Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - January 30/2013 (Read 13 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

10.81 miles for me, including 10x10sec hill sprints at the end.  Tonight will be 5 more miles with the running group.

Marco...Wow, I'm surprised you were able to get 11 in with those conditions.  Good stuff.  It looks like you have a lot of races you're contemplating...that should make for a fun season.

RVD...Nice job with the recovery run.  I had some Inov8 on the other day too.  I like the idea that they have that fascia plate, and that there's not much drop.  They weren't in my size though, so I really couldn't get a sense for them.  Also, they were the 233's, so a lot more shoe than what you're in.  That's frustrating that Mizuno changed up the universe on you.

CC...Nice work with the run and spin.  Those cadence efforts are tough.

Pressing...Core, core, core!  Gotta get you ripped girl haha.  That's great that your times are improving with your coach.  Does your DH want shoes too, or would he just want you to wait?  If it's the latter, I say don't check your email Smile  As for my shoe guy, he is good, but I'm afraid he wants me in something more minimal than I want.  And geez, why is it whenever I talk about running I'm using words like "fear" and "afraid?"  I need some of Julia's head tricks.  Your pee medals sounded pretty gross.  I wouldn't be wearing them again.  I'm contemplating donating my medal from Toledo to a program called Medals4Mettle.  I don't know if I could give my sub-3 medal up or not, but I think that would make it a more meaningful donation.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

I'm contemplating donating my medal from Toledo to a program called Medals4Mettle.  I don't know if I could give my sub-3 medal up or not, but I think that would make it a more meaningful donation.

That's what I've done with all my half and full medals.  In fact the only awards I keep are those from a 5k (called the Bulldog Dash) that I do every year.  The place awards are small paperweights in the shape of a bulldog head and are kinda cute.  I have several lined up on a bookcase.  (Don't have enough "pieces of paper".)  I might keep the medal from the Shamrock Marathon this year if it doubles as a bottle opener.

Just B.S.

Nah, me I keep my running medals, and hubby's and our boys. I'm not much of a collector of anything else besides

race medals and family photos/memorabilia.

To me they represent milestones,  hard work, dedication, family time and our travels together and with friends.

They are a big reminder of how my decision to start running as an overweight 38 yr old  (14 years  and  40lbs

ago) has changed my life and the lives of my entire family. Hubby also lost 40lbs, started running 4 years after

me and BQ'd for the first time in 2009 at age 46.

Someday I will  weed through them. I plan on framing the full marathon ones together as a unit when we are done

with  running fulls. And keep some other ones that have more special meaning but until then we will collect

and treasure  them. They don't take up much room.Smile

jojo61397

Well, I had to draw back to around 5 miles.  I tried to run outside, but got caught in a really strong storm, and my neighbor came and got me-- LOL.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
          Sub- 1:45 hour half.

PressingOn

Well, no new trail shoes.  It's all good though.  When I went to the LRS, the owner was working.  He asked what trail I was going to be running and when I told him he said he runs that one all the time and trail shoes aren't necessary.  So, no new shoes.  My dh is thrilled because now we don't have to pay for another new pair of shoes.  Guess I'll wait until I need to retire another pair of my current shoes.  Actually, I prefer to stick with shoes I know work for me and won't cause injury.  I was a little nervous about running the marathon in something different when my current work so well.

As for medals, I keep mine too.  Kind of the same reasoning as Beth.  Plus, I look forward to showing my great grandkids all my medals.  Smile  Yes, even the pee soaked medals.  Believe me, I scrubbed and scrubbed them and soaked them in the anti cat smell stuff.  And who wears 'em again anyway?  They're hanging on my wall.

Just B.S.

As for medals, I keep mine too.  Kind of the same reasoning as Beth.  Plus, I look forward to showing my great grandkids all my medals.  Smile  Yes, even the pee soaked medals.  Believe me, I scrubbed and scrubbed them and soaked them in the anti cat smell stuff.  And who wears 'em again anyway?  They're hanging on my wall.

Me too, re the Grandkids or our friends in the nursing home, just for proof!LOL

2012 medals from 15 races each  aren't included in those, they are still on the dresser in our bedroom

until the new crop starts for 2013.

I read about the pee..........sorry but it's funny! only because it didn't happen to me!LOL

Have you tried vinegar?

Brains aint me forte

Hey friends.  Just popping back in to say hello and report that my little 5 miler was fun.  My legs were feeling really good so I opened it up a little and averaged about 15 seconds under MP. woot.

I don't have time for personals but I want to wish Pressing luck with the 22 tomorrow. Have fun!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Bad Ass

The allergy shot reaction left me so tired I napped during the afternoon.  I did kickboxing but it was hard.  It was a stronger reaction than I expected but at least it was not THAT bad.

Hope everybody had a nice day.  I'm off to finish dinner.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone! I have read but not had time to post yet. Got in about 8.6 in a downpour, and now am having trouble getting the computer to find the Garmin to upload my data. Going thru the steps on the Garmin site with software etc. Will post after if I have time!

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

Julia1971

I went with the medium run.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to spend 2 hours in warmth.  The pace was fast but I've been letting myself run a little faster than I think I should.

My Garmin's been acting wonky lately.  It better correct itself soon or I'm going to have to figure out if I'm going to trust it on the Big Day.

I was disappointed to learn I have to wait until March for the new Blackberry.  Grrr!  I've been waiting so long already.  I'm too loyal.  The initial reviews seem favorable, although, from one I read the camera doesn't seem as good as the iPhone.

Scott, My legs felt great today, too.  Maybe it was the warmer temps?  Or, not wearing tights in my case.

Just B.S., Nice medal collection you have there.  Congratulations on making such a positive change in your life...  Tri training seem hard.  Lots of things to juggle...  Glad to hear these temps are unusual.  I like, "you don't have to shovel cold".  Very "glass half full".

Pressing, I read your story and thought about the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode - "No trail shoes for you!"

JoJo, That's a good neighbor.  Sorry your run got cut short.

SIAR, Still enjoying those hill sprints, I see.  Hope you had a good run with the group...  I'm picturing a deer hopping and am thinking your form is probably funny.  Joking   Maybe Nuun should come out with coffee flavor.

CC, That's a lot of miles on the track.  Nice job!

RVD, I'm a big fan of lock laces.  So easy to adjust the fit of the shoe with them.

Marco, Good job getting the miles in with sloppy conditions.

D_R, Hope the shot is working for you.

Swift, I just wanted to +1 what Just B.S. wrote about changing something up.  As counter-intuitive as it seems, sometimes training less and/or slower can lead to breakthroughs.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
                      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Brains aint me forte

Scott, My legs felt great today, too.  Maybe it was the warmer temps?  Or, not wearing tights in my case.

I'm not exactly a "tights" kind of guy. I wear soccer warm-ups instead. I'm afraid if I run in tights I'll have every lady in the neighborhood chasing after me. I don't really have time for that being a married man and all. Wink

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

I'm not exactly a "tights" kind of guy. I wear soccer warm-ups instead. I'm afraid if I run in tights I'll have every lady in the neighborhood chasing after me. I don't really have time for that being a married man and all. Wink

You know that's right.  Wink  Yeah, I don't know why but I guessed you might not be a tights guy.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You know that's right.  Wink  Yeah, I don't know why but I guessed you might not be a tights guy.

Tights guy here. Would you have guessed that? Ha

4.8 done with the group. I shoe tested the new Verrata on the run. I didn't like it because it had big lugs on the bottom that hurt my foot. Fun shoe at 6.9 oz though.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

Tights guy here. Would you have guessed that? Ha

4.8 done with the group. I shoe tested the new Verrata on the run. I didn't like it because it had big lugs on the bottom that hurt my foot. Fun shoe at 6.9 oz though.

Scott lives in Fredneck and has daughters.  I guessed he would choose being cold over 24/7 teasing...  I don't know much about your town but I've never seen a deer in tights.  So, I wouldn't have pegged you as a tights guy either.  Good luck out running the ladies in the neighborhood.  Wink

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scott lives in Fredneck and has daughters.  I guessed he would choose being cold over 24/7 teasing...  I don't know much about your town but I've never seen a deer in tights.  So, I wouldn't have pegged you as a tights guy either.  Good luck out running the ladies in the neighborhood.  Wink

Deer are a lot more fashion forward these days. I never should have given you that image, should I? To be fair, I never thought I'd wear tights, but they're pure goodness.