Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 3/28/13 (Read 13 times)

fake it till you make it

Jen...So I plugged your 8k into the predictor on here and it spits out a 3:30:49 as your marathon time.  Do you tend to run faster or slower than your indicators when you're doing longer distances?  You've really had pretty steady mileage since November, so I don't worry about a late race fade too much.  It's just going to be about setting the right pace from the start.  Looking at your log, you seem to have plenty of speed, doing lots of interval work and the like at under 7:00 pace (I didn't quite realize you were that fast, btw!).

I'm not the best race pace predictor, but I really think that sub-3:30 seems like a great goal.  Julia and I differ on this, but I'd start out just a touch over 8:00 for the first 3-5 miles, then try to run through 20-22 at 8:00, and then run your fastest over the last 8-10k.  The other thing I'd say is that you might want to consolidate your goals a little, as there seems to be quite the gap between them.  At least for me, if I've been somewhat unsure of my plan entering a race, I haven't been satisfied with the result.  I almost feel like it's better to set an aggressive plan and to stick to it than it is to waffle in the middle of the race.  That isn't to say you can't still be happy with going under 3:40 if that's what you run, but as far as setting your race plan, I say throw that time out the window.

Hope that advice helped more than it hurt!

Thanks- that's actually super helpful.  I'm a pretty inexperienced racer and pacing is not my forte.   I ran the same 8K last year in 36:20 and then ran a 3:30 marathon 6 weeks later.  I feel like I'm in better shape this year and certainly had some better base and weekly mileage.  If I plug last year's 8k into the RA race calculator it gives me a 3:38.  McMillan gave me a 3:34 based on last year and a 3:26 based on this year's 8K.  And I didn't race quite all out.  The little bit I've raced tends to have me doing better at longer distances. I think you're right that I need to tighten the goals. I'm hoping the crowd at Boston will help me stay a little slower- say 8 mm - for the first few.   I'm afraid sub 3:25 is overly aggressive, but I won't know unless I try either and don't plan to marathon the rest of this year.  Guess I'm just trying to find if it's overly aggressive by a little bit or by a whole-lot-walking-the-last-6-miles bit.  Not sure I can drop the hammer that much at the end...

Julia1971

My new phone arrived!  I feel like I'm joining the 21st Century now that I'll have a phone with a touch screen.  Although, it's still a Blackberry, so...  The little darling is charging now so I can catch up with y'all.

RVD, Pace runs are always hard when you haven't run that distance in a while.  Good luck figuring it out.

Marco, I know what you mean.  I hardly wear my jacket either.  I just like knowing it's there.  Smile

Jack, I'm still so glad to read you're running so well when not that long ago you were "injured".  10 days to Cherry Blossom.  Ack!  I'm feeling less prepared since I've been doing marathon recovery.

SIAR, I'm sure you were protesting running with the old lady.  Wink

Just B.S., It's really tough being a caregiver.  I hope you can get some sleep.  Is there anyone else that can help out?  You probably have more patience than I do but when I'm low on sleep, I become a bear.

JoJo, Get those mile in!

JenRosie, The crop top I bought really makes me want to get rid of some of the my gut.  (I type as I eat Smartfood popcorn and wine for dinner).  Smile

I have a couple thought on the QOTD.  I don't know where to begin because the thoughts are inter-related really.  First, you should really study the course at Boston and assess how you feel about the Newton Hills.  If you're a good hill runner - great, all systems are go.  But, if you're not, I think they're tough enough to run a more conservative race.  And, don't start out too fast!  The start is downhill and everyone's cheering for you so it's easy to go out fast so hold back.  I couldn't find the thread - I checked 10 pages of the Boston 2012 thread and it wasn't there - but BHearn wrote a post last year about how he paces Boston and he seemed quite confident it was solid gold.  Second, this is just me, but - and this is top secret - my best marathon pace predictor so far as been: take the time from my tune-up race, plug it into McMillan, take what he says is my half marathon time and add 13 minutes.  I ignored it this time because I didn't like what it told me (3:22:56) but it's been less than a minute off for all 3 of my National/RnR USA marathons.  So, your 35:01 8K ends up being a 1:38:23.  Double that plus 13 minutes is 3:29:46.  But since you're already run sub-3:30, I might set 3:25 as my goal.  Third, I look at your log and your training and my own and I don't see that much difference other than my crazy volume.  So, if the conditions are right, I would go for it.  And study up on the course.  If you run like a jackarse, you may regret it.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia... I like your theory. It gives me a 2:57:06. Have fun with that new touch screen.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

Julia... I like your theory. It gives me a 2:57:06. Have fun with that new touch screen.

It's been working for me.  But, I've only run National/RnR and Boston, so, it really hasn't been tested very well.

Bad Ass

Enjoy the new phone, Julia.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

Testing

123.  Cool

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

Julia: Congrats on the new phone! Bummer about the MCM registration problem, looks like at least you have a couple other ideas of how to get a bib. Hope they get a better system for future years.

Docket: Glad Trixie ate and cuddled with you. Sounds like she must be feeling better.

Scott: Know what you mean about work--I prefer to be busy myself.

RVD: Great job with the MP miles.

marco: Nice job with the miles.

jack: Wow, awesome job with that workout. Always fun to read your workouts, looks like you'll have a great race at Cherry Blossom.

JenRosie: I have not run Boston, but if you are not sure of the 3:25 goal I would agree to start out a little conservatively, depending on how confident you feel about the hills later, like Julia suggested. Just don't pace like me, and you'll be fine, haha.

B.S.: Good luck getting some sleep. That would be really tough for me, hope things get better so you can get some rest.

jojo: Nice work with the miles.

SIAR: I have had that before where the legs are so fatigued you worry they won't be ready in time. Just adjust according to how you feel and scale back the runs if you need to. You've logged so many miles already, I'm sure you'll have a great race.

The group run was fun last night, ran just a little faster than easy. First mile started out easy, but the rest around 8:40-8:45 range. Felt good to run just a bit faster. I did eat some pizza after, but the pieces were cut very narrow, so it was pretty easy not to eat too much. The Brooks people were there, and now I have another Brooks pint glass to match the one I got a while back. Quite a few people were there and I caught up with some people I hadn't seen since before the marathon. I was down another half a pound when I got up this morning.

Didn't run today, just did upper body weights and core. Got to try to go to sleep now, I have to get up early to run with BoMF (doing extra runs with them this week because of a mileage challenge, we are trying to up our team mileage).

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09