Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 12/8 (Read 172 times)

Brains aint me forte

Himy name is Scott and I have a running problem. 5 miles done at 9:00 pace. Icing the foot now.

Happiest I have felt all week. 

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

jojo61397

SIAR-- My husband is running the Goofy Challenge with me (my parents are watching the kids), and then he is doing New Orleans Rock N Roll.  I'm contemplating signing up for Atlanta.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
      Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Joe1775

Marathon was accomplished.  Pizza is acquired.  Waiting on Army Navy game.  Beat Army!!!!   

Life is good!

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Himy name is Scott and I have a running problem. 5 miles done at 9:00 pace. Icing the foot now.

Happiest I have felt all week. 

Congratulations Scott

Congratulations Joe

Jojo - Awesome re the Goofy... I've been wanting to do that for a while. One day I will.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Brains aint me forte

Congrats Joe!  Did you make your time goal?  Race report coming?

Julia1971

Scott, yeah, you have a running problem.  Smile  Did it turn while you were running or are you icing preventatively?

SIAR, I'm 41, so just entering the master's category.  I probably do about 10 races a year.  It's hard to fit races in with marathon training since I still have to fit my long run in somehow...  The running scene is pretty competitive here.  I place in my AG consistently for the smaller races but I get shut out at the bigger ones.  It really just depends on who shows up.  It makes it hard for me to figure out whether to stay for the award ceremony or not...  Are you rebounding from an injury right now?

Enjoy your pizza, Joe!

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
              Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Brains aint me forte

Julia - Just icing it as prevention.  Two hours post run and it doesn't hurt any more than it did before the run.  Do you ever run along the C&O Canal?

Finally PRed!!!

Joe: big congrats!! Enjoy the well-deserved pizza and recover well.

Scott: Glad the foot didn't feel worse after the run.

SIAR: nice pic! Is that the one you had as your RWOL avatar? My tempo yesterday was good, did 30 min of tempo using the pace adjusted for that, and felt ok. I guess I don't do doubles more partly just since a lot of books say they aren't needed until 70 mpw or so. But  what  I like about doing them is so that days like yesterday I can get a good tempo in, without a super-long warmup and cooldown to get my miles, so that my legs are more ready for the tempo part. When It try to stick a tempo into too long of a run, I'm sometimes too fatigued to hit the right pace, or the cooldown is longer than the legs want to go afterwards. But mostly I run singles for the bigger endurance effect from the longer runs. I need to try to get a lot of sleep tonight, I've had less than usual last 2 nights in a row and I'm feeling it. I like to keep a consistent amount when I'm training a lot, definitely need a little more than when I'm not training as hard, too.

Have a great race tomorrow, CC! Go get your PR!!

jojo: I drink a lot less coffee than I used to, but it is pretty hard to get my day started without it  (though on very rare occasions I have managed to do so). Hope your son is better soon.

Hi to everyone else too. Ended up with almost 7.5 today, did a slow 2+ mile warmup to meet the group, then just over 5 with them.

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

PressingOn

Hey all.  Did my last easy short run before I can pick up more normal length runs next week.  I cannot wait!  

Markrice - Owls are a cool sighting on a run. I saw an eagle last month. It flew right in front of our running group. I had one fly within 2 feet of my face last year. So cool to see them up close.  Well, that one last year was maybe a little too close.  It freaked me out a bit.

Swift - Hope you have a good run.

Julia - That's some fast running. I just turned 40 and there are a lot of fast runner's like you in this AG. I am not one of them. Smile I totally get the no nice clothes issue. I too seem to always purchase running clothes instead.

Scott - Um, running 5 miles is not how you let a foot rest. I think you got impatient. Lol! I think we all totally understand where you're coming from though.

Damaris - Have a good 6.

CC - Sometimes it's hard to know your goal until the race starts. Either way, you'll have a great race!

Jodi - Sorry about the illness and on your dd's birthday, too. That sucks all around. Good job on the weight loss though!

SIAR - Ah, thanks for the photo. Now I know what Beth was talking about and I agree with her! Smile You look so serious in it though! Lol! I'm jealous of your sleep. I was so excited to sleep in today and then dh woke up and said, "It's snowing". 30 seconds later my ds walked in the room and saw the snow. There was no going back to sleep for me. It didn't snow a lot but enough to look pretty for a couple hours.

Joe - Congrats! Enjoy the pizza and game.  More details soon?

PressingOn

Swift - cross-posted.  Glad you had a good run.  I too need my coffee to kick start my day.  I seem to get headaches if I skip it.  I don't drink a lot, just my little Keurig 8oz cup.  Unless I am near Starbucks or a latte stand.  Then it's 16oz of something sweet and delicious.

Brains aint me forte

NTS: It sounds like the 7 miler was fun.  I'm glad you had a good one.  I can't remember what part of the country you are in.  What is the weather like today?

Pressing: Congrats on being disciplined and sticking to the short runs.  I hear that being disciplined about things pays off, but I doubt I'll ever find out for myself.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

CC...Well it's nice to have people wishing you well.  You still have to run your race though (unless they can hop in and knock out a couple of the miles for you ha).  Enjoy the race.

Mark...Good work on the recovery miles.  I've just added recovery pace to my running arsenal, and having been loving it.  Easy pace used to be my slowest, but recovery seems to have it's place too.

Scott...You can picture me wagging my internet finger at you in disapproval!  I know how hard it is to stay out of the game though.  At least you iced afterwards, so points for that.  I'm glad you don't hurt any more than before.

Jodi...That'll be a great racing weekend for you and the dh with your parents watching the kids.  I don't know much about Atlanta's marathon.

Joe...Congrats on the marathon.  I'm watching some of the game before church too...such a great tradition!  Navy's helmets may be as good looking a helmet as I've ever seen.

Julia...Ah, I was confused.  Here I thought I wasn't going to be the baby of the group anymore!  I'm always surprised by how many races some people can fit in.  I guess PRs are a better indicator of race performance than AG awards anyway, but placing is always fun.   I usually will stay for the awards, but when I've left the races have always been nice enough to mail me whatever I've won.  As for my injuries...I ruptured my left plantar fascia in my 5k pr in '11.  Then, in March of this year, I did the same thing to my right one while racing a tuneup half marathon.  Instead of spending 2 months in a walking book like for the first one, I just ran easy miles so that I could still run my May marathon.  After that I rested, then did a Sept. sprint tri, and am just now getting my miles back to where I'm happy.

Swift...Yes, I did have that on RWOL for a while.  I hear what you're saying about the doubles, both when they're necessary and what they allow one to do.  Good luck getting some extra sleep, and nice job with your run.  5 miles seems like a lot for new runners.  Does the group have some people with some natural talent?

Pressing...Yes, very serious.  It was packet pickup day for the marathon, and I was waiting for the course tour and running the race in my head.  Thanks for agreeing with Beth.  At least it's not that uber-vibrant red hair.  That's funny that you're afraid of getting carried away by a big bird lol, although I can't say I've not had the same thought.  We haven't had any snow here yet this year.  I'm convinced it's because I bought a snow blower last year.  I still haven't used it.  We'll look forward to hearing about your more fun runs now that you can get back to them.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Pressing: glad you can return to more normal-length runs soon.

Scott: I'm in Atlanta now,  moved back from Maine last month. Weather this morning  was 50s and cloudy, it is mid-high 60s now.

SIAR: the group I was at this morning wasn't the BoMF group,  it  was another group that meets to run on Saturday am and then has brunch after. The BoMF group does have some longer runs on Saturdays for the people who have been in it for a while and are training for races. And I guess they do get some people with natural talent. Both groups have different distance options so that people can pick how far they want to run on a given day.

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

Great to see cc back....go for it!  You can do Boston in 2014.

Don't know if I mentioned it, but I did not get the London job.  However, there is still one left.  It looks like I will do Boston the next two years.

Ice turned me back inside this morning, but I did 6 this afternoon in a downpour with 39 degrees.  Glad I have good raingear.

Now going to a friend's house to eat and drink too much this evening.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Bad Ass

Ended up with a URD.  Migraine and nausea, bah.

Joe, hoping to hear details!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."