JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

Good morning,

Julia--best of luck today....if you're not already finished

Damaris--sounds like a confusing time yesterday

Didn't drink too much because stomach was full last night from all that food.  Hoping to work in the yard some more and go for a run later when it warms up.  Temps are in the mid 40s and I thought about wearing gloves the other morning....in mid-May!

Bad Ass

Morning!  10 miles done with more tonight.

marco, hope your yardwork and the run go well.

Julia, and Sprinkles, good luck!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Mornin' folks. Sorry I've been mostly absent as of late but oldest DS is home from college and we've been having family fun time this weekend. Yesterday I may have slightly bandited my first race. A couple of friends were doing a local open course 20 mile race and I ran out from town to meet them at the half-way point and then paced them through 19 before turning off course and catching up with them at the finish area. I ended up with 14 miles and it was a nice morning for a run though it was hot & sunny by the end.

Today I have 5-10 miles planned after church but it's supposed to be 84 and sunny so I'll either need to carry water or run in town where I can hit drinking fountains.

marco59- Those mid 40's sound beautiful to me right about now. Enjoy your day and hopefully you'll get that run in later today.

Docket_Rocket- Nice work on the early 10 today (I had briefly thought about doing a morning run but decided to just catch up on sleep) I ready about yesterday's "should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque" 10k and I'm glad that one wasn't a goal race for you. Sounds like it was a good one anyway.

Julia- I hope you had a great race this morning and the congestion has cleared up for you. I look forward to hearing how the race went.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Julia1971

Hey all!

Marco, Hope it warmed up a bit and you got your run in without gloves.

D_R, Have fun with the double.

Bruce, It sounds like you're having a great weekend.  Mid-80s already sounds pretty brutal, though.  I would definitely have to take some fluids with me.

I'm not sure my 10K deserves an entire race report.  Nothing all that interesting happened.  So, I think I'll do bullet points and a variety of emoticons...

• Pre-Race.  I woke up with serious sinus pain. Dead  I felt okay yesterday and I guess I forgot that was because I took my last prescription strength decongestant the day before.  I toss and turn for a while but finally decide I need to do something about this.  Against my better judgment, I take a Zyrtec even though sometimes it does make me drowsy and chase that with two Ibuprofen (Shhh!  Don't tell Trent! Disapprove)  I go downstairs and make coffee in hope that the caffeine will counter-act the Zyrtec.  Then, I boil a pot of water and inhale steam for a good 20 minutes and follow that with a nasal rinse.  I leave the house feeling okay...  I get to the race super early so I have no problem with packet pick-up, port-a-potties, or bag check.  I hang out in my car since it's drizzly out.  As I sit there, I begin to feel worse and worse.  I consider a DNS but we all know I didn't do that.  Roll eyes  I find some of my running club teammates before the race.  Most of them are feeling confident so I try to fed off of that.
            • The Race.  Having gone out too fast during my last few races, I tried to keep myself in the 6:50-7:00 range for the first two miles.  The course would also be unkind to fast starters - it was flat and then downhill for the first half and then uphill and flat for the second.  I did well reigning myself in and my first three splits (Garmin, not course) were 6:53, 6:48, and 6:40.  There was some jockeying with runners during the race but not much.  I was mostly just trying to run my race.  My breathing was labored from the start.  I was pretty much getting all my air from my mouth.  Sad  I must have sounded awful to those running around me.  We hit the uphill portion and I slow down.  The crowd was pretty supportive and at times really spurred me on.  I even high-fived some kids - my new favorite thing to do at races.  My last three splits were 6:48, 7:21, and 7:09. 
            • Post-Race.  Official time was 43:44.  Not a PR but my second fastest 10K.  Approve  My PR was set on a PR course - flat and downhill most of the way - so I'm actually pretty happy with the time.  I was also second master's female by 11 seconds and second in my AG...  As I was crossing the finish line, I got what I like to call the "rock star" finish - the race director announced my name, city, and my club affiliation.  Cool  I meet up with teammates and almost all of them had great races, which was great to hear...  As I was in line for post-race food, a woman congratulates me and says she recognized me from the Nike Half Marathon.  I'm memorable!  Blush  I'm sure it's the afro-buffs, still it's cool to think I might becoming a runner people take notice of.

Run the mile you are in.

Bad Ass

Bruce, hope your run goes well.

Julia, great job!  Second fastest 10K is good!

Blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey runners!  I just got done with 10 and some change, and my first shirtless run of the year (gotta even out my freckles, ya know).  I helped someone move into my dad's place this morning, so I was a little fatigued, but nothing too bad.  It was my first double digit run since my marathon!  Progress - ha.

Marco...Wow, hard to believe you're still having those chilly temps.  I'm sure you'll be done with them soon enough.  Hope you get a nice run in later.

Docket...Would this be a dh double?  Nice job on the 10 earlier.  Sorry about yesterday's frustrating 10k.  I'm used to seeing the leaders have to deal with some of that crap, but you'd think they could mark the course better for the entire field!

Bruce...Glad you're enjoying the time with your son.  If there's ever an excusable time to bandit a race, that sounds pretty close to it to me.  Nice weekend of mileage.

Julia...Ha, I like the emoticon progression report.  Very creative.  That was some drug cocktail you had going this morning.  Do you have a preference between the Zyrtec and Claritin?  I think the latter works better for me.  Great job being disciplined with your race strategy in the first couple miles.  Those early splits before the hill are awesome.  Having your second fastest 10k on a hard course and floating around in a semi-drug induced coma (the other part of the coma being induced purely from feeling crummy) is actually really great.  It was nice of you to high five the kids and spread your germs around too haha.  Congratulations on the AG and masters finish too - always a nice bonus.  Two questions:  1) what is and afro-buff (as in do you occasionally puff your hair out)?, and 2) did you have a nice time with your Ragnar teammates last night?

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971- It sounds like you had a really good race considering how you felt when you woke up this morning. Kudos on sticking with it and starting out smart with the easier pace on the first couple of miles (that is SO difficult to actually put into practice).

So_Im_a_Runner- Nice job on the double digit run this morning. I really felt incredibly guilty in the bandit role and would have never done it except this was such a low key race run on an open course.

I got in 10 miles this afternoon in the steamy conditions and it was a tough run. It was sunny and 86 with some gusty south winds ... I didn't check the DP temp but it was supposed to be 68 as per NOAA forecast. I carried water and actually had to stop and refill after about 6 miles into the run. (BTW, I ended up shirtless as well though it was trying to get some evaporative cooling) I have just a slight headache now so I know I pushed myself a bit too much for the conditions.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Julia1971

Bruce, Thanks!  I really did have to hold myself back in the early miles.  My brain has been writing checks my legs can't cash in races these days.

SIAR, I prefer Zyrtec because I find it usually doesn't make me drowsy.  But, every now and then it does which is why I was so worries about taking it in the morning as opposed to before bed...  2) I did have a nice time with them.  I actually ended up talking with a lot of other guests at the party, though.  There was a runner (host)/non-runner (host's girlfriend) dynamic going on and I was trying to bridge the groups.  I'm actually headed out for another team building evening in a few minutes.  1) I call my "pig-tails" "afro puffs" when I don't tuck them into the hair tie since they end up being puffs of curly afro.  Here's an old photo that shows the puffs:

Julia...Ha, I like the emoticon progression report.  Very creative.  That was some drug cocktail you had going this morning.  Do you have a preference between the Zyrtec and Claritin?  I think the latter works better for me.  Great job being disciplined with your race strategy in the first couple miles.  Those early splits before the hill are awesome.  Having your second fastest 10k on a hard course and floating around in a semi-drug induced coma (the other part of the coma being induced purely from feeling crummy) is actually really great.  It was nice of you to high five the kids and spread your germs around too haha.  Congratulations on the AG and masters finish too - always a nice bonus.  Two questions:  1) what is and afro-buff (as in do you occasionally puff your hair out)?, and 2) did you have a nice time with your Ragnar teammates last night?

Run the mile you are in.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Bruce...Adjusting to the rising temps is definitely a process.  I even carried water with me today, which is a concession I don't usually make but should more often.  In the long run, I think you can get a lot of benefit from running in the heat, so long as you adjust your pacing and even your workout choices.  I don't know why, but I've always had it in my head that one day I'll do Badwater.  Maybe that's how I rationalize doing some of the hot weather runs - training for the distant future.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

Julia, I love that picture!  So focused!

As to adjusting for weather, I find my HRM is crucial during the Summer (I mean, during our 10 months of Summer Joking).  I don't go over 145-148 no matter what.  That adjusts for the hot weather and/or bad humidity on its own.

Blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...Those pigtails are awesome.  I have to admit, I'd be totally socially unacceptable and try to squeeze them all the time...I mean, how could you resist?   It sounds like you'll have a nice group for your relay.  If not, I'm sure there will be some dark/late night portions where you can just nudge somebody out of the support vehicle!  Enjoy your evening.

Time for me to get some salmon on the grill - yum!

9.42 done earlier and got a lot accomplished around the house.  It was a good day.

Julia--congratulations on the 2nd place finish and that is a great time!

Bad Ass

6 additional miles today.

Blog