PressingOn - 3/30 - Cupcake Run 5K

April:

Docket_Rocket - 04/07 - Marathon Paris

runnrchic- 04/07- Gulf Coast HM, Pensacola

Julia1971 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

Jackdyl11 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

joe1775 - 4/13  - Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50

Docket_Rocket - 04/14 - Key Biscayne Half Marathon

So_Im_a_Runner - 4/14 Union Half Marathon (1:30 pacer)

marco59 - 4/15 - Boston - goal: 3:05

markrice - 4/15 Boston - goal sub 3:15

GregTR - 4/15 - Boston

JenRosie - 4/15 - Boston

onemile - 04/20 - Carmel Marathon

Xrayman: 4/21: Lansing Marathon

GregTR - 4/21 - London Marathon

SIAR - 4/28 - Glass City Marathon

GoneFishing - 04/28 - Big Sur, CA

Julia1971 - 4/28 - Nike Women's Half Marathon

May:

hilltopper91 - 05/05 - Broad Street Run

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

PressingOn - 5/5 - Tacoma City Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19-Run for the Red Marathon

runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 06/16/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4- Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

August:

Patti678- 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Julia1971

Why am I still getting up so early?  LOL!

I still haven't sketched out a schedule so I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing today.  It's 28 degrees out, so I'm not excited at the idea of running.  What happened to spring?  I could go to the gym.  But, looking at the forecast, it's not warming up next week either.

The massage last night was great.  But, my calves feel more sore today than they did all week.  Sad

I bought a new Garmin yesterday.  My current one has gone on the fritz a few time and failing during a goal marathon is unacceptable.

Happy running everyone!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Mostly Harmless

Good morning.  I woke up with a lot of soreness in my lower calves and ankles.  I'm taking that as a sign that I shouldn't have run yesterday and will take a few more rest days.  Maybe by that time the weather will remember what season it is and warm up a little.

Julia - Sorry you won't be joining us for pancakes in May. Smile I love my little adopted home town of Frederick and I like to promote our race.  Enjoy your run/rest day!

Hello to all that follow!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

thinkin about glory days

Good Morning, Julia.  Enjoy your run (stay warm!) and have fun with the new Garmin.

Just got back from a chilly 3.3 mi run - Day 4 of the streak.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

jackdyl11

Sorry for not posting, work got busy this week.  I had a decent 4 mile tempo workout last night at goal 10 mile pace.  It felt a bit harder than I would like but I'm going to write that off to the cold and me being exhausted.  Today I'm just going to do an easy 10.  I can't wait for Spring to come back! What happened to the nice temps?

Julia - That was not cool about your watch! I'd be getting a new one too.  Which one did you get?

Scott - Sorry your legs weren't into running yet!  mmmm pancakes.   That's my new plan for after CB.

Hilltopper - Good job coming back and getting out in the cold!

Finally PRed!!!

Morning everyone!

Julia: Glad the massage was great, but sorry your calves are sore. I'm not planning on having any kind of schedule for my running for the next couple of weeks. I will have (after this week) sort of a rough idea of what kind of miles I'll try to do. But no particular plan of x miles on y day. Good luck figuring out what to do, and congrats on the new Garmin.

Scott: Sorry about the soreness. Hope the rest takes care of it.

hill: Great job with the streak so far.

I ran 4.48  recovery pace miles this morning. Legs feel pretty good. A tiny bit of residual soreness still, but it felt great to get out and run. Had trouble falling asleep last night, which is rare for me (and maybe related to all the days off from running), but I felt okay when I got up. Will probably crash early tonight, I guess.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

jack: Nice job with the tempo. Enjoy the easy 10.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Julia1971

I spent the morning entering my training plan.  I tried to strike a balance between trying to recover but remaining sharp for the Cherry Blossom in two weeks.

I think I'm going to do a recovery run during lunch.  I'll have to take leave (which is only bad because I hate figuring it out on my time sheet) but it might be fun to run around the Mall today.

Scott, I swear we're having the same recovery...  Maybe I'll head up that way next year.  I'm not sure about this Nike race.  On the one hand, I think a women only race will be cool.  But on the other hand, I'm hearing some things that make me think it's a bit too girly for my liking.

Hilltopper, 4 days is a good streak.  Keep it rolling.

Jack, I bought another 610.  I like the touch screen and the ease of setting up workouts...  Did you get your CB10M confirmation email?  My bib number is only 3 digits!  Shocked  I'm big time!

Swift, I hear ya about not wanting to jump back into a schedule.  Mentally and physically it's hard to start "training" again.  But, this is prime racing season and after two back-to-back marathon cycles, I really want to do some shorter stuff...  Sounds like you're having a normal recovery.  Hope you get some good sleep tonight.

More later...

Good morning,

Last day at work until April 1, so have a lot of loose ends to tie up here, and at the house.  DId an easy 10 in 23 degree weather.  It felt good so maybe I needed the RD yesterday.

Pizza and beer tonight...my last LR before Boston will be tomorrow.

Julia--I am wondering about spring as well.  Although instead of spring we have mud season and black fly season.

Scott--hope you recover fast.  It takes me a long time and I wonder about the wisdom of planning three marathons within about a nine-week period .

Hill--glad to see you back

Jack and nts--good morning.  I started this post 30 mins ago and just now sent it...got to get back to work

jojo61397

No time for personals...

Rest day.  Going to work with my daughter (for just a few hours), then lunch and mini golfing.  First day of spring break!

FTR:  Monday through Thursday, I will not be posting much.  I'm going to be camping, so lots of running an cross training in store.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                      Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Did 2wu+6(1m@HMPw400r) + 2cd after work yesterday evening.  That first interval felt too hard so I thought I would back off the HMP and just run them fast, but not that fast.  Then the damned Garmin beeped & vibrated at me telling me I was going too slowly.  I had forgotten about the alerts.  Well, damned if I was going to listen to several miles of Garmin telling me I was running too slowly, so I gutted it out and did the intervals.  It was hard though, and my heart rate was about 9 bpm higher than normal.  I also had some coughing fits.  I think I may not have been over that cold that I had and perhaps my legs weren't rested from Sunday's marathon.

Interesting...  On Sunday my heart rate was around 6 bpm lower than I would have expected during the marathon, and last night about 9 bpm higher for the intervals.  Plus, the dew point was only 15 yesterday -- that is as low as I ever remember it being in Georgia.  That probably helped my throat feel so dry so that I was coughing so much.

This morning was just a slow 6 on the treadmill.

On Sunday's long run of 3wu+10MP+3cd  I'm actually supposed to wear both my 910xt and 310xt on the same arm to add data to a discussion in the Garmin forums about the accuracy of the two devices.

That reminds me of the old saying, "A person with one watch knows what time it is; a person with two is never sure."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey guys.  I worked hard today...3x10min between 10k and HMP, with 4 minute active recovery.  Paces were:

6:17, 6:15

6:14, 6:16

6:13, 6:12

Total mileage today was 12.65.

Julia...It is so hard to keep going in this cold weather.  If we could just hit what the averages are supposed to be I'd be so happy.  I'm really worried that it's going to get warm the week before my marathon and I'll have no time to acclimate.  Enjoy the new Garmin!  Good luck figuring out the afternoon run, and your schedule going forward.  So does the Cherry Blossom race give you your bib numbers based on prior race times?

Scott...No need to rush back if you don't have anything for a bit.  Rest up!

Hill...Nicely done with the 3+ this morning.  All the runs seem chilly these days!

Jack...Good work with the tempo run.  They always feel tough in training to me.  Like my run today...it felt way harder than my race and yet my pace was about 20 seconds slower...plus I had recovery intervals!  Enjoy the leisurely 10.

Swift...Nice to hear that the run felt good.  I'm sure having a few days off made a difference with your sleeping.  I'm just trying not to stay up too late watching basketball, but I can't help myself.

Marco..Glad your run felt good, and good luck tying everything together at work.  Reaching that last long run always feels good.

Jodi...Have a great time with your daughter...enjoy the camping too.

RVD...So does one wear two watches on one wrist, or one on each?  Nice job getting through the workout, despite the coughing.  HMP is a real booger of a pace in my opinion.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

RVD...So does one wear two watches on one wrist, or one on each?  Nice job getting through the workout, despite the coughing.  HMP is a real booger of a pace in my opinion.

Well, part of the discussion wanted them on the same wrist.  That may have been part of the discussion about track work.  In that case each Garmin would be going a different distance.  Anyway, just to remove another variable I'll wear them on the same wrist.  I have 6 scheduled for tomorrow with some strides and I'll probably do them on the track.  Maybe I'll wear both then too.

jackdyl11

NTS - Glad you're bouncing back from your marathon so well.

Julia - I'm in the triple digist too!  I'm 146.  I think it is a seeded runner thing.  When I got the email from the RD allowing me to register as a seeded runner, he said my 'excellent time from 2011' got me in as it was faster than the 30-34 qualifying time (56:00).  That was extremely depressing, since as a new 30-something that's the first time I haven't been in the open category!  I'm still going to go after the open time of 54:00, but not this year.

Marco - Have fun with the pizza and beer! It sounds like you need a quick vacation after all the work you've been doing.

Jojo - Have fun camping!

RVD - That's funny about being pressured by your watch.  Dry air is tough to run in!  I went through some bad coughing fits after both the one indoor mile I did and an outdoor race on a weirdly dry day last summer.  Good job fighting through it and finishing a tough workout.

SIAR - Nice consistent pacing on your workout.  I don't understand why you can feel so terrible at a pace in intervals and then feel great at it in a race.  Even accounting for being rested it stills seems weird.  This is when Noakes starts going on about the central governor.  Maybe he's right.  I'm a little afraid of it getting too hot too quickly as well.  The weather here tempted us with spring for a little bit, then went back to winter.

I was going over my heart rate data from my MP workout over the weekend and last night's tempo.  I averaged about 181 for the tempo at 5:33 pace last night, and about 177 for the MP run at about 6:00 pace on Saturday.  That's odd: 4 bmp = ~30 seconds?  I maintained a pretty consistent heart rate throughout each of the runs too.  My theories are that it was cold last night, so I didn't need to expend effort keeping myself warm, or that I was tired enough (sleep deprivation and a long day at work) that my heart couldn't go any faster last night.  I was expecting the tempo to be closer to 185, where some of my previous tempos have been. Hmm.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jack...The central governor (which should only be said with an English accent) is pretty interesting.  I can understand why the body would reduce the available muscle fibers to prevent damage, but how does the body then know to allow more fibers to be recruited in a race?  It seems like if the threshold to cause damage isn't reached in a race, we should be able to reach the same levels of performance in training that we're capable of in a race.  I'm guessing there's more to his theory than just the little bit of internet reading I've done, so this is probably explained elsewhere.  I wish I had something to offer to a discussion about your HR, but since I don't train with it, I really can't think of any explanation outside of what you suggested.  I just try to get my training in and then pray for some race day magic!

RVD...I'm sure that's a good look on you!  Having something that high up my arm would drive me nuts.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)