Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 2/17/13 - Let's Go Docket_Rocket! (Read 17 times)

PressingOn

PO, I get long run/post marathon insomnia too.   I have found Tylenol PM helps.

I looked for some Tylenol PM last night that came in a race packet but couldn't find it.  I was making noise shuffling around my kitchen searching.  Dh comes downstairs, "What was that loud bang?"  It must have been a cupboard door closing.  He thought I'd tried to go down the stairs in the dark (which I did), had a cat get under my feet (they did not) and fallen because my post marathon muscle soreness inhibited my ability to navigate darkness, stairs and cats.  At least he was concerned enough to check on me.  LOL!

Pressing--I actually saw a two or three people walking and a pair of cross country skiers along the riverwalk.  There was not a bare spot to be found.  Tomorrow's run is in jeopardy because the snow is supposed to end at 5AM and it will take me probably just short of an hour to get the driveway clear so I can go to work.

Julia1971

I went with a double today on the treadmill at the gym.  There were actually people today so I got to watch lots of interesting workouts.

I went clothes shopping in between workouts but didn't buy much...  Ladies, from what I saw, I think navy blue is going to be the color for spring.  Lots of nautical looking clothes.  I guess we're all going sailing.  LOL!

A couple people asked about the no traveling for races rule...  I made it when I was playing field hockey and had to drive all over the mid-Atlantic to play in tournaments.  It was a way of stopping both sports from taking over my weekends.  But, now that I'm not playing hockey, maybe I don't need the rule anymore.

Swift, Hope you had a good run today.  And, thanks for sharing your experience racing that far so close to a goal race.

Just B.S., Glad to hear the knee is fine now.

Scott, Sorry to hear the games got cancelled.  That's gotta be frustrating and disappointing for the kid.

CC, Ooooh.  Someone's in troublllle.  Go teach that child some manners!  LOL!

JoJo, Nice job, speedy.  Stay warm and good luck with those long runs.

SIAR, Congrats on hitting 100 miles!  I'd be happier for you if you hadn't sabotaged my attempt to do the same.  Wink

Marco, Wow, you continue to inspire me.  Running in a blizzard...  Just wow.

Jack, Yeah, the Reston 10 Miler might be too close.  There's a 10 miler next weekend somewhere up in Maryland but I have a feeling it's smallish.  I was hoping for a big race but...  As far as having to walk, you're still making your way back so, I wouldnt' feel too bad about it.

Pressing, Count me in the post-marathon insomnia crowd.  I also try to take a Tylenol PM after them.  Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jodi...you seem to be making tons of pace progress...that has to feel really good. Keep it up.

Pressing... Glad your dh didn't come down and knock you over the head thinking you were an intruder! Getting out of race clothes is always priority 1 for me, even if I'm not soaked. I probably wouldn't have been so modest in waiting to change lol.

Julia...can you add 4/14 Union 1/2 Mara 1:30 pacer, please? I noticed the sailor theme in the stores too...lots of neon as well, especially the yellow. I didn't realize you were playing hockey after college. For me, I was just done with my sport. I won't hold you back on your mileage anymore, promiseSmile. Have you ever seen the brand Oiselle? It was in my tri magazine and made me think of your gear hunt.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

B.S.: Sounds like a nice run with the girls. Tutus on the plane would be funny!

Scott: Great job getting to 50!

CC: Glad you're feeling good after the 16.

SIAR: Great job with your 18+ in those conditions. Great job getting to 100! I know in the book Hudson does mention Canova as one of his influences (among a bunch of others), especially w/regard to hill sprints in particular.

marco: Great job with your 6.6 in the blizzard.

jack: I have the same sentiments about crappy runs--tough but at least it's done.

jojo: Great job with your 6.

Pressing: Hope you feel more rested soon.

Julia: Great job with your TM double.

Group run was fun, I took the longer way on the way to meet the group and got in 2.7, then went 10 with a couple runners with similar pace to mine. I had another spectacular fall, tripped over a metal grating that was around a tree and went head first into the tree (knee ran into grate). Luckily, since temp was below 30 at that point, I had a thick, soft hat on, plus my knee and shoulder hitting first slowed me down so my head only made a pretty soft impact with the tree. Then a few miles later, one of my running partners fell. Later, I almost fell again but caught myself just before my head would have hit the ground. My running partner (the one who had also fallen) called us "Team Catastrophe"!  But it was in general a very nice run. Got 55 miles for the week, and the legs feel pretty good. Did not even need my patella strap (had in in back pocket of my long-sleeve tech shirt just in case), so knee is definitely getting better.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Julia1971

Julia...can you add 4/14 Union 1/2 Mara 1:30 pacer, please? I noticed the sailor theme in the stores too...lots of neon as well, especially the yellow. I didn't realize you were playing hockey after college. For me, I was just done with my sport. I won't hold you back on your mileage anymore, promiseSmile. Have you ever seen the brand Oiselle? It was in my tri magazine and made me think of your gear hunt.

Union half has been added...  I kinda liked the Gore singlet so I returned the one I bought and ordered another one in a smaller size.  The crop top was okay but after thinking about it, it won't be warm enough for that a month from now.  I ran in the Gore shorts today and I think they'll work - they're tight fitting but not compression so they were very comfortable.  If the smaller singlet fits, my apparel hunt will be over.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

PressingOn

Pressing... Glad your dh didn't come down and knock you over the head thinking you were an intruder! Getting out of race clothes is always priority 1 for me, even if I'm not soaked. I probably wouldn't have been so modest in waiting to change lol.

I was prepared to strip it off, while still being modest, of course but I was with my friend and her husband.  Since she hadn't stripped I thought it best to follow suit.  I didn't feel the "sure, strip down to your running bra in front of my husband" vibe.  lol.  It's okay.  They cranked the heater in the car for me so I felt warm on the drive to the store.