Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 1/16/13 (Read 208 times)

Just B.S.

Beth - Those are great pages!  Thanks for the ideas.  I was hoping for a few pre-made items because I am SOOO behind and wanted to have a few easy pages.  Lol.  And honestly, I love the stickers that look like tiny miniatures of things.  They take me back to my dollhouse and miniatures days. Anyway, I will be mostly doing my own I'm afraid.  Maybe if I'm brave I'll post a few photo's for you when I get back.  Smile

JenRosie -  Um, no.   Ha ha!

Karen Foster Designs used to make some sticker sheets. If you can't find any to

purchase I'm sure I have some with a few stickers missing and would be happy

to put them in the mail for you!

Julia1971

So Julia’s comments about mantras has me thinking today.  I’m feeling much more mentally psyched out (terrified!) this training cycle even though the running itself is fine.  I think I so badly want to PR and had such a slow and painful last marathon (undertrained- was ready to be slow but not to hurt so much) that I’m making myself unnecessarily nervous.  Anyone have any good psyching-up recommendations? I’m not a motivational quote/photo kind of gal but I need something a little more that my usual mantra of “harden the f* up!”  I read Scott Jurek's book and he goes on and on about embracing/being one with the pain and I just want to train well enough to avoid as much pain as possible!

I survived one year as a college athlete and our team had a sports psychologist.  Every once in a while, I'll remember some nugget from the talks he would give us.  And, one of the things he taught us to do is not to say you're "nervous".  Tell yourself, you're "excited".  And, then convince yourself of it.  Aren't you excited about the prospect of running another marathon and NOT hurting this time because you trained so well?  Stuff like that.  I use that trick a lot...  I liked Scott Jurek's book.  Have you read Dara Torres' book?  It's not running related but I found it very motivational.  Probably because I'm over 40.  Still, there's some general nuggets about working hard in there...  Up until this last marathon cycle, I also rewarded myself weekly for reaching certain training goals.  How else did you think I got so much running gear?  Smile  The rewards were always related to running and I would try to make them proportional so I wouldn't go broke.  And, I wasn't allowed to buy anything but shoes unless I earned it.  So, for example, one week, my goal might be hitting my goal pace for a 20 miler and the reward might just be a new pair of running socks or a new visor.  But, another week, getting a PR in a goal race might be a new running jacket or buying the official race photos for my goal race.  I would be so mad at myself when I didn't win something I really, REALLY wanted.  So, then, I started incorporating one week where I could claim something I previously did not win.  Wink  Good luck finding something that works for you.  If nothing else, just keep in mind for us hobbyjoggers, it's mostly supposed to be fun.

Run the mile you are in.

Julia1971

My good buddy, Channel 7 weatherman Doug Hill says us Frednecks aren't getting much if anything.  You city slickers will get the most of it, I reckon.

What?!  This storm caught me by surprised and I just assumed it was the usual front moving in from the mid-west.  Rats!  I forgot to go to the supermarket.  I only have one roll of toilet paper and a pint of milk!!!

Run the mile you are in.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, we got busy in here!  I did 5 more with the group today...more easy miles, but fun to share the run with other folks.

Julia...Those are some neat insights from your psychologist.  One of my favorite sayings came from a basketball camp I used to go to as a kid, called Yes I Can.  The phrase was, "Act as if..."  It's basically the same as fake it until you make it, but I do tell myself to "act as if" not just in running situations, but other situations where I may feel nervous or under-prepared.  Sorry you're not getting to see the tennis.  Cable is ridiculously expensive, and if it weren't for having to miss out on sports I would definitely consider switching over to something like Hulu.  Oh, thanks for the laugh regarding your storm preparations too ha.

Pressing...Sorry you haven't found the scrapbooking stuff you like.  I was bummed around Christmas because the local store went out of business and it meant I couldn't get some of the destination ones for my mom that I wanted to buy.  I like your theory that today's runs were quality - I'll go for that too.

Jack...Nothing worse than uncooperative weather!  What's your normal mileage threshold?  On your log it looks like all your miles are pretty fast...do you do your easy miles around 7:15/7:30?

Beth...I can see why you got published for your pages.  Those are very cool, and hardly even girly!  And you definitely don't seem like a lack of effort kind of gal...I'm sure you'll improve plenty.  Double swimming sounds way more intense than double running for some odd reason.

Docket...How often do you get your shot?  I just ask because it seems like you just had one.

Scott...Looks like this snow all skirted below OH...I'm actually a little bummed.  Nice job getting the work done on the TM...glad you're feeling deservedly tired.

Jen...Sometimes I get a little psyched out when I start looking ahead in my plan too.  I feel like if I can just focus on the individual workouts, I'll eventually lay the foundation needed for my goal.  Sorry your last marathon was so rough!  Can you split up your training some by running an indicator race or two(10k or half)?  Maybe that would give you a good chance to see how your training is really coming without being too taxing physically.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jackdyl11

I didn't get to say hello to everybody before...

Jen - My favorite psyche up video, if that is what you're looking for, is The First Gold about Joan Benoit.  It's kinda corny though.

Docket - Hope you had a good time at the show!

Scott - Glad the speedwork went well.  Sometimes a TM is harder because you have to mentally make yourself stay on as well as hit the pace.  You can tell I'd rather be outside.  Also, re: Reston Marathon, yes, I do live in Reston.  I think this is the first year they are running the marathon, so there isn't a whole lot to go on other than the course.  We ran some of it on Sunday.  It was pretty hilly, but not more than I'm sure you've run during training.  A significant part is on the trails that I run on just about every day.  I don't think anyone would have a problem running on them for a training run, but there are some short, steep hills that might not be fun during a marathon.  It would be a very different race than Shamrock, which is almost perfectly flat, and much larger.

NTS - Good job on the 4, and I hope the group run went well tonight too.

RVD - I guess there's only one way to mess up a rest day, and you found it, so good job Smile.  I'd have done the same thing.

Julia - You've been getting some good mileage in too, it does sound like you're in good shape.  I don't have a mantra, but I think to myself something like 'keep your head in it.'  I check out of races sometimes and I think I can push harder if I just keep the conscious part of my brain on top of that winy subconscious quitter part.

Just BS - Looks like a great place to run! More hills = better, even if it sucks at the time.  I need to find a new route that's a little tougher on me.

Pressing - Very glad everyone's healthy again.

SIAR - Good job on the mileage! I've gotten pretty good at running after dinner.  Today was salmon, broccoli, and a baked potato, so shouldn't be too bad.  The tough nights are the bbq chicken or the spicy stir fry.  That makes things more difficult.

Marco - You're insane. Not even going to respond to -5.

Off for my 10 in a minute!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR - Good job on the mileage! I've gotten pretty good at running after dinner.  Today was salmon, broccoli, and a baked potato, so shouldn't be too bad.  The tough nights are the bbq chicken or the spicy stir fry.  That makes things more difficult.

Taco Bell is a real bear too Smile  Nice healthy dinner for you tonight!  Mine wasn't so good, especially after I ate fudge with cool whip for desert.  But, after 17 miles, who cares haha.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jackdyl11

SIAR - saw your post.  I'm actually getting a little worried about my easy pace.  Last year on good weather days around this time it was 6:45 - 6:50.  I started thinking of anything over 6:50 as slow.  Now I'm happy when I'm under 7, which hasn't been happening recently.  I usually just run at whatever pace makes me comfortable, not really paying attention to heart rate or pace until afterwards.  I have noticed that my heart rate is much lower than it used to be, though, so maybe I'm taking it easy but am still in good shape.  I had a string of really good workouts before I got sick over Christmas, so I'm clinging to that to prove I'm still fine.  That was only a few weeks ago, it can't disappear that quickly!!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR - saw your post.  I'm actually getting a little worried about my easy pace.  Last year on good weather days around this time it was 6:45 - 6:50.  I started thinking of anything over 6:50 as slow.  Now I'm happy when I'm under 7, which hasn't been happening recently.  I usually just run at whatever pace makes me comfortable, not really paying attention to heart rate or pace until afterwards.  I have noticed that my heart rate is much lower than it used to be, though, so maybe I'm taking it easy but am still in good shape.  I had a string of really good workouts before I got sick over Christmas, so I'm clinging to that to prove I'm still fine.  That was only a few weeks ago, it can't disappear that quickly!!

Yeah, the fitness wouldn't disappear on you I'm sure.  Have you pulled up your paces on the McMillan calculator?  Your 16:02 5k puts your easy run pace at 6:15-7:09, so you're within that range even though you're on the back half of it.  The recovery pace for you using that would be 7:14-8:00, but it doesn't sound like you do a lot of recovery runs.

I agree with going by effort and checking your pace and HR afterwards.  I can't say whether I know definitively or not, but I think the most important part of training is to be able to give a full effort on quality days.  With that in mind, I'm conservative with my easy runs knowing I need that to stay healthy.  It may hold me back some in the long run, but better to run a little slower than to be injured given my injury history.

This issue is really why I'd love to be coached though - to help know when it's okay to run hard on an easy day and when to back off.

jackdyl11

Hmm, I hadn't looked at that in a while. I usually take mcmillan with a grain of salt, because those seem like paces I'd hit if I were fresh rather than in the middle of training.  Do you actually hit the easy pace?  6:45 sounds pretty damn hard for an easy run for me right now, but maybe its the fatigue.

I got my heart rates tested a few years ago to help determine my paces.  It pegged my z2 heart rate at 160-172, and z4 at 183-188 (max was 203).  A lot of my runs recently have been in the high 150's.  I thought that was probably correct since I'm older now and my zones have most likely shifted down.  I actually do have a coach, but I use him more as an adviser than someone who sets training plans.  His take was that a zone would most likely decrease with age, on average, but would also expand and change shape with training.  This was in reference to LT, though, rather than easy paces.  For my next two up weeks I'll try keeping myself in at least the low 160's and see where the pace comes out.

RVD  I see you are doing Wobegon this year. That’s my PR course from last year. Lots of people from my running group go and I’m a little bummed I’m not going this year. Tiny race but fabulously well done.

JenRosie: My PR is also in Lake Wobegon.  I've done it twice but had to miss it last year due to a strained calf muscle.  I'd like to PR again this year.  Too bad you can't make it.  Yeah, it is very well organized.  They think it is odd that I travel all the way from Atlanta to run their small local race.