Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 4/30/13 (Read 19 times)

So_Im_a_Runner- I ran Air Force last year (my first ever marathon) and it was a great time. The support on the front half is excellent and the only hill comes during the first couple of miles - it really wasn't anything at all. However, the back half winds around the outskirts of the base and was more out in the open (sunnier & hotter) There was also less crowd support out there than on the front half. They do have a couple of highway overpasses that give some unexpected hills late in the race. The finish was great as you run down the runway with all the old aircraft - though by that stage of the race I was really only looking at how far away the finish line was Wink

Just B.S.- That local coach sounds AWESOME ... what an incredible resource for you guys!

hilltopper91- Sorry to hear you've got a sick little one. Hopefully she'll get some rest and everything heals up OK with the ear.

CompetitiveChik- Thanks for the welcome. Wink

ImNotScott- Thanks and I hope those 5 + 3 miles are good ones today. (I have to admit to doing the same thing when I'm close to some mileage threshold ... though that usually ends up with me doubling because it's after the fact)

Docket_Rocket- I think your spring was when you got to wear arm warmers during that one race earlier this year ... or was that winter. I forget because I think you only get one day of each during the year.

Julia1971- Nice work on the intervals ... and I completely agree on the hungry side - it usually hits me about an hour after the run. Thanks also for adding in some races for me. I just ran my 1st of 4 for the year (Illinois Marathon) but still have these on the calendar.

BruceD555 - 06/22 - Grandma's Marathon

BruceD555 - 10/06 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Train smart ... race smarter.

Mostly Harmless

Hello again.  Back from a soggy 8.1 which gives me 140.4 for the month.  I felt under dressed for the first half mile or so but once I warmed up it felt good.  I was running by perceived effort today and did my best to ignore the Garmin except to get my distance.  Splits were kind of all over the place but I guess that's to be expected.

Julia - Good work on your intervals.  No offense, but I'm pretty sure you were already a monster before Sunday.

Marco - I hope the LR later goes well.  I can't imagine running marathons this close together.

NTS - Have a good 6. You are making me feel guilty for skipping hill sprints the last couple weeks.

RVD - Nice 10 this morning. You are very consistent with getting your runs in. I wouldn't stress too much about the occasional change in plans.

SIAR - I'm glad you don't have too much soreness to contend with.  I was thinking about your QOTD while I was running today and I honestly can't give you any helpful advice.  Your abilities are so far beyond mine that I don't know how to suggest a goal that would be realistic.  I DO worry a little that you might suffer from a bit of post marathon blues.  Having a big goal that you are working toward for a long time and then achieving it can leave you with a bit of a psychological empty space.  The urge to replace it with another goal can be pretty strong even when that might not be the best thing for you to do physically.  So I guess my advice is for you to hold off on setting any kind of a "what's next" goal for now and enjoy your success for a while.  You earned it.

Damaris - Enjoy the 5 later.  I've been getting some good walks in with my DW recently and enjoying that a lot. I don't think she'll ever be a runner but walking is a great way to spend time together and every little bit helps.

Beth - Enjoy the sunny seven!

Hill - I'm sorry to hear about your little one!  Good job taking care of her Dad!

Bruce - Welcome again. We could use some new blood in here (not that there is anything wrong with the old blood) so I hope you'll stay.  Enjoy your recovery miles tonight.

CC - More miles = less grumpy.  Smile

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

jojo61397

Good afternoon--

Well, it's safe to say DH is on his way to Germany, after he gets there he will get a rotator to the deployed location.

I did 3 miles on the beach.  As romantic as beach running sounds it was really hard work.  I ran a 13:00 min/mile for 3.2 miles...  It took me 40 minutes.  I will never do the Destin 50 (it's an ultra on the beach).

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
        Sub- 1:45 hour half.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hill...Scary stuff with your little one!  Glad it's nothing too serious.  It does sound like it'd be a good time for a TM.  Sorry the job situation didn't work out as you had hoped.  At least you are safe.  I agree with you that I probably need to take some more time before deciding what to do.

Bruce...Hey, welcome!  Now don't go teasing us, if you're coming in here we expect daily and detailed posting.  Kidding, of course.  It sounds like you're recovering really well.  Thanks for all the good info on Air Force.  I think it closed early last year so I'll have to decide within the next month or so.  I had no idea you were doing that many marathons!

CC...Nice job on the ride.  I think my problem when I was trying to bike more was that I felt like it wasn't worth it if I wasn't doing like 25+ miles, but that's completely the wrong way to look at it.  I think you may be on to something about your mileage.  If you enjoy it, you might as well get out there when you feel like it.

Scott...way to get out there and hit your goal for the month.  That's like doing a full ironman of all running!  I appreciate the thought you gave my question.  You're right about the post marathon blues being something I need to pay attention to, and I completely agree that I should wait a bit before really jumping on something else.  At this point in my running, that was as close to all out as I know how to give, so I'm sure my body needs to recover even if I am feeling good.

Docket...Spring does seem to be a thing of the past anymore.

Julia...You were really moving on those intervals!  I used to be able to go most of the day without eating and not notice it at all.  Now I get grumpy and end up with a headache.  I'm not sure if that's aging, or just about all the running.  Thanks for being so happy for me!  It's really nice of you.  I'll be sure to do the main forum post as a poll, just for you.  It will be my first time polling the populous.

Jodi...You're so right about beach running...it seems like it should just be totally peaceful, and there should probably even be some corny music playing in the background as the waves lapped up to your feet.  Instead, it's just really hard!  Good workout though.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

Bruce, that was Winter, ha.

Jodi, hugs.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

CompetitiveChik

EEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big grin Thuper, thuper, exthited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big grin I was chosen as a wear tester for Brooks. I love there shoes. I can't post anything else on it but I'm so stoked. Can't wait to get started.

That is all...Carry onSmile

(wish we had the dancing icons. I would totally be usin them right now.Smile)

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

CompetitiveChik

CC...Nice job on the ride.  I think my problem when I was trying to bike more was that I felt like it wasn't worth it if I wasn't doing like 25+ miles, but that's completely the wrong way to look at it.  I think you may be on to something about your mileage.  If you enjoy it, you might as well get out there when you feel like it.

yeah, I kinda feel that way but I don't plan on backin down from my riding. I'll just do additional runnin on the days she has me doin cardio. I do love riding and I can definately see the difference in the muscles and tell too when I'm runnin.

Finally PRed!!!

CC: Here ya go!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Bad Ass

That is awesome, CC!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

CompetitiveChik

CC: Here ya go!

lol......thanks buuuuuuuuudee

jackdyl11

Wow! So much going on today! There's no way I can catch up on everything, but

SIAR - I'd work on speed because going fast is fun!

CC - LUCKY!

Hill - I hope yourdaughter feels better!

Bruce - Welcome!

Everyone Else - You're important too, but I have to get back to work!

I got some intervals in today, but it was a pretty low key workout.  4x400 in 1:20, then 2xmile at MP.  I ALMOST slowed down to GMP - only messed up the second mile by about 5 seconds.  My sole race strategy for this weekend is to go out slower than GMP for the first mile.  If I can do that I think everything will work out.

Julia1971

Julia - Good work on your intervals.  No offense, but I'm pretty sure you were already a monster before Sunday.

LOL!  I think you're probably right.  Smile

JoJo, Yeah, I don't know why it's supposed to be romantic or whatever to run on the beach.  In reality, it's tiring and depending on the beach, you end up stepping on all kinds of pointy stuff.  Not good.

SIAR, Poll!  Poll!  Poll!  I may think of a poll just to have one.  My last post was about coffee k-cups.  I couldn't believe I got 4 pages of opinions.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

CC, That is so cool.  Cool

Jack, I'm sure you'll do great.  I can't wait to hear about your race.

Run the mile you are in.

straight from long day at work to LR to cooking supper to bed....

20.26 done.  It felt very easy....not fast, but I could have done a few more