Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 1/18/2013 (Read 14 times)

Bad Ass

Thanks!

Done

RVD, but the plan that you purchased has longer LRs, no?

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Thanks!

RVD, but the plan that you purchased has longer LRs, no?

DR: Well, the longer runs go up to 18 miles, but that is in keeping with their philosophy that a long run should not exceed 30% of one's weekly mileage.  This plan goes from 40 to 60 mpw, so when one is hitting 60 mpw the long runs move up to 18 miles which is 30%.

8 done at 1F.  Disappointed that it didn't get below zero until when I was leaving for work.  I actually made 6 miles before I had to stop and warm up the hands, which were the only parts that were cold.

QOTD--marathons for now...until I start slowing down.  5Ks are hell, but they don't last long.  10K is probably my least favorite and I have yet to do a half.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Looks like another lunch run for me.  Even though I've been feeling better, I still have a bit of a cough.  Last night, I was thrilled to be visited by a major coughing fit, so I didn't sleep particularly well and thus slept in a little too long.

As for the QOTD...I'm a marathon guy.  I think part of that is because I have better endurance than I do speed, or at least I feel like I do.  I also started running specifically because I wanted to do a marathon, so I just have a connection with the distance.

Jack...Sorry about the foot pain last night.  I hope it's nothing to be concerned about and nothing that a few beers wouldn't cure.  Julia and I were talking the other day about just being "gamers."  That is to say, we just perform better in races than practices.  We were both also college athletes, and I know at least for me and I think her too, I was nowhere near the player I was in practice that I was in games.  I hope the wife and kids feel better.  That's cool that you like the mile - I've never even raced one.  I also rarely find myself "racing" people in races, so I can see how that'd be something you'd want more of.

NotSwift...Just curious, do you remember how many MPW you were doing on Hudson?  I've been doing a little more right now than the plan has, but I think it'd be plenty with the stock plan too.  It sounds like your group is a little smaller than mine.  We've been getting 40-50 people per run, which is kinda crazy!  It's a pretty even split of men and women too.  Good job keeping up with the others' paces on your run and getting the other 6 in too.  Have a good rest day.

Scott...Another lunch runner...nice!  We have some warmer temps and wind today too.  I'm half tempted to try golfing today or tomorrow before the real cold snap moves in.  I blame Pressing for bringing it up and making me want to get out there.  Thanks for getting our new member's races up.

Beth...Wow, that's some cold air!  Great work on the swim run swim day yesterday.  It reminded me of a few of my tri days from the summer.  I'm really feeling so much internal pressure to get on the bike and in the pool, but I'm enjoying my running so much right now that I want to keep my mileage high and not worry about extra fatigue.  I guess I'm debating whether or not this will be the year to go for my ironman.  Your new adventure sounds like it's going to be a great one!  I hope it works out.

JenRosie...Funny that you said 5 down the hatch today...sometimes, if I'm struggling, I'll tell myself "you eat miles."  It's a silly expression, but usually perks me up.  There are a few of us that have mentioned liking the marathon training as much as the racing, so you're not alone there.  As for getting too old for this, I'll keep my mouth shut because I think I'm the baby of the group.  Oh, you were asking about the Bermuda challenge...it's the same as the Goofy at Disney, a 10k, half marathon, and marathon in Bermuda.

RVD...That's a great progression run.  It's difficult to tune the paces in 10sec increments like that, at least for me.  It's funny how Hanson and Hudson use "progression" differently.  Hanson's use is traditional, but Hudson just has a progression as an easy run with some faster miles on the back half, but at a single speed instead of an increasing one.  Your 5k/10k description was funny.  I really haven't run many of either...none since 2010.

Docket...You're killing the FEs these days!  I bet you'd be really good at the 50k distance.  So what'd you wear for 56F?  I jacket and stocking cap? Smile

Rmt3b...Ah, I see how you meant the MP.  It is kinda hard to run the miles without a pace to base them off of lol.  Looks like a lot of miles for you over the next 3 days...run well.

Julia...Excited, not nervous.  Right.  I'm always excited, just look at how many exclamation points I use!  You're another one of the middle race distance fans huh?  I guess the cool thing about a marathon cycle is that you usually get to race a couple of those as part of your training.  I would like to try really training for a 10 miler at some point to see if I could ever break 60, but I don't know if I'd have the time for that kind of cycle or the talent to do it.  Good job with the recovery run and strides.  Hope you get some good rest.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Marco...You're obviously much tougher than Beth, getting out there in the cold haha.  I don't envy either of you, that's all I know.  Do you use those little hand warmer pads?  I'd imagine you've tried everything at this point.  Good work with the 8.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

CompetitiveChik

Hey All,

quick jump on here. I"m not feelin 100% today so I'm gonna veg and get lost in tv. another RD for me. I was suppose to meet a friend for yoga and spin but it didn't happen.

QOTD: I love to race HM. although I don't do a whole lot of them. I loathe 5k's. I won't sign up for them anymore. If I get a compted (sp?) entery I'll do it but i won't sign up for the. I love the half distance. It's just far enough for me to push myself to the limits and not too far that I can start to doubt myself.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Bad Ass

Arm warmers only.  Well, I had a shirt and shorts, but you get the idea.

Looks like another lunch run for me.  Even though I've been feeling better, I still have a bit of a cough.  Last night, I was thrilled to be visited by a major coughing fit, so I didn't sleep particularly well and thus slept in a little too long.

As for the QOTD...I'm a marathon guy.  I think part of that is because I have better endurance than I do speed, or at least I feel like I do.  I also started running specifically because I wanted to do a marathon, so I just have a connection with the distance.

Jack...Sorry about the foot pain last night.  I hope it's nothing to be concerned about and nothing that a few beers wouldn't cure.  Julia and I were talking the other day about just being "gamers."  That is to say, we just perform better in races than practices.  We were both also college athletes, and I know at least for me and I think her too, I was nowhere near the player I was in practice that I was in games.  I hope the wife and kids feel better.  That's cool that you like the mile - I've never even raced one.  I also rarely find myself "racing" people in races, so I can see how that'd be something you'd want more of.

NotSwift...Just curious, do you remember how many MPW you were doing on Hudson?  I've been doing a little more right now than the plan has, but I think it'd be plenty with the stock plan too.  It sounds like your group is a little smaller than mine.  We've been getting 40-50 people per run, which is kinda crazy!  It's a pretty even split of men and women too.  Good job keeping up with the others' paces on your run and getting the other 6 in too.  Have a good rest day.

Scott...Another lunch runner...nice!  We have some warmer temps and wind today too.  I'm half tempted to try golfing today or tomorrow before the real cold snap moves in.  I blame Pressing for bringing it up and making me want to get out there.  Thanks for getting our new member's races up.

Beth...Wow, that's some cold air!  Great work on the swim run swim day yesterday.  It reminded me of a few of my tri days from the summer.  I'm really feeling so much internal pressure to get on the bike and in the pool, but I'm enjoying my running so much right now that I want to keep my mileage high and not worry about extra fatigue.  I guess I'm debating whether or not this will be the year to go for my ironman.  Your new adventure sounds like it's going to be a great one!  I hope it works out.

JenRosie...Funny that you said 5 down the hatch today...sometimes, if I'm struggling, I'll tell myself "you eat miles."  It's a silly expression, but usually perks me up.  There are a few of us that have mentioned liking the marathon training as much as the racing, so you're not alone there.  As for getting too old for this, I'll keep my mouth shut because I think I'm the baby of the group.  Oh, you were asking about the Bermuda challenge...it's the same as the Goofy at Disney, a 10k, half marathon, and marathon in Bermuda.

RVD...That's a great progression run.  It's difficult to tune the paces in 10sec increments like that, at least for me.  It's funny how Hanson and Hudson use "progression" differently.  Hanson's use is traditional, but Hudson just has a progression as an easy run with some faster miles on the back half, but at a single speed instead of an increasing one.  Your 5k/10k description was funny.  I really haven't run many of either...none since 2010.

Docket...You're killing the FEs these days!  I bet you'd be really good at the 50k distance.  So what'd you wear for 56F?  I jacket and stocking cap? Smile

Rmt3b...Ah, I see how you meant the MP.  It is kinda hard to run the miles without a pace to base them off of lol.  Looks like a lot of miles for you over the next 3 days...run well.

Julia...Excited, not nervous.  Right.  I'm always excited, just look at how many exclamation points I use!  You're another one of the middle race distance fans huh?  I guess the cool thing about a marathon cycle is that you usually get to race a couple of those as part of your training.  I would like to try really training for a 10 miler at some point to see if I could ever break 60, but I don't know if I'd have the time for that kind of cycle or the talent to do it.  Good job with the recovery run and strides.  Hope you get some good rest.

Blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Just got back from the DMV.  I'm an idiot and totally forgot that my license expired with my last birthday.  Fortunately, there's no penalty for up to 6 months (I realized it after 1) so I was able to get it taken care of without any trouble.  I kind of like my new, bearded license pic ha!

As for the running, got 8.05 miles in around recovery pace, including 8x8sec hill sprints.  My legs feel better than when I started the run, so I figure that's a good thing.

CC...Enjoy your rest in front of the tv.  I hope you feel better.

Docket...I'm surprised you weren't more bundled up!

PressingOn

Hey all!  No personals today as I'm trying to get out of here for my girls weekend.  I did read though.  I started my morning out as a good girl should and went to the gym for my workout.  Managed 1500 yards at the pool before deciding I was good.  It was busy!  It's never that busy in the a.m. when I go.  Must be New Year's Resolution people there.  I got another compliment on my swim stroke.  It feels good to get compliments.  Maybe one day I'll feel like I deserve them!  Smile

I will answer the QOTD.  I think I would have to say the marathon.  I love the vibe at a marathon and I feel like I can take my time (there's no other way for me) and enjoy the scenery, the other runner's and the course.  Loved RVD's description of the 5K and 10K by the way.  LOL!  I do have to say I enjoy doing a 5K if it's at an easy pace and I'm doing it for fun with friends or better yet, my kids!

Okay, I'm outta here!  I probably won't check in over the weekend but you never know.  I may brave posting from my phone.  Have a good one everybody!

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: the first time I did a Hudson plan was for a half, and I used basically the level 2 half plan but jumped into it a few weeks in from doing similar mileage on my own. I did add a few miles and made a couple of the LRs longer. Averaged maybe 45 mpw and peaked in high 50s (but only a couple weeks that high). The second time was my Buffalo cycle, when I made a lot more of my own plan with most of his principles, did use the level 2 marathon somewhat as a guide, but opted for more traditional LRs and did not do as many of the progression runs (because many days legs did not feel up to it). I also ran the day before the LR more than he has in the plan. My average (including taper) was 49. Had a few pretty deep cutback weeks because my legs were so sore and I couldn't hit decent paces.

MTA: I think the group last night was small because of the weather. Other times I've run with this group there's been at least 20 or so, but when I got to the store last night, I was pretty surprised there were only maybe 10 (plus the couple other guys that showed later). But  we had rain going on and temps dropping into the 30s so a lot of  people were thinking we'd get snow or something. Another factor could be that a new running store (actually a new location of one that has several) just opened a few miles away, and they also do their runs on Thursday. I might check their runs out also sometime. But it was unusual to me to see so few people.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

QOTD: marathon, I think. My last one went so badly that I'm not totally sure right now (but then again my 2012 HMs were craptastic also, it just was not a good year for me racing-wise). I do like HMs a lot too. Shorter distances, not so much, but I do them because I know they're good for me. And I think I will definitely want to try some ultras in the next few years.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Bad Ass

Not me.  I like the cold.

Just got back from the DMV.  I'm an idiot and totally forgot that my license expired with my last birthday.  Fortunately, there's no penalty for up to 6 months (I realized it after 1) so I was able to get it taken care of without any trouble.  I kind of like my new, bearded license pic ha!

As for the running, got 8.05 miles in around recovery pace, including 8x8sec hill sprints.  My legs feel better than when I started the run, so I figure that's a good thing.

CC...Enjoy your rest in front of the tv.  I hope you feel better.

Docket...I'm surprised you weren't more bundled up!

Blog

Just B.S.

Morning!  4.65 recovery miles early today with a fellow forumite MarjorieAnn.  Very nice FE last night and today.  It was cold (56F, LOL) but unfortunately, it won't last long.

Beth, that sounds cold!

Sorry D, that doesn't even come close to being cold. That's what we call early summer

around these parts.

It was 60 degrees colder than that here today.Big grin

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Swift...That's crazy that you have multiple running stores in your area. Usually they are such a rarity. I could see that hurting the numbers for group runs. I've been surprised how hearty the folks from our store have been. I think this cold weather next week will test them though. Thanks for sharing more of your Hudson experience. I'm really happy so far that it's what I chose. I've been adding mileage too, so my day before the long run has probably been more like yours were. My schedule is kinda screwed up though because I run my weeks Mon - Sun, and so I moved the very first one to the end of the week instead of starting with a LR. I think that means I'm going to end up missing one LR on the back half of the plan. I can see what you were saying about the progressions getting tough btw. So far, so good for me though. Fingers crossed!

Julia1971

Thank goodness it's Friday and I have a 3-day weekend ahead of me.  Ugh!  So, excited about sleeping in tomorrow...  I'm going to stay up a few hours to work on my training plan.  I forgot that I never finished it  I plugged in some basics but thought I'd come back to it later.  Later is this weekend.  The next phase of Pfitz is pretty hard core and I need to make sure I know what I'm doing...  I also found out from the Cherry Blossom people that seeded runner "only" gets my 2nd corral.  Sad  I have to be elite to get 1st corral.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll still a low bib number.  Smile

RVD, I think I got confused about the timing.  Hope you get some sunlight tomorrow.

Marco, Keep plugging away!  No treadmill runs for you, yet, right?

SIAR, I'm not sure I've heard of the term "gamer" before.  It made me think of Allen Iverson.  He's gotta be the ultimate "gamer"...  Glad you're happy with your driver's license pic.

CC, Keep enjoying those recovery days.  No point in hurrying your recovery.

Run the mile you are in.