ImNotScott- 5/3 - White Oak Classic 5K.

ImNotScott- 5/5 - Frederick Running Festival HM

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

PressingOn - 5/5 - Tacoma City Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11 - Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 5/11 - Mermaid Run East Bay Sirena18 (18 miles)

Marco59 - 5/12 - Fredericton Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19 - Run for the Red Marathon

Runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

hilltopper91 - 6/21 - Media 5 Mile Race

BruceD555 - 06/22 - Grandma's Marathon

marco59 - 6/23 - Bay of Fundy Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

AthenaofAmerica - 7/6 Dirty Half Dozen 6-Hour Endurance Run

August:

Patti678 - 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

Runmomto3boys - 10/6 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

BruceD555 - 10/06 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 10/19 - Folsom Blues Breakout Half Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

ImNotScott - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Julia1971

I'm up but barely awake.  I have an interval workout on the schedule.  I think it'll be close to 10 miles.

I've been going back and forth with someone in the sub-3:30 forum about bringing our times down for Boston.  I think Shalane and Joanie created a monster on Sunday.  Wink

And, I'm headed back to work today.  Yay!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Good morning,

Julia--hope work is easy for you.

I occasionally lurk on a couple of the sub-time threads.  It would probably be beneficial and I might learn something.

Work in a little bit and LR this evening while DW goes to Zumba for the first time.  I wonder if she knows what she is getting herself into.  It is a beginner's class, however.

Finally PRed!!!

Morning!

Julia: Hope the intervals go well!

marco: Hope the LR goes well later and DW enjoys Zumba.

I have 6 with hill sprints later, plus upper-body weights.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Did my 2wu+2(2m@HMPw1mr)+2cd = 10 miles on the way to work this morning.  Temp was great - high 50s.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning!

Julia...Hope you've woken up a little.  If not, I'm sure the intervals will do the trick.  So what theories have you devised about bringing your Boston time down?  Was that genuine excitement about work? lol

Marco...I'm like you, I lurk a little on some of those threads too.  Thanks for the comments yesterday.  I think you'll get a good race next time out.  Hope your wife enjoys dancing and you have a good run.

Swift...Sounds like a great strength day for you.  Enjoy.

RVD...Nicely done on the workout.  A mile seems like a long recovery, but I bet it goes by pretty quickly when you've just done the two at HMP.

As for me, I think I may take one more day off from running.  I could go run three if I felt like it, but since I'm going to take this week pretty easy, there's really no need.  My quads are about the only thing that has soreness left, so that's a good thing.  Also, I forgot to share my good new from the Bod Pod test - my body fat was 6.9%!  I was thrilled since I don't feel like I look that fit.

Sorta of the QOTD variety, I'd love some input on where you all think I should go from here.  I really am not sure yet what to do.  I'd like to run another marathon at the end of the year, but I don't want to run it unless I can PR again.  Right now, that feels like a herculean task.  I also don't know if just running another training cycle like the one I just did would lead to much improvement.  Could I ultimately benefit my marathon by taking the rest of the year to concentrate solely on speed?  To do that, I think I'd have to drop my peak mileage to around 60, just knowing that speed work is harder on me.  Does that sound like something that could still make me a faster marathoner, or would the lack of miles hurt more?

I guess there's also the triathlon thing, and I would like to do at least another sprint this year.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: I think that would be a great question to post  on the main forum, where you could get input from more people in your pace range. When did you start running? I forget...Your 5 mile PR seems to indicate you could get a faster marathon time with more endurance, and I think endurance does build cumulatively over longer periods of time than one cycle, so I think you probably could improve with a similar cycle to what you just did. Or you could tweak the plan just a bit using some of the tips in the Hudson book for working on specific areas. Or work on speed during the summer and then go back to marathoning later in the year, that's what I'm doing. Anyway, like I mentioned, this would be a great question for the main forum. Smile

RVD...Nicely done on the workout.  A mile seems like a long recovery, but I bet it goes by pretty quickly when you've just done the two at HMP.

Well, I'm in Hansons' taper period now, so I guess I'm getting a bit of a break with the long recovery segment.  Thursday will be 2wu+8@MP+2cd = 12 miles.  Slowly winding down....

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

RVD...taper is good!  Don't get me wrong, extra rest is always welcomed in my book.

Swift...I was thinking I'd post that on the main forum too, after I figured out how to articulate it a little better anyway.  I hate to ask a question where the answer is really just do whatever you feel like, but it kinda seems like that will be the answer.  I just wonder what a coach would have me do, if that makes sense.  I just plugged that 5 mile time into a calculator and got 2:55:48 - under a minute off is by far the closest my marathon has ever been to an indicator, so that's why I wondered if maybe it's more of a speed thing than an endurance one.  I like the idea of working on speed for the summer and then going back for the marathon at the end of the year, but then I feel like I might be rushed with the marathon training.  How long of a marathon plan will you do?

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Which calculator did you plug it into? McMillan gives a 2:52:40 from your 5K time, and of course most people don't run their McMillan equivalent, but with the kind of mileage you were doing you could probably get close to it. I will probably "officially" start marathon training a week or so after the Peachtree, so my cycle will be shorter, I guess about 14 weeks. But I should be starting from a good fitness level. Hudson plans in the book are long, but they also start assuming a low level of fitness. I guess it depends on what marathons you'd be looking at for later in the year and when they are.

Bad Ass

Morning!  Holy crap!  You guys have been chatty!  I ended up doing 9.66 miles today yesterday, including a run/walk with DH.  5 recovery miles and weights tonight.

Julia, hope your intervals went well.

marco, LOL at the Zumba.  Enjoy your run.

swift, enjoy your hill sprints.

RVD, nice workout.

SIAR, enjoy the light week.  QOTD, from your paces and from your RR, I suspect you can shave some time off your current PR.  I would maybe concentrate on a good HM in late Spring or early Fall and then attempt another PR on the marathon at the end of the year.  You can always look for a fun marathon (scenic, trail, etc.) if you don't think you can PR but still want to do the distance.

Have a great day!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Swift...I used the one here, under resources.  For an 18:31 5k it gives a 3:05:39 marathon (which is fairly close to the 3:12 I ran last year when that was my fitness), and for the 29:23 5mi it gives 2:55:48 (and I think that's pretty close to what my fitness was at race time, or maybe a touch worse).  Also, I should run a 5k just to update that time, because I think it's pretty soft at the moment.  If I did another marathon I'd be looking at Sept. or October...maybe Columbus or Air Force.  I suppose I was complaining that 20 weeks felt too long.  Maybe I could try like a 12 week Pfitz.

Docket...Spring is over sister Smile  I start summer in May ha.  I'm not sure fun marathon is in my vocabulary.  I suppose I could try something like an ultra though.

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: Yes, it looks like you could beat both your 5K and 10K PRs. It would be great if you could race a 5K or 10K in a few weeks. I set my 10K PR 2 weeks after a PR marathon. It would be good to rest up, race a short distance, then plug that result into some calculators. Did you run the 5 miler in the middle of a lot of mileage? I can't remember, but seems like you might have...

Just B.S.

Morning all! It's taper time and during taper I just run whatever the heck distance I feel like.

Today on this beautiful sunny day I feel like an easy 7 miles,Smile

SIAR, I wish you lived here (well for lots of reasons). But primarily because we have an amazing local

marathon/tri coach and friend who gives us all the benefit of his wisdom on a regular basis. He has a

several degrees in sports/physiology related topics and has coached several of our local friends to

AG placements in Kona and many to fabulous marathon timess.

I have loosely used one of his plans  for my last full, PR of 7 minutes and have been using it this time

around also. It is customized to those who only want to run 4 days/week and I have actually gotten

faster running less. Of course he wouldn't design that kind of plan for someone like you.

Last fall he put out a request for high level local athletes who wanted to train with him to improve their

performances. Once of our local girls who is 45  just ran her 8th Boston with a PB of 3:11. Her previous

PB was  3:21 Boston 2009 but the last few years she has been in the 3:25 range.

I don't know what the heck he is doing but he is getting amazing results.

Have a good day everyone. Enjoy your runs/rest/swims/cycling etc

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Beth...I like your taper strategy.  It seems well-tailored to keeping you sane.  I'm glad you got to enjoy some nice weather for the run too.  Your local coach seems awesome.  The guy that owns our running store is a great resource, but we also have very different styles/personalities when it comes to running.  He's the guy that goes out and runs what his body feels like and just builds his week by doing mileage.  He's also very big into trail running, and hoping to place at Western States this year.  As for me, I like to know what I have well ahead of time, and will adjust if my body tells me I have to.  I also don't get into the trails that much.  I don't know, I guess the reality is that I'm still totally doing this for fun and there's no reason to really over-think it.

Swift...I guess it's pretty obvious that I don't race the shorter distances that often huh?  You're right about the 5 miler, it was during a pretty heavy phase.  I don't know if I could do a shorter distance race in two weeks or not (Julia I am not).  A month sounds doable though.