ImNotScott- 5/3 - White Oak Classic 5K.

ImNotScott- 5/5 - Frederick Running Festival HM

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

PressingOn - 5/5 - Tacoma City Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 05/5 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11 - Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 5/11 - Mermaid Run East Bay Sirena18 (18 miles)

Marco59 - 5/12 - Fredericton Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19 - Run for the Red Marathon

Julia1971 - 5/19 - Capitol Hill Classic 10K

Runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

Julia1971 - 5/26 - Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon

June:

Julia1971 - 6/8 - Lawyers Have Heart 10K

Docket_Rocket - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

hilltopper91 - 6/21 - Media 5 Mile Race

BruceD555 - 06/22 - Grandma's Marathon

marco59 - 6/23 - Bay of Fundy Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

AthenaofAmerica - 7/6 Dirty Half Dozen 6-Hour Endurance Run

August:

Patti678 - 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

Runmomto3boys - 10/6 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

BruceD555 - 10/06 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 10/19 - Folsom Blues Breakout Half Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

ImNotScott - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Julia1971

Good morning.  I have 7 recovery miles on the schedule with some strides.  The weather is supposed to be beautiful here for the next few days.  I want to savor it because by next month, it's going to be miserable.

I've been tinkering with my NYCM training plan already - calculating what race times and training paces I'm going to want to see for 3:18.  I'm in for some hard work!  I think I'm going to spend the next few months trying to train closer to those paces while still getting in some recovery.

Coffee time!

Pressing, I read CC's comments yesterday and realize now that your marathon is on Sunday and it's already Thursday.  I agree that the forecast might not change that much.  Sad  It's frustrating when we train so hard for weeks or months and then something like the weather derails our best laid plans.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Good morning,

Hopefully, today will be much quieter for me and I can get 5 or 6 in after work.

Rachel--What you said yesterday happened to me also at Boston.  Training had gone great, weather was perfect, I had great expectations and was very disappointed when I didn't hit my goal.  It was my 7th marathon and my first non-PR and I was trying for a big one.  I should've had more fun especially for the money we spent.  I guess I was too ambitious.  Next weekend the race is small, it's close to home, and it's fast.  I would like to just go for it again, but I am going to take it easy the first half, see how I feel, and hopefully PR.  I'll be happy if it's only a minute or two.

Julia--we are getting fantastic weather here...60s in the days 40s at night with no rain.  It is never this dry this time of year.  Unfortunately, as much as I like the warm weather (yes, it's warm for here) I was hoping for a cool down by next Sunday.

Mostly Harmless

Good Morning.  SRD for me today, 5K tomorrow at HMP, RD with a long walk on Saturday, HM Sunday.

Have a great day all!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971- Good morning and thank you for starting things off today. Hope your 7 recovery miles are good ones later on today. I've been on RA long enough to have remembered seeing your posts as I lurked in the Sub 3:30 thread, however I can't recall what training plan you've used before. Anyway, good luck with the 3:18 training for NYC.

marco59- It sounds like you've got some really nice weather right now and hopefully you'll get a bit of a cool down for next Sunday. Enjoy your day and hopefully you can get the time to get in your 5 or 6 this evening.

I got in 6+ miles last night and will probably add another 5-7 recovery miles this evening. We're cooler today (highs in the 50's with rain) than the past few days (70-80) but at least no thunderstorms. Last night's run was at a really easy effort but my pace was dropping back down so I'm feeling good about recovery thus far. I'll continue to do easy runs this week as I transition back to Pfitz's bridge plan for multiple marathons.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Finally PRed!!!

Morning!

Julia: Enjoy the 7 with strides. Good luck working out your training for New York. Enjoy the beautiful weather.

marco: Hope you get your 5 or 6 in later.

Scott: Enjoy your RD. How are the Achilles feeling? As far as your question yesterday as to whether I enjoyed having someone to push me at those runs--mostly, yes. The legs had already been ready to go faster after a couple easy days, and I enjoy running a little faster as long as the legs feel good. The only thing that I was a little concerned about yesterday is that I knew I had intervals later with the group, and didn't want to compromise them. Luckily, I don't think I did.

Bruce: Glad you recovery is going well. I may try doing 2 marathons with a similar amount of time between as it looks like yours are, as I am contemplating a December one (which would be a PR attempt) after my October one (which probably won't be). So far, I've always had at least 7 months between marathons.

Pressing: That is a bummer about the weather. It is always tough when you end up having to race in much warmer and sunnier than what you've trained in. That's the reason I kind of like fall marathons more than spring ones. It sounds like deciding to enjoy the experience might be better than going hard after a big goal (unless you have improved so much that you feel like you could PR in the tougher conditions).

I have just 4 today with one of my running then beers afterward groups, planning to run them pretty easy. I was going to do 6 today, but since I already have more miles than planned this week, I'll scale it back to just 4. I don't want to go too much over 50 for the week, with the added quality work. The intervals yesterday didn't go too badly for the first time in a while. They were actually a little longer than 400s since the place we did them is not a standard size track (it is a 0.52 mile dirt one in the park). I ended up doing them around what should be my Daniels I pace (recoveries were ~200m jog, but we took a short--maybe 60 sec--break between each set of 4 to drink water). Did 3 sets, so 12 total.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

CompetitiveChik

Nothing for me today. SRD. I'm super sore from yesterdays workout. My whole upper is screamin at me. I can't feel a place that isn't sore.

So I was workin at our other shop yesterday. I was talkin to one of the new guys about runnin (he's a runner too). He invited me along on the group runs that goes on on sundays. They're pretty fast (8:30's, which is where I need to be). He said, and I agree, that I need to run with ppl faster than me cause it'll make me faster. Goin runnin with them I'll wanna keep up and "not them down" (kinda thing.) He's suppose to email me the info today. I'm actually pretty excited about it too. which is funny cause I hate runnin in groups and won't run with my coach and her group. I think part of that, though, is I know those ppl and have to see them all the time. I don't really care for any of them and would rather not hang out with them outside of work. also too they like to gab a while before actually get to training.(which was made evident at saturdays race. Coach told us to be there by 6:30 so we could all stretch together. She didn't get there till after 7 and we never did stretch.)  I'm more focused and just want to "go" when I get there.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Bad Ass

Morning!  I have an SRD and travel day.  Still at work for the full day and then to rush to get the kitties ready and then leave.

I did an extra 2.65 with hubby last night.  He has been really keeping a 3 day week workout.

Julia, enjoy your 7 with strides.

marco, morning!

Scott, a 5K on Friday?  I assume it's at night?  have fun!

Bruce, enjoy the double.  BTW, we have a FB group too if interested.

swift, enjoy the 4 and beers.

CC, enjoy the rest.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Just B.S.

I'm running some undetermind distance today but I got the wind knocked out of my sails first thing

and am still in a bit of shock.

My best friend since grade 10 (I was her maid of honor and she was mine) emailed to let me know

that her first husband (the wedding I stood up in) and a great guy whom we spent a lot of time with in

our late teens-late 20's was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  I had seen him as recently

as 6 months ago, had a great chat and talked about old times. They didn't have any children

together and have been divorced for almost 20 years but are still on good terms.

He was happily remarried and his daughter is only 10 years old.

He was only diagnosed recently but apparently it was late in the illness and he is being moved to

a hospice today. He is the same age as me, 51. I feel like I have been punched in the gut.

Sorry for the downer folks. But with everything I have been through in the last few months hearing this

just hit me hard.

PressingOn

Hi all!  Thanks for all the advice yesterday everyone. You all are great!  I have 800's of mp practice today.  I am going to wait for some heat to practice in to see how it feels.  I also emailed my coach about it and she responded that yes, she'd been thinking about me and this race.  Her suggestion was, if I want to, I can start out at mp, hydrate plenty, maybe take some salt with me and when I need to slow down, do so.  I really am okay with making this a for fun race.  I ran my last two at a for fun pace so why not this one?  Scenery will be great so I can play racing photographer.  I figure I can choose a nice cool fall race and go for a PR then.

Julia - If anyone can do the hard work for a 3:18, you can! Oh yes, I think we are solidly in a warming trend. There's always a chance for cooling but I think it's small. Especially since many people who are not running a marathon this weekend are praying for this warmth. Wink

Bruce - Good advice to slow down before I melt. How fun to have literally run into an old friend like that (referring to yesterday's post).

CC - You have a good point. This won't be lowering my expectations, it will be changing them.

Marco - Hopefully you'll cool back down before next Sunday. Meanwhile, enjoy the temps.

Scott - Good luck this weekend with your busy race schedule!  Sounds like fun!

Swift - Have a great run today. Good job on your intervals yesterday. Generally, I prefer fall marathons also. I picked this one mostly because it is supposed to be beautiful and it's the Maniac Reunion race.

CC - Enjoy your much deserved SRD. Sounds like this new running group will be good for you.  And I remember how hard you took that other race.  I guess that's something I'm actually pretty good at.  When a race doesn't go as planned I tend to be able to shake it off pretty easily.

Damaris - Have a great trip and a wonderful marathon! Hey, way to control your laughter as I cry about my heat wave. Wink

Beth - That's too bad about your friend. Cancer sucks, especially when there are young children at home who will be left behind.  SadHugs.

jackdyl11

I did my last track workout, if you can call it that.  Just 2 miles at marathon pace.  I managed to hit my paces pretty well - 6:06, 6:01 vs 6:05 GMP.  However, the rest of the group was doing a longer tempo run, and someone was running at ~6:00 pace, so I kinda cheated by pacing off him.  I still have no feel on my MP! Not a good feeling with less than three days to go!

Julia - Yes, the weather is perfect!!  Are you calculating training paces based on a goal time, or based on where you are right now?  I say that, but I think your HM time was definitely strong enough to justify a 3:18.

Marco - Good post.  I obviously put way too much pressure on myself to hit my goal times and can get pretty upset when I don't.  I think though that you can still shoot for a goal time in a hot race (as long as it isn't 80 degrees), but you have to reduce your expectations.  If you slow down at the start you can still get that good, completely finished, feeling at the end.

Scott - Have fun on your easy miles!

Bruce - Glad the recovery is still going well.  May is the best! I look forward to May weather all year long.

NTS - Sounds like a good workout last night.

jackdyl11

I wrote up my post then had to go to a meeting sending it, so I missed a bunch of people:

CC - Cool you found a fast group to run with!

DR - You're nicer to your cats than we are.  We're just planning to give them a big bowl of food and water.  But don't tell anyone!

Just BS - I'm so sorry.  You have been through a lot in the past few months.  I can't even think of a silver lining, that is just tough.  How is your friend doing?

Pressing - Sorry I took your weather! It's now supposed to be about 50 at the start.  Perfect! I think you can still run a hard effort if you choose to, though, just by slowering down 10 seconds from the start.  But, a fun race sounds like fun, too!

Bad Ass

Oh, yeah we do that.  I also have a neighbor giving them wet food every day since they love it.  They do get some love before we leave, depending on the time we have between work and the flight  Haha.

Beth, sorry to hear the news.

I wrote up my post then had to go to a meeting sending it, so I missed a bunch of people:

CC - Cool you found a fast group to run with!

DR - You're nicer to your cats than we are.  We're just planning to give them a big bowl of food and water.  But don't tell anyone!

Just BS - I'm so sorry.  You have been through a lot in the past few months.  I can't even think of a silver lining, that is just tough.  How is your friend doing?

Pressing - Sorry I took your weather! It's now supposed to be about 50 at the start.  Perfect! I think you can still run a hard effort if you choose to, though, just by slowering down 10 seconds from the start.  But, a fun race sounds like fun, too!

Blog

Bad Ass

Nice job on the MP miles.

I did my last track workout, if you can call it that.  Just 2 miles at marathon pace.  I managed to hit my paces pretty well - 6:06, 6:01 vs 6:05 GMP.  However, the rest of the group was doing a longer tempo run, and someone was running at ~6:00 pace, so I kinda cheated by pacing off him.  I still have no feel on my MP! Not a good feeling with less than three days to go!

Julia - Yes, the weather is perfect!!  Are you calculating training paces based on a goal time, or based on where you are right now?  I say that, but I think your HM time was definitely strong enough to justify a 3:18.

Marco - Good post.  I obviously put way too much pressure on myself to hit my goal times and can get pretty upset when I don't.  I think though that you can still shoot for a goal time in a hot race (as long as it isn't 80 degrees), but you have to reduce your expectations.  If you slow down at the start you can still get that good, completely finished, feeling at the end.

Scott - Have fun on your easy miles!

Bruce - Glad the recovery is still going well.  May is the best! I look forward to May weather all year long.

NTS - Sounds like a good workout last night.

Blog

PressingOn

Jackdyl11 - We leave our cats in similar fashion.  Self feeding bowl and water dish.  If we're gone a few days we'll have my mom and dad come check on them a couple times but yes, overall, they are self-sufficient!  Enjoy your weather this weekend.  Our starting temp should be in the low 50's also but unlike you, I'll be on the course a long time.  I tell you what, I'll let you keep our weather if you can manage to pass me some of your speed.  Big grin