Marathoner Dailies

Holy Heck It's cold Dailies - January 23, 2013 (Read 11 times)

Finally PRed!!!

Docket: Enjoy the recovery 5.

marco: Great job getting in over 5 in those conditions.

runmom: Have a great 14!

SIAR: Great intervals, wow, nice pace! It is right below the patella, pretty much feels like the patellar tendinitis which I had in earlier running years. In fact my first experience with this injury was in a 15 mile race when I was like 16. I think I had it first in the left knee, then after altering my stride because of the pain, it cropped up in the right also. Of course this was in pre-internet days (and by that I mean before it was available to the general public!), when the companies that  take photos of runners in races to sell them used to bring copies of the proofs to subsequent races and put them out at their booth. So the next race I went to, there were like half a dozen pics of me from this race, bent over holding my knee and grimacing. I also struggled with it in training for my first 2 marathons (more in the 1st one than 2nd), and usually wearing patellar tendon strap helped a lot. Then it seemed to mostly go away on its own, once I lost weight and got stronger muscles in my legs...but when I am pushing my limits with mileage it does usually seem to recur, though (like now) usually in a much milder form than in the old days. I'm going to wear the strap to the run tonight, got it on now and it already feels better walking around. But usually I can run through it, as long as I pay attention to my total mileage and quality and reduce if necessary.

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Swift...sounds like you have a good handle on how to deal with it. I guess it's somewhat reassuring that it's something you've had before and you know you can get past it. I find it odd to think about it like this, but I guess really training is all about finding out how to break our bodies down as much as possible while limiting the damage.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

I cut the run short to 3 miles.  I wasn't feeling my best and my breathing was blah, so I cut it.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

4.81 miles done at 8:30 pace with the group folks. It was a great run...good people, those runners.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

I got my double in - both runs on the treadmill.  They both went well but it feels like it's been a long day...  I went from meeting to meeting again.  My feet hurt a bit early in the day but it wore off by the afternoon.  And, I didn't get lunch until 2:45 just before a 3pm meeting.  By the time I did my evening workout, I was dragging but got through find.  As soon as I got home, I made some microwave Indian food.  That really hit the spot.  I'm guessing I'll be awake for another hour or so, though.  I have a hard time sleeping after evening workouts.

Scott, I missed the local news but I'm sure it was very entertaining...  The coverage during Snowmaggedon was great.  Good times...  As I was walking to the gym, I thought to myself, "This isn't so bad.  Maybe I could have run in this".  And, then I remembered I had a big down coat on.  LOL!

Swift, I'm betting the knee will feel better with time.  FWIW, I found my knees felt better when I lifted weights for a while.  They'd "bad" again, so I'm thinking of focusing on it again.  It's just hard when I'm doing high mileage marathon training.

D_R, 70 sounds dreamy.  I'm so jealous!

Marco, Man, you had a rough morning...  So, you cross into Canada on some runs?  That's pretty cool...  Funny that we both ended our runs with Dunkin Donuts.  I went with chocolate frosted and a couple of jelly Munchkins.

RMT3B, Hope you had a good run tonight...  Those are some fast splits yesterday!  But, yeah, why not take the legs out for a spin every once in a while.

RVD, Hope it warms a bit for ya and the footing is good for intervals.

SIAR, Very nice interval workout.  It sounds like the temps don't bother you much...  I swear it was only 1 chocolate frosted and maybe 3 jelly Munchkins.  They were delicious.  I'm at a good weight, though.  I could probably eat a few more donuts.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
            Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...microwave Indian? Do share! I don't have any good ethnic food options that are close, so I'm curious as to what grocery store stuff there might be. It's hard to find time for food with full days and a double...at least you got through it. I usually do mt tougher one first...I don't know if I could pull of intervals for run two. Glad you enjoyed your donuts. People tell me I could stand to eat a few more donuts too. I had Taco Bell for dinner, with fudge for desert...way worse than donuts.

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: Yes, I think your description above is pretty accurate. Yes, this injury is really almost like an old "friend".  Glad you had a nice group run!

Docket: sorry you weren't feeling great, but the rest is probably just as good at this point, with your races so close together.

I had a nice group run too, got in 6 at easy pace, resisted the urge this time to stay with the faster people, though it was tough, because I inadvertently started out at right around MP, and it felt pretty good...but I slowed myself down to an easier pace, in accordance with my self-made plan. Wore the knee strap, and the knee felt pretty good.

Finally PRed!!!

Julia: x-posted (took me a while to write I guess cause I was eating!), nice work with your double. That does sound  like a long day. Yes, it would probably be a good idea for me to work on keeping the muscles around the knee strong. On the other hand, as long as I don't up my mileage any higher this cycle than the ~60 I  did for a couple weeks (and as long as I don't run faster more often than I should), I too think it will stay under control. The knee is just letting me know I'm pretty much at my limit right now with my training, something I kind of knew anyway. Wink

Julia1971

SIAR, I had the Tasty Bite Madras Lentils.  Delicious.  I discovered it at my local big chain grocery store.  But, I live in a neighborhood with lots of new immigrants, so, our grocery store tends to carry a lot of international food.  (Oddly, they also have Mars bars in the aisle.  I know we can't get them in the States but I still find it funny).  I microwaved that and an Uncle Ben's rice packet.  This may be my dinner every night for the next 5 weeks.

Swift, Glad you were able to keep it easy.  I bet the knee will feel better in a couple days.

Finally PRed!!!

Yeah, I'm debating whether to do the MP run I had planned for tomorrow or keep that one easy also. Ok, have to get off the computer and do some work...'night, all! Smile

You win, winter!  -6 right now on our way to -10 with a -30 wind chill tomorrow morning.  If I run it will be on the TM.

Julia1971

You win, winter!  -6 right now on our way to -10 with a -30 wind chill tomorrow morning.  If I run it will be on the TM.

Sleep on it.  You may change your mind tomorrow.  Evil