Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 1/29/13 (Read 16 times)

Julia1971

I decided to do the intervals workout. The roads didn't look too wet and I figured I should get this one out of the way since I have another interval workout next week.

Scott, Thanks for the reminder that attitude/mood are a choice. As I get older, I'm also trying to appreciate moments more, too. I remember posting on the main forum once about burn out and it was reassuring to know even the most die hard runners get it.

RVD, I think you're right about the plateaus. They're hard to plow through. It's demoralizing when you put in so much work and have so little to show for it. Which leads me to...

JenRosie, That's definitely part of it with me. It's been hard staying positive through both of those disappointments. Maybe I should cut myself some slack for not being Ms. Sunshine one day. Smile

JoJo, Welcome back! How do you like cross fit? My friends who have tried it love it.

D_R, Glad you're feeling better.

Marco, That's a heat wave! Get ready for it.

SIAR, It does seem like the running group has been good for you. It is good to be around encouraging people when the training blues do hit. Maybe I'll try to run with my club a bit more often.

hope I didn't forget anyone. It's hard to read forums on my BB but hopefully I'll have a new phone next week.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Ugh, the Saucony Cortana's that I ordered came, but they don't fit.  I took a chance on ordering them a half size small because I was able to get them for $60, but they won't work.  They do feel like a nice shoe, but the new version is like $130, which I'm not willing to pay.  I swear I'm in shoe purgatory.  I hate it!!!

Julia...Good job getting the intervals taken care of.  You're definitely allowed a few days of not being Ms. Sunshine, although we'll expect not to see any evidence of that here Smile

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Brains aint me forte

I am SUPER excited!  I was looking on Google Maps to see if I could find a new place to run and I noticed what looked like a trail a couple miles up the road from my office.  Today I decided to have a look and I ran up there on my lunch break.  I expected to find a soggy hiking trail but instead I found a PAVED hiker/biker trail.  I ran down the trail for a couple miles and couldn't see any end in sight so I stopped a lady that was walking the other way and asked her how far the trail went from where we stood.  She said about 7 miles!  I'm SO psyched to have found a place this close to my office where I can run without fear of getting hit by a car or having to suck fumes while traffic roars by!

On top of all that, it was in the upper 50's and sunny by the time I went out.  Shorts and a tech shirt at the end of January!  Today is a good day.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

4.83 miles at a 9:24 pace with my Ironman buddy.  Great recovery miles for me, and nice to catch up with a friend.  60 degrees and sunny was just the icing on the cake!

Scott...That's exciting!  New running routes are like Christmas morning to a kid.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

PressingOn

Hey all!   I'm back from a great group run with my coach.  It was marathon pace so actually a nice easy run for me.  It was dumping rain but was quite fun and enjoyable.  For the first time ever I had my running tights suds up on me.  Yes, they were creating little soapy splotches on my legs.  I guess the clothes washer didn't do as superb a job as it should have during the rinse cycle.  Anyway, we did about 5.5 miles.  I never did make it to the LRS yesterday.  I decided I'll go tomorrow on my SRD while the kids are in school.  That'll be much easier than dragging them along.  I'm excited for trail shoes!!  I do hope I don't ruin them right off the bat though in a muddy trail race.

SIAR - (from yesterday) I find wet and slightly warmer is colder than just plain old dry and cold. (Today) Good job on the run today. Was the weather better? And a wonky watch is better than what I had ... no watch. I forgot it. Boo.

Scott - I've got 22 on Thursday. I'll remember you made yours and hopefully that'll help me finish mine. You're right. It's perfectly normal to have those feelings during training.  Love that you found a new route.  Sounds like a great one.

Damaris - Glad you figured out the reflux.

Julia - How far away is your race? Oh, never mind. I can look at the race listing, huh? Duh. Hang in there, you'll be at race day before you know it. First you have taper though.  Do you get taper madness at all?

QOTD - I'm feeling the training doldrum's now. Those lr's are feeling really, really long. I am super stoked my last one is this week. I'm ready for taper and to run my races.  I've got 4 between now and May.  I don't get winter doldrum's. I love running in winter but then I don't have the massive amounts of snow and ice many of you have and I enjoy the rain and cool temps so there you go.  It works for me. I do get summer training doldrum's with running. I hate running in sun and heat.  That's why I think I'm going to enjoy tri's this summer.  Swimming and riding in the summer are much more tolerable but I'll still get to keep my running fitness up enough to jump back to long distances in the fall.

RVD - Happy that this cycle has been a good one for you. Improvement is great motivation.

Jojo who? Ha ha. Just kiddin'. Good to see you back, Jodi. That is a very cool story about Jeff Galloway.  Very cool he recognized you.

JenRosie - Sorry you're still battling the cold/cough. Taking it easy is probably a good plan.  Does your cough bother you while you're running?

Marco - I don't know what else to say to you every day other than "brrrr" and "good job running through those temps!"  You are hardcore!

RunSaintRun - Did I miss you joining us  in the past few days? Welcome!

PressingOn

SIAR - Sorry about the new shoes.  Can you return them?

Finally PRed!!!

QOTD: Sometimes I get pretty discouraged about the fact that I haven't had a PR at any distance since 2010. Especially when I consider that I trained far more in 2011 and 2012 than I had back when I was setting my PRs. So sometimes I think if I don't get a PR pretty soon I should just quit trying and go to just fun running, but then I keep deciding to give it another shot. Most of the time, though, I really enjoy the training. Then sometimes I think, wow, I spend way too much time thinking about running for a runner of my caliber. Julia, your QOTD is making me think I should seek therapy for these issues...but then again I probably just feel that way since today's a RD. Maybe I'll do some weights or something...

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Pressing...yep, they were Running Warehouse, which was the only reason I took a shot on the size. Great job with the easy feeling mp miles. That's funny about the soap...I haven't had that one! I remember that you like the rain runs, which is a good thing given your locale.

Swift...how do your age graded times compare from recent races to your PRs?

Have any of you guys ever tried shoes by Altra?

Julia1971

Swift, I was PMing someone earlier in the week about my signature and why I only list this year's PRs.  I was telling her that the time would come when I would stop setting PRs, so, I might as well start resetting the clock each year so I wouldn't feel disappointed.  Smile  As we age, the odds of setting PRs gettins smaller and smaller...  I also think sometimes that I think about running way too much considering.  But then again, I can say that about a lot of things...  You are putting in so much work!  Which is its own reward most days I bet.  Enjoy your rest day!

Pressing, I do get taper madness.  For my first or second marathon - I can't remember which - I cut most of my hair off.  LOL!  I cut my own hair normally.  And the morning I decided to trim it, I just kept sniping and sniping until it was very short.  So now, I have a no hair cutting when I'm tapering rule.

Scott, Whoo hoo re the new trail!

SIAR, The shoe gods do seem to be punishing you.  Try to return them maybe?  Other than finding new trails, finding the right show also feels like Christmas.  Have you tried the new Wave Riders?  I like them better than the previous model.  They're not perfect, but it's a very natural feeling shoe.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
                    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Bad Ass

I am assuming there is more to it than this.  If you care to share your training and races from 2010 through now, we might be able to help.  An extra pair of eyes is always good.

QOTD: Sometimes I get pretty discouraged about the fact that I haven't had a PR at any distance since 2010. Especially when I consider that I trained far more in 2011 and 2012 than I had back when I was setting my PRs. So sometimes I think if I don't get a PR pretty soon I should just quit trying and go to just fun running, but then I keep deciding to give it another shot. Most of the time, though, I really enjoy the training. Then sometimes I think, wow, I spend way too much time thinking about running for a runner of my caliber. Julia, your QOTD is making me think I should seek therapy for these issues...but then again I probably just feel that way since today's a RD. Maybe I'll do some weights or something...

I did 4 recovery miles today.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: Hmm, not sure. All my PRs except 5K are from late 2009 (HM and 10K) and 2010 (marathon), so I was only about 3 years younger than I am now. I doubt that age-grading would make most of my recent times times faster relative to those, but even if it did, that wouldn't be much consolation, since I would have expected to be able to set real PRs (not just age-graded ones) for at least a bit longer. What I may have going against me in that regard is my running history. If I was brand-new to running in my 40s, according to Hudson, I could expect to improve gradually for at least 6-7 years. Not sure how previous running history plays into that, iow if the spans of time I ran in my younger years would be subtracted from that 6-7...if so, I may indeed have used them all up, and perhaps my PRs are all behind me...Cry

Oh well, I'm already signed up for 2 marathons, 1 HM and a 10K so far this year, might as well go ahead and run 'em and at least try to PR in some of them...if I'm not successful in any of those attempts, I guess I can try some less common distances. Wink

Finally PRed!!!

Well, you could always poke through my log, though my HM PR isn't in there since it was before I had my Garmin--I do know it was run 4 days after a 22-mile progression run, and my 10K PR was run 2 weeks after the 2009 Berlin Marathon, so maybe those are clues. All my PRs (10K thru marathon) were set in Germany, so that could be something...honestly, I think the phenomenon is weight-related--it seemed my metabolism slowed a lot during the first half of my 40s, and I could no longer eat whatever I wanted during hard training without putting on weight. I noticed at some point in 2012 that my times were very similar to my 2008 times, and my weight was very similar to what I weighed then, too. So I think the next few months will be the test of that, getting now to the point where I just have to lose maybe another 5-8 lb to get close to my PR weight...thanks for the offer of help! Smile

I am assuming there is more to it than this.  If you care to share your training and races from 2010 through now, we might be able to help.  An extra pair of eyes is always good.

I did 4 recovery miles today.

Finally PRed!!!

2009:

2012:

I know the bottom pic is from farther away, but I think even so there is an obvious difference between the two (beside the fact that I have a sponge on my head in one and a pair of lobster claws in the other)...

Bad Ass

I don't think you are that much bigger than in 2009 but maybe you had more definition (more muscle) in 2009.  Weight is not everything.  I was thinner when I did my 5K PR in 2011 and I matched it in late 2012 with more weight.  I'll look through your log this weekend, but I wanted your take as to what are you doing now v. then.  More miles or less miles?  More slow runs or faster?  More trails?

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."