!  I woke up with some pain in my right knee several times through the night. I'm not sure what's going on with that but I'm a little concerned. I'll head out for 18 in about an hour but I may have to shut it down if the pain doesn't clear up.

I hope your Saturday is a good one!

Bad Ass

Morning!  10 miles tonight.

Beth, enjoy swimming.

Scott, hope the knee does not bother you during the 18.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

I'm up!  But, waiting to see if we actually get into the 30s before heading out for my long run - 18 miles.  I figure I'll do some housework and maybe make a quick trip to the mall until then.

Just B.S., Enjoy the pool!

Scott, I hope the knee is one of those phantom pains that goes away.

D_R, I hope you're not working today and have a good one.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
            Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

After pizza and beer last night, still woke up at the usual time even though I now have weekends off.  The windchill was near zero so went to the TM for 16.2 at near MP.  It was my longest run since Thanksgiving.  Today I'll be doing taxes.  No, really, today's the day!

Scott--that's weird about your knee.  Hopefully, it will just go away.

Beth--hope you had a good swim

Damaris--I'll bet you're glad the weekend is here

Julia--Have a good LR.  Have you done many on the TM?

Think I may have a problem. I was doing my 2wu+8@MP+2cd and was just about finished with the 8@MP (7.93 miles to be exact) when I felt a sharp pain in my left hamstring. Guess I'd better Google up the care and feeding of a hamstring and perhaps go find a hamstring doctor. Next couple of marathons (March & May) are looking a bit iffy right now. :-(

It seems all such injuries take at least 6 weeks.  Not sure it is worth going to the orthopaedist and getting an MRI just to be told to take 6 weeks off running.  I was just about to hit my highest mileage week of all time, 71.xx.  This will definitely kill off the Shamrock in 7 weeks.

I won't know what to do with myself in the meantime.  I just hit my lowest weight since high school, 156.5.  Think I'll order pizza and start the running layoff.

Bad Ass

I am!

Are you still doing Boston?

After pizza and beer last night, still woke up at the usual time even though I now have weekends off.  The windchill was near zero so went to the TM for 16.2 at near MP.  It was my longest run since Thanksgiving.  Today I'll be doing taxes.  No, really, today's the day!

Scott--that's weird about your knee.  Hopefully, it will just go away.

Beth--hope you had a good swim

Damaris--I'll bet you're glad the weekend is here

Julia--Have a good LR.  Have you done many on the TM?

Blog

Bad Ass

Julia, morning!

Take care of that hamstring!

Think I may have a problem. I was doing my 2wu+8@MP+2cd and was just about finished with the 8@MP (7.93 miles to be exact) when I felt a sharp pain in my left hamstring. Guess I'd better Google up the care and feeding of a hamstring and perhaps go find a hamstring doctor. Next couple of marathons (March & May) are looking a bit iffy right now. :-(

It seems all such injuries take at least 6 weeks.  Not sure it is worth going to the orthopaedist and getting an MRI just to be told to take 6 weeks off running.  I was just about to hit my highest mileage week of all time, 71.xx.  This will definitely kill off the Shamrock in 7 weeks.

I won't know what to do with myself in the meantime.  I just hit my lowest weight since high school, 156.5.  Think I'll order pizza and start the running layoff.

Blog

Damaris--yep...just biding my time

Mostly Harmless

Just finished 18 with the last 12 at MP. Actually they were well under my target MP. Back later for personals.

ETA: Knee pain went away entirely by the time I started. I'm thrilled with my splits for the last 12. My goal of sub 4 seems more than reasonable at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can avoid injury and/or illness.

PressingOn

Hi all!  I get to go to swim clinic this evening.  I'm excited for it as I've missed the last 2.  I also am determined to get my core/strength workout in today.  I will not skip it!

Julia - Enjoy the 18 today.  And the mall.  I guess.Smile  I don't do malls.  I hate the crowds. Not the worst of taper madness by far.  I feel like this time isn't going to be as bad food wise.  However, you'll probably notice my posting here more often as I get antsy.  Weather checking will come into play too as soon as I'm 10 days out.

SIAR - My taco soup recipe is simple.  That's why I like it.  I don't have exact measurements. Take however many cans of whatever type of beans you want (kidney, black, chili, etc) and dump them in a pot or crockpot.  Don't drain them. I use 3-4 cans for my family of 4 and we have leftovers. Next, add one or two cans of corn (undrained), 3-4 cans of stewed or diced tomatoes, 1 or 2 cans of green chili's, a chopped onion, cooked ground beef or I use ground turkey meat.  1/2 to 1 cup of water (based on how much of the other ingredients you used and how thick or watery you want your soup).  1 pack of taco seasoning (more or less to taste) and the secret ingredient (which isn't so secret), a pack of dry ranch dressing.  Let it stew and when done top with tortilla chips of choice, sour cream, and cheese.  Easy peasy, fairly inexpensive and easy to tweak for the amount you want to make.  And it really does make good leftovers.

Beth - 6K in the pool is awesome!  Happy Bday to your aunt!

Scott - Happy the knee didn't bother you. What a relief, huh?  Did 18 feel short after your 22? Smile

Damaris - Enjoy your 10 this evening.

Marco - After my tm lr I am even more impressed with the 16 at mp. Good luck on taxes. My dh will be looking at ours. Well, more like getting things ready for our tax person to look at. I don't touch tax stuff. I'm not allowed as my brain doesn't operate that way and I mess things up more than I help.

RVD - Oh no on the hamstring! I tweaked mine training for my first half and had to miss the race. My brother is a PT and gave me a great stretch for it. I've not had an issue since. Prop your leg on a chair and keep your foot flexed straight up. Lean over and hold stretch for 60 seconds. Next, lean your flexed foot to the left and hold stretch for 60 seconds. Finally lean your foot to the right and repeat the stretch. He said by moving your foot that little bit you get all areas of your hamstring in the stretch. Maybe it will help?

Finally PRed!!!

Happy Groundhog Day all! Hope SIAR had a great race!

B.S.: Hope you had a nice swim.

Docket: Have a nice 10 tonight!

Julia: Hope you had a nice 18.

marco: Great job with the MP run on the TM.

RVD: Maybe the ham will feel better soon. I occasionally get a little tweak that doesn't last long.

Scott: Glad your 18 with 12 @ MP went well. Glad the knee pain was gone.

Pressing: Hope the swim clinic later goes well.

I ran the 1.3 to the LRS to meet the group, then 12 with them. Legs were pretty sore still, so it was nice to have a shorter run . Will probably do 12-13 tomorrow also. Have a great Saturday, all!

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey everybody!  So the racing conditions weren't exactly great, to say the least.  The whole course was a combination of ice and snow, and made for some pretty crazy footing.  Going in, I thought I could run sub-18 if they had the roads cleared.  Clearly, they did not!  Oh, and the start temp was a whopping 12 degrees, so not exactly made for limber limbs and open lungs.

As for the race, I started out at the front and just gave it what I had.  I went out a little too quickly and lead through the first mile.  They were using an ATV as the pace vehicle, and the exhaust was not fun.  As soon as the course headed uphill, I knew I was in a bit of trouble as my traction wasn't great.  I was just wearing my SkySpeed trainers, and my feet really slipped unless I chopped my stride.   Plus, even though I'm getting better at it, I'm still a bit of a heavy-footed runner; not ideal for snowy runs.

Right about the first mile marker I got passed by the guy that went on to win.  By mile two my hamstrings really started to tighten up, so I did my best just to relax my stride and keep my feet under me.  Near the end of mile 2 I got passed again, and that's where I stayed for the rest of the race.  I didn't give much of a push, but did manage to sneak in a sub-19.  I did notice that the other two runners had trail shoes and cross-country shoes on, respectively.  That would have been a better choice for me, but they still ran better races and deserved to finish where they did.

Splits:

6:10

6:12

6:25

forgot to stop watch...overall 18:59, 3rd place.

Given the conditions, I'm okay with the effort.  I probably kept it closer to 90% just to be safe, especially after I started to tighten up.  This was really just to give my mind a break from marathon training, and was a nice event to throw in during a cutback week.  Back to the grind and 80-some miles next week!

I'm the second guy coming in

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

PressingOn

SIAR - Great job!  I'd say you were at a disadvantage with your shoes compared to the shoes of those ahead of you.  And wow, look at all that hair on your face!  Lol!  You look so different from the last photo you posted.  It works for the snowy photo's.  Wink  Anyway, great job in some tough racing conditions.  I can do 2 miles in sub 19.  Big grin

Swift - You seem to do a lot of 12 to 13 miles runs.  Is that a favorite distance?