Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 12/14/12 (Read 171 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

How's everybody doing?  I did 8.23 miles today on some good, hilly roads.  The pace was on the quicker end of easy, but still easy.  Having a cut-back week this week has been a little boring, but at least I'm logging miles. 

I was looking at my shoe wear for the month...so far I've worn 3 different shoes 3 times each (Rider, Precision, Ghost), 1 pair 4 times(Sky Speed), and another pair 1 time (Adizero Boston that should be retired but I'm forcing it to remain in the work force).  Anyways, I thought that was pretty good rotation considering the only thing I intentionally do is not wear a shoe 2 days in a row.  Am I the only knucklehead that pays attention to stuff like this?

Question:  Do you all subscribe to any running magazines other than Running Times and Runners World?

Julia...From yesterday...those pace calculators definitely aren't an exact science.  For me, my half and 5k PRs yield the same marathon time.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to run that, but I think it had more to do with weather and injury than fitness.  As for yours, it definitely seems like something in the 3:15-3:20 range would be very doable.  Have you considered using the 3:20 time as your training paces through January to keep fresh, then moving them down closer to the 3:13 range as your race approaches?  I'm suggesting that after having read the reminder not to train at goal pace in the latest edition of Running Times.  Nice job getting out in the cold today.  It's hard, but I think it gets easier.  Cherry Blossom would be awesome...I'll pass on the women's race though ha.

Scott...Enjoy that 50 degree weather!  I'm glad you're going to take it easier with the run and think it will serve you well.

Joe...Good timing for the rest day.  Healthy eats are rare this time of year (at least for me).

Jodi...Nice work with the 7 miles.  Hopefully some preventative meds and a few bottles of hand sanitizer will be enough to keep you healthy!

Docket...Sorry you're not feeling it at the moment.  From the other post, I hope your day with the judge went well.  I loved the idea of wearing your ornament as bling, attached to a gigantic gold chain haha.  Perhaps your B.A. compression socks under a skirt could top off the look?  I'm all for the additional activity in here.  I think the only person we're missing from RWOL is GeorgiaRunnerGrl

Marco...Hey, nice to see you early again.  Sorry that the holidays have been a little rough.  It does seem to always happen that way.  I was wondering if you were back on track for your goal mileage - nice to see that you are.

CC...Who you callin' a freak?  Smile  So does that mean ROUD will be over 10 miles today?  I've never had that problem during races, just after.  I hope you get your answers.

Pressing...Yep, you'll feel better just getting it done.  Cheesecake seems like decent motivation.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Since Julia and I were discussing marathon pace, I went back and found the quote from the Pete Magill article that made the point I was trying to share:

"We're supposed to feel good.  That's the whole point of correct training.  Feeling good isn't a green light to run workouts that are beyond our reach.  And running goal pace won't get us to goal race shape more quickly."

Maybe it's just because it's a concept I struggle with, but I think that quote puts training in such good perspective. 

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Joe1775

How's everybody doing?  I did 8.23 miles today on some good, hilly roads.  The pace was on the quicker end of easy, but still easy.  Having a cut-back week this week has been a little boring, but at least I'm logging miles. 

I was looking at my shoe wear for the month...so far I've worn 3 different shoes 3 times each (Rider, Precision, Ghost), 1 pair 4 times(Sky Speed), and another pair 1 time (Adizero Boston that should be retired but I'm forcing it to remain in the work force).  Anyways, I thought that was pretty good rotation considering the only thing I intentionally do is not wear a shoe 2 days in a row.  Am I the only knucklehead that pays attention to stuff like this?

Question:  Do you all subscribe to any running magazines other than Running Times and Runners World?

SiaR - I currently have 4 pair of running shoes.  2 for road, 2 for trails.  I like to rotate the shoes and, like you, don't wear the same pair 2 days in a row.  I've just recently began tracking mileage on each shoe.  I even have 2 running jackets, 2 sets of gloves, 2 ear wraps, etc... for winter/rain running and rotate these as well.  I don't feel obsessive in this, but rather purposeful.  I like to let things air out and dry so as not to unecessarily wear them out before their time.  

I subscribe to Runner's World and Marathon and Beyond.  I like M&B the best by far, but enjoy RW non-the-less.  

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone! Didn't manage to get a post up here yesterday, just seemed to run out of time. I ran a double, 9+ at lunchtime and then 3+ with a group with another 1+ on the way there. So close to 14 total. As those on FB saw, I was able to place 2nd in the Ugly Runner Outfit Contest at the neighborhood running store where the group run was held. Trying to figure out how to get the pic up here.

Scott: good idea to cut back tomorrow's run.

joe: enjoy the rest day.

DR: hope your migraine is gone now. Very glad I don't get those.

marco: enjoy your days off.

Pressing: I love cheesecake! Yum!

CC: hope you're able to resolve the cramping. 

jojo: crazy bringing sick kids to daycare, especially vomiting ones. Hopefully you don't catch anything.

SIAR: nice job with the 8+. I don't subscribe to any running magazines, just read articles online that interest me. I get email updates from sites like RunnersConnect. When I was living in Germany, I did buy the German RW a lot and a few others. 

Hi to everyone else, too!

Heading out shortly for 4 or so recovery miles. Doing my longer run tomorrow instead of Sunday, as for the next 12 weeks BoMF will be running Saturdays with the group doing the official training program for the Georgia Marathon. Not sure how that will be for me, since I'm used to solo LRs and deciding my own distance, but I think it will be fun to have the company and nice to get the support during the runs and  food after. I can always run some additional miles beforehand some weeks, I guess.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

Ok, I'll try again  with the pic. There ya go!

outfit

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Good day to all... I have 10 today, but didn't to it in the AM as I usually do... wanted instead to lose a little sleep to see shooting stars with my 6-year-old daughter. We saw about 6 after 9 PM (past my bedtime :-)).

Good morning Julia and all others.

Scott - Good plan. I hope that works well for you.

Hilltopper - Hope the packed weekend is fun and the 7 was good.

Marco - I'm experimenting with early vs. later posting... if I post in the AM I seem to spend too long and cramping my run. Not sure how it will work out yet..

JoJo - I hope the sickness stays away from you and your child.

SIAR - I log my shoes in Sporttracks and so I have the miles they've gone.. I rotate 3 pairs but could do 2 that way. I'm a freak, but ST makes it easy.   GREAT quote!

NotTooSwift - Great pic!

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Mostly Harmless

SIAR - I don't subscribe to any publications.  Get all my info online.

Regarding shoes, right now I am down to one active pair but I have high hopes that that Santa will bring me some Wave Inspire 8's for Christmas.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Joe...Four seems like a good number to rotate, especially with trail shoes being a different animal.  My problem is I have too many shoes that I don't like!  I rotate the winter gear like you do as well.  It's usually so wet that it can't be worn again for two or three days after a run.  I hadn't heard of Marathon and Beyond, so I'll look into that.

NotSwift...Wow, only second place huh?  The compression shorts hanging out from under your shorts really gave it the kick in my book.  Nice work on your double.  I've never seen the runners connect site until just looking at it now.  I wonder if I could set up a site and get people to pay for me to coach them ha.  Good luck with switching your runs around.  Hopefully your paces will work out doing them with others.

Mark...The tracking websites do help make it easier to be crazy.  I'm jealous that you got to see the stars.  I feel like every time I wake up in the middle of the night to see a meteor or the like there's nothing happening.  Nice job on the 10.

Scott...Good luck with Santa!  The magazines are always Christmas gifts for me...not sure if I'd purchase them on my own or not.  I do enjoy them though.

Bad Ass

SIAR, LOL.

Swift, nice pic.

Migraine is leaving.  Now I'm nauseous.  Jackpot!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

CompetitiveChik

Got in 14.5. My experiment was with my shoes and my hydration on my runs. I started cramping (on my race) around mile 10. Thought maybe it was my sodium intake since it was hot and humid and (as a friend pointed out) I have upped my miles. Even thought maybe it was my shoes. So I changed shoes and ran with my drink this time, makimg sure i had my 20oz drank by the time an hr rolled around. I noticed arouns mile 10 I was beginning to cramp, so I decided to change the way I land on my foot. Within 1/4mile I noticed the cramps were lettin up. By the time I got to the end of my run they were gone. I felt great the whole way (as far as energy goes.) I'll experiment with my other running shoes and continue to work on my landing. But it feels really good to know that I have the energy part down ans possibly an answer to the whole crampimg issue.

PS - not sure if the RR will happen today. Inlaws are comin over. oh joy Roll eyes and should be here soon.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

PressingOn

Got my swim done and it did feel good. 

Magazines I get are RW, Running Times and Women's Running.  I got the Women's Running because they were giving away a cute RunnerChic shirt with subscriptions.  

Keeping it short right now.  Dd is due home from school any moment and after today's horrible, horrific, sad news on the school shooting, I am anxious to meet her and give her a hug.  I had to drive past ds's elementary school on my way home from the gym and it was all I could do not to stop and go get him so I could hug him.  He gets home an hour after dd.  

It will be good to eat cheesecake and watch a funny musical by the youth tonight.  My mommy heart needs the amusement.  Cry

wasn't really in the mood to run after watching the news...but did 9.9 in shorts and VFFs.  That may not happen again until March or April.  

swift--were you happy with second or disappointed you didn't get first?Smile

Finally PRed!!!

Yes, it's very hard to watch the news. So terrible.

mark: that is so cool that  you watched the shooting stars with your daughter.

SIAR: why not? Set up a website, put up some pics and see if people will send you money.  

DR: hope you feel better.

marco, SIAR: I'm pretty sure my outfit was uglier than that of the woman who got 1st. They did say extra points for holiday theme (hence my Santa hat) and she had more Christmas stuff on than I did. Plus, they scored it by rating the applause we got, and since I  was new to this running group, there wasn't anyone who knew me in the judging audience. That said, I was still very happy to get  2nd. For 2nd, I  got a $30 gift card at the running store, plus I had already won a nice Mizuno duffle bag in the raffle, and I got arm warmers since everyone got a gift just for entering the raffle. So, while a couple times afterward, I did think to myself, "I know my outfit was uglier," I really can honestly say I was not disappointed. They also had beer, burritos and a yummy hot chocolate drink after the run. So for my first run with this group, I really can't complain about any of it. 

Finally PRed!!!

Forgot to mention I broke my yearly mileage record in today's run. 

Julia1971

Swift, congratulations on breaking a mileage record!  And, that outfit is just awful.  LOL!  It's hard to imagine how that was second place.

CC, good luck figuring out the cramps and fueling.  I think all you can do is practice different things.

Docket_Rocket, I hope you feel better soon.  It sounds like you're having a crummy week.

Mark, how sweet!  I bet that was very special for you both.

SIAR, I usually have at least 2 shoes in rotation in case one gets wet on a run or something.  But right now, I have 4.  Shocked  It's a sickness...  And, I'll report back tomorrow about goal MP.  I'm going to see how my run goes tomorrow and plug some other races through McMillan and Daniels to see if there are any trends.

Jojo, I'm such a rule follower that I thought having a policy in place would be enough.  Grrr! that people ignore it.

Pressing, the Cherry Blossom is a 10 Miler.  It's a beautiful race but very crowded.  I would highly recommend it (or the Army Ten Miler) if you feel like coming to D.C. for an "event" race.

Marco, I'm actually better than I used to be.  When I first started running, I would be in tights, sweatpants, a shirt and a sweat shirt on 40 or 50 degree days.  LOL!  My hands get cold, though.  I don't like them fingers start to go numb. 

Scott, so glad to see the foot is doing better.  I hope tomorrow's run goes well.  Did you enter the lottery for Cherry Blossom?  I think the deadline was today. 

Run the mile you are in.