GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Julia1971

Good morning.

14 mile run to work on tap for me today.  It's drizzling and about 40 degrees out so it's probably going to be a little miserable.  And, it'll still be dark out so I'll need to wear some hard core reflective gear.

Bad Ass

Morning!  SRD for me with weights and kickboxing tonight.

Julia, enjoy your 14.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Finally PRed!!!

Morning! I managed to miss posting a  couple days, will catch up a little later.

Julia: good luck with the 14, that's not my favorite weather either.

Docket: enjoy the weights and kickboxing later!

I have just a short recovery run planned, switched that with yesterday and took my RD yesterday instead of today, the legs were just too sore and tired after the weekend runs. They feel much better now, but I'm still glad it's an easier day planned.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

Mostly Harmless

Good Morning!

I have 8 planned for later. It's looking pretty gross outside right now but I'll probably run in the rain and avoid the TM.

Julia - I hope the 14 went well.

Damaris - Enjoy the Kickboxing and weights later.

NTS - Have a nice recovery run and I hope the legs continue to feel better.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
            Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Screwed up morning today.  Thought I had the alarm set for 3:15.  When it went off I would check the weather and either get up and go to the track, or get another hour or so of sleep and run on the treadmill at work.  Well, it seems I had the alarm set for the wrong day.  Sigh...   Anyway, I woke up 22 minutes late and made a mad dash to get to the track since it wasn't raining.

Today was long intervals, 2wu+2(3m@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd.  Had no problem with the pace; actually sped it up by 5 seconds per mile.  But as I was doing the second recovery mile I realized that I hadn't put my work clothes in the car, so I was going to have to go back home.  Also, during that recovery mile it started raining again (Its pouring out there now), so I pulled the plug on the endeavor and will add the 2 cool down miles to my treadmill run tomorrow.  Instead of taking the SRD on Wednesdays I usually just do 4 on the treadmill.  So, tomorrow it will be 6.  At least I'll get the miles in that way.

Plus, I forgot to turn off my Garmin, so I'll have to go edit the file.

Julia:  Water shoes are just shoes that people wear around the beach or river, just to protect their feet from getting abrasions from rocks, etc.  I used to run barefoot so I don't need any cushioning.  I liked the water shoes but they didn't wear well.  I would only get about 150 miles on them before I would wear a hole through the sole.  The kind I wear are soft, with a soft sole, totally pliable.  I can't find them any more.  The only ones I see now actually have a hard sole and are totally different.  It is hard to tell from online ads what they are really like.  I don't like the hard sole ones at all.  The ones I wear are more like moccasins.  I've relegated them to be worn only when it is wet/raining outside so that I don't damage my more expensive Mizunos.  The water shoes I wear only cost me $15.00 per pair, but as I said, I can't find them any more.  Cry  I'm thinking of stopping in Bass Pro shops or some such place to see what they might have on hand.

Busy at work.  They seem to be moving fast at finding my replacement and as I have not received a pay raise for my added responsibility I wont' be too disappointed being "demoted" back to my old job.

I did 10 earlier at LR pace.

Scott--I have been using Marathonguide for keeping track of my shoes and I guess I'll keep using that in addition to RA's.

Have a good day!

CompetitiveChik

another RD here for me. I'm feelin much better today but still alittle tired. Thinkin back on sunday I wish I could have pushed myself harder. I know I could have done better. (I'm still very happy with my time). I got across the start line 5min before I thought I would so I had to hold a somewhat slower pace so I wouldn't miss any of my ppl that were out there lookin for me. Turns out I missed my friend at mile 5, my friend runnin with me was waitin since 7am so I could have gone faster. But I still had fun and that's what I wanted. I can't wait till the next couple of days pass so I can get past the "what if" stages of this. UGH!

julia - be safe gettin to work. I wish I could run to work but I would have to cross too many major intersections and a highway.

docket - enjoy your srd

nts - nothing wrong with switching rd's. enjoy your run today

ins - I love runnin in the rain. although I have to admit, I would rather be out in it when it starts than be inside and have to go out.

rv - yikes! sounds like you need a do over. hope the rest of the day goes well for you

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

jackdyl11

Man, roller coaster ride in running enthusiasm the last two days.  I was not into running yesterday, just managed to anger run 3 miles on the treadmill.  Then today I got an email saying I got a bib for Cherry Blossom.  And then I got another saying I'd won a jacket as part of our local race series! So, now I'm flying high again.  8 miles tonight with 8x800 on 1 minute rest.

Julia - Hope you had fun in the rain.

Docket - Kickboxing sounds fun! I wish I was coordinated enough for that.

NTS - Yup, sometimes you just have to take it easy.  I hate missing a run, but recovery is important too (I tell myself today after getting super angry at myself about not wanting to run last night).

Scott - Enjoy the TM.

RVD - Sorry the workout didn't go as planned.  2x3m at HM pace - 5 still sounds like a substantial workout, though.

Marco - So howd they convince you to do more work for the same pay again?  I have a feeling that's about to happen around here...

CC - I always get regretful after a race even if I did well.  1 minute over your PR in those conditions is really impressive.  It looks like the leaders were maybe 3-4 minutes slower than usual, as a data point for your next attempt.

Mostly Harmless

8 done in a light rain at about 40 degrees F. I was slightly over dressed so I kept having to zip and unzip my jacket to cool off but all in all,  it was a very enjoyable run.  I skipped the 8x100 VO2 max today. If the mood strikes me tomorrow, I'll do those after a 1 mile warm up instead of taking a SRD.  Or I might go to Five Guys instead. Shocked

I almost forgot to mention that I found $10 while I was running!  After a not so great morning, I took this as a good omen that the rest of the day will improve.

RVD - Sorry your day got off to such a rough start.  I hope the TM miles go better tomorrow.

Marco - I just got back to my old job after a temporary "promotion" like that.  Twice as much responsibility at the exact same pay.  Good to see you back at your usual 10 today.

CC - I know you feel with the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" stuff.  It will pass. :-)  Enjoy your RD.

Jack - Congrats on getting into Cherry Blossom and winning the jacket.  Great timing to boost your sagging enthusiasm!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey running pals.  Great run for me today - 6 miles easy, then 6 miles progression (7:20, 7:05, 6:53, 6:47, 6:44, 6:30).  There really was no need for the last mile to be that pace, but there's just something about running the last mile fast that feels right.  I'll have to base tomorrow's workout on how I feel after I get moving though, since today was a good, hard effort.

Julia...You sound like me...I don't like to run in the rain either.  It seems like a lot of people on these running boards love it for some strange reason.  Anyway, hope you got it done and that it wasn't so bad.

Docket...Have fun training to thwart all potential assailants!

Swift...Nice to see you again!  Glad to hear the soreness is diminishing, and hopefully the recovery miles will get you all squared away.  Recovery miles are my new best friend.

Scott...Yep, avoiding the mill at all cost is usually my strategy too.  I hope the 8 go well, wherever they happen.

RVD...Ugh, sounds like a rough morning!  Nice job on the long intervals though.  Those can be pretty taxing, mentally and physically.  You're not the first person that I've seen mention running in those water shoes...must be something to them.

Marco....I can't blame you for wanting the demotion when you would have the same pay and less work!  Nice 10.

CC...I read your comments yesterday...I'm sure lots of people had the chafing issues with the rain.  I wonder if straight vasoline would work better than Body Glide in those conditions?  It's really hard not to feel like you could have done more after a race, but it sure sounded like  you gave a great effort given the conditions and other things going on.  Plus, with another marathon not too far down the road, you'll have a great base going into it and you're really set up for a great race.

Jack...Angry run and temper tantrum?  Spending too much time with the young ones these days? ha  I'm glad the Running Gods turned things around for you with the Cherry Blossom entry and the new jacket.  Have a great run tonight.  I'm looking forward to getting back to the track soon too (I think my schedule has me there in 2 or 3 more weeks).

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scott...Xposted with ya...nice job getting out and running.  I guess that's what the zippers are there for, right? lol  I kinda agree with what Julia was saying the other day about RDs making the body feel more sluggish.  Trying something like a little warm up, strides, and a cool down would be a great way for you to see if you agree as well.  Nice work on finding the $10 too!  I keep running past this nickel and feeling badly for not getting it, but I don't want to stop haha.  I'm not sure how I feel about 5 Guys.  I've only had it a couple times.   Phil Mickelson is part owner, and I like him, so I'm willing to give it a few more tries.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

at my level there are three of us.  The other two put in for the job, and I did not.  If I stay on awhile it will look good on the resume since I am supervising over 120 employees.

Julia1971

(Posting from my Blackberry so no paragraphs. Although, I wonder of p tags will work...). The run in was pretty uneventful. I was soaked the whole time. And, I felt pretty lonely on the trail. My Garmin malfunctioned which was infuriating. I think it was low battery and not water, though. Best part: I put all my stuff in the shower room but left my shoes in my office so I was walking in my stocking feet since my shoes were soaked. Of course, that's when someone spots me and takes the opportunity to introduce me to a our new employee. I joke about how I normally wear shoes but. What are you gonna do?

(Testing p tags). Personals this evening if p tags don't work. I'm hoping to get a new phone next month.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...At least from an Ipad, using < p >  (without the space between) creates a paragraph.  It's a bit of a pain though, and I think we can all decipher paragraphless posts.  That's hilarious about meeting new employees without shoes.  There is something about being a runner that just makes you get over yourself sometimes and go with the flow lol.  Sorry the run wasn't so fun.  Just FYI, Eddie Bauer makes a waterproof cap that I wear, which keeps me moderately happy on wet runs.

Marco...I'm sure it will look very good for you!  That's a lot of work and responsibility, which sounds like it deserves more pay.