Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 02/16/2013 (Good Luck Pressing On) (Read 20 times)

Just B.S.

February:

PressingOn - 02/16 - Woolley Trail Run Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 02/17 - A1A Marathon

CompetitiveChik - 2/17 - Austin Half Marathon

Runnrchic - 02/24 - New Orleans Marathon - Goal: break 4:34

GregTR - 2/24 - Cowtown Marathon - Official 3:10 pacer

March:

Patti678 - 3/2- Albany Marathon, Albany GA

CompetitiveChik - 3/2 - Woodlands Marathon

JodisRunningForAutism - 3/3 - Seaside Half Marathon Destin, FL

not too swift - 3/3 - Intown Ten (10K) Road Race

PressingOn - 3/3 - Redmond Watershed Trail Run

Docket_Rocket - 03/09 - 13.1 Miami Beach

Julia1971 - 3/16 - Rock n Roll USA

ImNotScott - 3/16 - Rock n Roll USA

SIAR - 3/16 Hermes 5 miler

jojo61397 - 3/17 - Publix Atlanta Marathon - Goal: Sub-4:00 hour

Patti678 - 3/17 Publix Half Marathon, Atlanta GA

Not too Swift - 3/17- Georgia Marathon

athensguy - 3/17- Georgia Marathon

RVDowning - 3/17 - Shamrock Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 3/17 - LA Marathon

Joe1775 - 3/23 - Haulin' in the Holler 50K

Docket_Rocket - 3/23 - Palm 100 50K

JenRosie - 3/24 Irish Run 8K

onemile - 3/30 - Egg Shell Shuffle Half Marathon

PressingOn - 3/30 - Cupcake Run Marathon

April:

Docket_Rocket - 04/07 - Marathon Paris

runnrchic- 04/07- Gulf Coast HM, Pensacola

joe1775 - 4/13  - Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50

Docket_Rocket - 04/14 - Key Biscayne Half Marathon

marco59 - 4/15 - Boston - goal: 3:05

markrice - 4/15 Boston - goal sub 3:15

GregTR - 4/15 - Boston

JenRosie - 4/15 - Boston

onemile - 04/20 - Carmel Marathon

Xrayman: 4/21: Lansing Marathon

GregTR - 4/21 - London Marathon

SIAR - 4/28 - Glass City Marathon

GoneFishing - 04/28 - Big Sur, CA

May:

hilltopper91 - 05/05 - Broad Street Run

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19-Run for the Red Marathon

runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 06/13/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4- Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

August:

Patti678- 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

Just B.S.

Morning All!!

Good luck to Pressing On Today!! You will be on my mind. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Off to the pool in a few minutes and then a run with my Disney runner girls in preparation for

our half marathon next weekend!

Knee is back to normal. It was likely sore from the 6 mile run followed immediately by an hour

of hard kicking drills at the pool on Thursday.

Have a good one folks!

Mostly Harmless

Good luck Pam!

SRD for me. Hope to be on the road by 7:00. I probably won't post while I'm away.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Have a great race Pressing!  You've done some great training with your coach, so have fun with it and enjoy the reward for your hard work.

Beth...Nice to see that your knee isn't troubling you today.  Have a nice time with the Disney gals, and at the pool too!

Scott...Enjoy the rest day and your time away as well.

I'm off to meet my running group here in a few minutes.  We're running 9 miles, then doing a 5k prediction run with the running club.  It's actually to benefit a forum user from RWOL, and there are similar events being held all over the country.  I've so badly wanted to post about it to spread the word, but it's being done as a secret fundraiser.  Hopefully the turnout will be good.

Have a great Saturday guys and gals.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

PressingOn, Have a great race today!  Don't forget to take it all in and enjoy the journey.

I think I've decided not to race tomorrow.  It's going to be too windy.  I'm going to see if there might be a race next weekend I could do.  I think I'll do something like 18 today with a few MP miles in there.  I've rearranged by schedule so much this year that I'm not sure what I'm doing anymore.  Confused

Just B.S., Have fun at the pool.  I hope the knee behaves.

Scott, Safe travels.  I hear you all grabbed all the snow for yourselves last night.  Wink

SIAR, Have fun and way to support a fellow runner!  I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Run the mile you are in.

PressingOn

Hi all!  I'm up having breakfast at 4:00 a.m.  My body isn't sure what to make of that.  Thought I'd post while I'm sitting here.  I figured out my race outfit finally.  Bright pink!  Makes me easy to spot though I don't think this one has race photography, now that I think about it.  Hmm ...  Oh well, it will make me feel bright and chipper as I run along.  Can't tell what the weather will do.  Weather.com says rain will now hold off until around 11:00 and Accuweather says rain from the get go.  I am dressed in layers and bringing a rain jacket/vest that I can use if it's raining at the start.  I also decided on the hydration belt.   Only goal is to race slow and have fun.  No PR.  I want to be fresh in two weeks for the more difficult trail run.  That means I'll be taking photo's to post for all of you.  Smile

Beth - Have some good workouts today.  Glad the knee is feeling better.  Relief, huh?

Scott - Have a great SRD and safe travels.

SIAR - That's awesome you're helping out a forumite.  Sometimes this online world is a special place.  Other times, not so much but we won't dwell on that part.  Wink  Have a great time!

Julia - Racing in wind is tough.  You may not know exactly what you're doing but as long as you keep running forward you'll be fine.  Lol.

Okay, I'm done with bfst and ready to put on the socks and shoes.  See ya all 26.2 miles later!

Bad Ass

Morning!  I have a 5 miler with strides tonight.  Weather tomorrow is cold and windy.  37F feels like at the start and 18mph winds.  I'll bet the volunteers will be in parkas.

Beth, enjoy your run and nice swim.

Scott, enjoy the rest.  Have fun and stay safe on the road.

SIAR, enjoy the group run.  Unless I'm mistaken about the person, main event date is next week.

Julia, sorry about the race but if it was for a PR, yes, too windy is a challenge.  Good call.

Pam, good luck today!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Good morning,

Got up with no alarm to do a little under 15 before the snow and rain get here.  It was a nice 37 and it felt good to run in shorts.  Still, it was a bit icy, and had to wade through a foot of snow in one place where a bridge was closed to vehicle traffic.  I felt like I could have gone another two hours.  Saturday is my only day to get anything above 10 miles done and I need to a few of those before April.

Today will be spent relaxing and doing some chores around the house.  Not going to Fredericton for Valentine's Day because of the uncertain weather.  Instead will be going to a friend's for dinner.

Beth--thanks for the start and enjoy the pool

Scott--enjoy your time away

SIAR--hope you have a good turnout

Julia--I have no schedule...don't know what I have planned until I wake up.  Since you have races to choose from, I would beg off tomorrow.  I hate the wind.

Damaris and Pressing--we'll be anxiously waiting...good luck!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

12.56 total for me.  Lots of weird pains in both my ankles today, but I figure the prudent thing to do is ignore them Undecided

Julia...Hope you can find something next weekend to race.  It's just so hit or miss this time of year with the weather, unfortunately.  With all your schedule adjusting you're following more of a Hudson philosophy than I am ha.  Regardless, you're getting your mileage in and still training well.  18 today sounds tough!

Pressing...Can't wait to see the pics, and we all hope you're out there running strongly and feeling well!

Docket...now I have that "A1A, Beachfront Avenue...girls lookin' hot wearin' less than bikinis" song in my head.  I think it was Fresh Prince?  I'm sure the parkas will be out in full force.  Oh, and I'm sure you're right about the person/event, and I do think a lot are next week.

Marco...I'm not sure which is better, the 15 miles or getting to wake up without an alarm!  Your steady diet of 10s haven't hurt you in the past, so I'm sure that if you can throw a couple more long runs in there you'll be good to go.

Hi to Swift, Jen, RVD, CC and the rest of y'all.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jojo61397

Good luck Pam!!!

I gave up facebook for lent, and I have not been good about coming on here either.  I'm doing a rest day today.  I have a question about tapering, so QOTD...

Which is better a 2 week taper or 3 week taper?  Which do you do?

I'm considering doing my last 20 mile run Monday, and then starting taper then, which would be a 3 week taper.  I'm doing a half marathon on 3/3, and I want a PR.  So I want to "taper" for that race, and then continue to taper for the marathon.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                      Sub- 1:45 hour half.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jodi....Hey, long time no see!  Unfortunately, I think taper is pretty individualized.  I've been feeling like I haven't been sharp enough going into my races, so I'm actually doing a very reduced taper for my marathon this time (it'll be two weeks, but 70 and then 60 miles the week of).  If I had to give you advice, I would lean towards recommending a two week taper for a half marathon.  That's because your mileage probably isn't has high as marathon mileage anyway, so I don't think the extra week of running would fatigue your legs.  You may just want to base it on how your feeling, as far as whether you're fresh or fatigued right now.  I'd try and keep some quality running in there too while just reducing the volume.

fake it till you make it

Pressing- hope you had a great race, looking forward to a race report!

Beth so glad to hear the knee just needed a little rest.

Scott enjoy the tourney!

SIAR hope you have a good turnout for the fundraiser. Ignoring the pain- I like the way you think!  Denial is a great tool for runners. Wink

Julia I think it’s a wise move to skip the race. If the purpose of the race is to be a predictor for your goal race, it isn’t going to be much help if the conditions are quite poor. And, you don’t want to push too hard and give it all up at this race instead of on your goal race.

D-R Good luck tomorrow!

Marco- shorts? Again, color me jealous. It was a “feels like -12” according to my phone when I left the house for my run this morning. Nice job getting the run in before the weather hit.

Jodi I’m not even close to an expert about tapering and there seems to be a lot of debate about 2 vs. 3 weeks. I do think it is more important to think about dropping the volume but not dropping the intensity so the legs don’t get stale/slow.

18.5 miles done for me this morning. And boy was it cold. I felt pretty good though- didn’t push the pace very fast but felt like at the end I could’ve run faster/farther. Nice to feel like I had some gas left in the legs I guess.

jojo61397

I just never know what to do with marathon training...

If I run my schedule as originally planned, I would do a 16 miler this Monday, then next week I would do 20 miles on Tuesday, followed by a half marathon on Sunday.  And I don't know if I can PR a half marathon after doing 20 miles.  Whereas if I do a 20 miler this week, then do a 16-18 miler next week (with a few miles at marathon pace), I feel more confident in PRing the half marathon.  Either way I would get the same mileage in either case.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                            Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Julia1971

Finished 18 miles in 8:25 pace, which is crazy fast for me.  But, I was enjoying some great tunes - I finally got around to going through the playlists posted last week and buying some new songs.  I think I listened to Bad Romance (JenRosie) for a good hour with Littlie Lion Man (SIAR), and Wild, Wild, Life (Scott) mixed in there, too.  (I'm going to continue playing Bad Romance non-stop to get back at my new neighbors for making so much noise.  Evil)

Hoping to take a nap and then run some errands.

QOTD: I'm leaning towards 2 weeks.  For the reason SIAR gave and also because I asked the question in a poll and that's what the majority said.  Smile

D_R, Hope you have a nice shake out run tonight and have a good night's sleep.

Marco, Bummer that your dinner plans fell through.  Sounds like you had a great run, though - shorts!

SIAR, What's your shoe situation?  Have you finally found something you're happy with?  With all the moving workouts around, I actually hit 94 miles this week.  I'm half tempted to go out and run 6.  I'm not.  I don't think.  I'll try not to.

JoJo, Great to see you again!  Did you run Disney?  How'd it go?

JenRosie, Glad you had a good run.  Fresh legs after a tough one is a great feeling.

Run the mile you are in.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...nice work there speedy! I'm glad you had fun with all of our tunes. I got those Saucony Cortanas, which I really like. I still need to find two more pair though, one racing and one for mileage. I think the ankle pain is from doing a lot of downhill stuff recently, which I'm guessing is why you asked about the shoes. I'll try to avoid the down stuff next week. I'd be really tempted to go run those 6 miles too. Honestly though, there's probably no real benefit to the extra 6 and it may not be worth it after the hard effort. 94 is awesome. My week ends on Sun, so I'll hit my 100 tomorrow. After that I'm behaving.

Jen..yep, us runners are seemingly always in denial about one thing or another. Great strong run for you today...nice confidence boost.