Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 11/30 (Read 203 times)

formerly614

Press- Glad you recognized me. For some reason my avatar isn't loading and I had to change my user name since they won't let me use one that starts with numbers. Thanks for the input on the taper. I think I will be closer to your 6 than SIARS planned 50 haha.

SIAR- Good to see you!  50 miles for the last week of taper?  That is close to my peak week haha. You must have really stepped up the mileage, that's awesome! How has the golf been this season? Also, Rachel was CC (competitivechick).

Hi Marco, Docket and everyone else. I will hopefully have more time to post here and get to know everyone that I haven't met before.

thinkin about glory days

Hi, guys- 

Just a quick check in before I have to get back to work.  I'll try to make it back for personals later.  I did 5 easy miles this morning while watching some TV on the treadmill.  I'm catching up on Boardwalk Empire

Sprinkles and RVDowning, welcome!  I saw your posts but forgot to go back and add your races.  My bad.  I think markrice wanted us to add his (Boston) as well.

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

Brains aint me forte

I added Sprinkles and RVDowning's races to the calendar.  I went back and checked but didn't see a request from MarkRice.  I probably just missed it.  Mark if you could just post a reminder it will get added.

While I was at it, I took the liberty of cleaning up some messy html that was bugging me and formatted all the race entries the same. Yes I know I'm both a nerd AND have a touch of OCD and that makes for a truly awful combination.  How a landed a drop dead gorgeous wife still boggles my mind and it's been 21 years since I tricked charmed her into marrying me.

I briefly considered reformatting the entire calendar in table format but decided against it.  thought better of it but then decided to try it anyway just to see how it turned out.

Name Date Race Goal
        December
        Not Too Swift 12/1 Atlanta Beltline Eastside 10K  
        So_Im_A_Runner 12/1 Ashland HM 1:35 Pacer
        Docket_Rocket 12/2 Las Vegas Marathon  
        ImNotScott 12/2 ChristmasTown Dash 8K Have fun running with my son.
        Joel1775 12/8 Rehoboth Beach Marathon  
        Docket Rocket 12/9 Weston Half Marathon  
        January
        You get the idea...      

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Just B.S.

Pressing--I looked last night at last year's running log.  -2 was the coldest I ran in last year.  We usually have a day or two of -10 during the winter.  Then again, I have only lived here four years.  It was -25 just before I arrived in 2009.

I have to run out but I'll be back later.

Just wanted to say that we have been having fairly warm winters since you moved up here and have been my neighbour

to the south. So thanks for that!LOL

Last winter was so mild that I don't think we had more than 10 days under -5F and we were calling it the "winter of no winter".

I only had my balaclava out 4 or 5 times all winter!

thinkin about glory days

QOTD: low 20s, although I had an URD a few days before my most recent marathon, so I had done less than 20.

Scott, I like the columns.  Thanks for adding those races.

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

614...I've got a Hudson plan going for Toledo that's 20 weeks, starts at 56 and peaks at 87 miles. There really isn't too much of a taper. Pfitz's 18 week plan that peaks at 85 miles does 54 two weeks out and 36 the week of (that was the other plan I considered). I can't say that I'll actually get that many miles, but I do want to try not backing off so much in taper. I forgot we had two Rachels (CC and Runnrchik), but I miss them both. Golf was pretty good...I'm still playing actually. I broke par for 9 holes for the first time (35) and had my usual handful of high 70s rounds. Did you play any, or camp and do more outdoor stuff? SCOTT....thanks much for the calendar work. Very pretty. BETH...hi! My balaclavas have been gathering dust too. I do not mind.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

DR: Have  a safe trip!

SIAR: must be nice to have to practice slowing down to hit  that pace!

SRD for me today, heading over in a bit to pick up my bib and stuff. This 10K tomorrow should be interesting, looks to be a bit higher participation than the orgs were maybe expecting. Apparently about 1400 runners and walkers, which means the narrow section of trail in the middle of the race could be a bit of a bottleneck. The part before that is fairly wide, and the trail part doesn't start until after the 2 mile mark, so I'm hoping that if I position myself correctly at the start,  I won't get boxed in too bad,

Legs feel ok, think they'll be fine by tomorrow.

QOTD: You mean last week as in the week that includes the race, but the mileage in that week not including race mileage? For me it is usually very light, especially this last time as I was overtrained leading into taper. So I only ran 15 miles in that week, not including the race (I count my weeks Mon-Sun so race fell on last day of that week). Week prior to race week I ran 32.

I'll try to get back later for more personals! Hope everyone's having a great Friday.

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

jojo61397

SIAR-- I don't normally do 24 mile runs, but I'm doing Goofy challenge, which is longer than a marathon-- running around 44 miles in a 72 hour period, so I want to stretch my distance a little bit.  I'll probably end up doing 23-24 miles.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                  Sub- 1:45 hour half.

PressingOn

614...I've got a Hudson plan going for Toledo that's 20 weeks, starts at 56 and peaks at 87 miles. There really isn't too much of a taper. Pfitz's 18 week plan that peaks at 85 miles does 54 two weeks out and 36 the week of (that was the other plan I considered). I can't say that I'll actually get that many miles, but I do want to try not backing off so much in taper. I forgot we had two Rachels (CC and Runnrchik), but I miss them both. Golf was pretty good...I'm still playing actually. I broke par for 9 holes for the first time (35) and had my usual handful of high 70s rounds. Did you play any, or camp and do more outdoor stuff? SCOTT....thanks much for the calendar work. Very pretty. BETH...hi! My balaclavas have been gathering dust too. I do not mind.

No, we didn't. I screwed up. 614 is right.  Rachel was CC.  Runnrchic is Jodi, I think.  Not JoJo paddle boarding Jodi but cake making Jodi.  I think.  Lol!

614 - Yeah, 6 miles was pretty low but it was Thanksgiving and life was interrupted.  Good time to taper, actually.

Hill - Good TM run?  I don't know how you watch tv and run.  I cannot keep my motivation with the boob tube talking to me.  It says, "Go on.  Sit down.  Kick your feet up.  Have a snack."  

Beth - That's no winter, huh?  Wow.  Enjoy your run today in mild temperatures.

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

onemile - I had an 8 miler like that just days ago... legs didn't want to go. When I forgot to restart my watch, I just scrapped it at 6 miles. They were fine the next day.

formerly - As To the QOTD: I'd say it's been 35 (before race) as I recall... just following the Pfitz program... mostly to a T. I once wished I had cut more, but that was the FIRST week of taper (3 weeks out) as the schedules don't reduce the mileage much there. But the race went well anyway.

SoImARunner - No... the only track is about 5 miles away and I usually run straight out the door. But the area is relatively flat. For intervals, I often go by feel and check pace/HR at the END of the interval. With 100's though, even the end isn't too reliable, but gives some calibration for comparison.  

SoImARunner 2 - I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND being tied to those numbers. It's all good... Pace certainly works; what sold me on it was the comparison to what I've done with it vs. without... YET it was so tied with higher mileage, one could easily argue about the contribution of HR vs higher mileage. If you are anywhere NEAR a race, I would not even consider changing. It will take some time to calibrate to HR (specifically, the tempo run that works best for you. If you KNOW the pace for a given course, that time can be greatly shortened though). You gotta do what's right for you. I'd be glad to help if I can.

hilltopper / ImNotScott - Yes, 2013 Boston is the next scheduled race, realistic goal is sub 3:15 (dream goal of sub 3:10). Thanks.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

formerly614

SIAR- That plan will be some serious running. What kind of goal will you be shooting for? I only wish I could log that many miles but at my pace I'd have to quit my job or be out running til midnight haha. I actually played in a golf league through work this past summer and came in second place. Thank god for handicaps and I honestly didn't sandbag during the handicap weeks either Wink. As far as outdoor stuff goes I'm getting ready to head out now for a weekend backpack trip. Will be trying to keep up here when I get back. Scott- I like the new format for the calendar. Definitely easier to read and more organized. Swift- good luck on your 10k. That is a distance I have yet to race but seems like a great mix of endurance and speed. Jodi- good luck on the 24! Are you going to back it up with another semi-long run? Press - yes runnrchic was cake making Jodi. Don't ask how I remember these things haha. Have a great weekend everyone!
                        formerly614

Sorry about the formatting above. Tried posting from my android tablet and it didn't come out to well.

Brains aint me forte

QOTD: I've only run one marathon. I didn't run very many miles at all that week, I'm too lazy to go back and look but I would guess somewhere around 20.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                            Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp