Marathoner Dailies

2013 Parks Half Marathon (Read 28 times)

Julia1971

Archived by author.  See training log.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Bad Ass

Julia, I think you did a great job.  You have to remember you are doing pretty high mileage and you didn't taper for this race, no?  Those things will affect your performance on race day.  How does the HM pace compare to your GMP now?

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

Julia, I think you did a great job.  You have to remember you are doing pretty high mileage and you didn't taper for this race, no?  Those things will affect your performance on race day.  How does the HM pace compare to your GMP now?

Thanks, D_R!  Yeah, I'm running a pretty high load.  Last week was a cutback week, though, in that I only ran one mid-week medium run instead of two.  LOL!  My legs felt pretty good, though.  I feel like it was my endurance that failed me today which makes me think you're right and I just got tired or dehydration got the best of me...  Today's HM pace is about my goal MP.  (Gulp).

Julia- Like I said in the dailies, don't fret much over this race. I know you're disappointed but remember that you're in the midst of a serious Pfitz cycle right now and this race was without a proper taper. His plan really does a number to maximize physiological adaptations from the workouts. That means you're body is continually being challenged to adapt and recover. Without a real taper, you wont be able to hit peak performance in a race (especially a HM) Docket is right as well, having less sleep than normal and potentially being a bit dehydrated will sap you. Rest for now and make sure you get enough to eat (including protein) to recoop for the upcoming week's workouts. I felt the exact same way during last cycle (and right now as well) but I'll trust the plan and how a well-executed taper will bring it all together for the goal race.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Julia1971

Julia- Like I said in the dailies, don't fret much over this race. I know you're disappointed but remember that you're in the midst of a serious Pfitz cycle right now and this race was without a proper taper. His plan really does a number to maximize physiological adaptations from the workouts. That means you're body is continually being challenged to adapt and recover. Without a real taper, you wont be able to hit peak performance in a race (especially a HM) Docket is right as well, having less sleep than normal and potentially being a bit dehydrated will sap you. Rest for now and make sure you get enough to eat (including protein) to recoop for the upcoming week's workouts. I felt the exact same way during last cycle (and right now as well) but I'll trust the plan and how a well-executed taper will bring it all together for the goal race.

Thanks, Bruce.  I've been able to run PRs w/o a mini-taper in the past so I'm surprised that I raced so poorly today.  Sorry but I only have 3.5 more hours to pout.  Smile  I have a feeling I'll sleep like a baby tonight, I'm so tired.

Julia - Get a good night's sleep, wake up tomorrow and move on.  I know this was not what you were looking for, but I see at least a couple positives.  First of all, you ran 10 miles at a pretty damn good pace.  If that had been a tempo run in the middle of a hard training cycle, you would have been very happy with the result.  Second, you really battled in the last three miles.  You could have walked or completely cracked, but you held it together and finished with respect.  I know you were embarrassed and disappointed, but you worked hard to finish strong when you had nothing left in the tank.  That shows courage and mental toughness.  Well, at least that is what I told myself when I finished with almost the exact same time and splits earlier this year.  We really are training twins.  Here were my splits in April.  Look familiar?

6:55, 7:08, 7:10, 7:19, 7:10, 7:13 ,7:19, 7:17, 7:37 ,7:56, 8:19, 8:29, 8:32

Total: 1:39:49

I have been very impressed with your training.  You have been running tons of miles and have been hitting your paces. Take a look through your log, but I don't think your find a weakness. I think you just had a rough day.  You went out a bit too fast, the heat and humidity probably took more of a toll than your realized, you didn't sleep well and you didn't really taper.  All of these things combined to make a PR attempt difficult, but you went for it anyway and suffered in the end.  I say, no worries.  Move on to the next training run and leave this race in the rearview mirror.  

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Julia1971

Thanks, TakeAHike.  Wow, we really do have parallel running lives!  I did have a good 10 miles.  In fact, my post-race Facebook update read something like - "I ran a great 10K today.  Unfortunately, the race was a half marathon."  Smile  I'm still thinking I probably should have pushed those tempo run a bit more this summer but it's really too late to do anything about that.  I have another race in a month and hopefully, will have a much different result.

Mostly Harmless

Hi Julia!  I'm sorry it has taken me so long to comment on your race!  You've gotten a lot of good feedback and you know my opinion isn't worth much so I won't chime in.  I'll just say that I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you hoped but congrats on putting in a great effort and for not quitting even when you knew that you wouldn't reach your goal.  I don't have a lot of racing experience, but I have enough to know that it isn't easy to keep pushing hard when you can see your goal is beyond reach.  That happened to me in Baltimore last year and I remember the feeling too well.  Thanks for posting a very well written RR too!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                  Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

Scott, Thanks!  It was a good effort.  I gotta lot of fight in me.  You may notice how I write about wanting to quit but never actually do.  Wink  I still managed 5th in my AG in a fairly competitive field so I'm guessing other people struggled, too.

Hey Julia, talk to me about the correlation between  dehydration and ear stuffiness. I've experienced this  (extremely unpleasant ) sensation several times this year for the first time, twice on days that were brutally hot and once on a not so hot but wicked humid day. On each of those runs I was burning pure fat so I attributed it more to that than dehydration, or perhaps some combination of the two.

Julia1971

My BFF would frequently complain about her ears clogging on long runs. It got so bad that she saw a doctor and they put tubes in her ears. Didn't help. Then one day, it happened to me. After some Googling, I found an article that mentioned an association between the two. If I can find it again, I'll link to it. It seems to hold up for me, though. If my ears clog, it's probably on a long run on a hot day.

Edited to add:

LiveStrong article about the issue for tri-athletes.

Anecdotal evidence on Slowtwitch.

Hey Julia, talk to me about the correlation between  dehydration and ear stuffiness. I've experienced this  (extremely unpleasant ) sensation several times this year for the first time, twice on days that were brutally hot and once on a not so hot but wicked humid day. On each of those runs I was burning pure fat so I attributed it more to that than dehydration, or perhaps some combination of the two.