October:

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Julia1971

Drinking coffee trying to fully wake up so I can do a medium run today.  Given the time, it looks like I'll be running in to work since my run will be close to 2 hours.  And my legs are a little sore, so I might cut some mileage off and do 12ish instead of 14...  30 degrees?  I think this'll be my longest run in the cold so far.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Bad Ass

Morning!  Working from home today.  My allergy shot went ballistic and my arm is completely red now.  And swollen.  Had to ditch the weights last night and my 5 recovery miles felt horrible.  I have 9 easy miles tonight.  We'll see how that one goes.

Julia, good luck with your MLR.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Today's protocol was 2wu+6@MP+2cd. Did the miles on the local high school track, getting there at 0430.  For some reason the MP miles seemed harder today than they did last Sunday when I did 11 miles at MP during my long run.  Maybe it was the cold.  Heart rate was also higher than I thought it should have been.

Julia1971:  That seems hard core.  It was 36 here and I'm still cold.

DR:  Do you think you should have your arm checked by a doctor?  That sounds pretty severe.  Could it be blood poisoning?

I notice in the 2012-2013 Marathon & Ultra Race Thread in Beginners and Beyond that there are 9 people signed up for the Shamrock even though the races segment copied into this thread only shows 2.  Maybe there should be a master list that it just referenced in these other threads rather than trying to keep several different ones in sync.

Mostly Harmless

Good morning runners.

I have 10 on the calendar today.  I was supposed to run 5 of those at MP but I got mixed up and ran half of my 12 on Tuesday at MP so I'm just running this one as a general aerobic run.  The course I have mapped out is very hilly (for me) so I don't think I could tackle it at MP anyway.

Julia - I hope the MLR went well. I'm starting to get used to running in the colder temps.  Thinking about Marco and Beth helps. :-)

Damaris - The reaction you are having seems pretty bad. I second RVD's suggestion for a doctor visit.

RVD - I'll take 36 over 4:30am any day!  Have you run Shamrock before? I ran it last year (my first FM) and really enjoyed the whole experience.  The course was flat, lots of crowd support and cool swag.  The finishers medal doubles as a bottle opener.  I went back to Virginia Beach last summer and ran most of the first half again, minus the parts that were on the military base.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
            Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

RVD - I'll take 36 over 4:30am any day!  Have you run Shamrock before? I ran it last year (my first FM) and really enjoyed the whole experience.  The course was flat, lots of crowd support and cool swag.  The finishers medal doubles as a bottle opener.  I went back to Virginia Beach last summer and ran most of the first half again, minus the parts that were on the military base.

No, this will be my first Shamrock.  My "must do" race every year is Chicago.  I'll be registering for my sixth consecutive this year.

My daughter and a bunch of her friends are doing the Shamrock this year.  A couple of them are just doing the half but most of them are doing the full.  They are all Ironman people and this is the last marathon they can do before the training schedule cranks up for the Mont Tremblant Ironman in August for which they are all registered.

Just B.S.

Morning all!!

Ran on the treadmill last night for the first time this year and didn't want to kill myself!! Also found out that

I"m smarter while running. I could have been the Jeopardy champ last night!LOL

They were actually telling people on the local news yesterday not to be outside for longer periods of time if

you didn't have to be. The "feels like" was about -22F

Still debating about running outside today. It's much warmer with a "feels like" of -3F but i need 10 miles and

may lose a finger or two in the process!LOL  So much of my running is open to the big river with no protection

from the wind.

Julia, enjoy that warm run!LOL

Scott, the pup is very cute. However I cannot believe you are old enough to have  "Granddog"!!!

D.R. , hope your run goes well.

RVDowning, aren't you in Michigan? it gets pretty cold there as well doesn't it? A bunch of our local friends

did Mount Tremblant in 2012 and just raved about it!!

To all that follow, Hill, Jack, Pressing, Swift, Marco, SIAR (where are you?),  hope you all have a good one!

Mostly Harmless

Scott, the pup is very cute. However I cannot believe you are old enough to have  "Granddog"!!!

Beth - My DD is 19 and a stay at home college student.  The puppy was a stray that she adopted (with the OK from DW and me) last summer.  It's been a GREAT life lesson for her in responsibility. She had to give up a lot of "party time" last summer to stay home and care for the puppy. DW and I hope this means we won't have any human "grand-puppies" for another 10 years or so. :-)

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                  Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Just B.S.

Beth - My DD is 19 and a stay at home college student.  The puppy was a stray that she adopted (with the OK from DW and me) last summer.  It's been a GREAT life lesson for her in responsibility. She had to give up a lot of "party time" last summer to stay home and care for the puppy. DW and I hope this means we won't have any human "grand-puppies" for another 10 years or so. :-)

Ahhh, I hear ya on that!LOL     I would rather have Granddogs than Grandkids, at least for a few more years.

Our son is 21 and lives away at college. I miss him so much and he costs me too much money, therefore I wish

he was still  at home!LOL

Our older son came home with a dog one day when he was 19 but had already moved out on his own. 3 years

later he has learned a lot of lessons about responsiblity and still has and is completely devoted to his 100 lb

black lab!

jackdyl11

Docket - I third that call to see a doctor. That sounds pretty serious.

Julia - Did you get your 14 in?

RVD - I love Shamrock! I've done the half twice, and will definitely be back at some point for the marathon.  The first time I ran it was actually the first race I ever did longer than a 5k.  I thought I was going to be down there again for the 8k this year, because my wife had said she wanted to run the half, but I don't think that's going to happen.  Chicago is also my big goal race for the year.  It will be my first time running, so I'll be asking for advice when the time comes.

Just BS - My treadmill PR is 10 miles and I don't ever want to do that again.  Congrats in advance if you're able to get through it!

Scott - Sounds like you got both your hills and your MP in, so maybe it worked out better this way.

I had an ok workout this morning - 5x1200 averaging 4:00.  I was hoping to be a little faster. Maybe the cold held me back, or maybe I'm still in recovery.

RVDowning, aren't you in Michigan? it gets pretty cold there as well doesn't it? A bunch of our local friends

did Mount Tremblant in 2012 and just raved about it!!

No, I'm in Suwanee, GA, a suburb of Atlanta.

Bad Ass

That's the reaction from the shot.  The doctor is the one that put it in me.  They already know the reaction.  For next time, we are going down (again).  This happens too often for my taste.  I'm lethally allergic; that is why it's so big.

Today's protocol was 2wu+6@MP+2cd. Did the miles on the local high school track, getting there at 0430.  For some reason the MP miles seemed harder today than they did last Sunday when I did 11 miles at MP during my long run.  Maybe it was the cold.  Heart rate was also higher than I thought it should have been.

Julia1971:  That seems hard core.  It was 36 here and I'm still cold.

DR:  Do you think you should have your arm checked by a doctor?  That sounds pretty severe.  Could it be blood poisoning?

I notice in the 2012-2013 Marathon & Ultra Race Thread in Beginners and Beyond that there are 9 people signed up for the Shamrock even though the races segment copied into this thread only shows 2.  Maybe there should be a master list that it just referenced in these other threads rather than trying to keep several different ones in sync.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

6 easy last night, 6 easy today.  I'm just chillin' until MRT starts.  Intervals and such are over until the 15th.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Julia1971

I ended up doing 12 miles after all. It wasn't too bad. As long as my hands are warm, I'm usually okay. I put some hand warmer packets in my mittens and they stayed nice and toasty. Managed 8:25 pace which is on the last side but what I want to see if I want to make an attempt at sub-3:15 in March. Sitting at work under a blanket trying to get my core temperature up hoping no one needs me to stand up any time soon. Smile ... D_R, hope the swelling goes down soon... RVD, 36 sounds balmy. Enjoy it... Scott, sounds like a good adjustment to the plan. And, yes, I thought of Marco and Beth on my run and it silenced my mental complaining... Just B.S., yeah, you'd take 30 over a feels like of -22, I'm sure... Jack, my intervals tend to be slow in the winter, too. Not sure why... Sprinkles, enjoy the easy 6.

PressingOn

Quick post.  Heading out for my 20 miler in a bit.  It's a beautiful day to run!  28 degree's and sunshine!  That's a rare day here.  It'll probably be up to mid-thirties by the time I finish.  I'll try and check in later today.  Kids will be home from school shortly after I finish, stretch and shower and then we're going to my mom and dad's to visit with my brother and his family again before they leave.  Tomorrow normal life resumes.