GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

Run the mile you are in.

Julia1971

I am up way too early.

Happy hour last night turned into an all night thing.  I figured after 22 miles I'd be done for, but I stayed out past midnight.  The event was my running club's annual meeting.  At one point in the evening, they gave out a couple of awards.  A woman was describing the female Runner of the Year - "This runner ran this race in this time, and finished 1st in her age group..."  At some point, I was thinking, "Hmm.  I think I did all those things..."  And, then it dawned on me.  It was me!!!  Shocked  I was so surprised that such a great group of runners would honor me in that way.  They gave me a nice jacket.

Doubles on the schedule today: 6 with the running group and 4 that I think I'll do in the late afternoon so I can get some rest today.  I was thinking I'd go in to work this weekend to catch up on some things but I don't see that happening.

Run the mile you are in.

Mostly Harmless

Congratulations Julia!  That's fantastic!

SRD for me. I'm currently camped out on my couch drinking coffee and watching the morning news.  My Dad turns 83 today, so an early dinner with him is planned.  Have a great day all!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

fake it till you make it

Julia Congrats, Runner of the Year!  That's fantastic, and well deserved!  And totally merits an all-night happy hour.

I've been under the weather with some cough/cold crud the last few days. So irritating when that happens in a training cycle! Probably shouldn't be out running, but going to attempt 16 today anyway Supposed to have some GMP miles in there but just going to take it easy and try to get the miles done. We have a big snow/ice storm on the way and it supposed to start raining/sleeting/snowing any second now.  Should be a fun run.

fake it till you make it

oh Scott- I'm so jealous! I want to camp on the couch with coffee instead of putting on the rest of my winter running gear.  Happy 83rd birthday to your dad!

Finally PRed!!!

Go Docket!

Julia: Congrats!! That's really great! You rock! Hope the double goes well.

Scott: Enjoy the SRD and dinner with your Dad!

JenRosie: Sorry you've been sick, hope you're able to have a good 16.

I guess I'll get in at least 10ish today, maybe a bit more, heading out pretty soon to meet yet another running group. We're going to be running on parts of the marathon course, and they have different distances mapped out, but I haven't decided yet which distance I'll run with them. Going to see how the legs feel and what paces people are planning to run, since I don't plan on running very fast. Then we're having brunch after.

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Mostly Harmless

Julia Congrats, Runner of the Year!  That's fantastic, and well deserved!  And totally merits an all-night happy hour.

I've been under the weather with some cough/cold crud the last few days. So irritating when that happens in a training cycle! Probably shouldn't be out running, but going to attempt 16 today anyway Supposed to have some GMP miles in there but just going to take it easy and try to get the miles done. We have a big snow/ice storm on the way and it supposed to start raining/sleeting/snowing any second now.  Should be a fun run.

Jen - Sorry you're sick! That's my big fear right now.  There are people at work coming in with colds and it pisses me off to no end. I refuse to sit in meetings with them and will call into meetings that are taking place just down the hall from me instead.  I'm sure everyone I work with thinks I'm a germ-phobe but, like you, I'm working way too hard to get derailed by a cold.

Sorry to rant!  I hope you feel better and can get the 16 in despite the weather. I think you're smart to skip the GMP part today.  If you've been sick you would probably struggle to hit that pace and end up wearing yourself out in the process.  Keeping it at an easy pace sounds like a good plan.

ETA - NTS - we cross posted.  Enjoy your run today.  You are really cranking out the miles!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Just B.S.

Morning all!!! 10 miles on tap for hubby and I . We both must have been very tired from the 3hours in the pool

as we slept until 9am!!  I'm reposting my message from last night as it was late and not many saw it......

____________________________________________________________________________________

OK I am super super excited!!!!!!!We had our Ireland meeting today. We need 20 confirmed and deposits

paid by the end of the week. By the end of the meeting we were up to 16!!!!!!!!!! So it looks like the 9 days

in Ireland with the marathon to celebrate hubby's birthday are going to happen. And doing it all with friends

from home including my good friend I am travelling to the Disney Princess with and her hubby who were

also with us in Bermuda.

We have an awesome itinerary with 4 different cities (Dublin/Belfast/Killkenny/Letterkenney), we are spending

a nights in a castle/hotel, 10 different attractions including the Titanic Centre, Guiness, Bushmills, Trinity College,

a castle  and a tour bus to take us everywhere so we have no worries about transportation, navigation or

getting lost!!

So one month from today I will be in Florida for the Princess Half and 8 months from today we will be in Ireland!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Julia, that is fantastic!! We know you are an amazing runner and I guess your locals do too!!

Scott, Happy Birthday to your Dad!!!!!!! Enjoy your/his day.

Jack, sorry I missed your post the other day. So sorry about the injury.

Jen, sorry you are sick, take care! I'm a germaphobe too, like Scott.....people give me dirty looks when I won't share my pen

or take thiers!LOL

NTS, wow you certainly are cranking out those miles! have fun

Julia1971

Pressing, I think I'm becoming a convert.  It was upper 20s today for my run and it didn't bother me at all...  Hope your shoulder works it's way out and you find a time to get a workout in.  Scrapbooking isn't supposed to cause injuries, is it?

Marco, LOL re the t.v.  Unbelieveable.  No wonder you avoid the treadmill.

Just B.S., That's going to be an awesome trip!  I can't wait to see the pictures.

Scott, Enjoy the rest and have a great time with your dad today...  I thought your rant was good.  I wish sick people would stay home, too.

Swift, Have fun scouting out the marathon course.  It's great that you can do that.  Fewer surprises on race day...  So, you have two running groups?  I've wondered about that.  Is it okay to belong to more than one club?

JenRosie, How'd the run go?

D_R, Good luck today!

Run the mile you are in.

Finally PRed!!!

Scott: I don't blame you for avoiding the sickies at work.

B.S.: Hope you and hubby have a nice 10. Awesome that plans for your trip are shaping up.

Julia: Right now I'm running with more than 2 groups, more like about 5, but most aren't actual clubs that have formal memberships (except I am a member of the Atlanta Track Club, which is huge--I don't actually run with them, but I will get early entry into the Peachtree Road Race, plus there are some other benefits). Some of the groups I've been running with are organized by running stores, but a couple of those (like the one I ran with yesterday) are temporary ones that are also put on by the Georgia Marathon people. So since the Georgia Marathon sponsors groups at a couple different stores, I guess I feel ok about running with a couple different ones. Then I have a couple other groups (like the one I ran with today) that are running/social groups that meet at various restaurants to run together and eat after (and drink after too, in the case of some of the evening ones!).  The one today just ran on the course because some of  the people are training for the half. But they aren't really formal clubs that I would be part of for racing, etc. And yes, it is definitely good to get a lot of training on the actual course.

So I ran about 3 on the way to meet the group, then 8 with the group. It was a nice run, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good the legs felt. Had a nice time at brunch after, too.

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey everybody.  Awesome run for me today...I'm super excited about it.  The run was 18.02 miles, with 12x30 sec fartlek portions every mile from mile 3-14.  My overall pace was 7:44, and my last 4 miles went 7:45, 7:41, 7:36, and 7:08 (the rest of the miles were closer to 8:00, but the fartlek portion brought the avg. down).  I hope it's not annoying to share the paces, but I'm just really happy that I hit them while feeling so good.

I'm going to wait a couple of days to decide and make sure I don't have any delayed soreness (especially after another weekly PR of 88.2 miles), but I think next week I'm going to race a 5k on Saturday.  It'll still be a cutback week in terms of mileage and intensity, but I think that makes it a good time to fit a race in.  I hesitate a little to do it just because of my past history, but I keep hearing that I would get a lot of benefit from using more races as sharpening efforts.

Julia...Hey, congratulations Ms. Runner of the Year.  That must feel really good to have your efforts and successes recognized like that.  A new jacket sounds pretty nice too.  You definitely deserved a fun night out after that.  From yesterday, I agree that marathons deserve some more consideration and planning, and they get more of my attention too.  Adjusting and planning for your weaknesses is really smart like you do is really smart.  My weakness so far has really just been the latter miles, and I think the way for me to improve on that is just to be more conservative and intelligent in the early miles when I'm feeling good.  As for your fueling, it is odd that the middle miles get you.  Do you think you just haven't fueled soon enough?  I hope the double today is a success and that you're able to get some work done even if you don't head in to the office.

NotScott...Again, congrats on your great effort yesterday.  You were smart to make it so you had no choice but to run in to the finish.  Enjoy your rest day, and have a great time celebrating with your dad.

Jen...Ugh, sorry about the cold.  The easy miles seem to be a much better plan if you're looking to get the mileage in while not feeling well.

Swift...Wow, you have so many great options to run with people!  Being able to easily get out on your marathon pace for some miles an awesome thing to be able to do to help with race planning and confidence.  I'm glad your legs were feeling fresh and you got in some more good mile.  Bunch sounds nice too.  Oh, and I also agree with Scott that your consistent training is really impressive and should yield some great results.

Beth...Yay for you!  That's going to be such a fantastic trip, and having friends and your husband to share it with will make it all the more memorable.  With Ireland and Disney it you're going to have quite the running year.  I hope the 10 were good and that the weather finally allowed the miles to be more enjoyable.

Pressing...Did you get a chance to run yesterday, or did it get pushed to today?  I had to laugh at your scrapbooking soreness.  Who knew it was a physical activity!  Did you like how your things turned out?  That's too bad that you're not able to get out on the trail more if you really enjoy it.  And I agree, shuffling on the trail is definitely not a strategy that yields good results.  Thanks for complimenting my patience too.  It has certainly taken some, and like you said, I really am feeling stronger.

Docket...Hope it went well!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

Finished my double.  Going to get some food and then spend the afternoon recouperating.

SIAR, Good job today.  And, I agree about the benefit of racing.  It's really hard to push yourself in training as hard as you will during a race.  Plus, psychologically, you probably need to race more to get over the injury we're never speaking of again.  Smile   I also like to do a lot of races before heading into serious marathon training since I don't race alot during the training cycle itself...  Yes, I think that's what I'm doing wrong - not fueling soon enough.  I think it might be psychological, too.  Maybe it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy - I exptect it to happens so I make it happen...  Yes, it does feel good to be acknowledged like that.  It's a great group of really good, experienced, knowledgeable runners.  So, for them to think of me as RotY, makes me feel very proud of myself.  Smile

Run the mile you are in.

PressingOn

Hey all!  No workout yesterday but it's okay.  My shoulder was still giving me fits. Yeah, that scrapbooking is a dangerous activity.  Big grin  I picked up our glass aquarium hamster cages for cleaning yesterday and immediately felt pain so another day of rest was good.  I will head to the pool this evening when dh gets home from work.  Hopefully I can get at least 1700 yards in.  And hopefully Sunday evenings are slow at the pool.

Beth - Ireland sounds like a great adventure.  I'm impressed with the 4x/week swimming.  I drive 30 minutes one way to my pool and cannot imagine finding the time 4x a week.  2x is all I can manage.  What I wouldn't give for a backyard pool of my own.  

Julia - Congrats on your award. What a nice surprise. And I'm glad you're getting used to the colder temps.  I'd rather be a little chilly on a run than overheated any day.

Scott - Enjoy celebrating with your dad. And enjoy dinner because you earned it yesterday with that 22 miler. Lol about refusing to sit in meetings with sick people. I totally understand. I am paranoid I will get that nasty flu bug before one of my marathon's this winter. Wish it was that easy to avoid sick kids.  Last marathon taper I was sorely tempted to wear a hazmat suit.  I do wish I could lock myself in my house the 2 weeks prior to a goal race.

JenRosie - I've been running through a cold lately too. Not fun. Feel better soon!

Swift - Enjoy the group run. You seem to do a lot of group runs.  Now that you explained how many you belong to, it makes sense.  Smile

SIAR - Great job on your run! I think the 5K during an easy week will be good. Is racing again after your injury kind of like getting back on the horse after falling off? Or maybe getting back out in the water after a shark attack? Wink

Just B.S.

My 10 miles today actually turned out to be 15k.......close enough!! It was too darn cold and I had run nothing but

hills by the time I got back to my street,,,,no enthusiasm for going back uphill another 1/2 kilometer and down

again to make it 10 miles even.

It was a slow 15k @ 1:40 but since I was wearing 5 layers and it was -15F with the windchill and these elevations

in meters I think I will give myself a break on the slow factor today. We ran about 2 miles of it on trails that were

purely ice and rutted snow. I almost went on my ass more than once.

I don't stop running up any hills, as per my "get tough, stay tough" policy!LOL

My hubby loves me dearly and I know he is proud of me but he is a man of few words.

Today at the end of that run he said looked at me and said "you are one tough chick".  High praise indee

Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  I finished but it was not a walk in the park.  The damn reflux hit me too soon and I barfed.  Barfed!

Beth, that is awesome.  You almost have everybody already!

See you later guys.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."