Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 5/7/13 (Read 10 times)

May:

IPatti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11 - Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 5/11 - Mermaid Run East Bay Sirena18 (18 miles)

Docket Rocket - 5/11 - Lou Gehrig's Disease 10K

Marco59 - 5/12 - Fredericton Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19 - Run for the Red Marathon

Julia1971 - 5/19 - Capitol Hill Classic 10K

Runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

Julia1971 - 5/26 - Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon

CompetitiveChik - 5/27 - Patriots Day Half Marathon - Goal 1:55

June:

Julia1971 - 6/8 - Lawyers Have Heart 10K

Docket_Rocket - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

hilltopper91 - 6/21 - Media 5 Mile Race

BruceD555 - 06/22 - Grandma's Marathon

marco59 - 6/23 - Bay of Fundy Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

AthenaofAmerica - 7/6 Dirty Half Dozen 6-Hour Endurance Run

August:

Patti678 - 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

Runmomto3boys - 10/6 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

BruceD555 - 10/06 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 10/19 - Folsom Blues Breakout Half Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

ImNotScott - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

First and last again?  Maybe I am not getting enough sleep.

Six planned for after work this evening.  Weather looking better for Sunday.  Hopefully it will stay cool and the rain chances will diminish.

Have a great day!

Finally PRed!!!

Morning!

marco: Enjoy your 6 after work.

My shin and ankle are still just a little swollen (I was able to determine eventually that the shin is also swollen), but it doesn't really hurt (it does if I press on it hard, but not just walking around). I think I'll try a slow and short recovery run today and see how it goes.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Julia1971

SRD for me today?  I'm not sure what I'm doing.  It's too late to get in a pre-work run but I might run with my Ragnar team tonight.  The only problem is that I work so late that I would barely get there on time.  And I'm supposed to do 10 miles tomorrow, so I probably won't meet up with them but I'll take my running stuff into work just in case.

My calves are killing me.  I could barely walk down the stairs this morning.  Usually, the bottoms of my feet hurt after wearing my racing flats.  I'm going to take it as a good sign that the pain has moved upwards.

Marco, Thanks for getting us started again today.

Swift, It looks like we cross-posted.  Weird about your ankle.  Good luck with the test run.  Be gentle with it.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

marco59- Thanks for kicking us off this morning. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for Sunday and you'll get some nice overcast cool temps for the race. Enjoy your 6 this evening.

not too swift- Sorry about your ankle but hopefully your test run will be OK

Julia1971- Enjoy your day ... whether it's a SRD or a short run this evening. Though I've not run in flats, I experienced the same sort of thing when I switched to a low drop (5mm) shoe last year. First few runs left me with sore heels ... then Achilles ... then calves ... then nothing hurt and all was great.

Well, yesterday's lunch run at the office was faster than I should have done for recovery considering the route around the office is pretty hilly. Still, things felt great on the run and I'm feeling pretty much recovered. Today I'll probably do another 5-7 easy miles and might throw in some strides at the end for giggles.

Train smart ... race smarter.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning!  I'm not too sure what I'm doing today as far as running.  I may go to the trail and just goof around there for a bit.  I also need to look for a new bike saddle.  Pardon the "too much information," but it shouldn't still be painful to urinate the next morning after a ride.  I think I need to get one of those saddles that has a cut-out before I really hurt myself.

Marco..Have a good run later.  I actually think the rain may have helped me in my marathon, so maybe you'll have the same experience if the rain doesn't move out.

Swift...Hope the recovery run works out for you.

Julia..I'll put my money on you meeting the group ha.  Maybe you can talk them into running to work to meet you so you aren't as rushed?  Good luck with the calf pain.  I've actually split my track workouts between flats and other shoes when I was adjusting - just a thought.

Bruce...Behave yourself out there!  It is hard to reign it in when things feel good.  I guess if you're just running easily today it really doesn't affect much.  Have a good run later.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Mostly Harmless

Hi Runners!

Marco - Have a good run later.  I'm glad the weather forecast is shaping up for your race on Sunday.

NTS - I hope the recovery run goes well even if you aren't taking your own best advice by running on it today. ;-)

Julia - Enjoy your day, whatever you decide on doing. I've never run in racing flats before so I don't have any advice to offer about your calf pain.  I hope it diminishes quickly!

Bruce - It's cool that your recovery is going so well.  Enjoy the 5-7 today!

From yesterday...

Pressing - Congrats on your race! I'm looking forward to your race report soon.  It's good to hear that your ds is feeling better.

CC - I love running in colder weather too.  Enjoy it while it lasts!

I'm taking another rest day.  In fact, I might take off the rest of the week!  My calves are still really tight and I need to just let my body recover for a bit before I start base building for MCM in October.  I'm going to schedule a 90 minute massage for later in the week. Smile

MTA...

SIAR - Cross posted!  Enjoy the trail today and yep, I would look into a new saddle.  No fun having any sort of pain in that region of the body.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

My calves are killing me.  I could barely walk down the stairs this morning.  Usually, the bottoms of my feet hurt after wearing my racing flats.  I'm going to take it as a good sign that the pain has moved upwards.

Everybody who starts running fore/mid foot goes through this.  The shock wave that used to go up your bone structure is instead absorbed by your calf muscles.  If you don't let your calf muscles recover you will get a strain or tear.  Just wait until they aren't sore before you try it again.  Your calves will build up and then you'll be fine.  I run all my marathons in flats, or as close to flats that I can get, but when I converted from heel striking to fore/midfoot I did the usual "Too Much Too Soon" and got a calf strain.  I'll run Saturday's marathon in my Mizuno Wave Universe 3 with a 4mm heel/toe drop. Personally, I wish they had 0 heel/toe drop.  Those shoes have 1220 miles on them.

CompetitiveChik

Hey Guys, I really wanted to run this morning but I went for a ride instead. got in alittle over 16. pushed the whole way. no wind this morning made for a nice steady pace.

everyone have a great day

PS - I got my guaranteed entry into the Houston Chevron Marathon this morning. just waitin for the confirmation email now. should be by tomorrow. Eek! they asked what I wanted on my bib, I put "BQ or Bust"

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

CompetitiveChik

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was super fast. Registered less than 45min ago.

In training for the 2014 Chevron Houston Marathon!

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Bad Ass

Hi, guys!  I am in Court all day but I wanted to check in.  Back home and ran 3 miles this morning with more tonight with DH, after weights.  Recovery has been nice.

I posted an RR on the B&B if you care to read.  Actual temps were 100F (heat index) with 79 dewpoint (almost lethal), so I definitely think I ran it smart.

Gotta go!  Behave!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

I skipped the club run.  I remembered how much I hated running downtown during rush hour last time.  And, there will be more opportunities to bond with my team before June.  Plus, I saw the posts about my calves and thought maybe I should rest them until tomorrow.  So, a true SRD for me today.

Bruce, You seem to be recovering very well.  Hope you had another good run today.  And, thanks for the insight re the calves.

SIAR, I've been wearing them on and off for over a year now.  I wore them for the 5Ks I raced last month.  But, I didn't really wear them much when I was marathon training so 10 miles was probably too much...  I'm a little bummed about not running with them since they have happy hour after.  Maybe I should have just met them for happy hour.  LOL!

Scott, A whole week off and a massage!  You may never run again after all that recovery.  When do you start training for MCM?  I start July 1st, so are you starting June 23rd-ish?  Wow, that sounds soon.

RVD, Thanks for sharing your experience with the flats.  I'll be careful not to strain them too much.  I'll go back to my Wave Riders for the next few runs.

CC, Congrats on getting in the race!

D_R, That sounds brutal.  Did you get any pictures?  I'd love to see if the course went through scenic parts of the "state"/"territory".

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Did 6 miles on the trails today. I wore my NB Minimus just for kicks, and seemed to do okay in them. I also walked 9 holes of golf this evening. I managed to turn a 37 into a 42 with bad putting. Doh!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Did a little over 6 at MP before cooking supper.  In bed early tonight.

SIAR--I have run two marathons and a 5K in the Minimus.  However, going to switch to the Nike Fusion for Sunday.

Bad Ass

My RR has some scenic pictures but I didn't carry my phone so I didn't take any from the race.

I skipped the club run.  I remembered how much I hated running downtown during rush hour last time.  And, there will be more opportunities to bond with my team before June.  Plus, I saw the posts about my calves and thought maybe I should rest them until tomorrow.  So, a true SRD for me today.

Bruce, You seem to be recovering very well.  Hope you had another good run today.  And, thanks for the insight re the calves.

SIAR, I've been wearing them on and off for over a year now.  I wore them for the 5Ks I raced last month.  But, I didn't really wear them much when I was marathon training so 10 miles was probably too much...  I'm a little bummed about not running with them since they have happy hour after.  Maybe I should have just met them for happy hour.  LOL!

Scott, A whole week off and a massage!  You may never run again after all that recovery.  When do you start training for MCM?  I start July 1st, so are you starting June 23rd-ish?  Wow, that sounds soon.

RVD, Thanks for sharing your experience with the flats.  I'll be careful not to strain them too much.  I'll go back to my Wave Riders for the next few runs.

CC, Congrats on getting in the race!

D_R, That sounds brutal.  Did you get any pictures?  I'd love to see if the course went through scenic parts of the "state"/"territory".

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."