Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 2/12/13 - Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Read 12 times)

Julia1971

I made it!  I overestimated how fast I run 15 miles and made it into work at about 8:30am.  I realized my miscalculation pretty quickly into the run and really pushed the pace at the end despite feeling pretty worn down.  When I got to the office, I showered and dressed in a flash, then chugged some chocolate milk and crackers before the class.  We're on lunch break now.  Here's a picture I snapped of the Jefferson Memorial on the run in:

Just B.S., Have working on those gills.

Swift, Have a good recovery day.

Scott, It was really like out today.  I went with a thin long-sleeve and light weight tights it was great.  Probably could have worn shorts even.

D_R., Glad you're feeling better.

Jack, Welcome back!  So glad to hear you're running again.  Love the picture of the kiddos in your av, too.

RVD, Oh, I could really go for some Girl Scout cookies right now.

SIAR, My sister is a doctor and she did a stint in the ER.  She told me they call that a "bagel cut" in the ER because so many people slice their palm cutting bagels.  Hope it heals quickly.

Run the mile you are in.

PressingOn

Hi all!  Group run today.  I hope.  Ds was complaining about not feeling good again last night and early this a.m..  By the time the bus came he figured he felt good enough to try it as long as I promised to come get him if he felt like he needed to go home.  So, if he makes it through my group run time then I'll run.  Not sure what I'll be doing yet as I'll get my instruction from coach once I'm there.

Julia - Great job on your run today!  I'm sure everyone in your meeting appreciated that you had time for a shower and breakfast.  You smell better and your stomach won't be loud and unruly.

Beth - Have a good swim today! And Run!

Swift - Enjoy your SRD.

Scott - Hope your dd has a great game. I bet a lot of Senior stuff is quite bitter sweet, huh? Good luck on that 11 miler.

RVD - LOL about the Girl Scout Cookies for bfst. You only live once, right? And you ran today. You're good.

Damaris - Glad you're feeling better today.

Jackdyl - Glad the foot is doing better. Hope it continues to heal so you can get those marathon plans accomplished to your satisfaction.
      It can be hard to read about other people running when you are laid up. I would imagine we've all been there a time or two. Well, I have.

SIAR - Be careful with those knives! Well, it could be worse. You could have stabbed your foot and then you wouldn't be able to run. Hope it doesn't bother you too much today. Maybe the endorphins will mask the pain somewhat? Glad you enjoyed the not white soup. Yeah, brown taco seasoning and brown/black beans will trump white ranch dressing anytime. Wink My dh and I find it easy to overeat this soup because it doesn't seem like you're eating much until you realize you are stuffed.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

And I'm spent!  Threshold run, 13.35 mi total:

3mi easy

15min MP (6:40, 6:47, 6:47 pace)/1min recovery jog

15min HMP (6:23, 6:23, 6:22 pace)/1min recovery jog

15min 10k(6:02, 6:11, bailed)

3mi easy

I'm a little  bummed that I didn't finish out the last 3 minutes of the 10k pace section, but I bargained so hard with myself to hit the pace in the second 10k mile that I was just done.  I was also a little too fast on all the other paces, so that hurt me at the end (should have been 6:52, 6:26, 6:05).  I guess that just shows me how important it is to hit my marathon pace right from the start if I'm going to meet my goal in April.

Julia...yikes, cutting it close there!  Love the picture with the nice blue sky and clouds.  I'm sure after a while it gets mundane, but what a neat place to run.  I meant to ask you...do you do cutback weeks?  Your mileage is huge, but it seems like you never take it under 80.  I'm still thinking of doing 20% less on every 4th week.  As for my cut...I sure wish I was slicing a bagel, I think I could have handled that.  These frozen sausage patties (yumm for you, right haha) were really stuck and I was pushing super hard on the knife when it slipped.  It hurts in my wrist and fingers too...not cool.

Pressing...Hope you're able to get your group run in today.  Your little guy seems to always be battling some kind of bug...good for him for trying to make it to school though.  I didn't feel too badly about eating a lot of soup.  It seems like most everything in there is pretty good for you, with the exception of the ground beef maybe.  I think you were right about the endorphins...hand was pretty good on the run but is throbbing now.  I may have to break down and take something, which I never do.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Mostly Harmless

Pressing - Fingers crossed that ds remains healthy and your group run happens.

SIAR - Awesome run! Well done indeed!

OK, headed out the door for my 11. Temp gauge says 56 and the sun is shining. Yes, I'm bragging about it!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

fake it till you make it

Julia Nice work on getting the run into work- and another great photo! Did you get any King Cake?

BS how was the pool?

NTS enjoy the rest! I forgot about Run Lola Run- I think I remember liking that soundtrack. I’ll have to check that out again.

Scott running outside in shorts!!?? I long for that day! Hope your daughter’s game goes well and the ankle holds up for the next game.Enjoy the 11 miles.

RVD glad the hammie is cooperating. I didn't order any girl scout cookies this year. Someone brought some in to share at work and I was wondering if they’ve changed the recipes to make them healthier- the tagalongs just weren't as yummy as I remember. As in, I didn't have the urge to eat one box all in one sitting.

Jack Glad to see you back posting/running. Totally understand the frustration, and how tough it can be to be around runners when you can’t run.

SIAR Ouch. Really, OUCH! I guess the upside is that if they were frozen patties hopefully there were no live bacteria to cause a problem in the hand. And what a smokin' fast run today.

Pressing hope your son feels well and you can make it to the group run.

I did my workout indoors today. 2 mile warmup & 2 cooldown on the track. On the treadmill 3 @ HMP, 1 mile recovery, another 3 @ HMP. It felt pretty good, but it would make me feel a lot more confident if I could do it outside with changing terrain/weather. Just can’t get good footing on the ice slick that seems to have overrun our town. Hoping March brings a big thaw and good footing.

fake it till you make it

I'm loving all the playlists shared- keep 'em coming, I need new stuff! Here's my very long list of what's on my iPod right now. Not sure if I'll edit for race day or just leave as is and skip around to fit my mood.

Feel free to make fun of the songs, there are lots of embarrassing ones on there!Blush

alejandro- Lady GaGa
              All Is Not Lost- OK Go
              All Is Not Lost [Live at St Olaf's: Northfield, MN, 10/8/10]- OK Go
              All Through The Night- Cyndi Lauper
              Another One Bites The Dust- Queen
              anthem- Pitbull ft. Lil Jon
              Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing- Chris Isaak
              Back From Kathmandu- OK Go
              Bad romance- Lady GaGa
              Be My Lover- La Bouche
              Been Caught Stealing- Jane's Addiction
              Before The Earth Was Round- OK Go
              Birdhouse In Your Soul- They Might Be Giants
              Blow- Ke$ha
              Blow Me (One Last Kiss)- P!nk
              Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
              Born This Way- Lady GaGa
              Boys Don't Cry- The Cure
              Buenas Tardes Amigo- Ween
              Can't Keep Johnny Down- They Might Be Giants
              Canajoharie- They Might Be Giants
              Celebration- They Might Be Giants
              Centerfold- J. Geils Band
              Cherry Bomb- The Runaways
              Closer- Nine Inch Nails
              Come Out and Play- The Offspring
              Diamond Ring- Bon Jovi
              The Distance- Cake
              Don't Shit Where You Eat- Ween
              Don't Stop Believin' (Glee Cast Version)- Glee Cast
              Down by the Water- PJ Harvey
              The Edge of Glory- Lady GaGa
              End Love- OK Go
              Eye of the Tiger- Survivor
              F**kin' Perfect- P!nk
              The Face Of Love- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan With Eddie Vedder
              Fame- Irene Cara
              Fight for Your Right- Beastie Boys
              The Final Countdown- Europe
              Firework- Katy Perry
              Fix You- Coldplay
              Girl On Fire (Acoustic) This Girl Is On Fire- Alicia Keys
              Girlfriend- Avril Lavigne
              Girls- Beastie Boys
              Girls Just Want To Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper
              Give It Away- Red Hot Chili Peppers
              Gives You Hell- The All-American Rejects
              Gloria (Single Version)- Laura Branigan
              God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman- Barenaked Ladies & Sarah McLachlan
              Haze Of Love- CAKE
              Hey Ya!- OutKast
              Hot Blooded- Foreigner
              I'll Be There For You- Bon Jovi
              I'll Be Your Man- The Black Keys
              I Gotta Feeling- The Black Eyed Peas
              I Hate Myself for Loving You- Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
              I Just Had Sex- (feat. Akon) The Lonely Island
              I Wanna Go- Britney Spears
              I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe- OK Go
              I Will Survive- Cake
              If You're Into It- Flight of the Conchords
              Istanbul (Not Constantinople)- They Might Be Giants
              It's My Life- Bon Jovi
              Just a Girl- No Doubt
              Just Dance- Lady GaGa & Colby O'Donis
              Kick Ass- MIKA & Redone
              Kyrie- Mr. Mister
              Last Leaf- OK Go
              Lay Your Hands On Me- Bon Jovi
              The Lazy Song- Bruno Mars
              Let's Talk About Sex- Salt-N-Pepa
              Livin' On A Prayer- Bon Jovi
              The Long Road- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Eddie Vedder
              Lose Yourself- Eminem
              Louisiana Land (Bonus Track)- OK Go
              Love Is a Battlefield- Pat Benatar
              Love the Way You Lie- Eminem
              Mozart: Requiem In D Minor, K 626 - 2. Kyrie Eleison Sara Mingardo, Bryn Terfel, Etc.; Claudio Abbado: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus
              Mozart: Requiem In D Minor, K 626 - 3. Sequentia: Dies Irae Sara Mingardo, Bryn Terfel, Etc.; Claudio Abbado: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus
              Mozart: Requiem In D Minor, K 626 - 5. Sequentia: Rex Tremendae Sara Mingardo, Bryn Terfel, Etc.; Claudio Abbado: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus
              Mozart: Requiem In D Minor, K 626 - 7. Sequentia: Confutatis Maledictis Sara Mingardo, Bryn Terfel, Etc.; Claudio Abbado: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus
              Mozart: Requiem In D Minor, K 626 - 8. Sequentia: Lacrimosa Dies Illa Sara Mingardo, Bryn Terfel, Etc.; Claudio Abbado: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus
              Mr. Mastodon Farm- CAKE
              Mrs. Robinson- The Lemonheads
              my chick bad- Ludacris
              Needing/Getting- OK Go
              Never Say Goodbye- Bon Jovi
              Never There- CAKE
              Not Afraid- Eminem
              Now That We Found Love- Heavy D & The Boyz
              on a boat- The Lonely Island
              One Moment In Time- Whitney Houston
              One More- Superchick
              Party Rock Anthem- (feat. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock) LMFAO
              Perfect Day- Hoku
              The Power Of Equality- Red Hot Chili Peppers
              Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)- The Offspring
              Pumped Up Kicks- Foster the People
              Push It- Salt-N-Pepa
              Raise Your Glass- P!nk
              Red Solo Cup- Toby Keith
              Remember the Name- Fort Minor featuring Styles of Beyond
              Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle- CAKE
              Rolling in the Deep- ADELE
              Rumour Has It- ADELE
              Runaway- Bon Jovi
              School's Out- Alice Cooper
              Sexy and I Know It- LMFAO
              SexyBack- Justin Timberlake
              shots- LMFAO
              Sister Christian- Night Ranger
              Skyfall- ADELE
              Skyscrapers- OK Go
              Slow Ride- Foghat
              So What- P!nk
              Somebody That I Used to Know- (feat. Kimbra) Gotye
              Someone Like You- ADELE
              Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
              Starships- Nicki Minaj
              Stereo Hearts- (feat. Adam Levine) Gym Class Heroes
              Stronger- Kanye West
              Stronger- (What Doesn't Kill You) Kelly Clarkson
              Suck My Kiss- Red Hot Chili Peppers
              Sweet Caroline- Neil Diamond
              Sweet Home Alabama- Lynyrd Skynyrd
              telephone- Lady GaGa
              That's Not My Name- The Ting Tings
              They're Red Hot- Red Hot Chili Peppers
              This Girl Is On Fire - Alicia Keys & Nicki Minaj Top 100 Hits
              This Too Shall Pass- OK Go
              This Too Shall Pass (Passion Pit Sunday Hangover Remix) [Bonus Track]- OK Go
              'Till I Collapse- Eminem & Nate Dogg
              Till the World Ends- Britney Spears
              Time After Time- Cyndi Lauper
              Toxic- Britney Spears
              Under Pressure- Queen
              Violet- Hole
              Viva la Vida- Coldplay
              Voodoo Lady- Ween
              Walk Away- Tom Waits
              Walk On By- CAKE
              Walk This Way- Run-DMC
              The Warrior- Scandal
              We're Not Gonna Take It- Twisted Sister
              We Trying to Stay Alive- Wyclef Jean
              We Will Rock You- Queen
              When Will You Die- They Might Be Giants
              When You're Falling (Remix)- Afro Celt Sound System
              White Knuckles- OK Go
              Why Don't You Get a Job?- The Offspring
              Womanizer- Britney Spears
              Wtf?- OK Go
              You Can Call Me Al- Paul Simon
              You Don't Know- 50 Cent, Cashis, Eminem & Lloyd Banks
              You Give Love A Bad Name- Bon Jovi
              You Know My Name- Chris Cornell
              You Part The Waters- CAKE
              You Probably Get That a Lot- They Might Be Giants
              Your Racist Friend- They Might Be Giants

jackdyl11

Pressing - Very happy that your son is feeling better.  Did he make it through the day?  Hope you got your group run in.

SIAR - Nice run!! Yet another workout that I see on here that I wouldn't attempt. Good job keeping the miles consistent within each rep, too.  You were probably smart to cut it off when you were bargaining with yourself, especially if you were going a little too fast early on.  Howd the hand affect you?

Jen - Awesome job on the treadmill.  I luckily don't have to deal with much here in VA, but it generally has to be icy to drive me inside (unless it just won't stop raining).  Treadmills are not my friend.  You may be different, but I'm happier when I can get a whole workout done on the treadmill -- it takes way more discipline for me.  Once I get outside where it is a little cooler and there's scenery, I'm usually faster.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jen...Frozen so no infection...that's the kind of thinking I'd expect from a health care professional lol. Great run for you today. Those HMP miles are brutal in my book. I hope your roads clear soon. Even though it's been cold here it's been runnable on the roads at least.

Jack...you could crush a workout like mine was. My hand didnt bother my run but hurts like heck now. Like you, I'm slower on the TM too, and by a good bit.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

PressingOn

Hi all!  Well, no call from ds (yippee!) so I made it to group run.  It was fun today.  Coach had brightly colored dots she used to mark the course every 800 for a half mile.  We ran easy for the half mile out and then picked up the pace at every dot until the effort was a perceived 9 out of 10. Well, that's what everyone else had to do.  I started at gmp and upped it until I felt I was working moderately hard.  I tried not to smile too much as I cruised along feeling good and the other's were huffing and puffing.  Lol.  Actually, it was hard to hold back the pace while everybody was zipping past me.  And of course, one of her dots got stolen.  Yep, when none of us were looking someone scooped up one purple dot off the trail.  Not sure what they think they're gonna do with that one purple dot...??

SIAR - Sounds like you had a good run even without that last 3 minutes on pace.  Okay, if the frozen aspect didn't keep bacteria away promise you'll go to the doctor if your hand turns black or green or some other odd color, okay?  Wink

Scott - Have a good sunny run!

JenRosie - Sorry you had to take the workout indoors again. Good job getting it done despite. How long did you spend writing out your playlist? That's a lot of songs.

Jackdyl - I agree about tm's. I'm faster outdoors also and like SIAR, by quite a bit.  I'm not sure how much is my tm calibration being off verses how much is me and my mental state on the tm.

Mostly Harmless

Funny thing happened on my run today.  I'm cruising down this trail and I run across this purple dot....

Well maybe not but it was a nice run anyway. I ran a little too fast but I can live with that. Off to fix dinner and then some high school basketball. Have a good night all!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

fake it till you make it

JenRosie - Sorry you had to take the workout indoors again. Good job getting it done despite. How long did you spend writing out your playlist? That's a lot of songs.

Oh, heavens no! Copied and pasted from the iTunes playlist, not about to type that out! Sounds like you rocked that workout, even if Scott was stealing the purple dots!

Julia1971

I forgot to say, I didn't get any King Cake.  Sad  I had a chance during the lunch break but decided to go out for actual food.

Funny thing happened on my run today.  I'm cruising down this trail and I run across this purple dot....

LOL!

Pressing, It sounds like you had a fun runs.

JenRosie, Thanks for the list.  I recognize a lot of those songs but there are quite a few that I don't.  Looking forward to listening to some of them.

SIAR, That's still a quality workout...  I'm not off by too much - maybe a few miles here and there.  Pfitz doesn't cut mileage all that much from week-to-week.  I'm not sure where I am in the plan anymore since I'm extending the hard training and shortening my taper.  And I didn't do any tune up races which would have led to "mini tapers", but the spread for the 4 weeks before the taper is only 10 miles/week.  The shortest mileage week is 74-78 and the longest is 86.

Run the mile you are in.

PressingOn

Well maybe not but it was a nice run anyway. I ran a little too fast but I can live with that. Off to fix dinner and then some high school basketball. Have a good night all!

Big grin  I miss the laughing emoticon.