Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - May Day 2013 (Read 15 times)

jackdyl11

Hello - Just 6 tonight for me.  3 more runs until race day!  Absolutely nothing I can do now except rest up and try to get a feel for race pace.  Weather projections still don't mean anything right now, but my weather is looking good too, maybe a little bit warm - 55 with a dew point of 49.

Scott - That sounds like a good race.  I was thinking about it until I decided to do a marathon. Good luck!

Jodi - I agree with what everyone else said.  You QUIT.  If you have time to help them out then that is one thing, but it has to be on your schedule! That's what quitting is!

NTS - Have fun on the 400's.  I do those anywhere from mile pace to 10k pace, depending on the rest and the number.  I'm sure you'll figure it out once you start going.

BS - Allergies are the worst! We're definitely having a bad season down here too.  Everyone was making fun of me the other day because I couldn't stop sneezing.  I hope taper goes well for you! You seem to approach tapering more gracefully than I do.

DR - Good job with the MP and good luck this weekend!

SIAR - Have fun swapping war stories/Bragging about your awesome race!

Bruce - Glad the recovery is going well. Have fun in the great weather.

RVD - That's a tough choice. I can't imagine going around the track that many times.  Could you compromise and go on the Greenway in the morning, or is it too dark?  I'd take the dark over the heat or the circles, but that's just me.

CC - Wow, glad I wasn't trying to keep up with you this morning. Good job!

Pressing - Wishing health for all of you guys!

Hilll - Glad you got some sleep.

Julia1971

I did a 10 mile recovery run this morning and then rushed off to work. It felt pretty good.

So I'm going to shoot for 3:18 to 3:15ish for NYCM. Northernman (from the sub-3:30 thread) and I are challenging each other to make first wave for Boston next year. My next training cycle doesn't start until July but I'm thinking I can do some assessment of where I need to be going in. I thought I was in that kind of shape already but learned at RnR that I wasn't.

Scott, Wasn't it beautiful out today? Hope you had a good run.

Jojo, That job sounds like a PITA. Hope you can get out of the shift.

Swift, Good luck figuring out 400 pace.

Just B.S., I think it's cool you're racing on Mother's Day. Give yourself a gift you really want.

D_R, Hope you have a great run tonight with the husband.

SIAR, Have fun reliving the race with tour crew.

Bruce, Glad to see your recovery is going well.

RVD, You've started checking the weather, huh? How do you feel about low 40s?

CC, She must have sensed you weren't impressed with the schedule so far. Smile

Pressing, Yes, try to stay healthy at this point. The hay is in the barn. (You know I love saying that.)

Hilltopper, 10 hours of sleep sounds divine. So jealous of you right now. You must have needed it.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

RVD - That's a tough choice. I can't imagine going around the track that many times.  Could you compromise and go on the Greenway in the morning, or is it too dark?  I'd take the dark over the heat or the circles, but that's just me.

The high school lights the track starting at 0430, but in actuality it isn't really necessary because of adequate ambient light.  The greenway is just too dark.  Can't even see the path one is standing on.

RVD, You've started checking the weather, huh? How do you feel about low 40s?

Low 40s to start is fine as long as there isn't any wind.

PressingOn

Okay, opinions please.  I just looked at the predicted weather for my race on Sunday.  Expected starting temp of low 50's and high in the low 80's with sunny skies and no clouds.  I've not run in anything over 67 this cycle and the 67 happened perhaps  twice on shorter runs.  Average has been 50's often with a lot of cloud cover and/or rain. How much do you think this will mess with my pace? Mind you, I have webbed feet and gills from living in this rather wet and moderate climate and come from a family of natural polar bears. Sunny temps mess with me both mentally and physically and I overheat easily. Simply sitting in 80 degree temps can make me miserable. I'm tempted to say, "screw it" and run this one at a slow, easy and fun pace rather than trying to PR.  It is the Maniac Reunion after all and should have a party feel to it, right?  I could chat with folks, take photo's, and enjoy the experience. That said, I don't want to psyche myself out before I even start and throw away the chance at a PR.  Oh, what to do?  I'm slow so either way temps will have a chance to warm up (hopefully not all the way to 80) before I finish (11:30-noon'sh depending on how I run the course).  Okay, give me your opinions even if they are to "buck up".  Big grin

Hill - Perhaps the extra sleep will make for a strong run later.

Scott - It's called self control. It's a good thing. Wink I did the same thing on my easy run on Monday. Wound up at marathon pace on hills when I should have been taking it slower.

Jackdyl11 - Great weather. Now stop rubbing it in. Oh my gosh, I sound like Damaris! ha.

Julia - Great and lofty plans for you. You're speedy enough to do it though! And yes, I told my dh that saying just yesterday as I had to miss my run because of sicko.

jojo61397

I got out of working on Tuesday.  I just e-mailed her, and said hey I'm no longer on payroll and cannot work, no guilt, I'm not going to work it.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
              Sub- 1:45 hour half.

thinkin about glory days

8.6 done.  Weather was beautiful...low 70s, not a cloud in the sky.

Nice running today, everyone.

Welcome, Bruce!

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

CompetitiveChik

Okay, opinions please.  I just looked at the predicted weather for my race on Sunday.  Expected starting temp of low 50's and high in the low 80's with sunny skies and no clouds.  I've not run in anything over 67 this cycle and the 67 happened perhaps  twice on shorter runs.  Average has been 50's often with a lot of cloud cover and/or rain. How much do you think this will mess with my pace? Mind you, I have webbed feet and gills from living in this rather wet and moderate climate and come from a family of natural polar bears. Sunny temps mess with me both mentally and physically and I overheat easily. Simply sitting in 80 degree temps can make me miserable. I'm tempted to say, "screw it" and run this one at a slow, easy and fun pace rather than trying to PR.  It is the Maniac Reunion after all and should have a party feel to it, right?  I could chat with folks, take photo's, and enjoy the experience. That said, I don't want to psyche myself out before I even start and throw away the chance at a PR.  Oh, what to do?  I'm slow so either way temps will have a chance to warm up (hopefully not all the way to 80) before I finish (11:30-noon'sh depending on how I run the course).  Okay, give me your opinions even if they are to "buck up".  Big grin

even with the low's bein ideal its the rising temp that will get you. and it will rise fast. I say run it for fun

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

PressingOn

even with the low's bein ideal its the rising temp that will get you. and it will rise fast. I say run it for fun

Thanks CC.  I'm leaning more and more that way.  I want to enjoy this race and not wind up hating life half way through.   I'll tell my coach you said I can run it for fun and not worry about marathon pace.  Big grin

Julia1971

Isn't weather in your area very unpredictable?  I would wait a few more days before deciding.  But, having raced 80 degree Boston, I would not recommend that to anyone.  I would maybe run the first half hard, so I could feel proud knowing I had it in me, and then run mile-by-mile after that knowing I might need to shut it down at any time.  Probably not the answer you'd expect from me but I learned that day that heat and marathoning don't go well together...  But, wait a few days before lowering your expectations.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
                      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

RD for me after 20 yesterday.  Got called into work from 1-3:AM this morning.  Went back to work at 9 and led dignitaries on a tour.  Got called away at 3 to take DW to the ER where we spent three hours and then, went back to work for an hour this evening.  May try to go for a short run tomorrow.

Beth--that weather is looking too warm for me on Mother's Day

Isn't weather in your area very unpredictable?  I would wait a few more days before deciding.  But, having raced 80 degree Boston, I would not recommend that to anyone.  I would maybe run the first half hard, so I could feel proud knowing I had it in me, and then run mile-by-mile after that knowing I might need to shut it down at any time.  Probably not the answer you'd expect from me but I learned that day that heat and marathoning don't go well together...  But, wait a few days before lowering your expectations.

PressingOn- Julia summed up pretty much what I was thinking. The only thing I would add would be to make sure to slow things down BEFORE you get too warm. For me, once I cross the line to overheating there's no easy way to reverse it while running.

I got in my 6+ recovery miles this evening while picking up my wife from work. I parked and ran down on campus and randomly chose a path down by the lake that took me out onto a long peninsula. When I got to the end to turn around I bumped into a dear friend (we used to attend the same church) that I hadn't seen in about a year. He's running Leadville this year and was about 20 miles into his run for the evening. We ran together back toward where I parked and it was great catching up with him ... if only over a couple of miles. It was an unexpected meeting but great to get to see an old friend. (We're going to try to get together occasionally to run when our schedules permit)

Train smart ... race smarter.

CompetitiveChik

Maybe Im reading it wrong but I dont see how deciding to run a race "for fun" is lowering expectations. When I ran Woodlands back in march the weather was perfect so I went into with certain goals. When I didnt reach those goals I took it hard. I couldnt even talk myself into havin fun. Sure there's a likely hood the temp will change but unless there is a cold front scheduled within that 24hr period it wont make a big enough difference.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon