Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - Happy St. Patrick's Day! (Read 13 times)

So, I ran 3 more with Casper.  The wind was horrible and I should've stayed home.  PR for him in the past year.

nts--sorry you didn't make your goal.  We're the hills a factor or was it the warmer than expected temps?  Hope you had a good time

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Swift...that is a frustrating amount to miss your goal by, but the reality is that just a few seconds say nothing about your fitness, regardless of how those seconds shape your view of the outcome. Like you said, they're just about conditions and strategy and nothing else. Regardless, sounds like you ran a great race on a tough day and in difficult conditions.

Pressing...you're sick AGAIN?? Smile. Teasing..feel better and rest up.

Marco...awesome mileage work. Keep building that confidence for Boston.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Mostly Harmless

Susan - I'm sure it has to be a little disappointing to come that close to your goal and not quite hit it.  In reality though, you ran a great time on a really tough course in warmer temps than you are accustomed to.  To me, there is a lot to be proud of there for sure.  Your training for this race was really something to admire. I admire your commitment and dedication to your training a lot.  I'm willing to bet that if you decide to run another one sometime this spring on a flatter course, 3:55 will be a piece of cake.  Congratulations on a great race!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Finally PRed!!!

Thanks everyone!

marco: I really think the biggest factor was my pacing. I don't feel like I can blame it on the hills since I knew about the hills and trained on them.

My official splits show I was running 8:49 pace at the half--I think if I'd been around 8:55, I'd have handled the hills at the end and the warming temps better. One of the pace team guys that I kind of know (he was also running ahead of the main pacer but not as far ahead as I was) passed me around mile 20-21, and he called out encouragement to me that we were still on it. I tried to stay with him but couldn't. Then the other pacers went by me at mile 22 and I tried to stay with them, but my pace was erratic as I tried to get back on track and couldn't. Even at 24 I could have pulled it off with a couple really solid miles, could still see the pacers with the flag up ahead, but the legs did not have it. I was getting cramps in my feet starting around 21-22 also, Sure sign I ran too fast early on, something I have done in every marathon, not way too fast this time, but enough to cost me the time I needed to get under 3:55.

The bigger picture is I need to lose 8-10 pounds, because when I ran my PR I was about that much lighter. There's the edge I need to get me back to PR shape right there.

But really, I'm okay with it... Smile Not too disappointed.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

jojo61397

NTS-- I can vouch that 8-10 pounds makes a HUGE difference.  I'm about 15 pounds lighter from when I did 26.2 with Donna and I got a 10 minute PR on a much harder course with about 40 degree temperature difference!  I'm going to marathon shop for my next race now.  If I don't get into NYC Marathon, I'm thinking one of the marathons over Veteran's Day or something closer to Christmas.  This time I'm going for a flatter course.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
            Sub- 1:45 hour half.

jojo61397

Oh and for those that do weight watchers.  Plugged in my active link-- marathon netted me 45 activity points lol...

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

Finally PRed!!!

jojo: Yes I agree, almost all of my race times would be almost in a line when plotted against my weight. Only one that would not be is my PR, which I ran at actually 2-3 lbs heavier than my next best time, but those times were fairly close. Last year at Buffalo I was heavier than now ,and I'm sure that's a big reason why I was slower. It has really been tougher since I got farther into my 40s. Got to really start keeping track of all my calories I guess.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

jojo61397

I suggest doing weight watchers, if you can swing it.  I work for the company (and I recently quit), but I lost 100 pounds on the program-- I swear by it.  Easy to do on-line, and they have this new thing called the Active Link which is like a body bugg.  The best thing about it, is they use a diet that is similar to the Glycemic Index, which is what runners should be eating. I cut carbs, increased protein, and the weight started just falling off.

jojo: Yes I agree, almost all of my race times would be almost in a line when plotted against my weight. Only one that would not be is my PR, which I ran at actually 2-3 lbs heavier than my next best time, but those times were fairly close. Last year at Buffalo I was heavier than now ,and I'm sure that's a big reason why I was slower. It has really been tougher since I got farther into my 40s. Got to really start keeping track of all my calories I guess.

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

Julia1971

I had the best nap!  I know I probably should have done some walking around today but all I did was sleep and eat.  Smile  Oh, and thank people.  So many of my friends came out to cheer me on or sent emails/texts to congratulate me.  Other than my birthday, I'm not sure I ever get this much attention.

Scott, How are you feeling today?

SIAR, No bath yet but I'm thinking I might be due for a massage.  I'm thinking the masseuse might be able to tell me what's going on with my hamstring.  It's almost like it's spasming?  I'm not sure.  But, I feel like if it was a pull, I would have seized up at some point in the marathon.  There were only a couple of spots where I really thought it might fail me.

Swift, That's the problem with the marathon -most times you don't find out you paced things too fast until after Mile 20.  LOL!  But, you held on and that'll serve you well in future races.  I'm glad you're not disappointed.  You trained so well and should be proud.

JoJo, I think sub-4 is very achievable for you on a flatter course.  I'm glad you're already looking at fall races.  I hope you get in to NYCM.

Marco, Nice job on the double.  I was just checking out BAA's site - 28 days to go!

Pressing, Aren't naps the best?  Thanks for checking in on us.

B.S., It sounds like it's going to be quite an adjustment for you and her.  It's wonderful that you can be there for her.

Run the mile you are in.

Bad Ass

When you are struggling to finish in an hour slower than your PR, you know the race wasn't good.  Tough day for me between the hills and the low energy.

Need to read Julia's RR and page 2 to see if RVD posted. Great job, everybody!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."