Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 11/29 (Read 219 times)

Finally PRed!!!

onemile: the Tiger Balm seems to help me, it seemed to work this past weekend, I do avoid it sometimes because of the smell 

Scott: That's a cool image you put on the group's site. I like The Stick, but I have also heard from some people who don't and prefer foam rollers. I guess the main advantage of The Stick is that  is easier to use just while sitting on a chair or something? I don't know, I have not used a foam roller before, but it looks like it would require more practice to use correctly. The one I have is this "Hybrid" one

https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HW-2300

and the little wheel in the middle works great for the knots I get in my calves. They also have a small one for travel that would be nice for convenience.

Hope you are able to break out of your mental funk soon. Happens to most of us at times,  I guess, hope the fun race helps!

Pressing: the movie making sounds fun, I have played around with that stuff a little. Yes, I might check into massage fairly soon. Actually have a couple acquaintances in this area who are massage therapists now.  I mostly go with options I can do myself for cost/convenience reasons. I just always have a lot of issues with cumulative muscle soreness. I don't mind it as long as I can still hit the paces I'm aiming for, and as long as it gets better with rest/recovery days. Sometimes it is just a sign I need to back off just a bit.

SIAR: Nice job with your easy 12+. Yes, they have a few different types of Tiger Balm, but it is similar  to IcyHot or some of the other ones out there...

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Mostly Harmless

Scott: ... I like The Stick, but I have also heard from some people who don't and prefer foam rollers. I guess the main advantage of The Stick is that  is easier to use just while sitting on a chair or something? I don't know, I have not used a foam roller before, but it looks like it would require more practice to use correctly. The one I have is this "Hybrid" one

https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HW-2300

and the little wheel in the middle works great for the knots I get in my calves. They also have a small one for travel that would be nice for convenience.

Thanks for the link!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Hey y'all!

I found you.  Still taking a break from running.  1-2 more weeks and then I'll see how the ankle is doing

I did take my first spin class in a year and it went ok.  My poor little legs are not good cycling legs and I was at the lowest functional threshold on the chart.  Oh well.. nowhere to go but up!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Patti...Awesome, thanks for coming over!  Slow spin is better than no spin Smile

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

PressingOn

Okay, just answering questions directed at me to keep it short and then I'm off and "running" again.  

Hill - Hmmm ... we'll see.  Lol.  I may post it to FB if it's not too large.  Now I'm stuck waiting on Brightroom to get me my photo's.  I think I'll spring for the digital download since they have finish line video included and no one was there to actually see me finish but my coach.  Dh and ds were up the street a ways.  I actually look super happy and energetic.  I want the evidence as proof I felt good.Big grin

SIAR - I found a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer on Craigs List.  It was barely used and I paid $150.00 for it.  

Bad Ass

Hey y'all!

I found you.  Still taking a break from running.  1-2 more weeks and then I'll see how the ankle is doing

I did take my first spin class in a year and it went ok.  My poor little legs are not good cycling legs and I was at the lowest functional threshold on the chart.  Oh well.. nowhere to go but up!

Glad you did!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

jojo61397

Hi, everyone.  This is the first time I have gotten to sit down all day.  I had maybe 5 minutes this morning, hence the post on the Daily Runner on FB.  

Anyway, I ran 8 miles this morning.  I'm really proud of my progress during this training cycle and with weight watchers.  Last year at this time, I weighed around 143-145 pounds.  Today, I weighed in at my job (we have to weigh in once a month), and I weighed 132.4.  The biggest change I have seen is in my running.  My mid-range runs, I'm averaging around 8:30-8:45 min/mile!!!  My long runs come in between 9:45-10:00 min/mile!  Today I ran 8 miles at 1:11 hours.  It's a LONG ways from where I came from, and I'm so excited that a BQ may be in my future, and sooner than I think.

Let's just put it this way, when I "restarted" running marathons, I was running my long runs at around 12:00-13:00 min/mile.  My marathon time was 5:19.  I have dropped 2:00 whole minutes off my time.  And it wasn't just weight loss, the weigh loss came recently (the weight came flying off when I changed up my diet considerably-- I stopped drinking soda, I limited beer and wine to only special occasions, I cut my carbs, increased my protein, and increased my fruits and vegetables-- that's it).  I started really making headway with my weight in September and October.  

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                Sub- 1:45 hour half.

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Thanks for all the welcomes. Must do a fairly quick post to be with family.

not too swift - Thanks. The data is very messed up now from my attempts to fix it.. Could not figure out how to just delete everything and try again. The version was ST 3.1.4518.. Well, at first I tried the raw data file and it failed (and may have set up huge problems). Later I did it how you suggest... but maybe the damage was done. Now I cannot figure out how to delete all data to try the exported files by themselves.

onemile - Cool... mine had TONS of missing miles. It would take WAY to long. I'll just omit that feature if I must. BTW: father in law swears by Tiger Balm. I have no experience with it.

Mostly Harmless - Ah, the 18/55 (18weeks/55miles)... Not sure why he starts the first week with a 17 and counts down to zero (race week).

hilltopper - Sure. Thanks. The next scheduled race is Boston 2013.. open goal of sub 3:15 (yet would love sub 3:10)

So_Im_a_Runner - Great job on the 12+. PowerBall eh... I need to make friends with you FAST! :-).  Thanks for the welcome. I've been solidly on it for a year now... Tried to run Boston 2012 with it and my HR belt battery died while in the corral.. UGH. Then I did Tupelo, MS by HR and Pensacola by HR.  GREAT comparison and learning because one was hot and the other "normal". AWESOME re an IronMan!  Well, my answer to "tracking so much" is that, ONCE you get your HRmax (or a good guess at it) and resting HR, it's not that hard. For Pfitz ranges, I can give you a spreadsheet that calculates the rest... I run by HR, NOT PACE... somewhat eliminating that data. Of course I'm very aware of pace, but I don't do the pace bands... pace splits planning... goal pace guesses, etc. I go by heart rate.. done. We can talk more if you're interested.

jojo - proud with great reason! Congratulations!

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html