Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 12/5 (Read 174 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hill...I thought you had mentioned a few days back that you were feeling good, so that's good news for sure.  I doubt it will take you long to get used to the good 'ol outdoors again. Oh, and your comment about me deciding I was a runner made me laugh.  Truth be told, you can't use a "?" in your name here, or else I would have stuck with it.  It's not that I don't feel like a runner now, but I'm still surprised it's what I'm doing.

Quick answer to your question:   yes, Hudson thing, and pretty similar to strides except that the pace is supposed to be between 3k and 10k pace.  Long answer:  Essentially they're Hudson's version of a fartlek run.  Since they're interspersed within the easy miles, I just do one every time I come up on a mile.  And yes, the paces are from my Garmin.  The watch and the review of the data that it gives me is a big part of my training.  The fartleks are just once a week during the 6 weeks of Hudson's introductory period.  The other key building tool during this period is hill sprints.  After that, those efforts turn into longer, specific endurance intervals.  The way I did my training, I'm going to end up spending about 10 weeks doing introductory period runs.  I'm on week 4 of Hudson's lesser plan (peaks at 70 miles) so that I could get my mileage up to where it needs to be for the plan I'll use (peaks at 86, and overall more aggressive).  Since it's a 20 week plan, I'll start week one of the deeper program on Monday.

Jodi...Great job on the 20 miler!  Glad you are happy with it and feeling good.  Enjoy those cookies.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

thinkin about glory days

Oh, and your comment about me deciding I was a runner made me laugh.  Truth be told, you can't use a "?" in your name here, or else I would have stuck with it.  It's not that I don't feel like a runner now, but I'm still surprised it's what I'm doing.

Haha.  I saw your explanation for the missing "?" on our first day over here...that's why I said that.  Thanks for the explanation of the Hudson plan.  I don't think I'm going to be able to wait for Christmas for the book!

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

Bad Ass

Morning all...Today is double Wednesday for me, so I got out early to get my AM miles in.  I did 9.09 at easy pace, with 8x40sec at 3k pace.  At first I thought I paced the intervals terribly, but if you throw out the fast one and the slow one, the middle 6 were all between 5:20 and 5:30 pace.  Do you guys think it's tougher hit your paces at the faster or slower end of your ranges?  I think because I run so many easy miles, I don't know the feel of 10k and faster pace as well as I know my easy pace.  Tonight will be 5 miles with the running store.  I may run with a different group of folks just so I can ensure that the miles aren't competitive and I can run them easily.

Hill...I hate to be a pain, but can you add the Glass City Marathon, 4/28 for me?  My goal (again) is to go sub-3.  I hope you had a good run today.  It looks like you've been on the every other day plan since your marathon huh?  Yes, I'm awful and love to look at people's training logs on here.  Are you legs feeling recovered totally now?

Julia...Hi, and welcome.  As Scott said, I think we're all happy to be here on RA, and it's nice to see some of the locals, so to speak.  Your running journey sounds a bit like mine in that I played 4 years of college soccer and then took up running after that.  I really only got started in 2010 though.  You've had some seriously rough luck with your races!  I certainly hope that next year goes much better for you.  I was intending to use the Pfitz plan that you're on now for the Toledo marathon in April (previously I've trained using Jack Daniels plan), but I started using Brad Hudson to build mileage, and now I'm kinda hooked.  Also, I know where you're coming from in terms of training partners.  I kinda lucked out though as a new running store just opened in town, so I have been able to do some more group runs than I would do typically.  I even got to pace a half last weekend through the store, which was awesome.  I hope you hang around, it'd be nice to follow your training and progress.

Jodi...Weather guessers...I like that!  I hope the 20 goes well - let us know.  At least you won't have to feel guilty if you steal a couple of those cookies tonight after all the calories you'll burn.

Mark...Nice job on the run.  The bulk of my miles fall right in that 7:50 - 8:15 range.  Actually, I just looked at your HR running page (quite impressive data and info btw), and our resting HRs are about the same.  So, if I'm running my easy pace by feel, it should really match yours done by HR, if I'm doing it correctly.  That makes sense, right?

Marco...Donuts or one of the sandwiches?  Nice job beating the rain...that's been my strategy the last couple days too.

Scott...I like the new pic...reminds me of warmer days and sunshine!  Sorry about your frustration.  You're really at the point where you haven't lost anything yet though, so try to stay positive.  Did you get yourself an appointment for more testing? (edit:  just say your response above mine)

Docket...I've got a new diagnosis for you.  It's actually not asthma.  You just have the sniffles!  You crack me up every time you write that.  Are you feeling beat up from your marathon experience?  It sounded brutal.  I hope the recovery miles are good.

Pressing...Have a good swim.  You got a lap counter?  Aww, jealous!  That's another of my Christmas gifts, hopefully.  Anything longer than a 200m set and I pretty much lose count, so it's definitely need.  The one I was looking at seemed to attach to the tip of your finger so you just tapped the wall with it...I wonder if it's the same as what you got?  Any fun gifts the kids are hoping for this year?  That's funny you mentioned Marco's second breakfast.  I do second dinner, because I don't get enough calories during the day.  I usually have dinner around 5:30, and supper around 8:30 haha.

SNIFF!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Bad Ass

Good to know.  The ones I didn't recognize must be newer members!  You go on vacation 3 days and this is what happens.  I am lost now!

Just for good measure...sniff.

Julia, welcome!  Wow, you're fast - I can see why you have trouble finding a running partner who can keep up with you.  Do you want me to add your race to the list? 

Jodi, it's good you were able to get your LR in today.  I know you were worried about moving it, although I think that would have been fine too.  Hope it went well.

markrice, nice job on the MLR.  What does "core 9" mean?  I guess it has something to do with HR monitors - I've never used one.

marco, I've heard everyone runs on Dunkin'.  Sorry...couldn't resist.  I have to ask: Donut or breakfast sandwich?  I like the new smoked sausage sandwich.

Scott, that's too bad about your foot.  I hope it's not a stress fracture and you can get back to your training plan soon.  Did you end up making that doctor appt?  I've heard you need a bone scan to rule out a stress fx, so getting in the doctor's appointment book is not a bad idea.

DR, Jodi is now jojo.  Otherwise, everyone else is still the same, I think (except SIAR has decided he is a runner).  I thought about changing mine to "gangbusters" in light of my love for positive splits, but thought better of it. 

PO, have fun with your new lap counter!

SIAR, I've been meaning to ask about your intervals.  Is that a Brad Hudson thing?  Seems kind of like strides, but longer and not quite as fast.  Are you using your Garmin to measure your pace?  Have fun with the second run.

According to UPS, my new ASICS Blur33s are waiting for me at the front door.  Would it be wrong to knock off early?

Blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Docket...You just want a hug, don't you?

Hill...Sorry, spoiling Hudson for you!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Daily Routine

one cup of coffee and two pieces of toast (or substitute bagel for toast)

wait for something

after something occurs, go run

time permitting...bowl of oatmeal or dry cereal ...(missed this today.  Never a bfast sandwich from DD.  Always a muffin and/or doughnut.)

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Marco - Hi :-) Loved the routine. :-)

ImNotScott - I can certainly relate. Sorry for that issue. Some friends have done pool running or cycling. Not sure if that's an option.. can't recall the nature of your injury, etc.

Docket_Rocket - Mine is the same, but I was on the Boston Boards dailies on RWOL. Like Jojo, I had an account on RA but had forgotten about it... regained control of it, but don't know how to find out how long it's been active.

PressingOn - Each has different goals so I must hold my HR support in check sometimes. :-) DO IT! DO IT... Oh... sorry. :-)

SoImaRunner - 5:20 is a smokin' pace. Good job. Not sure I hit that even in my 100m intervals (0.07 miles is how I do it). Given that you're using a watch (and not GPS??) your runs might be faster. My 7:50 pace was for the core 9'ish miles... my entire 12 was likely an 8:10 pace or so. I warm up, then cool down, but I usually separate those so I can see what my "performance" part was.  

SoImaRunner 2 - Well, yes, it makes sense. But to really know if you "should" be doing this by using HR, I'd need to know your MaxHR.  HOWEVER, you got the end goal (a great marathon PR). But to continue the conversation... My max HR is 198 or so... what is yours?  I use % of Heart Rate Reseverve (MaxHR minus RestingHR) and use Pfitz ranges for that.  HAVING SAID ALL THAT: The real key to me is using the hardest extended run to guage where I should be (in the end, it's by feel)... so I use Tempo runs over time to see whether it seems I can maintain that pace without ruining future runs (by too long of a recovery). THAT is how I home in on my paces. This may not be of interest, but if anyone reads this far and wants to know more I could steer you to my HR page.

Hilltopper - I just use that to mean the performance part fo the run... cut the warm up, cut the cool down... the middle performance part is my core run. I do this to track how well I do and I do NOT want to pressure myself to go fast during my warm-up or cool-down.

JoJo - Great job on the 20!... still energy for making cookies! 

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

5 more miles done for me tonight at the running store. The Mizuno rep was also there to demo shoes and some gloves and the like.  Unfortunately, she didn't have any of their racier models, so I didn't try any on.  The run was good, but I got suckered into running faster than I would have liked, as usual.  I guess there's a group run with the triathlon training club tomorrow morning at 7, so I guess I'll head out and do that for some easy miles (thinking around 12 mi total).

Mark...The one thing I've liked about Hudson is that I feel like I can't do any damage running too hard at this point because the key efforts aren't very long.  You're right though, running tempos to the right pace such that they don't impact the rest of the week is hugely important (and something I'm still figuring out).  I wouldn't know my max HR if it bit me, but maybe I'll strap my monitor on the next time I have some hard paces and see what happens.  I have an old polar watch that does the HR, and then a Garmin 110, so I guess I'll double strap it Smile

PressingOn

Whew.  Long day.  I'm exhausted and it wasn't the swimming that did me in.  I got 1700 yards in, by the way.  I'm tired because of all the shopping I did after.  That wears me out far more than a marathon.  I am not a shopper.  Well, we won't count online shopping at places that sell running gear.  That's not shopping.  That is supporting my habit. 

Scott - I'd hold off too if it felt better, but my insurance sucks, so that would motivate me not to check it out.  In fact, it has in the past.  I suspected a stress fracture in my shin once but dh had just started up his own company and we weren't at a place we could afford the tests out of pocket (which they would have been) so I did the hard thing and treated it as a sfx and took most of the summer off of running.  It was not fun.  

SIAR - Your paces amaze me. I have to be on a bike to hit those paces. The counter I got is one you wear like a ring and you press the button with your thumb every time you finish a lap. It worked like a charm. Very easy to press the button. It wasn't too expensive on Amazon. Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016J9NE8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00     

I don't think that link posted right.  Oh well.  You can copy and paste it.

Hill - Oooh, new running gear has arrived. Big grin

Jodi - Good job on the 20!  Eat some cookies now!

Markrice - Lol. Maybe one day I'll do it.  Do you get chafing from the band?  

Damaris - How are the allergies today?  

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone! Busy day, finally getting time to post.

Julia: welcome! I played field hockey for 2 years in high school (until my school axed the program to switch to soccer) but I was crappy at it and mostly played benchwarmer. 

markrice: nice job with your 12! I ran 12 at a pretty similar HR (67% HRR) today, but a much slower pace! Big grin

hill: glad your shoes arrived!

jojo: great job with your 20+! 

Scott: hope your foot continues to feel better!

Docket: hope you had a nice recovery run.

Pressing: hope you had a nice swim.

marco: I also usually eat a small breakfast before the run and another breakfast after.

SIAR: I did a Hudson plan last time, and I think I found it hard to hit correct paces on those because the faster parts are so short. Great job with your double, looks like you're really getting some miles in.

I got 12 in earlier at an easy pace, then tonight I went to the orientation to start running with Back on My Feet. Really a great organization, exciting to be a part of it. So I'll start running with them at least one morning a week. Will not be a lot of miles, but should be fun.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

Pressing: x-posted again, great job with the swim. Shopping wears me out, too!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Bad Ass

Docket...You just want a hug, don't you?

Hill...Sorry, spoiling Hudson for you!

Shocked

Blog

Bad Ass

markrice, I'm sure I know all of you.  Felt a little lost after my small vacation and horrible marathon.

I ran today.  It was great.  A bit sore and tight but nothing major.  And I was able to breathe.  Without albuterol again.  So, day 3.  Sigh (I won't even do sniff, thanks to SIAR), 5 weeks without, one day to break the streak.

Blog

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

SoImaRunner - I've heard great things about Hudson, but have never tried it. I found that with lower mileage levels that I did in prior years, I just didn't have the endurance, so Pfitz seemed to fit well. I'm not worried about injury (both I'm very careful and I tend to recover well for a geezer) but believe I've hurt proximate runs by going too hard with a run. No big deal re the MaxHR... one can do well without it... If you're curious to just monitor sometime... consider monitoring LT runs at a pace that you've somewhat settled on... that COULD be the basis of setting ranges for you (not sure how inline that is with Hudson... not even sure whether it has ranges).  Good luck with the experimenting.

PressingOn - Yes, in the past and just recently... it's the older Garmin style bands that caused it for me... once you change the battery, there will likely be slight damage to the "plastic" that causes chaffing (or gouging in my opinion :-)). I cured it with packing tape placed over the back (wrapping around somewhat to the front). Now there's very little chaffing, but my wimpy skin still gets a little red.  Also, you can tighten it a little in some cases to reduce that.  This may not help, but I have a section on the heart rate belt.  May have to add chaffing to that. :-)  http://markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html#hrbeltissues

NotTooSwift - Great job! 67% should be very similar in effort level... that's the key to me. Speed is so influenced by past and genetics, but you're putting in the effort.  Great job!  My 200 lb friend at a 4:30 marathon is more impressive that I am in my opinion.

Docket_Rocket - I can understand that feeling. We'll learn each other quickly enough.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Julia1971

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  Recovery run went well. 

Newbie question...  What does "SRD" mean?

Scott, I'm in NOVA, so yes, same area. I think only locals and 50-staters run Nationa/RnR USA. 

SIAR, I'd pretty much given up on running groups.  I decided to try one more time and am running off-and-on with one now.  There still really aren't people who are my pace but I like them so I think I'm going to hang around for a while.

Hilltopper, if you could add me that would be great.  If you're not checking tonight, I'll see if I can be added tomorrow.

Run the mile you are in.