Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 3/23/13 An Ultra Good Saturday (Read 12 times)

Julia1971

March:

Joe1775 - 3/23 - Haulin' in the Holler 50K

Docket_Rocket - 3/23 - Palm 100 50K

CompetitiveChik - 3/23-24 - Texas Independence Day Relay

JenRosie - 3/24 Irish Run 8K

onemile - 3/30 - Egg Shell Shuffle Half Marathon

PressingOn - 3/30 - Cupcake Run 5K

April:

runnrchic- 04/07- Gulf Coast HM, Pensacola

Julia1971 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

Jackdyl11 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

joe1775 - 4/13  - Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50

Docket_Rocket - 04/14 - Key Biscayne Half Marathon

So_Im_a_Runner - 4/14 Union Half Marathon (1:30 pacer)

marco59 - 4/15 - Boston - goal: 3:05

markrice - 4/15 Boston - goal sub 3:15

GregTR - 4/15 - Boston

JenRosie - 4/15 - Boston

onemile - 04/20 - Carmel Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 4/20 - DTF Endurance Race 50K

Xrayman: 4/21: Lansing Marathon

GregTR - 4/21 - London Marathon

SIAR - 4/28 - Glass City Marathon

GoneFishing - 04/28 - Big Sur, CA

Julia1971 - 4/28 - Nike Women's Half Marathon

May:

hilltopper91 - 05/05 - Broad Street Run

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

PressingOn - 5/5 - Tacoma City Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19-Run for the Red Marathon

runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 06/16/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4- Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

August:

Patti678- 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Julia1971

Good luck, D_R!  Hope you have an ultra good race today.  Smile

I'm hoping to get out for a short run today.  It's still a bit cold out so I'm going to wait until it hits the 40s.  I'm planning to do some weight lifting this spring/summer and will need to find a new gym, so I'll probably do some research on that before heading out. 

Other than that, more errands today.  I have to get my car safety and emissions inspected, which means waiting in a long line at some point.  Sad  I might go visit my brother but I'm kinda dreading the drive.  It's about an hour and 30-45 minutes each way.  I feel like I should visit more often because it's not that far but it's far enough to feel like a "trip" to me.  Maybe it's just because I don't drive much.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday!

JenRosie, Thanks for checking in.  I was log stalking you so I knew you were okay, running-wise.  Wink  I wouldn't worry about the cutback.  I would think it'll make the 8K a great marathon pace predictor since you'll be slightly more rested.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Finally PRed!!!

Julia: Good luck getting your run in and the otter things you have planned.

JenRosie: Have a great race tomorrow, awesome how a faster pace feels easier after a cutback. You will do great!

Not sure about the group run this morning. We are having occasional thunder and lightning here. I haven't got a message yet, just waiting to see if it stops. Guess I will look at the map and see if it looks like it will move through in time to go. I lost another pound, yay! Smile

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Bad Ass

Morning!  I DNS'd.  Not because of me and my asthma but because Trixie is again ill and I had to take her to the vet.  Hope Joe is rocking his 50K.  I'm searching for an April ultra.

Julia, enjoy your short run.  BTW, can you take the Paris marathon off?  DH started working and won't be able to take time off.

swift, enjoy the group run if you go.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

D_R, I'm so sorry Trixie is still sick.  Ugh, I hope the vets can help her.

Swift, I hope the weather holds off so you can have the run.  Congrats on the pound!

Finally PRed!!!

Docket: I'm sorry Trixie is still ill. Hope she is better soon.

I got in a little over 7  total. The lightning seemed to have stopped, so I ran to the coffee shop where the group meets to see if anyone was there. Only a couple of the organizers were there. We waited to see if anyone showed up, and nobody else did. One of the women runs at at around my easy pace (the other one who was there wanted to run faster), so I ran one lap of the park with her and then just ran back. We did see a little more lightning, but it didn't seem to be that close. It was just rainy and not that warm, so at least the idea of having a group run helped me to get my run in. Plus I had a nice chat while I ran with the one other person. We skipped the brunch after--just as well, since I have to figure out what to get at that restaurant that fits with my new eating plan. Ate some healthier stuff here and now I'm having a little more coffee.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey all. I ran 20.39 today with the running group. At one point there were 12 of us running, even though only 4 of did the whole distance. Doing them in the Hokas, I hardly feel like I ran at all. I do have 22 miles to run tomorrow still. Those will be a lot tougher as I'm on my own and it's a progression run.

Busy day for me and I'm doing the Passion reading at church tonight so I have to practice up. I hope you all have a good one. Sorry about the DNS Docket.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jojo61397

Morning everyone.  We had a busy morning this morning-- first daughter played soccer, now heading to a birthday party, and if the weather holds up we have adapted baseball for my son this evening.  Hoping to get 6 miles in, if not, I'll probably run 6-8 tomorrow instead.  I'm done training for anything for a few months, so I have some time on my hands to do other things.  Goal for this summer is 30-40 miles per week.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                  Sub- 1:45 hour half.

jojo61397

Julia-- I know the feeling, it's spring break, and there's too much going on this week to make it fun Sad.

NTS-- about the same here, weather sucks

Docket-- Sorry about Trixie

SIAR-- that's a lot of miles!

I ended up doing 6 on the treadmill.  DD had soccer this morning, but the baseball game was called due to severe thunderstorms.  I'm feeling rather blech.  The yucks are going around our house-- not anything serious, just a sore throat, tiredness, and a little congestion.  Hope it passes shortly.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                    Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Hey all,

Now that I have a day off from work, it's still hectic with running, packing, taking the dogs to the kennel,cleaning house, paying bills, etc.  Did my last LR before Boston of 19.6 at an 8:30 pace.  I am happy with that as I had to walk a couple of minutes to answer the phone.  Hoping to do about 40 mpw the next couple of weeks as I usually do a three week taper.  I need 47 miles to finish the month with a mileage PR.

Damaris--So sorry to hear about Trixie and having to cancel a couple of races.

Jodi--hope you feel better and glad you got the 6 done

SIAR--that is a lot of miles for the weekend

nts--good work on the 7...wish there was a running group around here

Julia--thanks for the start.  Hope you got the run in.  We almost got to 40 degrees here.

Bad Ass

Trixie will be getting an ultrasound at 7pm.  I'm going to run to the vet to see her and back.  She was stable last time I called.

Thanks, guys.  The race is nothing compared to my babies.

Julia, which brings me to: can you add me to the DTF Endurance Race 50K for April 20? Big grin

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Mostly Harmless

Only have a second.  Spent the day at a soccer tournament but managed to get 3 miles in between games.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

jackdyl11

Hello! I got in a good 18 with the last 12 at marathon pace.  I was a little more restrained this time - only 2 seconds faster than GMP this time, still feeling good at the end.  It was a great day to run, but I did 3x3 miles out and back, and it was into the wind and slightly up hill for the 3 out which made my splits lopsided.  However, I negative split the MP section by 8 seconds (36:21, 36:13), so I'm happy with the consistency.

DR - I hope your Trixie is ok! Let us know how it goes.

Julia - I hope you had a nice recovery run.  I think the weather is going to start coorperating.

NTS - It sounds like you found a way to have a nice run.  Your Noakes article was interesting.  He's definitely right that your brain plays a role in limiting exercise intensity, but I feel like he's found a new theory and he tries to apply it everywhere to the exclusion of any other ideas.  Also, he doesn't think that VO2 max is a good predictor of performance and I know he quoted some studies (which I didn't read but I should), but I want to see the Olympic champion with a VO2 max less than 30.  Maybe I'm reading too much into that comment but it's always bothered me.  It's not like I understood most of the article in the first place.  Anyway, I hadn't seen his theory laid out like that before, and most of what he said seemed right, so thanks for posting!

SIAR - Wow that's a lot of running.  Good luck on your progression run tomorrow.

Jojo - Good job on the 6.  Hope your family feels better soon.

Marco - So you're all done training for Boston? That must feel good!

Finally PRed!!!

jack: Great job with your 18 with 12 @ MP, nice work with the pacing! Glad you enjoyed reading the article. I see your point about him seeming to want to apply his theory to the exclusion of others--I guess that seems true to a certain extent of a lot of people who come up with an idea, just as it's what he sort of pointed out as the problem with Hill and VO2max. I also get your point about the unlikelihood of an Olympic champion with VO2max<30.

This blog post by Steve Magness is also critical of the emphasis on VO2max and it talks about some studies as a basis for that position: http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2009/12/fallacy-of-vo2max-and-vo2max.html. I don't follow enough of this stuff either to know who is right in all of this, and I also have not read all the studies, but for some reason I like to read about it...

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: Great job with your 20, and I hope you have a great 22 tomorrow--that's a huge weekend.

jojo: Nice TM 6, hope you feel better soon. I have a little congestion, too.

marco: Great LR, hope you have a nice vacation, and a good taper.

Docket: Keep us updated about Trixie. Hope she's better soon.

Scott: Great job getting in a quick 3 at the soccer tourney.