Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 5/2/13 (Read 13 times)

Bad Ass

marco, how's your wife doing?

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

not too swift- I guess it all depends on how quickly you recover. I seem to bounce back really quick (even though I'm 46) because I raced my 1st & 2nd marathons last year separated by 7 weeks. I took 2 weeks as "recovery" ... trained for 3 weeks ... then took a 2 week taper. I ended up with a PR of 13 minutes on that second race last fall. This time around I have 8 weeks between so its a luxury Wink

CompetitiveChik- I enjoy training alone but also have found it good to get together with a small group. Sometimes I benefit from them keeping me at a slow enough pace for recovery runs and other times we'll end up challenging each other to run quicker. I don't know if this would work for you but I've also done the "pick a friend up mid-run" by arranging a meeting place/time. This worked out great with trying to coordinate our different training schedules because I was logging more miles but if I met them after 8-10 miles alone their fresh legs would cause me to pick it up when I'm getting a bit tired.

Docket_Rocket- Thanks but I'm rarely on FB anyway.

Just B.S.- I already responded to your other note, but sorry you're adding to the emotional roller coaster these days.

PressingOn- Yep, my opinion of melting is BAD. Thanks, it was great seeing my friend and we're going to try to schedule some runs together over the summer months. (He's speedier than I am but in preparing for Leadville he's dialed back on speed for this training cycle)

jackdyl11- Funny but I had the same problem finding the "feel" for my GMP all the way through training up to my race last weekend.. However, you are WAAAY faster than me and I would be thrilled to run at your pace for a 5k. Wowzers!

Train smart ... race smarter.

DR - You're nicer to your cats than we are.  We're just planning to give them a big bowl of food and water.  But don't tell anyone!

You might want to stick out more than one bowl of water, in case one gets knocked over or some such.  Food, they can eat off the floor; water, not so much.

Brains aint me forte

Scott, a 5K on Friday?  I assume it's at night?  have fun!

Actually it is during the day.  The race is held at the agency I work for.  It's an annual event to promote health and fitness, so I actually get to run a 5K on the clock.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

CompetitiveChik

CompetitiveChik- I enjoy training alone but also have found it good to get together with a small group. Sometimes I benefit from them keeping me at a slow enough pace for recovery runs and other times we'll end up challenging each other to run quicker. I don't know if this would work for you but I've also done the "pick a friend up mid-run" by arranging a meeting place/time. This worked out great with trying to coordinate our different training schedules because I was logging more miles but if I met them after 8-10 miles alone their fresh legs would cause me to pick it up when I'm getting a bit tired.

I did that for my marathon back in jan. I had a friend meet me at mile 16 to get me through to 21. it was great and really helped break things up so it seemed shorter rather than longer

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Bad Ass

Better yet!

Actually it is during the day.  The race is held at the agency I work for.  It's an annual event to promote health and fitness, so I actually get to run a 5K on the clock.

Blog

Bad Ass

I also put something blocking the bathroom doors so they remain open in case they need to drink from the toilet.  If they ran out of water, they know where to find it.

You might want to stick out more than one bowl of water, in case one gets knocked over or some such.  Food, they can eat off the floor; water, not so much.

Blog

marco, how's your wife doing?

She's better thanks.  It's a problem that she has had ever since I have known her.  However, our health is much better here than it was in Texas.

Our cat does well on her own for days at a time.  Extra food and water....AND extra litter box.

jackdyl11

I didn't want to mention this part! That's our plan B (although RVD, you're right, and we do put down a couple bowls).

I also put something blocking the bathroom doors so they remain open in case they need to drink from the toilet.  If they ran out of water, they know where to find it.

Julia1971

Checking in quickly. Had meetings all morning and still haven't had lunch. Sad

Marco, I hope to cools down a bit for you, too. And then heats back up by Monday. Smile

Scott, Good luck tomorrow! Two races in a weekend is pretty hard core.

Bruce, I've used Pfitz in the past and will this cycle, too. I tinkered with it the last time - cur the distance of some of the long runs and dis the report runs as cruise intervals. I think I'm going to go back to what he advises. Apparently, he knows more than I do about this stuff. Are you a Pfitz fan, too?

Swift, Sound si me you paced those intervals well.

CC, The group might be just what you need. I never really liked the idea either but like my current club a lot.

D_R, Safe travels!

Just B.S., That is shocking. When I read pancreatic cancer I thought it might be very bad prognosis. Very sad.

Pressing, You could also take Nuun instead of salt. LOL! I actually did plop some Nuun tabs at 80 degree Boston. Not sure if it helped but... Fun is good. I'm not going to argue against fun.

Jack, You'll figure it out. I would think you'll have other people to pace off this weekend, too.  Yes, calculating based on goal rather than current.  I don't think I can go by calculators.  When I plug my 10 miler times in, I'm already sub-3:15.  Sad

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
                      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

thinkin about glory days

An easy 5 miles for me this afternoon.  It looks like I won't be doing either the 5k or the 10 miler later this month because I have a cub scout camping trip that weekend.  I really need to find a race that I can look forward to.

Julia, I hope you enjoyed your recovery run.  I hear what you are saying about the weather.  I'm already feeling it on these afternoon runs I've been doing.  Time to start waking up early again!

marco, have a nice 5 or 6.

Scott, enjoy the rest day.

Bruce, sounds like your recovery is going very well.

NTS, have fun running and drinking with the group.

CC, have a nice rest day.

Docket, enjoy your rest day too.

Beth, that's terrible news about your friend's ex.  So young.

PO, I'm sorry the weather is not cooperating for your race this weekend.  Don't forget that all of the hard work that you have been doing will pay off in your fall race too.

Jack, sounds like you're ready for Sunday.

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

Julia1971- Yep I'm a fan of Pfitz, though this past cycle was my first with his plan. I settled on the 18/70 but added in an easy recovery run on Mondays instead of cross/rest. I found that putting that recovery run immediately after Sunday's long run did my legs a whole lot of good and got me ready for the week's workouts. Other than that, I pretty much ran it to the letter - though I still need to work on slowing down recovery runs. I'm interested to see how much I can gain over the next few training cycles using the same plan.

hilltopper91- Nice job on the 5 easy miles today. Bummer that the camping trip coincides with the races, but May is a good race month (at least around me) so hopefully you can find a replacement race to shoot for.

Train smart ... race smarter.

I took the big guy on the left for a slow 3.57 mile run

EDIT--no, the truck didn't go with me...Casper the Boxer did.  I forgot that I changed the avatar

CompetitiveChik

forgot to mention too that I should be gettin my test shoes today. EEEEEEK (insert dancing banana's here)

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon