Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 5/25/2013 (Read 13 times)

May:

Julia1971 - 5/26 - Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon

CompetitiveChik - 5/27 - Patriots Day Half Marathon - Goal 1:55

Docket_Rocket - 5/27 - Memorial Day 5K

June:

Julia1971 - 6/8 - Lawyers Have Heart 10K

Docket_Rocket - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

hilltopper91 - 6/21 - Media 5 Mile Race

BruceD555 - 06/22 - Grandma's Marathon

marco59 - 6/23 - Bay of Fundy Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

AthenaofAmerica - 7/6 Dirty Half Dozen 6-Hour Endurance Run

August:

Patti678 - 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

Runmomto3boys - 10/6 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

BruceD555 - 10/06 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 10/19 - Folsom Blues Breakout Half Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

ImNotScott - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 11/10 - Ft. Myers Beach Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 11/17 - Philadelphia Marathon (Tentative)

December

Docket_Rocket - 12/1 - Space Coast Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 12/8 - West Palm Beach Marathon

Train smart ... race smarter.

Good morning folks. I woke up to the sound of rain falling outside our bedroom window and decided that my 6 miles for today could wait...for now it's coffee time. I ran 9 miles last night after work and though I had my Garmin I just ran it by feel at what I perceived as an easy pace. Looking back over my splits I barely varied from the average 7:58 at all. The only exceptions were a slower 8:07 on the Main St. hill and the final mile when a little yipper dog chased me for a block and a half running down the middle of the street.

Mostly Harmless

Good morning Bruce. I had a similar thought this morning when I looked out the window and say how hard the wind was blowing but after a cup of coffee I reconsidered.  I only had a short window of available time this morning so procrastinating made me drop my planned 10 miles to 6. I'll have to drag myself out of bed earlier tomorrow and get in that 10.

Currently getting ready to head out for a soccer tournament about an hour and 15 minutes away from home.  Having a team cookout between games so it should be a fun day.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

Good morning!  I didn't sleep very well last night - woke up at 4am and didn't fall back asleep until 6am.  I had a little bit of a cough but not terrible.  I'm planning to do a shake out run in the early afternoon in prep for my race tomorrow.  I'm kind of in denial about it - I have no idea when it starts, how I'm getting there, etc.  In the meanwhile, I'm going to work on my NYCM training plan.  I still have a month to go until I have to start training, though.

Bruce, That's some good pacing.  Was that faster than your easy runs were while marathon training?  I'm finding mine are much faster these days.

Scott, Have a fun afternoon!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Bad Ass

Morning!  Only 14 this morning because it got too hot out.  I wanted at least 15-18 but I was not willing to risk my body and recovery on 88F and 73DP so early in the morning.  More miles later!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning runners.

Bruce...Nice job on the pacing.  I love when my runs are that consistent.  It usually takes me pretty well into a marathon cycle before I get that dialed in.  I hope you find some time for the miles later on.

Scott...At least you were still able to get a few in.  I think you guys are finally getting the weather that had been blowing through here the last couple days.  Enjoy the soccer!  It's amazing how nostalgic just seeing your posts about it makes me.

Julia...Sorry for the rough sleep.  I hope you find your race mojo prior to tomorrow.  If not, you can always just run it and enjoy it.  I need to start putting my fall marathon plan together too.  Thinking about training for 20 weeks still sounds a little daunting at the moment though.

Docket...Hope the later miles are more pleasant for you than what today's weather was.

I think I'm going to head out for a quick little 6 miles here.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

fake it till you make it

Hello my long lost Daily friends- haven't been able to be on the RA forum since after Boston due to other busy stuff going on, but I'm back now.

Mileage hasn't been exactly what I wanted since Boston but not too bad. Raced a 10k, and getting ready to run my first 50K next weekend (yikes!).  Not racing it at all, running with a friend and we're just aiming to finish and hopefully have a little fun along the way, and not get lost and eaten by bear/coyote/mountain lion/whatever lurks in the woods. Wink   After the 50K planning a summer and fall of shorter races and probably won't marathon again until next spring. No promises though. Smile

Bruce-  Hi bruce- nice you "meet" you!  Sounds like you had a great run last night.  I've had a couple of those chased by dogs moments too where I'd love to know what my pace was for that 100 yards!

Scott, as a coffee addict, I think choosing reduced mileage AND coffee was a great compromise. Smile

Julia I love all the racing you are doing- fun to stalk and you are getting quite a lot of hardware.  Are you planning on Pfitz for NYCM?

Docket  "only" 14?  Isn't it funny what we distance runners start thinking of as easy/only/short/normal?  Hope it cools off before you get more miles in.

Good morning SIAR!  I don't think I was around here for your last marathon, but I see from your log you had a fantastic race! Congrats!!!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I ended up with about 6.5 miles...nothing very exciting.  I think my legs are feeling some of the fatigue from the fact that this is my first week back to doing any real mileage.  I'm glad I opted against doing a race this weekend.  Even though the conditions were perfect, I don't think I would have had much in me.

Jen...Nice to see you again!  Even if your mileage hasn't been quite what you wanted, it definitely looks consistent enough to handle a 50k, especially if you're not racing.  And it should help that you'll have a friend to help you fend off the creatures that lurk in the woods.  Thanks for the race congrats.  Everything went perfectly for me.  It was about a 3 minute negative split and I just got stronger throughout the race.  I've been a little slow to get my motivation going again, but I'm okay with that.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

I did a short and easy 4 miler earlier and then took a nap.  Smile  I kinda needed one since I didn't sleep well but had to force myself up to make sure I could still sleep tonight.  I'm in the process of making a spaghetti dinner and then I'll paint my nails for good luck.  I'm thinking orange since my Mizunos are lilac and orange.

D_R, That heat and humidity is oppressive.  It was a nice day today.  People are actually bummed that it's Memorial Day weekend but too cool to use the pools now that they're open.

JenRosie, Welcome back!  Hope life is getting back to normal after Boston.  Have fun and good luck eluding the wildlife...  Yes, I'm sticking with Pfitz.  And this time, I'm going to follow it to a tee rather than make my ill-conceived adjustments to the long runs and tempo runs.  Today, I spent some time going back in my log to see how the heat effected me so I could make adjustments to my pacing expectations for those workouts rather than shortening them.  We'll see how that works instead...

SIAR, Sorry to hear your legs aren't happy with the mileage uptick.  No point in rushing back...  I'm actually anxious to start up again.  Feel free to cut and paste that sentence and remind me of it when I'm in the middle of the marathon doldrums in October.  LOL!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

ImNotScott- Sorry you had to cut your run to 6 for the time but I hope you had a great day with the soccer game & cookout. I think tomorrow morning will be my summer switch day to morning runs ... I have 18 planned and I'd much prefer to have that one out of the way so we can enjoy the afternoon as a family.

Julia1971- Sorry to hear you didn't sleep well last night but it sounds like you got that nap in after your short 4 miles this afternoon. (Actually I managed to sneak in a quick nap before my run this afternoon so we're thinking along the same lines today) Yep, I'm running faster now than I was during last training cycle ... but even then I noticed a boost in speed about midway through that training. Enjoy your spaghetti tonight & the nails/shoes coordinating.

Docket_Rocket- Sorry you have to swelter even though you get up early to try to get in the miles. Good choice to cut things short at 14 and then regroup to run another day. (You don't even want to hear what my weather is like right now ... but I'm still gonna tell you - overcast & 58 degrees Wink

So_Im_a_Runner- It's weird on how sometimes I just get locked into a pace. The same thing happed last year where it seemed like 8:36 was the "magic" pace for all runs. Right now it's more like 7:58 that just feels right. Sorry you're a bit fatigued but nice work on getting in those 6+ miles today. I kind of had the same mental block in getting back into training after the Illinois marathon ... just a lack of motivation - but once I actually got back to real "training" and not just recovery runs things seemed to get better. Hopefully you'll hit the groove again soon.

JenRosie- Nice to meet you as well & I hope your 50k goes well next weekend ... and there are no lions, tigers or bears. Like SIAR said, it looks like you've kept up the training to be able to have a fun time with your friend on the 50k, especially since you're not racing it. How's the trail look for that race? Hilly & technical or a fun tromp through the woods?

I got in 6 uneventful miles this afternoon after a 40 minute power nap. Of course that was after a full morning of cleaning and chores around the house/yard.

7.65 done this afternoon in the rain and 46 degrees....it's late May!!!  Wore a rain jacket and almost considered gloves.  I was completely soaked.  However, one good thing about VFFs is not having to deal with wet socks.  It did not get above 50 today and tomorrow promises to be a wet one as well.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...Naps are the best!  Enjoy the pasta and your pre-race painting rituals.  My legs really aren't too bad, but I just figured racing wasn't necessary.  I'll make sure to remind you about your marathon excitement.  I've actually been sitting down with my plan for a while today and trying to look at what worked and what didn't last cycle.  If I go for Columbus I'll actually have to start a 20 week plan on 6/3 - crazy!  I'm thinking I may do more speed in the first 4 weeks than the plan calls for, since I probably don't need as slow of a build up given that I'm coming off a good training cycle.  That should give me the option to race a little more, which I'd really like to do.  Good luck tomorrow!

Bruce...I completely understand your point about feeling locked into a certain pace.  I think that's still something to be cautious about though, or at least it was for me.  A couple marathon cycles ago, it was very easy for me to do all my easy runs at about 7:41.  Despite the fact that it was easy to run, it wasn't easy enough to sustain the other quality work I was trying to do and the pace eventually caught up to me.  I'm not saying you're heading down that road, but it is something to keep in mind.  The other thing is that I have an injury history, whereas you may not, so that might account for the fact that most of our easy running is actually done at the same pace.  As for getting back into the training, I think you're right - it'll be nice to get back to workouts and not just runs.

Marco...Looks like you're going to have a few extra miles to run tomorrow to get back to that 10 average for your monthly goal.  I wouldn't have wanted to stay out in that weather any longer than you did though.  Hopefully you can dodge the drops tomorrow.

Yep.  Now I need almost 68 miles over the next six days