Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 3/10/13 Welcome to Daylight Savings Time (Read 11 times)

jojo61397

I got it out of my personal training certification book...  And that was published some time ago.

Thanks!  I couldn't remember if it was you or PressingOn that had done something similar not too long ago.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
    Sub- 1:45 hour half.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Okay, time for you all to get your individual attention...

Julia...I'm not too sure how to feel about the fact that you have a cow bell lol.  That's too bad you didn't get to use it though.  It's an interesting discussion about the carb loading.  Here was the strategy I tried for my last marathon (these aren't my words, I took it from LTH on the beginner's forum).  Unfortunately, my results were inconclusive due to lots of other factors.

"Here is the carb load I did for the marathon.  I paid attention to the study from the 2009 London marathon that showed that runners who consumed more than 7 g of carbohydrate per kg of body weight ran much, much better in the latter parts of the race.

On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I ate extra protein.  On Thursday I ate a normal diet although it was carb heavy.  On Friday I ate a carb heavy diet but still just a normal diet (although I did substitute a couple of 20 ounce Gatorades during the day for my typical Diet Pepsi).  The key was Saturday.  Here is what I took in on Saturday.  (I should also note that I deliberately spent most of the afternoon doing nothing but sitting on the hotel bed watching basketball).

Breakfast - 3 slices of Texas toast French bread loaded with oodles of syrup (20 g carbs per slice.  Don't know about the syrup)

Snack - Milky Way (41 g carbs)

Lunch - Grilled chicken with rice.  (about 40 g carbs)  2 glasses of southern sweet tea to drink (23 g per tablespoon of sugar so about 45 g of carbs)

Dinner - Capelinni Pomodoro at Olive Garden (141 grams of carbs).  1 bread stick (26 g carbs)  Dark Chocolat Cake Dolcini (25 g carbs)

Additionally I had six Gatorade powder sticks that were 36 grams of carbs each.  That's 216 g of carbs.  Plus I had 1 quart of regular strength Gatorade.  That's 56 grams of carbs.

Total - 563 grams of carbohydrate and that didn't count the syrup so let's call it an even 600 grams.  I weigh 70 kg so I'd need 490 for 7 g of carbs per kg of body weight and 700 g of carbs for the 10 g of carbs per kg of body weight they recommend for elite athletes.  Given how good my legs felt for the last few miles compared to how they felt in my first marathon, given how I only faded by about 10 seconds per mile rather than the 20 seconds per mile for Miles 21-24 in my first marathon, and given that this race was brutally humid, I am sold on the extreme carb load."

Docket...You've had a couple rough days huh?  Hopefully you're on the up-tick.  Glad the 10 felt pretty good though.

NotScott...The kids are getting older but you're staying the same age, right?  Glad you made it all the way through the 7.

Swift...I didn't miss the hour either, and am looking forward to this late sun.  That's awesome that you've run the whole course pretty much - so smart to do if you have the chance.  You'll be good to go!

Jodi..Nice work on your 12.  A motorcycle gang sounds pretty intense!  I'm glad it wasn't worse.  Keep up the great paces.

Jen...Nice week for you!  Happy birthday to your little guy.  He has quite the story, and I'm can just imagine how good it makes your family feel that he'll be the one to get to tell it.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

I have to admit that I don't even know what foods are rich in carbs.  After 14 in the VFFs on the TM yesterday my calves are sore.  It's the first muscle soreness I have had since the marathon in October.  Did 8.5 with the last 1.5 with Casper the Boxer.  It was his first run since fall and he is doing what I would like to be doing...napping.

However, I have laundry to fold while DW makes pizza.

Hope you have had a great weekend!

Finally PRed!!!

JenRosie, happy birthday to your DS! Very special little guy.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

JustBeth...if you happen to check in today, this is me asking nicely for the pic of you chugging wine from the bottle that you mentioned in your other thread! Funny stuff.

Marco...I bet Casper enjoyed being back out there. I hope his training picks up though! I don't know too much about carbs either so I always end up researching it before the race. Hope the calves feel better.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

SIAR, Thanks!  That's a lot of carbs.  I think I already eat a lot of carbs but getting 375/400 is going to be a lot.  I have the beginnings of a meal plan for tomorrow and am now trying to figure out who to do high protein on Tuesday.  Hope your feet are feeling better.

Swift, That's a good point about eating a ton.  I'm looking at my draft menu and it does seem like a lot of food.

Marco, I tend to think pasta and that's it.  LOL!  So far, I've been surprised to see that raisins are carb powerhouses.  I wouldn't have guessed...  Hope the calves find a way to be happy.  Poor Casper sounds wiped out.  His little calves probably hurt, too.

Run the mile you are in.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR, Thanks!  That's a lot of carbs.  I think I already eat a lot of carbs but getting 375/400 is going to be a lot.  I have the beginnings of a meal plan for tomorrow and am now trying to figure out who to do high protein on Tuesday.  Hope your feet are feeling better.

Swift, That's a good point about eating a ton.  I'm looking at my draft menu and it does seem like a lot of food.

Marco, I tend to think pasta and that's it.  LOL!  So far, I've been surprised to see that raisins are carb powerhouses.  I wouldn't have guessed...  Hope the calves find a way to be happy.  Poor Casper sounds wiped out.  His little calves probably hurt, too.

I just found my Sat Pre-race menu, so I thought I'd share: gatorade(104), pancakes(164), pasta(86), milky way(41), Greek yogurt(20), rice(86), potatoes(50), kidney beans(77) = 628 carbs. It was a ton of food! What's your menu looking like? Protein shouldn't be too hard to find, right? I'll have to read the article you shared to see what the early week focus looks like.

MTA...my feet feel pretty decent. It's definitely more in the right than left, and I think it feels more like bruising than PF trouble, which makes me happy. I'll just have to be smart, and definitely get enough recovery between quality days.

Julia1971

SIAR, Here's what I have so far for tomorrow:

Pre-Exercise:

Coffee w/Skim Milk & Splenda (0g)

High Carb Post-Run:

Cinnamon Raisin Bagel w/ Honey (70g)

Banana (27g)

Orange Juice (39g)

Snack:

Fig Newtons & Low-Fat Chocolate Milk (65g)

Lunch:

Some kind of sandwich w/90g of carbs?  A raisin sandwich would have about 70.

Dried Cherries (35g)

Snack:

Yogurt & Granola (45g)

Dinner:

Spaghetti & Sauce (60g)

Run the mile you are in.

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: Take care of those feet!

So while running those course miles today, I correctly made the turn I missed last time, and the next couple turns, then there was one part where I started to expect the next turn and wondered if my notes were correct...I stopped for a few seconds to look at my directions and almost started to go back the other way...then I saw a woman in a previous year's Georgia Marathon shirt running toward me. So I ran alongside her for a bit and asked her the way. She said she's running the half, but was nice to point me in the right direction and explain the next few turns..ha, she might have saved me from another mishap. She said, "I can't tell you how many people I've seen standing at that intersection looking at a piece of paper...", haha, made me feel a little better.

jojo: I ran the section from mile 10-11 that looks the worst on the elevation chart, and it really was not bad. I think you should be able to get your PR and much faster, if you adjust pace on the hills (running with the pace group should help with that).

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Julia--that's me....pasta the night before a marathon

Casper got up to 5 miles last summer.  He's not that small...about 85 pounds and all muscle

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...that looks like a fairly low cal way to get some good carbs in. I don't know about the raisin sandwich though!

Swift...I think I said it before, but that's why I think all courses should paint a line for the course like Akron does - you can follow it all year long. Glad you found your way.

Marco...this group needs more Casper pics.

Just B.S.

OMG, you are funny!!! Next weekend we are having  a meeting of our Ireland Crew.  Friend from Princess

has that one on her camera. She is bringing me a stick with all the photos. I promise to post it!

15 for me today, 500 ft of gain @ 2:35, I was pretty happy with that. First long run over 13 miles since Sept

30th marathon and went right back to my MTP without a problem.

We were really busy this weekend. I will be reading and catching up on the weekend tomorrow.

Heading to bed. 6am wake up call for the pool.

P.S. swam 6.5 kilometers this past week over 4 session. Pretty happy about that.Smile

JustBeth...if you happen to check in today, this is me asking nicely for the pic of you chugging wine from the bottle that you mentioned in your other thread! Funny stuff.

Marco...I bet Casper enjoyed being back out there. I hope his training picks up though! I don't know too much about carbs either so I always end up researching it before the race. Hope the calves feel better.