Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 2/28/13 - Say Good-Bye to February (Read 20 times)

PressingOn

Somehow I missed Scott.  Hi Scott!  Hope you get all your busy stuff done today.

Bad Ass

PO, LOL.  I wish.  The shot so far has gone well.  Thanks for asking.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

CompetitiveChik

Hey all,

just a quick fly by. I was suppose to do 4 easy mile and then 30min spin. I pulled something in my left leg yesterday and today I'm payin for it. so I just did the 30min spin.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I got my 8.42 miles in over lunch at a nice recovery pace...probably could have been slower, but I think it still served its purpose.  As for the meltdown on B&B, I think I inadvertently caused it, which is a little beyond me.  Oops!  All I really intended to say was that while higher mileage may not be the way to go for one person, it can work for others.  It really was worded that innocently too, I think.

Julia...I haven't noticed any drowsiness with Zyrtec either.  I don't feel like it works for me as well as Allegra though.  Good luck being witty at your presentation.

Pressing...Congrats on your most recent aunt-hood!  Your poor family seems constantly sick.  I'm blaming the climate out there.

Docket...Nice work with the MP miles last night, especially on the heels of 26 MP miles!  Hope the run today goes well too.

CC...Hope it's nothing serious...definitely take it easy and heel up before your race!

Jack...Squeeze any running in last night?

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

RVD - Glad that hamstring seems to be behaving itself. If taper is starting that explains not knowing what to do with yourself. Will you be taking the SRD fully or still running some?

No, I think I will cool it until after the race.  I probably got into trouble with my hamstring by doing too much anyway.

Mostly Harmless

Hey folks. I read through all the posts but no time to reply. Work is really busy today but I like it. The project I've been planning for about a year is really taking off. It's great to finally get past the planning stages and into doing actual work. I should only be this busy for another 10 months or so. Big grin

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
              Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

fake it till you make it

Happy Last Day of February!

Julia I hope it is just allergies, but you are right that if it is a cold you’ve got time to recover. I think I’m more of a mid-training-cycle madness person than a taper madness person. Right about now (6-7 weeks to go) is where I like to freak out and think that I’m going about this all wrong.

Hilltopper nice work on the 5- looks like you’re doing just fine on getting back into shape.

Scott congrats on getting your project off the ground. Hope you get a little chance to rest in the next… year!

Swift wow- accidentally running 21 miles!!! You sure earned that beer!

RVD maybe I missed this –but what did you decide to do about the 10K?

Jodi increased carbs? Yum! However, I don’t think I can go above the 100% I seem to be already at….

SIAR what trouble are you causing? I must’ve missed something. Glad you got your lunch run in.

Pressing congrats on the new baby niece!

D-R very nice work on the MP run!

Jack pass the popcorn and tell me where the drama is please! Smile

CC hope the leg appreciates the reduced workout and is better tomorrow.

My workout today was supposed to be 2 warmup, 8 @ GMP, 2 cooldown. I’ve done that or similar on the treadmill with not much problem. Decided to take it outside today to run with a friend who I knew could help me keep my pace on track. We made it 5@GMP before we were both tanked. Not sure what happened- some slippery footwork here and there but it really shouldn’t have been that hard. Trying to not let it bug me as I still got in a respectable 13 with some very good effort. Heading to a group run tonight for some recovery miles. And some drinks- this is the last night I get to do that until boston! Wonder if Trader Joes will wonder why they seem to be selling so much less 2 buck chuck in March…

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jen...Gonna be a fun night for you! Smile  That's a lot of running.  Sorry you didn't get your 8 MP miles in.  You're right though, 5 is good and it probably was just one of those days.  My trouble was on another forum...and it just kinda devolved after what I thought was a pretty harmless comment.  It's winter...people just want to be out in the sun.

Scott...Exciting stuff seeing a plan come to fruition.  Don't let it interfere with your running.

RVD...love that plan.

Eh, it's a pretty long discussion.  The current trend is definitely to reduce the drop in shoes, in favor of something that's closer to a 0 drop (same heel and toe height).  One thing that's pretty apparent is that a lower drop will put more pressure on your achilles and calf, so it's wise to transition slowly when going with a more minimal drop.

The other variable that's really in play is what type of strike you have, be it a heel, mid foot, or forefoot strike and how that changes or is influenced by the shoe drop.

All these issues are really why getting out and trying shoes on is pretty worthwhile.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jackdyl11

Pressing: Yes, I found my shoesSmile. SOMEONE (ok, it was me) put them under a bag by the stairs.  Somehow I'm still going to pin it on Megan... err... she should have put them on top of the bag!  There.  Got in a nice 10 miler last night.  At least the first 6 were nice.  The stupid yappy dog that lives around the 6 mile marker was out and it started chasing me.   I usually stop and yell at it until it goes home, but this is about the 10th time this has happened so last night I just decided to keep running.  It chased me for about a quarter mile before stopping.   Unfortunately it stayed away from my back swing and I didn't kick it.

Also, to avoid any confusion... I AM JUST KIDDING ABOUT KICKING THAT DOG.  I like dogs but I was having fun being lost in my head and it woke me up.

Mostly Harmless

Pressing: Yes, I found my shoesSmile. SOMEONE (ok, it was me) put them under a bag by the stairs.  Somehow I'm still going to pin it on Megan... err... she should have put them on top of the bag!  There.  Got in a nice 10 miler last night.  At least the first 6 were nice.  The stupid yappy dog that lives around the 6 mile marker was out and it started chasing me.   I usually stop and yell at it until it goes home, but this is about the 10th time this has happened so last night I just decided to keep running.  It chased me for about a quarter mile before stopping.   Unfortunately it stayed away from my back swing and I didn't kick it.

Also, to avoid any confusion... I AM JUST KIDDING ABOUT KICKING THAT DOG.  I like dogs but I was having fun being lost in my head and it woke me up.

Reminds me of Arlo Guthrie: "Officer I can not tell a lie, I put that envelope underneath of that garbage".  OK, now I'm really showing my age!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

I was drowsy most of the morning but it wore off by afternoon.  So, I'm thinking it was just allergies.  I picked up some saline rinse packets and distilled water on the way home.  I'm going to practice good allergy habits for the next...  15 days.

The presentation went okay.  There were a few things I wish I would have said more artfully, but it wasn't bad.  I guess I'll know for sure when the evaluations come in.  Smile

Pressing, Happy Birthday to Baby Evelyn!

D_R, Nice workout last night.  Hope you got your miles in today.

Jack, This is just the beginning.  I plan on bringing more craziness to the party.

CC, Hope the leg feels better soon.

SIAR, Sounds like you had a nice run... I get the sense that RWOLers pride themselves on weekly meltdowns so I wouldn't worry.  Wink  It doesn't happen so much on RA.  I still feel bad about disagreements I had with people years ago. LOL!

Scott, Congrats on the project moving to the next step.  It sounds like good timing in a way.  You'll finish RnR and be able to spend some time on the project before starting to train for MCM.

JenRosie, You should send Trader Joes a letter so they can adjust their inventory for the next month.  Smile  Since I didn't hit any of my MP workouts and have a goal pace much faster than I ran any of those workouts, I'm telling myself MP runs really aren't that important.  If you're fit enough to run the pace in a race, you are.  Who cares whether you can run it in training?  As Allen Iverson would say, "We're talking about practice".  Smile

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

PressingOn

CC - Heal up quick!  No good getting hurt now!

SIAR - So you are a ham and a troublemaker, huh?   Big grin  Hard to imagine you starting a war on a forum.  Actually, the family has done amazingly well with illness this year.  Dd hasn't been sick once and this is the first for dh.  Both ds and I have had two mild colds.  Ds's only kept him home 1.5 days.  Meanwhile, people all around us have been dropping like flies with the vicious, horrible, please let me die, throw up flu or the one with the fever that lasts a week.  I've been quite happy with our minor colds that haven't really stopped us.

JenRosie - Sometimes a 5 mile run is enough.

Jackdyll - Glad you found your shoes.  So is blaming that on your dw like when I let my dh take the blame for eating all the thin mint girl scout cookies I ate?

Okay, dh is home.  Time to make dinner.

Just B.S.

Hi guys/gals!!

Back home. Left last Thursday, arrived home late last night.

Spent today sleeping in a bit after a week of very little sleep/rest,  getting things back to normal,

6 mile run in the morning then swim clinic after dinner.

Was so happy to get back in the pool!! I really really missed it.

I will post about the trip/race possibly tomorrow with photos. What I will say for now is that we went

with the goal of an  Epic Fun Adventure while assisting our friend to a half marathon finish for her

50th bday, while wearing a silly costume. That was achieved in spades. I doubt any 3 women ever

had more fun running a Disney race. We were literally laughing so hard in the start corral we almost

pee'd our costumes.  This continued through the race especially at the Pirates of the Caribbean photo

op where I pinched Jack Sparrows bottom and he liked it!LOL

Sorry I won't be able to catch up on the last week's goings on!! You folks are just too chatty!

8.7 miles of trying not to fall on my ass this morning.  Extremely busy at work.  March weather not starting off great with two more inches added and still falling.

Bad Ass

Hi!  Great job!  And yes, Jack Sparrow is THE photo spot to do!

10 miles went really well.

Hi guys/gals!!

Back home. Left last Thursday, arrived home late last night.

Spent today sleeping in a bit after a week of very little sleep/rest,  getting things back to normal,

6 mile run in the morning then swim clinic after dinner.

Was so happy to get back in the pool!! I really really missed it.

I will post about the trip/race possibly tomorrow with photos. What I will say for now is that we went

with the goal of an  Epic Fun Adventure while assisting our friend to a half marathon finish for her

50th bday, while wearing a silly costume. That was achieved in spades. I doubt any 3 women ever

had more fun running a Disney race. We were literally laughing so hard in the start corral we almost

pee'd our costumes.  This continued through the race especially at the Pirates of the Caribbean photo

op where I pinched Jack Sparrows bottom and he liked it!LOL

Sorry I won't be able to catch up on the last week's goings on!! You folks are just too chatty!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."