Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 03/08/13 (Read 13 times)

Julia1971

RVD, That's interesting re caffeine. I'd be curious to find out if you think it worked.

SIAR, Good luck finding shoes that works for you. Sorry about your feet. A couple rest days won't hurt (says the woman with the 90+ day running streak)... There was one season when the "babe"s on TAR were so bad I thought the producers had to have suggested it to the teams.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Bad Ass

Morning.  Asthma has been bad and the last two runs have sucked, so 6 recovery miles or zero depending on how the day goes.

Beth, hope the swim went well and good luck with the 8.

Julia, have fun with the recovery run.

Scott, enjoy the new shoes.

Jodi, enjoy the rest.

Swift, enjoy the rest as well.

RVD, good luck tomorrow!

marco, you guys are lucky.  Our furlough letters arrived more than two weeks ago.  Bah.

I am on the iPhone so I hope I didn't miss anybody.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Bad Ass

Hi!  Hope the hiatus does not make you crazy.

Hey everyone.  I'm surviving this little running hiatus, but barely!  I did post later last night, but in case you missed it, my exciting news is that I went ahead and bought the LunaRacer 3 for my marathon shoe.  After trying on about 25 pair of shoes over the last month, it feels good to have made the choice.  Other than that, it was a rest day yesterday.  Today is a rest day as well, but I'm going to the store to do a 5 mile run in some Hokas to see if they're an option for me.  Other than that, I feel pretty good.  It's hard to take a rest day when I know I'm not injured, but since my feet feel on the verge of trouble it's better to just try and take care of this now.

Beth...Hope you have a nice swim and run session.

Julia...Glad it was a nice recovery run.

Scott...Yay for new shoes!  I've been thinking about using the KT tape on my feet again as well.  Fortunately there's no need for shaving there.

Jodi...I hope your rest leaves you feeling refreshed.

Marco...Good work on the rolling running total.  I felt the same way about counting mine when I hit a high that way too.

Swift..Sounds like a good run last night, even if a little fast.  Enjoy your rest and hope that taper magic continues to do its thing for you.

RVD...Have a good rest day preparing for tomorrow.  Good luck!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

jackdyl11

I ran an extremely slow recovery 8 this morning after doing a MP tempo run late last night - 8.7 at 6:00.  It was a slight (2-second per mile) negative split.  It felt pretty easy the whole way through.  I did two ~4.3 mile laps on a slightly-to-moderately hilly course, and I think I could have done a third without feeling pressed.  Four would have started to be hard though and I bet 5 would have been very tough.

It's been a very long time since I've trained for a marathon and I haven't had much use for marathon pace recently.  The only other time in the past few years that I've attempted a mp run was right before Christmas.  However, I sped up the last 2-3 miles because it was feeling pretty easy, so I can't really rely on that experience either.   I chose 6 min/mile because it's a big, round number that I would like to hit.  It wasn't exactly science.  So, my questions are:

How is a MP tempo run supposed to feel?

How long should I run them?

Obviously I'm going to run this by my coach too, but you guys have a lot more experience running marathons than I do so I wanted to get your opinions.

Just BS - You're gonna kill a triathlon this year! Are you as strong on the bike as you are in the pool/on the road?

Julia/Scott - I just read Nate Silver's book which has a lot of interesting* stuff on weather forecasting.  He said that the commercial weather sites (weather.com/accuweather) all get their data from weather.gov, and then modify it to try to get commercial advantage.  This ends up distorting their predictions -- when they say there's a 30% chance of rain it is probably more like 10% because they would rather err on predicting rain than sun.  However, when they predict a 70% chance of rain, it rains about 70% of the time.  Weather.gov doesn't have that problem.  However, the record of the 10-day forecast from all sources is actually a worse predictor than just taking the historical average for the day, or assuming the weather will be the same as it was yesterday.  This is in spite of weather models actually being pretty successful at predicting the weather.

*Interesting to me, not normal a normal person.

Jodi - I hear you on the sleep.  Hope your recovery runs go well.

Marco - Nice mileage! And on a treadmill, wow.

Swift - So, which group do you run with? Mind if I show up? That sounds like you were dreaming - feeling so good that you had a hard time slowing down for your running buddies, then getting free ice cream and beer at the end!

RVD - I've tried coffee before the race a couple of times, but I'm very cautious because of the, uh, consequences...

SIAR - Good luck getting through your running hiatus.  I hope the 5 mile run helps!

fake it till you make it

6 easy miles sometime later today.  I crammed in a bunch of miles between shifts the last couple days and my legs are toast.

Beth-  nice work on another double workout day!  I’m not a great cyclist, but I am looking forward to getting my bike outside too.  I see people here where I live commute to work by bike all year round- I’m way too much of a wimp! Even with a fat tire bike and the right clothes- it just looks cold!

Julia & Scott- I want to sign up for runner tracking so I can stalk track you! Wait, it costs money? Never mind, I'm a stalker on a budget. Wink

Jodi- hope you get some good sleep, good judgment taking  a rest day today.

DR damned asthma. My daughter is generally fairly well controlled but she's been struggling this week too, doesn't help that allergy season seems earlier/worse this spring than usual.

Marco that is a sweet mileage PR no matter how you count it!

Swift- sounds like a very nice run.  Did you like the ice cream?

RVD  no caffeine? I couldn’t make it through the day.

SIAR congrats on finding the right shoe for you, hope you are very happy together. Wink   My marathon pair is still in the box, think I might break them out today for some easy miles.

Jack-  I don’t have any good answers about MP running, it’s the  one part of my training I feel I haven’t nailed down.  I’m using a Hansons plan which has a TON of MP running.  If I do it indoors or on a treadmill, no problem.  Outdoors in good weather/footing is hit or miss.   Incorporated into a longer run hit or mostly miss.  MP just never feels as easy to me as I think it should, seems like it comes so easily for others here.  Bhearn's post has an interesting comparison of MP miles pfitz vs. hansons.

PressingOn

Hi all!  Haven't read so no personals.  Sorry I missed yesterday too.  Kids are home from school, we've got parent teacher conferences going on and we got the call my dh's grandma is in the hospital and probably not going to make it.  She's in her 90's so it's not exactly unexpected but still a shock.  You know how it is . Anyway, we're getting ready to travel and go see her and family.  I probably won't be checking in until after the weekend.  On a positive note, we'll be stopping by my brother's to see my new niece.

Have a good weekend everybody!

Julia1971

Jack, That is very good to know.  I've always thought the 10 day and even the 7-day is pretty worthless so it's interesting to know why...  I find marathon pace hard to run in practice but I suspect it's because I'm running higher mileage than I probably should be.  I follow Pfitz plans where MP runs are anywhere from 8-14 miles of continuous running.  But, I think some other plans have you run MP miles almost like intervals, so 2x4mi @ MP with some rest in between.  I think I could probably handle that better.  I finish the continuous MP runs feeling pretty spent but despite that feeling, I was able to hold that pace in both my non-80 degree marathons.

JenRosie, Save your money.  You know I'm going to update you all from the limo.  Smile

Pressing, Sorry to hear about your DH grandma.  It's still a loss even when it's expected.  But, it's nice that you're getting to meet your niece.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Did 5 miles in the Hokan Bondi B...they didn't feel quite right. When I got back to the store, I switched to the Stinson...I think those may hit the spot. My feet felt great in them. The store doesn't get them in for a week though, so I'll think about it more.

Jack...re the mp miles, they usually feel okay for me at the end of runs, but if it's just like a warmup and then mp they're tougher. As for how long, I typically have done more 5-10k pace running in the fundamental stage, then in the sharpening stage(last 3-4 weeks) I've done more mp running. In regards to duration, I agree with what Julia said.

Julia...says the girl with the 90 day streak indeed! I'm jealous.

Docket..hope you're breathing better.

Pressing...sorry to hear about dh's grandma and I hope she's not in too much pain.

Jen...how'd the marathon shoes feel. Impressive job squeezing the miles in. Legs are meant to hurt Smile

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jojo61397

Hey all ya Georgia Publix runners, anyone check out the forecast--

Low: 49

High: 79

0% chance of rain...

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                    Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Finally PRed!!!

jojo: What site was that from? I have not seen a high of 79. I checked a couple sites and highest high temp I saw for 3/17 was 71, some had it lower (and the low lower also). Looks like most sites have us around 60-70 for the high for next several days. Did you get your bib#? Mine is 2943.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20