runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

Just B.S.

Morning Dailies!!

I"m hoping to catch up on all of you later today!

For now I'm off to the pool. It will be my 5th time this week. I think I feel gills growing!LOL

I am loving it so much and feel like I"m making so much progress that I want to keep building

on that. Swimming is freaking hard!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to run later.

Have a good one!!

fake it till you make it

JustBS swimming is hard! Congrats on all the progress.  I find it exhausting to swim- so much to think about to keep up the form.

I was fortunate enough to get out of most of my night shift last night so I'm headed out now for 15 miles.  Running part of it by myself then meeting up with my running group.  I'm especially happy to get it done this morning as it's 30-something out now but temps are going to start crashing later today. The *high* temp for Monday is forecasted at -8.  Yikes!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Morning early risers! I'm headed out for 16, with the last 3 at MP. I'm running with the running group, so the first 10 or so will be slower, then I'll venture out on my own to finish and pick up the pace. Enjoy your runs!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

Wow, we got started early today!

I have 18 miles w/ 12 miles at goal marathon pace on the schedule for the day.  I checked the weather and it looks like we have strong winds coming out of the south.  With the course I was planning to do, that would mean I'd be running into the wind almost the whole way.  Ugh.  So, I might do an out-and-back instead.  It would make for a boring run, but I'm not sure I feel like fighting wind during a GMP run.  They're hard enough as it is.

Just B.S., That is a lot of swimming.  Glad you're enjoyig it though.

JenRosie, Do you run on the treadmill?  It's going to get sub-30 in my area come Tuesday and that's about where I head inside.

SIAR, Hope you have a great run.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
            Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Nice.  I hit the post button and after about 10 minutes it went POOF.

Beth--You are an hour ahead of us...bout time you started the dailiesSmile.  I haven't in months.  Swimming is hard.  The last time I did workouts was 20 years ago.

Jen--Work the night shift often?  It was tough for me to run after work at 8AM, but where we used to live that was the only time of day that it was reasonably cool.  And by that, I mean 80 degrees.

SIAR--have a great 16

Julia--ditto on the 18.  I haven't run that distance in ages

Too much beer and pizza and the chance to sleep late has kept me inside.  It's beautiful right now...snowing...not windy...no traffic...but it's 10 degrees.  Will warm up later and I will go out just to keep the little streak going.  Time to tackle taxes and clean up my office.

Brains aint me forte

Just got back from a nice 14. Personals later.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm back...had a great run.  The first miles weren't as easy as I thought they'd be as I ended up running miles 4-8 with a couple of the guys from the store's race team.  I felt kinda badly leaving my normal running crew, but I think people understand.  I ended up with 16.06 total, with the last 3 miles a little under MP (6:48, 6:46, 6:40).  I also had a 6:50 mile at mile 8, but the rest of the miles were pretty moderate.  It was nice and sunny the whole time, and even though the wind was gusty, it really wasn't too bad.  Now I'm working on some eggs and sausage for protein - good stuff.

Beth...Is too much too soon a thing in swimming?  Be careful.  I'm glad you're enjoying it so much though and progressing quickly.  Hope you can squeeze a run in later too.

Jen...I agree, swimming is tough!  I did my first sprint tri last year and it took a ton of swimming practice (and my race swim was still terrible).  That must have been nice to get out of some of your late night work.  I hope the run went well and that you enjoyed the company for part of it.  Our temps are crashing too.  I'm oddly looking forward to it, but I think that will last about 3 minutes once I remember what it feels like.

Julia...Ugh, 12 miles at MP are tough!  Here I was feeling proud about finishing my last 3 at MP lol.  I'd definitely be changing my route up too if I were you.  Hope it went well.  Did you finish making your training plan last night?  I look and mine all the time and kinda wish I was about 4 more weeks further than I am.  Are you a Georgetown gal that you mentioned A.I.?  Glad to help grow your sports vocabulary Smile

Marco...Pizza and beer sound pretty good to me!  You may have just made my evening plans for me haha.  Good luck with the taxes and cleaning - those don't sound so fun.  Have a good run later.

Scott...Great work getting 14 in.  Seems like you've been running some really good miles lately.

NotSwift...Wow, that's running store overload by you.  I'm impressed by how you're able to take different runs from various plans and incorporate them into your training.  I want to get to that point, but right now I do better just being a puppet to the plan.

Jack...That sounds like a pretty cool near-elite experience you had!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone! Happy Saturday! I ran 1.3 on the way to meet the group, then 15.7 with them. Weather was beautiful, in the 30s and sunny. Personals later for me too, got a bunch of stuff to do right now...

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

fake it till you make it

Julia I've got nice treadmills and a 10 lap/mile track at my gym, I will be heading there for sure this week!  I can handle cold, rain, heat- but when its cold with gusting winds I throw in the towel on running outdoors.  How was the 18 with MP?  Those were the workouts I could never nail down the one pfitz cycle I did.  You should earn yourself a good reward for that workout!

Marco- no such thing as too much beer and pizza! I work 3 twelve hour shifts a week.  About 1/3 of my shifts are night shifts.  I don't mind too much except for the first night- I can't sleep before going to work so staying up 24+ hours at a time is draining, plus it messes with my running plans!  Have fun doing the taxes, maybe more pizza and beer would make that task easier.

Scott nice job on the 14 miles today.

SIAR- impressive pace at the end of your run!

My 15 is done, faster than planned.  Right now my training plan has 2 quality days a week, and next week it starts throwing in some faster progression/MP run on the long run day too.  Not sure I'll be able to swing all that, we'll see how tired the legs get.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jen...I love that you have a WTF? run in your log.  Hilarious.  I'm glad I haven't had one of those in a while, but I know exactly what they are.  Nice job on the 15 miles.  Are you doing another Pfitz cycle, or using someone different?  I've been surprised how well I've handled the progression runs this cycle (haven't done them before as I used Daniels' plan for my last 3 marathons).  Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

Swift...Great stuff with the 17 miles!  Have fun with all the chores.

Come on folks, I'm bored here.  Report in please haha.

fake it till you make it

Hi everyone! Happy Saturday! I ran 1.3 on the way to meet the group, then 15.7 with them. Weather was beautiful, in the 30s and sunny. Personals later for me too, got a bunch of stuff to do right now...

Must've posted at the same time.  Nice work!!

runmomto3boys

Beth: I hope your swim went well today!!  I am so glad you are enjoying it as much as you are!

Julia: I hope that MP run goes well today!!  Those are always so tough, but satisfying after the fact!  Hopefully the winds don't cause you too much trouble.

JenRosie: Enjoy those 15!  Sounds like a good plan for the day!

Scott: Woot!  Great job on the 14 miles today!!

SIAR: Incredible job on that run and on finishing with some blazing fast MP miles!!!  AWESOME job!

20 easy.  Usually I do LRs on Sunday, but I screwed with my schedule this weekend b/c of unexpected warm temps today (shorts, in January, in WI, what?).

Julia1971

Well, that was miserable.  Sad

Where to start...  I completed the 12 miles at GMP segment in 7:53 pace, which is waaay slower than where I want to be - in the 7:20s.  First mistake was that I overdressed.  When I left the house is was in the upper 30s but there were strong winds (14 mph).  I realized pretty immediately that I didn't need the jacket I had, or the hat, or the mittens.  I thought about turning back but thought I could just gut it out.  (Turns out, the high was 50 by the time I finished).  I get to the trail and start the GMP segment into the wind.  I try to keep 7:40ish pace but realize pretty quickly that it' was too hard.  It's just too hard trying to fight the wind to keep the pace I want.  Only 3 miles in and I have to start focusing on "marathon effort" rather than "marathon pace".  I'm a little disappointed, but...  What are you gonna do?  At the turn around, I'm so glad to have the wind at my back.  Yeah!  I expected my pace to be much faster but it wasn't.  And, it was noticeably warmer.  I unzipped my jacket and took off my gloves.  But, the pace was okay.  I faded every now and then but I pretty much kept that pace the whole time.  I was hitting another low with less than a half mile to go and what song comes on...  That's right, "All These Things I've Done" by the Killers.  I am Joan Benoit Samuelson!  I'm going to finish this disaster of a run strong!  Thanks, Scott.  I shuffle home feeling a bit defeated but I remind myself of a few things, 1) the conditions were terrible, 2) I still have a month of training before my taper, 3) my 10K tune up race will tell me more about where I am then any single workout, and finally 4) I probably will want to adjust my goal a little.  Up next: recovery.  I'm exhausted, y'all!  Hopefully, there's some terrible movie on one of the basic cable channels I get.  Smile

Marco, Pizza and beer sounds so good to me right now...  Hope you have a nice run today.

Scott and Swift, Glad you both had nice runs.

SIAR, Sounds like you had a fabulous run.  And, yeah, people understand that kind of thing.  At least when I'm running with my club, I don't think twice if people decide to run with different groups from one week to another...  I still have some tinkering to do with the plan.  I'm not sure what I was doing back in November.  LOL!

JenRosie, I'm with you on being a weather wimp.  I'm better than I used to be but I grew up in Southern California, so I'm proud that I even run when it's in the 30s.  It was so mild last year, though, that I didn't have to do any really long runs inside.  We'll see how it goes this week.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
                              Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Just B.S.

RUNRCHc, JK, really happy to see you back posting again, running again and happy to hear you

are doing better!!

SIAR, you are funny! I am reporting in SIR!!! I'm really glad your running is going to well again!

Pressing, I hope you are enjoying you well deserved weekend away!!

JenR, hope you enjoyed your run!

Julia, were you a seeded runner at Boston this year? One of our local runners is a phenom who only

started running marathons a few years ago in her early 40's and won the Detriot Free Press womens

title in 2010 and has been invited to NYC and Boston the last two years. I think she ran 2:48 in the heat

this year. Crazy stuff!!

EDITED: sorry I just read about your sucky run......Sad

Marco, I"m not normally an early morning girl, that's why I rarely start the threadl!LOL I did that for years

when the kids were young to get in my runs and then when I didn't have to anymore I just didn't! But now

pool times being what they are I guess I'm an early riser again.

Hi Scott, Swift and RunMomto3boys!!!

AS FOR ME.......SIAR I'm just been swimming so much the last few weeks because I start "official" marathon

training tomorrow and I think I"m going to have to cut back the swims to 3xWeek so I was just having fun!

I feel great and no aches or pains anywhere from the swimming, so far so good.

One of our local triathletes who is a certified swim coach offered to watch me swim today and give a few

pointers.  Then she swam and showed me what I was doing and then swam with the corrections. It was

really helpful.

I told her I've only been working on it for 2 weeks and she told me my body position, arm positions  and

breathing techniques were really good and that I was a natural, that I just needed more pool time to build

up my endurance. That made my day!  I need to work on rolling my body more, a more full extension of the

arms after entry and a little less kick. So that is my goal for this  week.

As far as my tease about our fall marathon.......don't want to give all details just "in case" the group trip falls

thru, we need 20 people and the meeting is next Sunday ....BUT here is a bit.......celebrate hubby's 50th

birthday with 10 days in Ireland (where we have both always wanted to go)  including  a marathon,  with

25+ running friends/spouses from home (including one of my best marathoner friends and her man) guided

by our marathon friend who operators a tour business and is a native  of Ireland!!

Sounds pretty good to me! Big grin