October:

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

thinkin about glory days

Good Morning...I'm headed out for 5 or 6 in a few minutes.  Have a great day, everyone!

PRs

Julia1971

Are RAers allowed to join in?  If so, could someone explain the "rules" and some of the acronyms to me?

Allow me to introduce myself...  My name is Julia.  I've been pretty athletic my whole adult life (was field hockey player of the year for my county in high school and played a year Div I in college) but didn't start running seriously until 2006 or so when I joined a training program with the goal of running a sub-50 10K.  Since then, I've continually set new goals for myself.  I'd set the goal of running a sub-20 5K in the summer of 2009 but when I failed at that, decided maybe I'd see what all the marathon fuss was about.

I ran my first marathon in 2010 (National).  I started off with a training group but then switched to the Pfitz plan (there wasn't anyone in the group my pace, which is a continual problem for me when it comes to finding running partners).  I ran National again in 2011.  Marathon training was coming fairly easy for me, so I set my sights on running the marathon faster - I followed Pfitz 18/80 almost to the letter heading into Boston.  And, then...  the heat.  It was a great experience but time-wise, a bit disappointing.  I qualified for NYCM at Boston, so dusted myself off and prepared to run a huge PR at NYCM.  I didn't peak at 80 but ran a few 70 mile weeks.  And then...  it was cancelled.  More disappointment.  So, I've essentially been marathon training for over a year now but my 3:27 at National is still my PR.

Now, I'm training for Rock n' Roll USA in D.C. in March.  I do have a time goal in mind but at this point, I think I should just hope for good weather.

I'm looking forward to "meeting" you all and offering advice, encouragement, and good luck with your marathon training.

Off to run a 6 mile recovery run...

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

jojo61397

Morning Hilltopper, welcome Julia!

The weather turned out to be kinda nice this morning.  No storms until *maybe* this afternoon, but the weather guessers are guessing they'll taper off.  So I'm preparing for my second to the last 20 mile run before the taper begins.  Hoping to be done around 12:00-1:00 PM.  

Then I'm having lunch and cleaning up the house.  Kids and I are going to make Christmas cookies tonight Smile.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
          Sub- 1:45 hour half.

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

RUN DONE: 12 MLR miles. core 9 at 68% HRR (149 BPM) and a pace of 7:50.

Good morning hilltopper. Enjoy the run.

Welcome Julia. Absolutely. Nice to know the backdrop. Solid PR. Yes, 2012 has really tripped a lot of people up. A friend had 4 marathons messed up for him (including Boston, NY and CIM... can't recall the 4th). He ran CIM in spite of the conditions and did very well. Enjoy the recovery 6. 

Julia 2 - The rules?  None really... The first poster copies the race list as the first post, but that's about it.

Jojo - Good 20 to you. Hope it goes well.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Good morning,

Dunkin Donuts is my reward for doing 10 earlier before the rain started.  Actually, it was DD because I didn't have time to eat my second breakfast.

Hill--thanks for the start and good luck with the run

Mark--hello again

Jodi--have a good LR.  You should sleep well tonight.

Julia--welcome!

Mostly Harmless

Good morning runners.  I'm on down day three and about ready to jump out of my skin.  My foot feels a lot better today but I can still feel something going on in there.  I'm incredibly impatient when it comes to injuries so I'm trying real hard to keep calm but a part of me is already really pissed off at the thought of being hurt this early in a training cycle.  I had to cancel plans for a Fall marathon due to injury and if I have to cancel this one too I probably won't handle it well.  I guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it but yeah, not a happy boy right now.

hilltopper: Enjoy the short run this morning.  I don't see any races on the calendar for you until May.  Are you planning a spring marathon?

Jojo: I hope your 20 goes great today and the "weather guessers" (I like that!) are correct.  Have fun making cookies tonight with the kids!

Julia: Hello and welcome!  I think we are all RAers at this point.  Speaking for myself, I have no need to frequent RWOL now that this community has grown so large.  It seems like most of the original RA folks are enjoying the influx of new people and I think it's pretty cool that the RWOL transplants have at least attempted to be considerate of the established culture here.

Anyway, that was kind of a tangent.  Like MarkRice said, there aren't any rules that I know of aside from whoever opens the thread for the day copies the calendar from the day before.  The only other thing I can think of that you might want to know is if you start the thread then you sort of "own" the calendar for that day.  What I mean by that is since you made the first post, you are the only one that can edit your own posts so if someone asks to have a race added to the calendar it would be up to you to add it.  Or not, we can always catch up the next day if something gets missed.  Speaking of which, do you want your race added?

Lastly, based on your races it looks like you might be in my area.  I live near Frederick, MD.  It's cool to have a local in the group!

MarkRice: Good job on the 12.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Bad Ass

Morning!  3-5  recovery run tonight.

Welcome, Julia!  Everybody is welcome!

Did some of you changed your RWOL sreen name here?  I don't recognize some of you, sniff!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

jojo61397

D-- I had an account on Running Ahead from a long time ago with a different screen name than RWOL.  

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

PressingOn

Hey all!  SRD but I'm going for a swim this morning.  I feel like all I've been doing is resting since the marathon.  Plus, I got a new lap counter I can wear on my finger like a ring and I'm anxious to try it out.  Then I think I'll hit up downtown for some Christmas shopping. 

Hill - Enjoy your run!

Julia - Welcome! Another fast runner for me to live vicariously through.  Like the other's said, no rules really, just come on in and participate. We love adding new friends to the group!

Jodi - Glad the weather is working for you. Enjoy the 20 miles and cookies later. Good day to make them cause you'll have earned them.

Markrice - Great job on your run. I have never used the heart rate monitor on my Garmin. I probably should one of these days.

Marco - 2nd breakfast? Is this a Lord of the Ring's Hobbit thing? Smile

Scott - Injuries suck, no getting around it. I hope it heals quickly. Did you get your appt with the podiatrist scheduled?

Damaris - I'm the same name/avatar but I suppose I could change it up to throw you off.  Big grin  Enjoy your run today.  I read your RR.  Good job pushing through a difficult race.  Let's hope you go the nasty one out of the way and the rest will be fun/enjoyable/easy/fast.

Mostly Harmless

Pressing - I decided to hold off since it felt a little better.  I may end up regretting it but oh well. :-)

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Morning all...Today is double Wednesday for me, so I got out early to get my AM miles in.  I did 9.09 at easy pace, with 8x40sec at 3k pace.  At first I thought I paced the intervals terribly, but if you throw out the fast one and the slow one, the middle 6 were all between 5:20 and 5:30 pace.  Do you guys think it's tougher hit your paces at the faster or slower end of your ranges?  I think because I run so many easy miles, I don't know the feel of 10k and faster pace as well as I know my easy pace.  Tonight will be 5 miles with the running store.  I may run with a different group of folks just so I can ensure that the miles aren't competitive and I can run them easily.

Hill...I hate to be a pain, but can you add the Glass City Marathon, 4/28 for me?  My goal (again) is to go sub-3.  I hope you had a good run today.  It looks like you've been on the every other day plan since your marathon huh?  Yes, I'm awful and love to look at people's training logs on here.  Are you legs feeling recovered totally now?

Julia...Hi, and welcome.  As Scott said, I think we're all happy to be here on RA, and it's nice to see some of the locals, so to speak.  Your running journey sounds a bit like mine in that I played 4 years of college soccer and then took up running after that.  I really only got started in 2010 though.  You've had some seriously rough luck with your races!  I certainly hope that next year goes much better for you.  I was intending to use the Pfitz plan that you're on now for the Toledo marathon in April (previously I've trained using Jack Daniels plan), but I started using Brad Hudson to build mileage, and now I'm kinda hooked.  Also, I know where you're coming from in terms of training partners.  I kinda lucked out though as a new running store just opened in town, so I have been able to do some more group runs than I would do typically.  I even got to pace a half last weekend through the store, which was awesome.  I hope you hang around, it'd be nice to follow your training and progress.

Jodi...Weather guessers...I like that!  I hope the 20 goes well - let us know.  At least you won't have to feel guilty if you steal a couple of those cookies tonight after all the calories you'll burn.

Mark...Nice job on the run.  The bulk of my miles fall right in that 7:50 - 8:15 range.  Actually, I just looked at your HR running page (quite impressive data and info btw), and our resting HRs are about the same.  So, if I'm running my easy pace by feel, it should really match yours done by HR, if I'm doing it correctly.  That makes sense, right?

Marco...Donuts or one of the sandwiches?  Nice job beating the rain...that's been my strategy the last couple days too.

Scott...I like the new pic...reminds me of warmer days and sunshine!  Sorry about your frustration.  You're really at the point where you haven't lost anything yet though, so try to stay positive.  Did you get yourself an appointment for more testing? (edit:  just say your response above mine)

Docket...I've got a new diagnosis for you.  It's actually not asthma.  You just have the sniffles!  You crack me up every time you write that.  Are you feeling beat up from your marathon experience?  It sounded brutal.  I hope the recovery miles are good.

Pressing...Have a good swim.  You got a lap counter?  Aww, jealous!  That's another of my Christmas gifts, hopefully.  Anything longer than a 200m set and I pretty much lose count, so it's definitely need.  The one I was looking at seemed to attach to the tip of your finger so you just tapped the wall with it...I wonder if it's the same as what you got?  Any fun gifts the kids are hoping for this year?  That's funny you mentioned Marco's second breakfast.  I do second dinner, because I don't get enough calories during the day.  I usually have dinner around 5:30, and supper around 8:30 haha.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

thinkin about glory days

Julia, welcome!  Wow, you're fast - I can see why you have trouble finding a running partner who can keep up with you.  Do you want me to add your race to the list? 

Jodi, it's good you were able to get your LR in today.  I know you were worried about moving it, although I think that would have been fine too.  Hope it went well.

markrice, nice job on the MLR.  What does "core 9" mean?  I guess it has something to do with HR monitors - I've never used one.

marco, I've heard everyone runs on Dunkin'.  Sorry...couldn't resist.  I have to ask: Donut or breakfast sandwich?  I like the new smoked sausage sandwich.

Scott, that's too bad about your foot.  I hope it's not a stress fracture and you can get back to your training plan soon.  Did you end up making that doctor appt?  I've heard you need a bone scan to rule out a stress fx, so getting in the doctor's appointment book is not a bad idea.

DR, Jodi is now jojo.  Otherwise, everyone else is still the same, I think (except SIAR has decided he is a runner).  I thought about changing mine to "gangbusters" in light of my love for positive splits, but thought better of it. 

PO, have fun with your new lap counter!

SIAR, I've been meaning to ask about your intervals.  Is that a Brad Hudson thing?  Seems kind of like strides, but longer and not quite as fast.  Are you using your Garmin to measure your pace?  Have fun with the second run.

According to UPS, my new ASICS Blur33s are waiting for me at the front door.  Would it be wrong to knock off early?

PRs

thinkin about glory days

I added your race.  Sorry if I missed this before.  

Yes, I've been every other day until now.  My legs have felt recovered for awhile now, so I'll probably start hitting some hillier routes (and wean myself off the treadmill).

Hill...I hate to be a pain, but can you add the Glass City Marathon, 4/28 for me?  My goal (again) is to go sub-3.  I hope you had a good run today.  It looks like you've been on the every other day plan since your marathon huh?  Yes, I'm awful and love to look at people's training logs on here.  Are you legs feeling recovered totally now?

PRs

jojo61397

Done with the 20 miler.  Did 20.33 miles, and finished in 3:22 hours Smile.  Really happy, now going to clean up the house and start getting ready for Christmas Cookie night Smile.

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds