September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

October:

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Julia1971

Docket, hope you have a great race today!

SIAR, sounds like you had a long road to being able to run well again.  I can understand wanting to be cautious with racing.

Scott, I run the C&O sometimes but my ankles and knees don't like running on rocks.  So, when I do run on that trail, I try to run on the asphalt trail next to it...  Does it have a different name or do people also call that the C&O, too?  Since my goal race is RnR USA, I may try to work Rock Creek into some of my long runs but it might be hard from the suburbs.

I'm getting ready for an 8K at 9am.  The weather should be okay - it's in the 50s but drizzly.  My stomach was feeling a little upset which was disconcerting considering I was down and out with food poisoning not long ago.  But, I had half bagel and some coffee and things seem to be settling down...  I'm debating whether to wear my racing flats or not.  Con: I haven't worn them in months and they may hurt my feet.  Pro: it's a short race and this is what I bought them for.  I think I'll bring them and make a game time decision.  So excited!  I love racing!

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Good morning Julia. I sure hope your 8k goes well and the stomach issues are gone by this time. 

Speedy thoughts go out to Docket too!

17mi LR on tap today for me. Must get going. 

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

jojo61397

URD.  I caught the bugs (stomach and pink eye) from my son.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
          Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Julia1971

Thanks everyone!  The race went well.  I finished in 33:48, which is a PR and about 1:30 faster than I ran it last year, so I not bad at all.  I ended up 4th in my age group, though, so no goodies this time.  But, I'm happiest with how I paced the race.  At the 5-miler I ran last month, I faded in one of the middle miles, but I held a consistent pace/effort this time.  And, I skipped the racing flats.  I decided it wasn't worth risking sore feet for the rest of the week.  Rest is on the agenda for the rest of the day since I'm going to run long tomorrow. 

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...Congrats on the great effort and new PR.  Just out of curiosity, what's your non-racing flat racing shoe?  I've found that the Ascics SkySpeed has been a good middle ground shoe for me.  Nice job on the pacing - sometimes those even splits feel better than the actual race time!

Mark...That's a nice LR distance, in my book anyway.  It isn't as daunting as the 20+, but you still feel like you're accomplishing something.  Hope it went well.

Jodi...Yikes, feel better!

Hill...Usually I'm pretty nimble with my speaking, but if it happens again some preventative mouth calisthenics might be in order!  Who's your college hoops team? 

Docket...Hope the race went well today!  Looking forward to hearing about it. 

My run was pretty good today:  8.89 miles overall with 1.5 miles uphill at HMP 7 miles in.  Unfortunately, I started out way too fast with the first HMP mile, and was only able to go 1.2 miles before having to take a jogging break.  I could actually taste the lactic buildup in my mouth.  After my little jog I found another hill and did the last .3 that I needed.  It was a good week for me at 66 miles.  Hopefully, that's what I'll average over the next 10 weeks before upping the average to the 70s for the following 10.

Hope the rest of you are enjoying a peaceful Sunday.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

SIAR, my everyday shoe is the Mizuno Wave Precision.  I was in Asics Gel Nimbus for years but decided I wanted to transition to a lighter shoe.  I like it okay.  I also have a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders that are also pretty light weight but I don't like them as much.  I'm just waiting to get 300 miles on them so I can retire them and feel like I got my money's worth.  Smile  I have a habit of fading in the middle miles.  All I can figure is that it's mental.  I think I panic and doubt I can maintain a pace through the finish.  I really wanted a huge PR today so I think that spurred me on not to slack off.

Brains aint me forte

Hello all. No running for me today.  The weather is semi-yucky and although I don't feel like I made anything worse by running yesterday I do recognize that something is hurting in that foot for a reason and I need to be careful until I find out what it is.  I'll probably get in a few middle distance runs this week while I wait for the doctor's appointment.

Julia - Congrats on the new PR!  You are indeed a very speedy runner.  The C&O up my way (Frederick County, MD) doesn't have a paved trail next to it.  The towpath is crushed gravel with dirt on top.  To me it feels about the same as asphalt in the warmer months but quite a bit softer than that when there has been a recent rainfall.

Mark - I hope your 17 goes well!

Jodi - Sorry about the bug getting you. I guess that's the down side to family life, we all get to share!

SIAR - Good job on that run!  What does lactic build-up taste like?

backtracking to yesterday...

Hill - Agreed.  I'm stubborn but will take myself out if needed.

Marco - I don't remember reading about a possible move to London until yesterday.  Sorry it didn't work out.

Joe - I was about to comment on your Facebook posts here.  I'll hold off and let you catch everyone up first.

Damaris - I hope the HM went well today.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                  Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...That's funny, I have both of those shoes.  The precision 12s and the rider 15s.  My opinion is pretty similar to yours - tepid at best.  I really don't like the rider because it's just too stiff of a shoe for me.  Not only does the midsole have no flex, but even the upper is rigid.  I got it thinking I was doing myself a favor for long runs, but like you, I'm just waiting to put my miles on it.  I'm better with the precision, but I really land forward on my midfoot, and I feel like the size of the heel gets in the way.  Also, I agree about the middle miles in that it's hard to keep them moving.  The only thing I've found is that it's a good time for me to latch on to someone that's running a little faster than I am.  PR motivation helps too!

Scott...Milk, obviously haha.  Actually I don't know, it's just that acrid sort of taste that fills the throat.  Just be safe on that food...I'm glad you're resting.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Joe1775

Rehoboth marathon completed!  Enjoyable run, well supported and jealously cared for by the Race Director.  On schedule for Dec 7th, 2013 with registration opening in February.  I plan on returning.

Pre-race diner at the Green Turtle, just off the board walk on the 2nd floor over looking the beach and ocean.  Excellent food and beverage choices.  Post race I kicked back with a 16oz cheese pizza and some juice.  My room at the Atlantic Sands was very nice, and very quiet, and right on the beach.  

If you can't tell, I had an excellent weekend.  Marathon 13 is in the books.  

- I don't wear a watch or care about clock time.  I had a good time and am sitting here reflecting on the entire experience.  

Up next, PHUNT 50K trail run near Elkton, MD on January 5th.  :-)

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

RUN DONE: 17 LR miles that just felt awesome! Slightly hot near the end, but not bad.

2 mi warm-up, core 13 @ 72% HRR / 8:01 pace, 2 mile warm-down.

Gave me a 60 mile week.

Broke my annual mileage PR on mile 9, so now am at 2217 for the year (was 2209 set last year). Kind of cool. Interestingly, the total hours running last year was 334, this year so far is 326... about 8 FEWER than last year (average pace is faster).

Jojo - OUCH and so sorry!

Julia - CONGRATULATIONS! 4th in AG is awesome! You GO!

SIAR - Agreed, and it was great. Good weekly mileage! Mile should be slowly increasing as I settle in to a plan... still going back and forth between the Pfitz 70 and 85 plans... I so want to do the 85, hoping that my HR takes me to great times in Boston, but sleep is an issue, and 70 would actually help MORE if I sleep a little more. Tough call.

ImNotScott - Glad you're being very aware of your body. That's one important mark of a more mature runner! Great job there man! ...and I really mean that; it's huge.

Joe - AWESOME MAN! Congratulations!

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Brains aint me forte

... That's one important mark of a more mature runner! Great job there man! ...and I really mean that; it's huge.

Thank your sir.  Mature is not a word often used to describe me.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

Joe, happy to hear you had an enjoyable race.  Kind of off topic but, did you get a sense for how the eastern shore has bounced back from Sandy?  I remember seeing some pictures during the storm but haven't heard much since.

Scott, that seems better than what we have down here.  And, it's kinda creepy in the early morning.  I haven't heard of problems but I feel lonely on the C&O.  But, maybe that's why a lot of people like it.

Mark, congrats on hitting your yearly mileage PR.  And based on the time, I'm guessing you're planning to set some race PRs, too.

SIAR, I probably will experient with some other shoes.  I can keep you posted.  I think I was fitted in the new version of the Wave Rider when I went to get my newest pair of Precisions.  From what I recall, they felt much different than the 15s - lighter, flatter, and more flexible.

thinkin about glory days

Hi, guys. 8.4 for me this morning on a hilly course. I felt great, but then again I wasn't wearing my Asics Gel Blur33s....

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

very busy at work and will be here until 9PM.  Only managed 5 plus with the last mile probably at about a 10 minute pace due to icy surfaces.

Joe--glad you had a great time yesterday

Julia--congrats on the PR!

Jodi--get well soon!

Mark--nice work on the 17

SIAR--what's your next full...Glass City?

Scott--wise decision to rest

Hill--nice run