GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Mostly Harmless

Wow, after 7:00 east coast time and no new thread?  Everyone slept in I guess.

I noticed some pain in my toes yesterday after running on the TM.  I don't have any blisters and they aren't overly sensitive to touch so I'm not sure what to think about that.  I have a 5 mile recovery run on the calendar today that I'll take very slow.  My second 20 miler of this cycle is tomorrow morning.  With snow in the forecast I might have to run those in my neighborhood instead of on my trail.  I'm not really enjoying that idea very much but oh well.

Have a great Friday all!

Finally PRed!!!

Morning, Scott! Hope the toes feel better and the recovery run goes well.

SRD for me today.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Just a lonesome slow 3 mile recovery run on the treadmill today.  Just wanted to loosen up the legs a bit after yesterday's long intervals and before tomorrow's 5k.  It has gotten cold again and some nasties are coming in later today, but everything should be moved out by evening.

Come on spring, where are you?

5 miles at over a 9:00 pace.  1F with windchill of -15.  I am a bit sore from the TM yesterday.  The last time I had ANY soreness was in October after the marathon.

Scott--thanks for the start and good luck with the LR tomorrow.  I didn't stray too far from the house this morning.

nts--enjoy the RD.  I probably need one

RVD--good luck with the 5K tomorrow.  Is it a small or big race?

Back to work

RVD--good luck with the 5K tomorrow.  Is it a small or big race?

It is capped at 2000 runners, but last year it only had 1531 and the prior year 1398.  But there is also stuff for kids, namely a 2k and something even shorter for the really young ones.

Julia1971

I did 1:12:00 on the treadmill this morning. That brought me to over 6 hours of hamster wheeling over the last 3 days. I'm hoping the high is in the upper 30s tomorrow so I can do my long run outside... Scott, I spent my time replying to a post on the main board this morning and then had to bolt for the gym. I'm scheduled for 20+ tomorrow too. Is moving your run to Sunday an option? Haven't checked the forecast myself... Swift, Enjoy the rest day!... RVD, still hoping to clear skies (and roads) for you tomorrow... Marco, It sounds like we're all having weird soreness from the treadmill. Hope yours works its way out.

Run the mile you are in.

It is capped at 2000 runners, but last year it only had 1531 and the prior year 1398.  But there is also stuff for kids, namely a 2k and something even shorter for the really young ones.

Wow,I can't imagine that for a 5K.  I have only done one race at any distance with that many participants.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey guys.  Thanks for getting us started Scott.  It's going to be an afternoon run for me...15 miles at easy pace.

Scott...I don't know that I have any advice on achy toes.  Tendonitis maybe?  Hopefully it's nothing and the recovery run will shake it out.  Good luck getting tomorrow's long run in.  Maybe the weather will cooperate for you.

Swift...Have a great rest day.  I bet it's well deserved after your MP miles last night.  I usually find 7-10 mile MP runs to be totally exhausting, and feel like it would take a major miracle to ever run the pace a race.

RVD...That sounds like a good size for a 5k...enough to attract strong runners, but not so many that you'll get penned in.  Good work with the shakeout 3 miler.

Marco...It's gonna be a long winter if we're rooting for Spring already haha.  I try not think about it.  The TM definitely takes a little bit different of a stride, so I'm not surprised you have a little soreness.  Hopefully it'll go away quickly.

Julia...That's a lot of time on the hamster wheel (even for a hamster).  I can see why you're looking forward to getting some outdoor miles in.  After running in the cold, the 30s sound like shorts weather!  20 for you too huh?  I'm feeling left out, although I do have 18 on Sunday.  Have a good work day.

Pressing...Sorry you've got a bug again!  I'm glad you had a nice time scrapbooking.  Great job getting out on the trail to practice.  That should really help to make you more comfortable in the race.  Also, I'm glad my swimming advice worked for you.  Failed swimming advice sounds dangerous!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Mostly Harmless

I did 1:12:00 on the treadmill this morning. That brought me to over 6 hours of hamster wheeling over the last 3 days. I'm hoping the high is in the upper 30s tomorrow so I can do my long run outside... Scott, I spent my time replying to a post on the main board this morning and then had to bolt for the gym. I'm scheduled for 20+ tomorrow too. Is moving your run to Sunday an option? Haven't checked the forecast myself... Swift, Enjoy the rest day!... RVD, still hoping to clear skies (and roads) for you tomorrow... Marco, It sounds like we're all having weird soreness from the treadmill. Hope yours works its way out.

Julia - I might be able to move my run to Sunday.  I only have one thing on my calendar that day.  We are taking my Dad out to eat for his birthday (83!) but that isn't until 4:30 so I'll have plenty of time to get cleaned up after the run. I'm just pretty rigid when it comes to schedules, etc...  I don't like having to juggle things around if I can help it.

A question for all of you more experienced runners:

I'm considering adding a couple miles to my 20 tomorrow.  I've never run more than 20 in training before and I'm curious if any of you folks think there would be anything other than psychological benefits from going 22 instead of 20.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scott...How many weeks into your plan are you?  I think you have about 7 left, right?  Honestly, I don't know that it will really hurt or help you.  I think if you were running higher mileage (not to say you're not running a lot), I'd say yeah, there's benefit to going longer.  I don't say this with a ton of personal experience, other than that I've noted that most training plans that peak in the 80-100 range go into the 22-24 mile long run range, while plans 60 and below don't seem to go over 20.  I don't think you're losing anything physically by not going over 20, but if you think you have something to gain mentally by going 22, then my guess would be that it's okay to try.

How's that for non-committal and useless advice?

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

Scott, I hate changing my schedule, too... I think the real benefit is psychological. Pfitz points out that 22 miles is about the time it'll take you to complete a marathon. So, I'm doing 22 this weekend as my first dress rehearsal. Not what I'll actually wear but practicing taking in gummies, telling myself what to expect at that point in the race, etc. But, I don't plan on going beyond 22 miles this cycle.

SIAR, Have fun with the 15 easy.

I also can't wait to upgrade my phone. Planning to get the Blackberry 10 at the end of the month pending reviews. If it gets panned, I'm thinking it's time to switch to iPhone/Droid.

Run the mile you are in.

Mostly Harmless

Scott...How many weeks into your plan are you?  I think you have about 7 left, right?  Honestly, I don't know that it will really hurt or help you.  I think if you were running higher mileage (not to say you're not running a lot), I'd say yeah, there's benefit to going longer.  I don't say this with a ton of personal experience, other than that I've noted that most training plans that peak in the 80-100 range go into the 22-24 mile long run range, while plans 60 and below don't seem to go over 20.  I don't think you're losing anything physically by not going over 20, but if you think you have something to gain mentally by going 22, then my guess would be that it's okay to try.

How's that for non-committal and useless advice?

Yes, 7 to go.

jackdyl11

Hi all,

I wanted to check in to see how everyone's doing. I've had a pretty terrible two weeks running-wise.  I've been getting pain in my left foot for some time, but I was stupidly just running through it.  It finally got bad enough that I was cutting workouts short or not even starting.  I went to the podiatrist yesterday and he says I have Hallux Limitus, which just means "stiff big toe".  I don't have much range of motion in my big toe, so I'm compensating by rolling my foot outward and pushing off with my smaller toes, which is causing problems.  It didn't sound like the long term prognosis was very good-- sounds like it will keep getting worse until I can't run anymore.  He gave me a pad to wear that is supposed to take the pressure off the outside of my foot and keep my foot from rolling.  His prescription was (1) no running for 3 days to get rid of any inflamation, and then (2) 4 miles every other day until he lets me run more.  Continuing on the path that got me here, I will more likely (1) run today and (2) ignore his other point.  But I'm pretty upset about it.  When I'm not running there isn't any pain, so it is really hard to take time off.  If I can't get my mileage up soon I don't see any point in attempting either Cherry Blossom in April or my marathon on 5/5.  I've spent a long time thinking about those races, imagining hitting the finish line, etc.  I spend a lot of time running or thinking about running, more than anything else except work and sleep and I don't really know what to do with myself at the moment.  Has anyone else been there?  I know I haven't been posting on here for long but any help would be really encouraging.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jack...Wow, so sorry to hear about the diagnosis.  Was the doc a runner?  It seems like if they're not, they can be hyper conservative.  It also didn't sound like he recommended anything to add flexibility to the big toe?  I would think that while you were taking some time off you could do some things to either strengthen or increase the flexibility.    You always have the option for getting a second opinion too.  I wonder if something like a cortisone shot could give you some relief with it for a few months.  Maybe you'll luck out and the pad he gave you will actually make a big difference for you.  We've all struggled with injuries at one point or another, and with as much as running means to all of us, we totally get how tough it is.  It may take some time, but you'll eventually figure out a way make it work for you and to get back to racing as you'd like to.  As for other options, when I had to take a couple months off last year with my PF issue, I started to swim and bike and did my first sprint triathlon.  The running for that was a lot less, so my body tolerated it fine.  Plus, I didn't really lose too much fitness since I was staying active.