Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 1/13/13 - Good Luck Racers! (Read 199 times)

Just B.S.

Hello dailies!! Can't remember but I don't think I had time to post again yesterday.

It was a long day starting with pool at 7:30, heading across the border (a 1.5 hour drive for us)  to pick up running

goodies and other stuff we had ordered, lunch, shopping, get home walking the dog 2 miles and finally home

for dinner around 5pm.

Today I had planned on doing 15 LSD miles today. However I am a big believer in an adaptive type of training

week where the schedule plays to your strengths depending on how you feel that day.

After an easy warm up of 2 miles I realized that I had a lot of energy today so the plan changed  to become

a pace run.  In total 10.30 miles in 1:36 with an elevation climb of over 450 feet, this included the warmup time

of  2 miles and a 0.6 mile cool down  .

I got to the least hilly section around the 7.5 mark, mostly rollers and had a 15 minute stretch where I was

holding a 8:10 pace very comfortably.  And this was after already running 7.5 miles and I was keeping up

with hubby easily!! That doesn't happen often. It was a great run!

Scott, I"m sure you have a great wife, since you seem like a really great guy!

And I think the instructor was just probably just being nice. Not hard to look good in the beginner lane!LOL But

it was nice to hear that at least I "looked" like I knew how to swim!LOL He says I just need some practice

to improve my endurance, that my stroke technique and breathing are all good. I actually forgot that I used to

be quite good at the backstroke, I was going to fast and ran into the person who went down the lane before me.Roll eyes

D.R., sounds like taking it so easy on the 1/2, just doing it for fun  and taking photos along the way paid off for you

today! Congrats!!

SIAR, again awesome race yesterday. I am crossing my fingers for a great year for you.

Julia, love the new kicks with the pink! My fav color!

Pressing, glad you are feeling better and it went quickly! Another thing we have in common. I go away 2x/year

with my scrapbooking girlies!!

Marco, wasn't the weather awesome today! 37f when we got back around noon, springlike for January!

CC, hope you had a great race!

Julia1971

Oh, Julia!  Can you add another race for me?  It's the Redmond Watershed Trail Run on March 3rd.  Thanks!

Done.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

PressingOn

Thanks Julia!

Beth - Scrapbooking weekends rock.   It's held at a retreat center that used to be an old convent.  It has small individual rooms with twin beds so everyone gets their own room.  The real treat is the meals we're served.  Love having meals made for me and they're delicious as well. I think I'm the only one scrapping marathon's, kids races and mud runs though.  I'm also the only one that takes a break on Saturday to run.  It's a small campus and I have to run past the big, giant picture window in multiple loops.  They all see me and I can only imagine what they're saying. Oh well!  Great job on your run!  You are getting fast.  Smile  Way to work it based on how you were feeling for the day.  Gotta make use of those high energy days.

Just B.S.

Thanks Julia!

Beth - Scrapbooking weekends rock.   It's held at a retreat center that used to be an old convent.  It has small individual rooms with twin beds so everyone gets their own room.  The real treat is the meals we're served.  Love having meals made for me and they're delicious as well. I think I'm the only one scrapping marathon's, kids races and mud runs though.  I'm also the only one that takes a break on Saturday to run.  It's a small campus and I have to run past the big, giant picture window in multiple loops.  They all see me and I can only imagine what they're saying. Oh well!  Great job on your run!  You are getting fast.  Smile  Way to work it based on how you were feeling for the day.  Gotta make use of those high energy days.

Yes they are a lot of fun. For ours 8 of us have been renting out the same B&B twice a year for 5 years. I was a

runner before  was a scrapper so they know what to expect. Saturday morning I go for my run early and come

back and soak in the jacuzzi before the 9am catered breakfast arrives.  I know better than anyone that  you will

have a great time!!

I know I've shown you some of my running pages before. I used to get published a lot by Scrapbook Trends,

Creating Keepsakes and others but I mostly gave up on the publishing when the boys got older to keep them

from any more embarrassment than they had already had!LOL  I think they got tired of high school teachers who

scrapbooked saying "I saw you in a magazine"!LOL

I have only been working on getting faster over the last 2 years but it seems to be paying off. I have a secret goal

time I would like to achieve before I stop doing fulls and move more into the longer distance tri-scene. I think it

will be a lot kinder to my body as I get further into my 50's.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Marco...at least you're able to get some in still. It is weird not seeing your daily 10 though.

RVD...great job with the mp miles. I've only had 1 of my marathons give me GI distress, but I can empathize with how bad it is. Aside from injury, I think that may be runner's biggest fear.

Julia...I do my best to keep off that darn hamster wheel, but I'm glad I have it.

Pressing...Gotta stay healthy for the girls weekend! That does sound like a lot next week...enjoy the rest while you can.

Beth...again, great job today. My average pace was 8:11; we could have run together! You were quite the scrapbooking rockstar...I'm sure the boys didn't feel too embarrassed.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jackdyl11

Wow, what a day.  I got up early to do my 20 -- 10 by myself and then 10 with the Reston Runners, a local running group.  I use a garmin FR70 with a footpod, and I bought new shoes last night (Nimbus), so it wasn't calibrated.  The watch came out to 19.56, but I'm pretty sure it was measuring way short.  I need to figure out a fueling strategy (thanks for all of the suggestions -- I need to start trying them to find out what works for me).  I basically got up, drank a few ounces of water, and left.  They hadn't set up their water stops on my first loop of the 10 mile course, and I timed my run perfectly so I ended my first lap just as everyone was starting their run, so I didn't get anything to drink in the middle either.  Then the water stop at 5 was empty by the time I got there (there was a large marathon group that left early and ran mostly the same path as the 10 mile group).  So, no water until 18, when we came back to the start again (with so many different routes going along the same trail network, we got confused and must have missed a loop).  Anyway, I felt fine most of the way.  I got some pretty quick miles in as well, and finished about the last half mile in GMP.

After that we went to the zoo, since it was pretty warm out.  That was pretty tiring, but worth it as the little ones were very cute.

Docket & CC - I hope you both had great races!

SIAR - I don't think I answered you yesterday - I was actually 162 this morning (6'2''). I feel like I'm pretty big for a runner, but I'm working on it.  Just not tonight.  I knew a guy that would run 140 miles a week in flats, but he was tiny, like 5'6'' and 120.  He was incredibly smooth, too.  It made me jealous.  More so because he was confused as to why I couldn't wear flats all the time.  Also, good job on the race! very consistent pacing with a good kick at the end.  And more impressive being in the middle of an 80 mile week.

Just BS - That does sound like a long day, and a good run too! Very good job with the pace.  Wow, from the PRs you have listed, that looks like <5k pace! Sounds like some PRs are going to be smashed in the near future.

Julia - I like the new shoes.  Don't think I could pull them off, though.  I've been wearing the Nimbus basically since I started running.  As soon as I found them I stopped getting those little injuries, until they got old.  I've strayed once or twice when they didn't have my size, but I like the Nimbus the best.  What had the local elite run?  I live in the DC area too, so I'm wondering if I know her as I know 1 or 2 very fast women that live in the area.

Pressing - Happy your feeling better!

Scott - Good job on the 16w/MP yesterday.  That's funny about the guy you saw at the trails.  I can be him sometimes, except I generally lumber through the first two miles so no sprinting out of a car for me.  I have a 10 mile route that starts and stops at my house.  I did about 1.5 backwards beforehand, then did the normal 10.  It's my home route - I do it maybe 5 times a week (sometimes only 8 of it).  Some decent hills, but its convenient more than anything.

Marco - Glad your up in decent weather for once.  Must be a nice mental break.

RVD -- Nice MP run, glad you were lucky with the GI issues.  I think I read recently that fructose is more likely to cause GI issues.  Here is the webmd page about it:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/news/20030714/fructose-may-cause-digestive-problems

However it looks like bananas have about 50% fructose 50% glucose, so they aren't high in fructose compared to other fruits.  Maybe something to think about though.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jack...sounds like a great day with the running and family time. That is quite a bit of running to do without any liquid. I've found I don't hate my little 10 oz handheld for training runs, so I bring that occasionally. I've never tried the Nimbus - maybe I'll try them on at the store. We're the same weight, but since I'm an inch shorter I guess I'm the chubby one ha. I'm jealous of those little guys too, usually with stride, available footwear, and pace. Thanks for the race comments. I felt good about it with where I am in my training. You have any shorter races coming up?

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

SIAR--I should've done 10 today.  No excuse.  I am trying to average 8 a day because of a challenge in another thread and I listed my goal as 230 for the month.

Julia--Your question got me thinking about how much I run in the VFFs or barefoot.  For six months out of the year, I can't do it because of the weather.  Also, my feet get a bit sore if I go for weeks at a time in the summer.  I figured 5000 miles over the last two years and about 1500 of those are VFF or BF miles.  I have resisted the urge to do it in a race because I tend to be about a minute slower per mile and I want a PR or a trophy every time out.

Bad Ass

Hi, guys!  I had a great weekend that ended with an almost PR.  I ran easy today and still managed to duplicate the Berlin time plus ten seconds.  So close!  I was not looking for a PR but knowing I Just ran a HM the day before, used no albuterol, and still managed to run like that makes me feel better.

I did an RR and it's in my blog (link on my siggy) and posted one on the Beginner's and Beyond group, if you want to read.

Hope everybody has a great night!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Just B.S.

Just BS - That does sound like a long day, and a good run too! Very good job with the pace.  Wow, from the PRs you have listed, that looks like <5k pace! Sounds like some PRs are going to be smashed in the near future.

Jack sounds like you had a long day yourself! Good job on the 20 and they having energy left for the zoo!!

Yes you are right. I ran 7.5 miles with tons of hills THEN ran just over my 5K pace for about 3km and it felt great.

I have honestly only started really pushing myself in races in the last year or so AND all of my local races have

big hills. Even the 5K PR was done 6 days after my half PR and with 3 hills so if all goes well I'm feeling pretty

confident in more PRs this year. 2012 I PR'd substantially at every distance except the 8k because I didn't race one.

D.R., great race report and photos!! Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

Menopausal insomnia strikes me at least once per week, twice if I'm unlucky and doesn't help my energy levels. It's

3:35 and I've been awake since 2am. Wake up call is 6am for a 7:15 pool time so hopefully I can get in an hour or

so of sleep.

Nite all!