Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 2/14/13 Love is in the Air (Read 14 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Pressing..ahh, saw my typo of you're instead of your in my response to you! Shoot me now lol. I'm glad you found a good way to rationalize a purpose for your traffic mishapSmile Work gloves that are comfy sound like something that would be much appreciated.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

fake it till you make it

QOTD the huz and I don't really get into celebrating this holiday other than sneaking into the kids' candy while they are asleep and pilfering out the things we want. Big grin

Julia hope you can get some rest soon, yay for taper coming up.

JustBS swim clinic for date night sounds like a great date night! I rarely get to run with my huz but love when we do.

RVD sure you can use valentines day as an excuse to eat candy even if you are single.  I use every day as an excuse to eat candy even though its not Valentine’s Day!

INS surprise roses, very nice!

CC glad to hear you are recovering and back out there.

Marco what kind of food at the favorite restaurant? Hope you get the double in today.

Jack I totally get the dinner out with kids.  It always sounds like a good idea to me until we are actually waiting for food, someone spills their pop, two are fighting over crayons, the youngest starts climbing under the yucky table/booth, and kids are done with their food before I get a chance to start eating mine.  I love my kids, but we do a lot more take-out these days!

DR hope the storms stay away so you can run

SIAR ice cream cake and compression socks sound like the perfect valentine no matter who they are from!

Pressing I recently got pulled over (a warning!) for a headlight that was out. When the officer asked for my license and I pulled out my purse to get it, my 9 year old daughter piped up loudly from the back “Mom, are you going to pay him for getting in trouble!?”  Thankfully he laughed and let me go.

I have a 12 mile progression run to do after work.  I much prefer to run in the morning, but too slippery outside today for anything speedy and the gym doesn't open early enough for me to run, shower, change, get back home to pick up kids for daycare/school, and be to work by 7 a.m.  Especially not for a 12 mile day.  So, when my shift ends at 7:30p.m. (barring a last minute flight anywhere)  I'll head to the gym and try to forget how tired I am and work on some leg turnover.  Next three days off work so I guess I shouldn't complaing too much.

Julia1971

CC, I can imagine how overwhelming that must have felt.  Hope you continue to recovery physically and mentally from your accident.

Pressing, Two carbo load meals, eh.  Are you going with pasta or are you going to branch out?  Enjoy your weekend of doing nothing.  Although, things seem to find themselves on to the calendar sometimes...  I bought four treats for my staff (only 4 of them were in today) and all 4 were gone when I got out of training!!!  I figured one of them wouldn't want one.  One of them is diabetic for crying out loud!  So, I didn't get a treat.  My BFF dropped off a raspberry pie for me the other day, so I guess I'll have a slice of that.  It was thoughtful, but, I'm also wondering how I'm going to finish a whole pie on my own.  Sad  And, I think people clueless does help.  I've been pulled over one time and I literally put my hands in the air until the officer came to my window.  LOL!  I didn't want them to think I was reaching for a gun.  I've watched too many Cops episodes or something.

SIAR, You are so sweet to get a Valentine's gift for your mom...  I have things I can wear for the race.  And, the Gore running apparel wasn't terrible - just not the right sizes and colors.  So, I'm thinking I'll just return what I got and re-order everything...  I felt really good this morning.  Other than being sleepy, that is.  I can't figure out what to do about the tune-up race.  I'm not sure what the point of running one is if conditions prevent you from being able to make an assessment.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

"If you feel bad at 10 miles, you're in trouble. If you feel bad at 20 miles, you're normal. If you don't feel bad at 26 miles, you're abnormal." -Rob de Castella

Just saw that on a random blog and liked it.

Jen...good luck with the progression after work. Hopefully it will be one of those days when your legs surprise you with their spry-ness. 3 days off should make for great training.

Julia...okay, so you have a whole pie and I have a whole ice cream cake. First, I think I'm in more trouble than you are. Second, I think we both had better run some more miles! If it were me, I'd run the race. If nothing else, you can refamiliarize yourself with the race atmosphere and get some tempo work.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

JenRosie, I missed your post somehow...  Have fun on the treadmill.  As much as I kinda hated it, I think it helped my running for exactly what you mentioned - leg turnover.  Ever since I did those 3 days on the treadmill, I've been feeling really light on my feet.  Hope it has the same effect for you.

SIAR, Yeah, you're definitely in more trouble.  That's way more calories.  Although, I could add vanilla ice cream to my pie...  Forecast is now showing snow the day before and snow flurries on race day.  Sad  I guess there's a storm coming through this weekend.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...a la mode is a good way to go! If you go to the race you can get a fun new winter picture like mine ha. Now is about the time winter starts to make me crazy, but I try not to think about it.

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone! I was pretty busy today so just now getting time to post.

Julia: Nice job with your medium run. Nice to get treats for your staff. Hope you get caught up on rest.

B.S.: Nice flowers. Hope you had a good 8 and have a nice time swimming with DH.

RVD: Great job with the MP miles.

Scott: Hope you got your 6 in. Nice to get your DW roses.

marco: Nice 10+ outside. Hope you got your double in.

jack: Great job with the tempo and hills under tough conditions, hope you're able to enjoy dinner.

Docket: Hope the storms didn't mess up your run.

CC: Glad you were able to run again.

Pressing: I know it's tough to rest, but it is good at this point. Good to get in a shakeout run tomorrow.

SIAR: Great job with the easy 10. Nice that you and your mom get each other stuff! That is a good quote. I definitely felt bad at 10 miles last year in Buffalo, hope to never feel like that so early on in a marathon, man did it get ugly.

JenRosie: Hope your progression run goes well, wow, tough after that shift.

QOTD: Nope, not really a special day for me. I might buy some candy later when it's marked down.

Kind of a tough run for me today. 13.85 and only did 9 of them at MP, wanted 10 at least, but I'd spent all day hunched over at my desk working on a deadline, really did not eat a good breakfast or lunch, then when I stood up in the afternoon to go start the run, the legs felt pretty stiff and a little sore. Ran the 2 miles to the park very easy, then when I got to the park, because it was the first nice day after all the rain, it was packed. I found myself  having to constantly swerve around models doing photo shoots (I did photobomb one of the shots), little girls lying down on the path, remote-control cars, people on bicycles riding so slowly they weren't in control of their steering and wobbled back and forth, etc. Managed 8:56 for the 9 MP miles, then the miles after were very slow. I think I could have used fuel,don't normally fuel on runs of this distance, but I think because I didn't eat well earlier, I just ran out of steam quicker than I normally would. So it was not a huge confidence builder, but under the circumstances, I'll take it. Have at least one longer MP run planned, but may try to squeeze an additional one in at some point.

Have a great evening, everyone! Going to be an early night for me, I think. 

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

JenRosie--the last time I ate there was the night before a marathon.  I had a maple chicken penne.  Delicious!

Beth--Brewbaker's is the name of the place

SIAR--It could end in a few days or it could last months.

5.61 on the TM in the VFFs after work.  Did that for an even 16 for the day.

PressingOn

Uh oh.  I'm feeling perhaps a cold coming on.  Taking Zicam tonight and lots of Emergen-C.  Ugh.  I will be so ticked if I wind up with ds's fever in the next day.  No school tomorrow so at least I can sleep in late and rest.

JenRosie - Lol about your dd thinking you were paying the officer because you got in trouble.  Though, I guess if one gets a ticket that is essentially what happens. My ds that made the comment is also 9. Must be the age.

Julia - Lol!! That is funny. I bet you were the talk of that police officer's dinner table that night. Smile Yes, two meals. Tonight was whole wheat spaghetti and tomorrow I'm doing orange roughy (fish) and baked sweet potatos.  I've always had success with that as a pre-lr dinner so it should work for the race as well.

Swift - Sounds like an interesting run. At least your mind had lots to occupy itself with.

Marco - Hi!