Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 1/5/13 (Read 161 times)

Bad Ass

Great runs, everybody!  Just woke up from a 30 minute nap.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

Here's my race report for today's 10 miler.  I'll get to personals next...

Pre-Race

I went to bed at a pretty decent hour - 10:30 - but woke up at 3:30am.  I planned to carpool to the race with a friend.  I figured I needed to leave the house by 6:20 to get to her house between 6:45/7:00.  I finally get up at 5:30 since it takes me a good hour to wake up and I hadn't packed my race bag the night before.  In between my coffee and bagel, I pack my race bag for not only stuff I'll want at the race but for after since I'm meeting another friend cross town for lunch.  I also rush to paint my nails which is my "game face" ritual.  Smile  I fret about what to wear since it's about 35 degrees out.  Do I need a jacket?  Just a vest?  At about 6am, I look at my Outlook calendar and realize...  The race isn't until 9:00.  I don't have to be at my friend's until 7:45/8:00.  (Sigh).  An hour later, I'm out the door.

I get to her house with no problems and she's ready to go.  We get to the race site with plenty of time to register, so we sit in the warm car and catch up.  We get to the start.  I have a history of not starting close enough to the start, but I place myself behind about a half dozen woman and lots of guys.  I did this race a few years ago and remembered it as rolling hills.  Given my high mileage marathon training, I didn't think I would be PRing today (1:08:40 or 6:52 pace on a fairly flat course).  A few remarks from the RD, we're off!

Race

The first mile or two are okay (Mile 1=7:17 and Mile 2=7:05).  I bolt by a few people early but for the most part, people were honest at the starting line.  I can't feel my feet due to the cold but I know that'll change.  I feel good with my choice of a vest instead of a jacket.  I over hear two women behind me talking about how many women were ahead of them and devising a strategy for picking them off.  Were they trying to get in my head?  I speed up (Mile 3=6:56).

I can hear someone coming up from behind and from the pony-tailed shadow, can tell it's a woman.  She pulls along side but doesn't pass.  I try to match her pace and hold for a while.  She passes and I run in her foot steps for a good while but realize I can't keep up.  I let her go.  (Mile 4=7:08).

The course is an out and back.  I realize we've mostly been going downhill so far and that I'm going to have to come back up these hills on the way back.  I try to hold myself back a little.  The guys I passed early on pass me back.  As we approach the turn around, I start counting women...  1...  2...  3...  I'm not sure...  4...  I think I'm 5th!  But, there's a wide margin between me and the next woman.  (Mile 5=7:03).

We head for home and I get to see how far back the next woman is.  As long as I don't completely choke, she's going to have to work to catch me.  I see my friend - she looks great!  Pretty quickly, I notice something I hadn't noticed before, we were running with a tail wind and now, we're running into the wind uphill.  (Sigh).  I tell myself, I need to catch up to the next pack to give myself people to run with or pick off but there's a big gap between me and the next guy.  I check my form and hunker down to catch the next runner - a guy in a bright orange vest.  (Mile 6=7:07).  On the way back, in addition to encouragement, runners also tell me my placement.  I hear a "5th woman".  Okay.  Cool.  And then a few minutes later, "6th woman".  Rats!  (Mile 7=7:21)

Despite my best efforts, I am not catching the guy ahead of me.  I'm getting close but just can't seem to reel him in.  And, I don't even see the woman ahead of me.  I'm fighting wind, my legs are tired...  I just want this race to be over.  I've done several head checks and I'm not being caught.  So, now, I'm really just running for pride.  (Mile 8=7:28).  I start thinking, "15 more minutes of running.  You can run for 15 minutes".  The gap between me and the guy widens.  (Mile 9=7:30).

One mile to go!  "Come on!  You can run a mile!"  But, I'm not really running.  It's more like I'm throwing myself towards the finish line.  There's no thinking about form, there's just putting one foot in front of the other.  But, hmm, the gap between me and bright orange vest guy is closing.  With a half mile to go, I'm finally catching this guy!  Would it be rude to try to pass him after 4 or 5 miles of trailing?  Who am I kidding?  I don't have any gas left to pass anyone.  My eyes catch the clock and if I give a little more, I can get under 1:12:00.  I stride it out and my Garmin reads 1:11:54.  (Mile 10=7:14).

Post-Race

I'm just so glad to be done.  I want to puke but thankfully don't.  I congratulate bright orange vest guy.  I walk back on the race course to cheer on other runners and see my friend.  I bolt to the car to get warm clothes for the awards ceremony.  It doesn't take them long to announce the winners.  I knew I was out for a top 3 but thought, maybe master's?  But, no.  Final result: 6th woman overall, 3rd woman master.  (Edited to add: this was a club race, so although the competition was fierce, it wasn't particularly deep).

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Bad Ass

Great race, Julia!  You're fast, girl!  And although you had a headwind uphill during the last half, I think the paces were awesome considering!

Blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Okay, ended up barking my way through 6 miles on the TM. I just couldnt take another day without running. Even though they were a little rubbery, my legs did feel nice and fresh from the time off.

Swift...not sure if 30 is good or bad? We've had much colder lately. I hope the group run was a good one.

Scott...you must have really been feeling it if you thought of me on your run! Thank you though, I appreciate it. I get frustrated with my iPod as well. Sometimes I wonder who the idiot was that picked at least half the songs on there. Nice job with the solo 20. It's good to know you can get through those runs without a little help from your friends.

CC...hope you got the miles squeezed in. I'm going to pace a friend at 2 100 milers this year, so I'll probably end up with almost two 50 milers myself.

. Marco...good for you getting the decorations down. I won't touch the outside until I get a warm day. I bet it felt good to pick the pace up.

Beth...great job getting the swim in. I'm looking forward to getting healthy and getting back in the water too. I sure hope I don't have another week like your boy did, but I bet I do. This is the longest I've been awake in a week! Your run sounded like steeplechase training.

. Jack...not sure I got a chance to welcome you the other day, so welcome! I'm looking forward to learning from your training as I'd love to work my times closer to yours. Right now my big goal is sub 3 for my next marathon. I hope the 10 went well for you today.

Docket...glad you had a great run, despite the heat. You'll get your good marathon day, eventually.

Pressing...I have struggled with my health! I'm wondering if I just need to add 10lbs of fat ha. I don't think that'd make me very happy. It seems like you're doing pretty well with the core type stuff - I'm impressed. If you could wiggle your nose, I think your to-do list should be a little more impressive Smile

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...congrats on your race! Not puking and almost catching bright orange vest guy do sound like real highlights! The course really didn't seem like a PR one, and then with that head wind, running what you did seems awesome. I'm always for the vest as the better choice for fast running, especially if it is a race. If only there were a vest to keep your toes toasty too ha. Great work!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

Swift, Happy Saturday!  Hope the group run went well.

Scott, Congrats on your first solo 20 miler.  Hope you apologized to your iPod after the run.

CC, Hope the boss lets you go.

Marco, Taxes?  You're good.  Ugh, I hadn't even started thinking about taxes.

Just B.S., Enjoy the swimming.  Just thinking about it sounds relaxing.  Although, for me, swimming is a chore so I'm not sure why I have that reaction.  LOL!

SIAR, I hope you feel better soon.  Whatever is going around is really bad.  We've had a lot of people out at the office.

Jack, That is a very late run.  So, you do most of your runs in the evening then?

D_R, Did the swelling go down in your arm?  I can't believe you're dealing with those conditions in winter.

Pressing, I smiled at the Bewitched reference.  I loved that show growing up.

Julia1971

Great race, Julia!  You're fast, girl!  And although you had a headwind uphill during the last half, I think the paces were awesome considering!

Thanks!  Yeah, the pacing wasn't bad.  I didn't get caught after the turn around, so I think that's a good indication that I really didn't "fade" all that much.

Bad Ass

I'm glad you're back here!

Yeah, eventually.  It seems that my stress is always getting the best of me on race day.  My asthma seems to be worse when I shoot for a PR.  This year is all about multiple marathons, so who knows?  Maybe the stress will go away.  I ran today faster than at Berlin and during Berlin I had to use the inhaler 3 times already by the 11th mile and today it felt too easy even without medication.  I never understand my body, bah!

My plan for Disney on Saturday is to run it with a fellow forumite and have fun.  For Sunday, to run strong.  Be that a PR or not, I'll just run by effort and see what happens.

Okay, ended up barking my way through 6 miles on the TM. I just couldnt take another day without running. Even though they were a little rubbery, my legs did feel nice and fresh from the time off.

Swift...not sure if 30 is good or bad? We've had much colder lately. I hope the group run was a good one.

Scott...you must have really been feeling it if you thought of me on your run! Thank you though, I appreciate it. I get frustrated with my iPod as well. Sometimes I wonder who the idiot was that picked at least half the songs on there. Nice job with the solo 20. It's good to know you can get through those runs without a little help from your friends.

CC...hope you got the miles squeezed in. I'm going to pace a friend at 2 100 milers this year, so I'll probably end up with almost two 50 milers myself.

. Marco...good for you getting the decorations down. I won't touch the outside until I get a warm day. I bet it felt good to pick the pace up.

Beth...great job getting the swim in. I'm looking forward to getting healthy and getting back in the water too. I sure hope I don't have another week like your boy did, but I bet I do. This is the longest I've been awake in a week! Your run sounded like steeplechase training.

. Jack...not sure I got a chance to welcome you the other day, so welcome! I'm looking forward to learning from your training as I'd love to work my times closer to yours. Right now my big goal is sub 3 for my next marathon. I hope the 10 went well for you today.

Docket...glad you had a great run, despite the heat. You'll get your good marathon day, eventually.

Pressing...I have struggled with my health! I'm wondering if I just need to add 10lbs of fat ha. I don't think that'd make me very happy. It seems like you're doing pretty well with the core type stuff - I'm impressed. If you could wiggle your nose, I think your to-do list should be a little more impressive Smile

Blog

Julia1971

Julia...congrats on your race! Not puking and almost catching bright orange vest guy do sound like real highlights! The course really didn't seem like a PR one, and then with that head wind, running what you did seems awesome. I'm always for the vest as the better choice for fast running, especially if it is a race. If only there were a vest to keep your toes toasty too ha. Great work!

Thanks!  The frozen feet were kinda painful but luckily it was only 2 miles of it...  I might have to invest in some vests.  I've given up on the Sugoi jacket - I've visited 2 more stores this week and they don't have it either.  Maybe it's a sign I was meant to be a vest person.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Thanks!  The frozen feet were kinda painful but luckily it was only 2 miles of it...  I might have to invest in some vests.  I've given up on the Sugoi jacket - I've visited 2 more stores this week and they don't have it either.  Maybe it's a sign I was meant to be a vest person.

bummer about the jacket. I have a Mizuno vest that I swear by. It works great for golf (or even tennis) too. It's black though as I prefer to be sleek, fast black vest guy and not construction worker vest guy. Your PRs cracked me up.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm glad you're back here!

Yeah, eventually.  It seems that my stress is always getting the best of me on race day.  My asthma seems to be worse when I shoot for a PR.  This year is all about multiple marathons, so who knows?  Maybe the stress will go away.  I ran today faster than at Berlin and during Berlin I had to use the inhaler 3 times already by the 11th mile and today it felt too easy even without medication.  I never understand my body, bah!

My plan for Disney on Saturday is to run it with a fellow forumite and have fun.  For Sunday, to run strong.  Be that a PR or not, I'll just run by effort and see what happens.

I'm really surprised that you get stressed considering how much you race. Then again, from what I know of your personality (and blood lines), maybe I get it. Maybe running for fun will actually help.

Bad Ass

I don't get stressed out at all, but what other reason do I have for having great training asthma free yet racing asthma full?

I'm really surprised that you get stressed considering how much you race. Then again, from what I know of your personality (and blood lines), maybe I get it. Maybe running for fun will actually help.

Blog

Julia1971

bummer about the jacket. I have a Mizuno vest that I swear by. It works great for golf (or even tennis) too. It's black though as I prefer to be sleek, fast black vest guy and not construction worker vest guy. Your PRs cracked me up.

Oh!  I have a 2013 10 miler PR so I have to change that.  It's going down at Cherry Blossom, though! ...  Yeah, I can see myself in vests.  Is it a current model vest or something you've had for a while?  I think in my neighborhood, I'm just "crazy running lady".  I've literally had strangers approach me and comment on my running.

Julia--congratulations on running a great race!  I ran a 10-miler once back in 1994.  I still have the t-shirt and my time was 1:29 something.  This was back in the day when I thought 7 or 10 miles was a LR.  I have to start on gathering receipts because we have a lot of medical deductions for prescriptions, trips out of town, and other expenses.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...it's the Mizuno Gila vest. I think I got it at road runner sports, but their site says it's out of stock currently. That's why I leave my neighborhood to run...would prefer strangers' comments I'll never hear. Cherry Blossom will be awesome.