September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Julia1971

Good morning!

7 mile recovery run and form drills ahead for me.  I meant to research drills - I've mostly been making things up as I go along - before I had this in my schedule again but forgot.  I'll come up with something interesting for people to gawk at...

My log is now public.  I wanted to clean up the course names.  I'm okay with stalkers figuring what where I live generally, but I don't want them coming to my door.  (A couple years ago, after talking to a fellow AG award winner while killing time after a race, the guy guessed we were BFFs and showed up at my job since I had told him where I worked.  So, I'm a bit more cautious now).  I should also show up in the reports now.

I got a text from my brother late last night.  My niece made it though surgery and is now recovering.  I think she's supposed to be in the hospital for a week.  Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Mostly Harmless

Good morning!  I have 6 recovery miles on the schedule today but I'll probably cut that back to 4.

Julia - Great news about your niece.  I hope her recovery goes well.

Answering your question from yesterday, DD is 5' 11.5". She only hits 6' when she has her bball shoes on. She's got a great wingspan.

NTS - I hope the shin splint like symptom has passed by today.

Pressing - That race sounds really interesting. Why such a small field?

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Ok, got my 2wu+5(1k@5kw400r)+2cd in this morning.  Great weather, 50F. I did manage to screw up the workout that I sent to my Garmin though, so the log entry is all screwed up.  I combined the two workouts into one entry, but didn't update the laps, just the total time and distance.  I hate it when I do that.  I'm cruising along doing my interval and then the Garmin vibrates.  I think I must be going too slowly, but no, the lap is messed up.  It seems that the repeats had the rest interval before the speed interval, so I had screwed it up before I sent it to my Garmin.

I'm tempted to try my long intervals tomorrow (2wu+3(2@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd) instead of taking the scheduled rest day, just to get myself back in sync.  I'll have to keep my eye on the weather since it is supposed to start raining today.  Don't know how long it is to continue.  The temperature is supposed to be ideal though.

Well, let me go stalk Julia's log now.  Big grin

Forgot to mention (since Julia is relatively local) I do my long runs (15 or more) on the Silver Comet.  For shorter runs (8 - 12) I use the Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway.  For early morning interval work I use the Peachtree Ridge HS track.  Some other runs, (6 - 8 miles) I may do at Rock Springs Park.  Both the Peachtree Ridge HS track and Rock Springs Park have lighting, so are useful for winter darkness.

Good morning,

Up to 12 degrees this morning and I did a slow 8.5.  I am so tired of trying to watch my footing.  Put on the Brooks' Ghosts for the first time.  I got them only to get through the snow and ice the next few months.  Saving the Minimus and Fusions for the upcoming marathons.

Julia--good news about your niece

Scott--any scholarhsip possibilities for DD

RVD--good workout!....way too technical for me, says the man without a plan

Bad Ass

Morning!  4-5 recovery miles later.

Julia, I will be thinking of her today.

Everybody, have a nice day (need to prepare for Court).

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Mostly Harmless

Marco - Good job on getting the miles done in bad conditions. I almost feel guilty that our weather is so nice right now.  We are supposed to hit 58 today and in the low 60's by the weekend.

Scott--any scholarhsip possibilities for DD

She wants to play basketball in college.  Some D2 schools have expressed interest but she wants a more rounded college experience so she is looking at a few D3 schools instead. D3 can't offer athletic scholarships but they can offer "needs based" money.  I'm told that the word "need" can sometimes be defined as "they need you to play for their basketball team".

Just B.S.

As Marco said 12F here today! Feels like spring. I'm celebrating with 13 miles today!

Scott, sounds like you have some great kids and great athletes there!!

Julia, I just read about your niece. So glad to hear she is thru the surgery and doing well.

I was a little peeved at myself yesterday. I just got back in the pool on Sunday after months and went

again Monday and it felt so good I was really pushing the pace. Apparently I pushed myself too hard

(big surprise) and the 1,500 I did resulted in a pinched nerve at the top of my shoulder joint, incredibly

painful so I couldn't get my run in yesterday. I could barely put my clothes on without help. I was supposed

to swim today and will wait until tomorrow and be more cautious (or at least try).

Have a good one dailies!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good afternoon muchachos y muchachas.  Today was a progression run for me.  It was to be 12 miles, with the first 7 easy and then 5 at a moderate pace.  It didn't really turn out that way though.  I did 7 easy, then a 7:03, 6:55, and 6:53.  Unfortunately, doing those 3 miles all uphill took too much out of me, so I did 1.75 easy miles before doing a 6:58 and then just finishing with an easy .75.  So, 13.51 miles total with the last 6 miles having 570 feet of gain.

I'm a little disappointed with the pace as it felt fast and wasn't even MP.  I'm hoping the fact that I'm still coughing from being sick played into my troubles.  Also, I guess this is some of the difference between Hudson and Daniels, since Daniels starts with speed work while Hudson waits to build that in.

5 miles or so on tap tonight with the running group.  Even though I only missed one session while I was sick, it feels like it's been forever since I ran with them.

Julia...Great work on the 15 yesterday.  That's awesome that your legs weren't too heavy from your race.  I do kinda like the hill sprints.  I think they'd be a blast to do with others, but even on their own they're fun.  Now the 2-3 minute hill repeats at around 5k pace...those puppies are a whole different ballgame and not so high on my list.  Oh, that's really great news about your niece.  I can just imagine how relieved you all must be.  As for your semi-stalker, wow!  At least you have to figure you still looked pretty good after running a hard race for him to come all the way to your office haha.  I don't think my log has any route information either, but I think having it public can be useful if you're trying to figure something out and maybe we can see a trend that you're missing (or that you all can help me see a trend that I'm missing).  Kudos to you for doing drills.  I think I'd either need a coach or a partner to be motivated to do them.

Scott...Great job being smart with the mileage.  You mentioned yesterday that you were feeling like the plan may be too much.  Are you doing Pfitz 18/55, or am I totally misremembering?  By the way, is that word (misremembered) not the greatest part of the whole Balco and steroid hearings?  Jay Bilas would love your daughter's wingspan...that's all that guy talks about when looking at NBA prospects.  Oh, just saw your second post.  I would HIGHLY recommend any of the UAA schools to your daughter as it's an amazing D3 experience with almost every conference game being a flight and most teams ranked in the top #25 from year to year.  And you're so right about the money - no way did I deserve academic money to the Univ. of Chicago.

RVD...Glad to see the pizza didn't keep you down for too long.  I wish I could send workouts to my Garmin, but it's not a sophisticated enough version.  I could see myself screwing them up a lot anyway.  Sounds like you have a great variety of spots to choose from to do your runs!

Marco - Big Boss...Oh yay, a heat wave!  Good job on the miles.  What version of the Ghosts did you get?  Once my 3's got like 300 miles on them, I actually started to like them a little.  The 5's look pretty nimble and I think I might actually enjoy them from the start.

Docket...I guess the judges appreciate when you prepare for court huh?  Hope the recovery miles feel good.

Beth...You guys have great attitudes about that weather...pretty amazing really.  Sorry about the nerve.  I guess swimming is no different than running...just because you can go fast, doesn't mean you have to.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

SIAR--mine are actually 4's as I went the cheap route because I didn't want to spend too much on shoes to abuse in the winter.  My Asics Cumulus had a bit over 1000 miles when they were retired yesterday

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...wow, now that we can see your log we know what a little running machine you are! I do say little since we can see your weight too ha. Seriously though, your consistency is awesome. Have you been running that kind of mileage long? You're quite the streaker too - color me impressed.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Mostly Harmless

Decided to take a rd. trading for tomorrow. Legs are sore from running 14 too fast yesterday. 

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

Julia: hope you had a nice 7. Glad your niece is recovering, hope things continue to go well. That's crazy about the guy showing up at your work.

Scott: hope your recovery run went well.

RV: great job with your intervals.

marco: sorry about the snow. Nice job with your 8.5.

Docket: enjoy your recovery miles.

B.S.: hope you had a nice 13. Hope the nerve feels better.

SIAR: nice job with the run. When I did a Hudson-based plan, I found some of the runs pretty tough. I tended to agree with his philosophy of doing some faster running in several runs, but in practice, I just found it tough sometimes. Though I think you're younger (and of course faster) than I am. The week I had pace troubles recently is also the week after I just got over being sick, too, so that could definitely play a role. Enjoy your group run.

I ran about 12.5 today at a pretty easy pace, had to rein myself in a bit--the legs seemed to want to go a bit faster, but I had to remind them we have a tempo tomorrow. It was about 65F out.

Think I'll try to go to bed early tonight, tried to last night because of an early meeting today, but for some reason took a while to fall asleep.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

Scott: x-posted, good idea to listen to your body and switch days.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

5 miles with the group tonight and I had a blast.  I hung back and run with some other people which really made it fun.  It's so nice to have someone thank you after a run for helping them through it.  I also tested out a bunch of shoes, only to find nothing that really fit my foot.

Saucony Triumph - No.  New GelDS Trainer - No.  Adidas Adios - No.  Mizuno Wave Evo - No.

I did like the Mizuno Ronins, but I'm going to hold off until a new Saucony Virrata comes out later this month and until the store gets some of the Inov8 line in for me to try.

Marco...Yep, you were due for those new shoes!  I definitely understand trying to keep shoe costs down and to this point have only been getting older models myself.

Scott...Hope the rest felt good for you.  Did you check out the UAA?

Swift...I'm hoping it was mostly the sickness troubles, like you experienced to.  There's no doubt that trying to go faster uphill is tough though.  Good job on your 12.5 today.  That was really smart to hold it back a little.  I also got a little fast at the end of a couple easy runs, so that may have slowed me today too.