October:

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Julia1971

I'm up!  Despite staying up too late two nights in a row.  I'm scheduled to do a 15 mile long.  Given the time, I'll have to run that in to work.  As I try to wake up, I'll work on making my log public.  No promises I'll finish today but maybe by tomorrow.  Here's a repost of my personals from late yesterday.

Marco, glad to hear it's a move up the ladder rather than a total switch.  Good luck climbing those rungs.

D_R, hope you enjoyed the rest today.  Are you still doing the Goofy Challenge this weekend?

Swift, hope you enjoyed the recovery.

RVD, I'm going to explore making my log public again.  There were two privacy settings I asked Eric about.  I'm not sure if they are things he can do but I might be able to come up with a work around.  Good luck getting up early tomorrow.

CC, I'll send thoughts of cooler temps your way but unfortunately, my track record with willing good weather is not good.  (Exhibit A=Boston, Exhibit B=NYCM).

Hilltopper, I've been trying to save my treadmill workouts until it's really bad out.  Hope you enjoyed the great outdoors.

Pressing, glad DD feels better.  Migraines, huh.  Poor thing...  Sorry about the PayPal account fraud.  Such a hassle.

SIAR, glad you're feeling better...  Don't doubt my girl, Jillian!  She'll get through to them.  White team for the win!

Jack, Hope you get your run in.  I saw your post from yesterday but given your times, I'm a little afraid to critique you're training schedule.  I say, keep doing what you're doing.  Smile

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Bad Ass

Morning!  I spent all afternoon and part of the evening in Court.  Good thing it was an SRD because I came home too late to run.  8 miles with strides tonight.  Off to do my allergy shot and hoping for no bad reaction.

Julie, yes I'm doing the Goofy, why wouldn't I? Confused  Enjoy your 15!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Mostly Harmless

Good morning. Suffering from lack of motivation this morning so I postponed the 14 I was supposed to run to the afternoon. Hopefully the temps will rise a little and I'll be in a better mood.

DS fell snowboarding last weekend and injured his shoulder. X-ray at urgent care was inconclusive so we have an 11:00 appointment with an orthopedic doc.  I hope to get in my run after his appointment.  If we get held up then I plan to just run another 6 miler today and switch the MLR to tomorrow.

Julia - Good job on the 15 this morning. It was really cold out at your early start time!

Damaris - Enjoy the strides today. Fingers crossed that you don't have another bad reaction to the allergy shot!

Edited to brag and add this pic of my DD (#23 in white) that appeared in the local paper.  The pic is from last night's basketball game. Her team was a definite underdog and pulled off a 3 point win.  DD only scored 6 points (season low) but blocked 5 shots.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Was supposed to do an intervals workout today of 2wu+5(1k@5kw400r)+2cd but it was not to be. Since the NCAA football championship game was on last night (Alabama/Notre Dame) and since I had lost a bit more than 20 pounds, I ordered pizza and managed to eat a large one and a bit of a second one myself.

Alabama helped me out by getting ahead 28 - 0 at the half so I could go to bed, and I did get up at 0315 and got to the track about 0445. But that pizza came back to haunt me. I thought I was going to barf and knew there was no way that I was going to be able do do 1k intervals, so I pulled the plug on the endeavor after one lap and went back home and back to bed. Guess I'll try this again tomorrow.

I always watch what I eat carefully and just couldn't handle all the cheese/bacon/etc/etc/etc.

So much for any streak I had going.  Sigh.....

8 done in 5 degree weather at a 9:00 pace.  I am tired of winter already, but doing my best to not think about getting on the TM.

jackdyl11

I got my 8 in last night and 9 this morning in with 8x1000 The first one was in 3:28, then the rest in 3:20-3:15.  I guess I need more warm up.  They all felt fine until the last one, which I had to push.  I did a 5x1000 workout in November where I pushed the last one really hard to come through in 3:12, after which I was spent. Those probably averaged in the high 3 teens too.  I think that means all the running is paying off.  3 very easy recovery miles scheduled for tonight.

Julia - times <> knowledge.  Please let me know what I'm doing wrong!  Good job on getting 15 in.

Docket - Hope you feel better than last time

Scott - Some days are like that.  Do you need to take a day off?  Very cool pic of your daughter!  I can't wait until my boys start playing sports.

RVDowning - That's funny about the pizza.  I know the feeling!  Sometimes you just know its not going to happen.

Marco - As always, good job getting it done in the cold.  Someone at work yesterday was complaining that he couldn't run because it was below 40.  I showed him your post because he didn't believe people could run in that weather.

PressingOn

Hey all!  I've got a group run today with my coach.  She's scheduled an effort paced run today.  I'm really tired so hoping I can pull it out.  I may head to the gym for a swim after but haven't decided for sure yet.  I registered for another marathon.  It's the Cupcake Run Marathon on March 30th.  Julia, would you mind adding it to the calendar for me?  Thanks!

Marco - Congrats on the promotion, I think. Wink And brrr, in regards to those temps.

SIAR - Feeling better? Boo to crooks as salty language made me laugh.  But yes, boo to them!

Julia - How is your niece?

Damaris - Hope the reaction to the shot is not bad. Kind of ironic you have such bad allergic reactions to the allergy shot which is supposed to help, huh?

Scott - Great pic of dd. You have every right to brag. Smile Sorry 'bout ds's injury. Hopefully you'll get some kind of run in with all the extra activity going on around you.

RVD - Lousy pizza taking you down. Well, you tried and in the end, you listened to what your body was telling you. Sorry it wasn't good news.

Jack - Funny about showing Marco's post to your co-worker. Did they feel wimpy after that? Smile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi everyone.  9.18 miles for me this morning with 8x8sec hill sprints.  I hadn't  been able to do any hill sprints for a while because of the conditions, so it felt good to get them in again.  We're actually supposed to get up to 60 by Saturday, so I'm really hoping the snow will finally all melt.  I don't mind running exclusively in the road, but lots of drivers don't seem too fond of it.

Julia...Nice job waking up today Smile  That's great that your making your log viewable.  I'm always nosing through others' logs on here lol.  Oh, and it's still not looking so hot for the white team ha.  It's time to get rid of that straight red line for sure.

Docket...I read that you almost got your car locked away at the court house.  That would have been a real pain!  Good luck with the allergy shot.  Hopefully you'll have enough time for your system to get used to it before Goofy?

NotScott...Good luck finding the drive to get the miles in.  I hope your boy gets some good results.  That's a cool pic...at first I rest read number 23 and thought hmm, she's getting blocked.  But then I saw it was 23 on 23, and read your parenthesis.  Much better!  Does she do the Mutumbo finger wag after getting that many blocks?

RVD...I think we all run so that we can indulge every once in a while, or at least I know that I do.  No need to be rigid all the time considering all the hard work we all do.  The extra sleep was probably good for you too.

Marco...Great work dealing with those temps.  Hopefully it will be a short winter for us all.

Jack...Nice job with the mileage and the intervals.  I haven't been on the track in a while.  One of the differences between Hudson and Daniels (which I've used for my last 3 marathons) is that the track work comes much later in the cycle.  Your slower first rep could be a warmup issue, or it could also just be about remembering what the pace and effort you're looking for feels like.  It's still better to do the first one slower than to blow the whole set by doing it way too quickly.

I'm with Julia that it's a bit intimidating to give you advice with times like those, but as we post more together I'll pay attention and see if there's anything I notice.  For now, it seems like you're getting in some good variety.  Just curious, were you a high school or college runner?

Pressing...Cupcake marathon?  There's just so many ways to go with that!  I bet you'll feel good once you get started running today.  It's good to see that it's not too cold for your coach today too ha.  As for the language, I figure we should keep it family friendly in here, right? Smile

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

Thanks, guys.  This time the shot has gone well...so far.  I might switch workouts and do my recovery run today if needed.

in court but will BBL.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Mostly Harmless

DS saw the doc who ordered an MRI as a precaution but told him to take his arm out of the sling and try to use it a little bit.  No snowboarding or indoor soccer for 6 weeks, so he is done for the season.

I got the 14 done but I probably should have stayed home.  I decided that since I had the day off I would drive down to my favorite trail and run there. I much prefer that over 14 miles in my neighborhood! I was feeling a bit anxious although I can't really say why but I just wanted to get the run done.  So naturally I came out way too fast. I do most of my longer runs at about 9:20 and my first two splits were 8:50 and 8:45. I kept telling myself to slow down but I couldn't seem to do that. I tend to lock into a pace and have a hard time adjusting it.  Finally at the turn around point at mile 7 I stopped and gave myself a stern talking to.  I used even saltier language than SIAR addressing the crooks that hacked PO's PayPal account.  I was finally able to dial it back but the last 7 weren't very much fun.

RVD - I really want a pizza after reading your post. Sorry the workout didn't happen this morning, but cut yourself some slack. You have earned the right to indulge once in a while!

Marco - Good job holding off on the treadmill for another day. Winter can't pass quickly enough for me either.

Jack - Holy crap you are fast!

Pressing - Do you get a cupcake at the finish line?  My local running club puts on a "pie run" every year.  Your entry fee is a pie and your prize for finishing is a pie.  The faster you finish, the more you get to pick from.

SIAR - I'm glad you could get out for your hill sprints today although I still can't figure out why you enjoy them.  DD (or Thing2 as I call her) doesn't have a clue who Matumbo is!

Damaris - I'm glad the shot went well.  Good luck getting your run in later.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

PressingOn

6 miles done with 30 minutes of it at 10 minute hard effort pace intervals.  Is it sad that my hard effort intervals were 8:30 to 8:45 and that's what Scott was clocking on his long run?  At least he said it was too fast for 14 miles.  lol Joking

SIAR - yeah for a good hill workout. You're feeling better and the conditions are improving. I bet that makes for a happy SIAR, huh?

Damaris - Good news on the shot!

Scott - Bad news for your ds and his season. How's he feeling about it?  Good job getting your 14 done even if it did require some rather salty language. lol

Yes, cupcake marathon sounds fun, huh? Not sure about an actual cupcake to eat though. I'm hoping the medal looks like a cupcake and that the shirt will include a cupcake on it. However, I'm a little concerned about the race. It's capped at 50 people and includes all distances from the 5K to 26.2. I'm thinking I could be dead last across the finish line. A new experience? I need it as a qualifying run for Marathon Maniacs so I guess last to finish will still work. Maybe someone will be slower?  Either way, with my pace I'll be close to the course close down time of 5 hours.  Oh well.

jackdyl11

SIAR - I did run in high school, but not well.  I wish I'd trained harder.  We didn't run at all after the cross country season ended, and we didn't have a track team.  My high school PR was about 17:50 (I know I got under 18 once), but who knows how long the course was. My college career lasted about 90 seconds -- I went down to the track, couldn't find the coach, and promptly gave up.  I REALLY wish I had tried to run in college.  I had no idea what I was missing.   I'm not exactly going to win any titles, but I think given the size of the school I went to that I could have made the team.  I did manage to talk my way into an indoor mile at a small college meet last winter.  It was probably the most fun I've ever had in a race, even though I did terribly.

I'd like to follow something like Daniels.  The only reason that I don't is that I love my Tuesday/Thursday running club.  They keep us pretty race-ready throughout the year.  I guess the only way I'm really targeting a race is with mileage and pace runs as I get closer to the big date.  It probably does hurt my times a bit, but I like getting out there with them.  I could skip a month or so to do some base building, I guess. All things to think about before Chicago.

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

Julia: hope you had a nice 15.

Docket: have a good 8. Glad your shot went better this time.

Scott: nice pic of your DD. I have a hard time slowing the pace after I've started too fast also. LOL about the "stern talking to" with salty language. Hope your DS's arm is better soon.

RV: like you said, you can always get the intervals done tomorrow.

marco: nice 8 in that cold.

jack: great job with the 1000s. Hope the recovery miles are good.

SIAR: good job with the 9 and the hill sprints.

Pressing: great job with your intervals. That stinks about the Paypal fraud. That cupcake race sounds like an unusual race, capped at 50 with all those distances.

SRD for me today. My legs don't feel too bad, except the left one has something that almost feels a little (emphasis on "a little") like shin splints. Not too worried at this point, since that happened a few weeks ago on a RD and was fine by next run. I've got two SRDs this week, so I think I'll be able to recover fine from the extra mileage last week. I don't really plan to go much higher than I did last week in this cycle.

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Docket...big thumbs up!

Scott...bummer about the soccer! Does he like indoor? As a goalie, I wasn't a real big fan. Guys strike that thing pretty hard and they are awfully close indoors. As for Thing 2, I think you need to set her up with some YouTube and let the finger wagging begin. Sorry about your run. It's one of those lessons to be learned over time I guess. I have runs where I feel weirdly anxious too, mostly related to speed and not distance though.

jack...sorry you didn't get to have the experience you wanted in college. I played soccer and recall it all very fondly (although I really wish I had been a golfer instead). At least you're having fun and running competitive times now. Having just started running with a group, I can see why you don't want to give it up.

Have you ever looked at Hudson's "Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon?". The thing with Daniels is that it's really 2/3 key workouts a week, and then you run the rest of the week to reach mileage. You essentially have those quality days taken up by the group. Hudson, on the other hand, has workouts for every day. So, if you tried that, you may get a little more structure like it sounds like you're looking for. A lot of the miles will still be easy, but you may find a few new ideas.

pressing...nothing sad about your numbers at all - hard effort is hard effort. Just watch an episode of BL and it makes you realize how few people push themselves like we do. I am pretty happy with the training right now, for sure. I'm actually kinda dreading having to give up some of my miles when tri season starts. I didn't think you'd be eating the cupcake..I was thinking more like, "it's just a marathon, cupcake." You'll be fine with the small field, we have faith.

Swift...glad you're not worried about the shin. I'm sure the rest will do you some good. That's kinda exciting that you hit your peak mileage - nice work!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)