Marathoner Dailies

Question (Read 116 times)

CompetitiveChik

I've noticed lately that I'm not as flexible as I used to be. The back of my legs are always tight. I stretched for about 10 min yesterday and was only able to bend over about 2inches more. I know I need to be more flexible and I really feel like this would help me in my running.

What do you guys/galls do to keep the legs loose? (especially the back of the legs) And how often do you do it? Before/after running? Do you stretch 2-3 x a day or just before and after a run?

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Bad Ass

I don't stretch but when I do is after running.  I have a couple of stretching/yoga exercises between 20-30 minutes that might help.

Lack of flexibility and long distance running is normal.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Just B.S.

I don't stretch but when I do is after running.  I have a couple of stretching/yoga exercises between 20-30 minutes that might help.

Lack of flexibility and long distance running is normal.

Actually I wouldn't say that. It's normal if you don't stretch enough.

I am extremely flexible and I stretch and do Pilates every day. I did my first half in 2003 and have been consistenly

doing them for 10 years, plus the marathons. I had a bad pifiromis injury in 2005 and have put stretching into my

daily routine ever since then. Which is what I give credit for  my current 7 year stretch of non-injuries.

I never stretch before a run but I do a short stretch out afterward. Most of my stretching/strengthening is done while

watching TV at night.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I really only worry about flexibility if I'm going to be racing something short annd fast. That said, I focus on my hip flexors and hamstrings for 5-10 min post run (basically lunge stretches and the bend over and touch your toes variety).

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

I say that because there is research on it.  That the longer the distances run, the shorter the stride of the runner (on average) and the less flexible they become because of this new stride.  I have to find the article talking about it.

Actually I wouldn't say that. It's normal if you don't stretch enough.

I am extremely flexible and I stretch and do Pilates every day. I did my first half in 2003 and have been consistenly

doing them for 10 years, plus the marathons. I had a bad pifiromis injury in 2005 and have put stretching into my

daily routine ever since then. Which is what I give credit for  my current 7 year stretch of non-injuries.

I never stretch before a run but I do a short stretch out afterward. Most of my stretching/strengthening is done while

watching TV at night.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Just B.S.

I say that because there is research on it.  That the longer the distances run, the shorter the stride of the runner (on average) and the less flexible they become because of this new stride.  I have to find the article talking about it.

Maybe that is why so many distance runners are now understanding the value of adding yoga and pilates

type exercises to their regimes. I know that I am far more flexbile than I was before I became a runner in 2000

because I was never vigalent about a good stretching routine and after that injury in 2005 I made it a  priority

to stretch every day..  I didn't start full marathons until 2010 and am more flexible than ever because I stretch

more than ever to avoid injury.

xor

The problem is that there IS research that indicates that stretching (especially pre-run stretching) correlates to higher incidence of injury.  And little to no research that indicates that stretching decreases injury risk.

If you want to regain flexibility, stretch.  AFTER.  Before can be problematic... but if you feel you must, definitely warm up first.

It may or may not make you a better runner.

As for pilates and yoga, there's more going on there beyond flexibility improvements.  Lots of strength work, especially of stabilizer muscles and balance-y stuff.  That stuff is MONEY for running, especially trail running.

CompetitiveChik

thanks everyone.

I'm gettin to where I enjoy the yoga a bit more everytime I do it. maybe one of these days I'll actually do the 1 1/2hr video. I have noticed a difference in flexability when I'm done and when I stretch in the morning. I also like the strengthening and balance portion of it as well. I have heard that it can make someone a better runner so I'll be watchin for that too.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Just B.S.

As for pilates and yoga, there's more going on there beyond flexibility improvements.  Lots of strength work, especially of stabilizer muscles and balance-y stuff.  That stuff is MONEY for running, especially trail running.

That . I never stretch before running but have been doing Pilates since 2004. I love the way it combines stretch

and strength moves especially the core work.

I don't stretch, unless after a marathon.  I guess I don't run fast enough or far enough to get sore.