Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 2/2/2013 (Read 16 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Beth...Happy b-day to your aunt.  I have a friend from college with one today too...makes it easy to remember to call.  Hope the swim went well.  6k is big time!

Scott..That's great news that the knee issues didn't linger.  Sometimes our bodies just like to mess with us...that's my theory anyway.  Great job on your run.  If you can hit that in training you definitely have a great shot at doing sub4 or better come race day.  Just keep up the smart training you've been doing and you'll get yourself there.

Docket...Is the evening run because you're avoiding the heat/humidity, or were you up to some shenanigans today?

Julia...Shopping pre-run?  Great way to stretch out the legs Smile

Marco...Wow, those are great miles.  It's amazing how you seem to be able to reel off the MP pace miles you do even when you've been hampered by the cold temps.  I guess that's a testament to the benefit of getting in the miles, regardless of what it takes or what the pace is.

RVD...Man, I sure hope that hammy isn't as bad as you fear it is.  Maybe it will surprise you and turn around in a couple days.  I played through some hamstring troubles in school, and was able to get there with heavy wrapping and compression.  I'm not saying you should run on it if you're hurt, but if you keep it wrapped really tightly you might be able to get through it.

Pressing...Yummers!  Thank you, that looks awesome and I am definitely writing it down.  I like your determination to get the core work in.  I hope you didn't use up all your will power with that long TM run though!  Enjoy the clinic.

Swift...12 isn't short silly, that's medium-long!  Great running for you.  Hey, are you still doing the runs with the mentor-ship group you had mentioned before?  I hadn't seen you say anything about them in a while, so just was curious.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR - Great job!  I'd say you were at a disadvantage with your shoes compared to the shoes of those ahead of you.  And wow, look at all that hair on your face!  Lol!  You look so different from the last photo you posted.  It works for the snowy photo's.  Wink  Anyway, great job in some tough racing conditions.  I can do 2 miles in sub 19.  Big grin

Swift - You seem to do a lot of 12 to 13 miles runs.  Is that a favorite distance?

Thanks....yes, I'm usually very clean cut.  This has been my winter defense mechanism though.  Also, according to etiquette books, it's acceptable for men to have beards in the winter lol.  I wouldn't have done it otherwise Wink

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: Great job and congrats! 3rd overall is great! Wow, the conditions look pretty rough for a 5K, looks like you ran a great time for those conditions. Sounds like running at 90% or so was a good call, since the traction wasn't great. I like the beard and sideburns!

Pressing: Hm, never noticed it, but I guess I do a lot of runs in that range. The 12 today was because that's what the marathon group was doing (cutback between 18 last week and 20 next) and the 1.3 extra is just how far I am from the store. Tomorrow I'm going to do a little extra before meeting the other group, but that's mainly to get my mileage for the week into the 50s. But since we (generally on the thread, I mean) were discussing the other day about things I can do to mix up my training, I'll explain that I am intentionally placing somewhat less emphasis on LRs, and trying to get more overall weekly mileage from several different runs. Partly because last cycle I had 7 runs of 20+ and ran about 23 min slower than my PR. So while I'm still getting some 20+ runs in, I'm not making them as much of a focus this time. Just something I'm trying, and if it doesn't work out, I'll try something different Smile. Now that I think about it, I guess I think 12-13 is sort of a good distance, because at my pace range that is close to 2 hrs, which is what some training gurus say is a good time to get LR benefits without a lot of negative effects.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: Yes, I'm still running with BoMF. Usually I run with them Monday mornings, which is generally a recovery run for me, so that works out well, since we don't run very long distances with them (I tack on a little extra on my own to get to 4 or 5), and it is typically a slower pace. Also, the Saturday marathon group I ran with today (which also has a shorter distance for half training) includes some of the BoMF members who are training for the half. And the 5K I ran in January was my first race with them also.

Julia1971

Ugh! My cable's out. Typing to you from my BB so excuse any formatting problems or if I missed someone. Smile

I got to the mall super early and bought some casual staples - jeans, a sweater, and two summer tops. I head out for my run at about noon. It was a frosty run but I think I hit my paces. I was pretty exhausted after, though, and am just finishing lunch/dinner.

SIAR, Fantastic run! You were leading for a mile! No foot issues and those splits are respectable... Is that the Paul Bunyan Book of Etiquette you're using? Which shoulder am I supposed to carry my axe on? Wink

sSwift, Those middle distance runs are gold.

Pressing, I'm not a huge fan of the mall either. Mostly because my local mall is swarming with tourists. But. Early wasn't bad. I got 2 pairs of jeans, 2 tops, a sweater, and hair product that will stop me from cutting it all off. Wink That level of antsiness is pretty normal, I think. Race day is exciting!!!

Scott, Glad he knee issues came and went.

RVD, Sorry to hear about the hammie. See how it feels tomorrow, though, before getting too upset about it.

Marco, I think this is the 3rd time you've said you're doing your taxes because every time I feel so behind. LOL! Good job on the TM. I've done a couple 20+ milers on them but it is definitely not ideal.

D_R, I ope it was a relaxing Saturday.

Run the mile you are in.

Mostly Harmless

Beth - Hey! Great job with the swim and happy birthday to Aunt Dot!

Damaris - Hope the 10 goes well!

Julia - I hope your 18 went well and you got it in before the snow started!

Marco - Good luck with the taxes! 16.2 on the TM sounds like hell!

RVD - I hope your hamstring issue clears up as quickly as my phantom knee pain.

Pressing - Good job with the swim clinic. Did the core workout happen?

NTS - Another awesome group run for you. You running solo tomorrow?

SIAR - Great job with the race! I'm always impressed by your speed but to run that fast on an icey course is really cool!  The beard is very Damien Lewis.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
              Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Finally PRed!!!

Scott: Tomorrow I'll get in a few solo miles, then meet up with my informal running/social group that runs and then goes for brunch at a nearby restaurant! Smile

Still trying to figure out all the details of how to work my new watch. Bit of a learning curve, especially since it's a completely different brand. The manual that came with it is not great, but I found some more info online.

Finally PRed!!!

Julia: Glad you hit your paces on your run! You are really putting in some impressive training.

Bad Ass

Congrats, SIAR!

I did my 10 and was wheezing the whole way.  Bah.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Still trying to figure out all the details of how to work my new watch. Bit of a learning curve, especially since it's a completely different brand. The manual that came with it is not great, but I found some more info online.

You got a "Communist" watch instead of a Garmin?  Shocked

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Swift...cool, I figured you were. It's hard to keep track of all your groups! Have you learned everyone's name? I struggle with one group.

Julia...glad the run was strong as far as your pacing. I was pleased that my foot held up too! I don't know about your axe, but Bunyan says don't mix your plaid flannels with stripes, and only tuck your bib into the top of your shirt when eating, not into your pants too.

Scott...thank you! Damien Lewis? Holy cow I just saw myself in 10 years.

Docket...way to push through the wheezy ten.

RVD, Sorry to hear about the hammie. See how it feels tomorrow, though, before getting too upset about it.

Ok, I'll put away the razor blades for the evening.  It might only be a first degree injury (lowest) but it will still cost me a whole week of no running and then next week I certainly wouldn't be able to resume with any intensity.  With only 6 weeks until the Shamrock I'll lose at least these two weeks of training and the Hansons stuff is pretty intense during this period.  I'm also certain that I"ll be gun shy in terms of going all out even the week after that.   I have no idea what all this means in terms of adjusting my target marathon pace.

Julia1971

RVD, See how you feel over the next few days. Sometimes muscle pulls heal after a week or so. Yeah you miss those runs but you might be able to turn this week into a cut back week. Sorry - I'm not familiar with Hanson to know if he has cut back weeks and since my cable is out, I can' view your log. Sad

SIAR, If you can figure out your shoe situation, you'll be golden. Is there a major race with an expo in your area coming up soon?

D_R, Bah! +1

Swift, You'll figure it out. New gadget! So exciting!

Scott, there were some flakes during my run but not many. It was just cold! Can't wait for my cable to come back so I can check temps...

Run the mile you are in.

RVD, See how you feel over the next few days. Sometimes muscle pulls heal after a week or so. Yeah you miss those runs but you might be able to turn this week into a cut back week. Sorry - I'm not familiar with Hanson to know if he has cut back weeks and since my cable is out, I can' view your log. Sad

Here is my schedule: (no cut backs )

I would note though that on Saturdays I've been doing 10 and on Wednesdays (an SRD) I was doing 4 and starting to do 6, just to be bumping the mileage up.  This was giving me an extra 8 - 10 miles per week.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...no expo, but our store has most everything and I usually get some advance notice and can try stuff out. I'd like to see with the Inov8 and Altras, and then do a run in the Mizuno Ronin 5s too. I'm leaning toward the latter. Hope you get your cable soon...I'm watching this UMich v Indiana game and am pretty excited for it.