RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

ImNotScott - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Phew, I was so worried someone was going to sneak in there and start a thread at the same time, since I'm sure you're all up at this ridiculous hour Tight lips.  Actually, I don't really feel too tired.  I think we should have 3 or 4 of us this morning, which should help make the run go by a little easier.  On the down side, "push the pace guy" may be there, so could be faster than I'd like.

Have any of you ever had heel spurs?  I think I may have that on my left heel.  It kinda hurts like heck when I'm not running (or golfing), but once I get going it will loosen up.  I've been trying basic calf stretches for it, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of relief.  Any thoughts?

Have a good day!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

SIAR--I was awake when you started the thread, but the bed magnet was too strong. Hope the heel gets better quickly.

took a RD yesterday to stay home with DW who wasn't feeling well.  Will try for around 10 this afternoon.

So_Im_a_Runner- Good morning & thanks for getting us started this morning. Unlike marco59, I was actually still asleep when you kicked things off ... though I did wake up just before 4. I had briefly thought about making today the "summer-shift" and moving my runs to the early morning, but decided to wait until Saturday instead. Hope your group run went well and the pace didn't get too out of control.

marco59- Sorry to hear your DW wasn't feeling well yesterday but hopefully she'll be better today. Enjoy your 10 miles this afternoon.

The past three weeks I've been mainly just been logging miles and recovering from the Illinois marathon. Since then, I've been following one of Pfitz's multiple marathon plans (since my next race is now about 5 weeks out) and this week it shifts more into training mode with a LT workout on Thurs. I'm excited to get back into a bit of speed work, but also somewhat apprehensive because of our warmer temperatures as of late. Regardless, I have 9 miles on the schedule for today and will probably do them later this evening after work.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Julia1971

Another URD for me today.  My throat got so bad yesterday that I almost lost my voice!  It was funny, though - because I was talking in a whisper, other people would talk back in a whisper.  I've decided this isn't allergies and I actually have a cold so I need to rest a bit. Plus, I have a half next weekend and figure my legs might feel a little fresher this way.  I'm even prouder of my 10K.  Hahaha!  Maybe I would have ran even better if I wasn't sick.

SIAR, Hope you had a nice run with the fast guy.  I haven't had any experience with heel spurs.

Marco, Good luck getting the 10 in.

D_R, I thought it was funny your husband wouldn't run in the rain.

Bruce, Glad you got your run in yesterday.  Adjusting for the heat takes time.  I think I read somewhere it takes something like 7-10 days.  It's something like that...  I hope you weren't near the thunderstorms in the mid-west.  The pictures look devastating.

RVD, I hope whatever was ailing you the other day has worked its way out.

Scott, You got a lot of work done over the weekend.  You must save a lot on repair bills.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

10.19 miles in the books.  I was definitely wishing I had left my shirt in the car with the way it was clinging to me.  Only the running store owner showed up, but we still had a nice run.  I'm glad he came though.  I doubt I would have gone 10 miles at that hour on my own.

Marco...My bed magnet was pretty weak this morning, largely due to the fact that a neighbor's dog barked the entire night, so I was pretty much up before the alarm anyway.  I hope your wife is feeling better and that you're able to get your run in.

Bruce...Those multiple marathon plans, or even the reverse taper plans, seem like a good idea.  It's a good amount of structure to keep you from running too much, but also enough to motivate you to get back out there.  The speed may hurt a little at first, but I'm sure you'll adjust quickly.  Regarding the summer shift...mine tends to move the runs to much later in the evening as opposed to early.  The only trouble is that I do occasionally pair the late run with an early one the following day, which actually gives me less recovery time than my typical double.

Julia...I bet your little mouse voice is pretty cute, although I'm sure it's not fun.  The fact that people responded with a whisper is hilarious.  I can't believe you're racing a half this weekend.  I get jealous of you guys that are able to race so often.  Maybe eventually I can build the confidence to be able to do it.  Feel better.

Mostly Harmless

Good morning runners!  I had to cut my 9 miles yesterday short because of some knee pain.  I ended up getting in about 7.5 instead.  I'm not overly concerned about the knee.  Spending so much time on my feet painting with lots of bending and lifting, etc...  I could have finished the 9 but I decided to play it safe.  I'll get out for an easy 5 at lunch as long as it doesn't start hurting again.

More home improvement for me yesterday afternoon.  I ran a new  electric outlet, installed a cabinet and a new microwave all in one afternoon. I'm thrilled to have gotten the whole thing done.  I was seriously considering hiring a contractor to do the work but decided to give it a go.

SIAR - Wow! Mr. Early Riser today!  I hope the group run was good and you kept Push the Pace Guy in check.  I've never had heel spurs but have heard they can be very painful.  I'm sorry you are dealing with that!

Marco - I hope DW is feeling better today.  Have a good 10 later!

Bruce - It sounds like we are having the same weather pattern.  Like you, I've been putting off making the switch to early morning runs but I guess that will have to come pretty soon.  Have a good 9 miles today and welcome back to the fun part of training.  Maybe "fun" isn't the best word for it?  Speed work, hills, etc.. may not be fun but it's more interesting than recovery miles that's for sure.

Julia - I'm sorry you're sick! I guess if there is a silver lining to having a cold, in this case at least it isn't in the middle of training for NYC. Feel better soon!

Damaris - Your DH sounds like my DW.  She has recently decided to do a little running but only in perfect weather conditions.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

Here's a picture from the race this weekend:

SIAR, I was hoping I would develop one of those sexy, deep voices but instead I just sounded pitiful.  People kept offering my cough drops.  LOL!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Mostly Harmless

Here's a picture from the race this weekend:

SIAR, I was hoping I would develop one of those sexy, deep voices but instead I just sounded pitiful.  People kept offering my cough drops.  LOL!

Great picture!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Bad Ass

Morning!  7-11 miles later depending on the weather and the husband.  Part of me wants my husband to chicken out again so I can do 11, ha, but I guess 7 will do if he wants to run part with me.

Julia, great picture!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

RVD...I have a feeling you and I would get into an argument over pace if we ever sat down and talked about it haha.  I understand where you're coming from with nervousness about hitting the paces, because I get that too.  But I also think that pace is a bit of an artificial construct - it's just an estimation of fitness, so not terribly relevant on a day to day basis, at least in my opinion.  Anyway, hope you're feeling better after all that eating!

SIAR: I think I agree with you with regard to fitness, but I'm not interested in fitness per se, but rather in hitting the pace I need to hit to finish my marathon in the time I need to finish it.  I need to maintain ~9:00 mpm regardless of how "fit" I am in order to go sub 4 in Chicago.  The Hansons' program has done me quite well in my last 2 marathons, but I've also been rather religious in trying to hit the training paces.

Legs are feeling strong; been a long time since I've had two consecutive days off.  I think my favorite greenway, where I usually do 10 miles, is probably still flooded after our torrential rains, so I may just do 6 on the 1/3 mile track that goes around a lacross field.

Only a few more days of "vacation" before the start of the next Hansons' 20 week program.

Just B.S.

Morning folks. Haven't been around much since the marathon last weekend so I apologize if I missed

anything important. I had zero post marathon soreness which I think is a great sign coming off a 10

minute PR. I ran that race "semi-easy" for the first half and  "comfortably hard" for the 2nd half and with no

soreness so I know that means I have a better time still in me.

I might even consider running more than  a 40mpw peak week and a plan other than the "Beth Plan" for

the next marathon in the fall. Might even get me to sub 4, who knows?

I never run for at least 5 days post marathon as I prefer to do active recovery in other ways. So I swam 3 times

during the week, ran 5 miles on Saturday, hiked 2 hours with the pup on Sunday, walked a lot and put a few

miles on the bike.

Feeling great, swam this morning and will run 5-6 easy miles later today.

It was a weird week for me and I just didn't feel that chatty. Going from the high of a BIG FAT PR Big grin to my friends

death 3 days later and funeral home visit was very sobering.  Every time these things happen it puts the

importance of running to my life and the lack of importance of races times into great perspective. A friend recently

said to me >>>>>>>Race times are trivial.  Running is not.     

I love this and find it very meaningful, especially given the tragedy in Oklahoma this weekend.

Julia, I love the "Afro Puffs" so freaking cute!! Do people mistake you for an elite at races? I wouldn't be surpised!

Scott, a lot of home repairs/improvements really  aren't very difficult, just take a bit of time but can save lots of money!

Have a good day everyone!

Julia1971

So get this. I'm walking back to work after getting my lunch and some total stranger asks me if I ran in a race this weekend! I'm looking at him like he's crazy and then say "Yeah". He said he lives in the neighborhood and was watching it. He thought I finished 4th but I told him I was 13th. Sad. He told his buddy, "She's a beast, man" which I'm taking as a compliment. We made small talk. I hope he's just a nice man and I don't have a new stalker.

Scott, I'm impressed with the cabinetry. I've been wanting to redo my kitchen for years now but never seem to get around to calling contractors.

D_R, I'm guessing he's not the type to miss two runs. Hope I'm wrong and he's lazy. LOL!

RVD I'm planning to be tougher about hitting paces in workout this next go around. I feel like I experimented with a lot of different things the last time and know what's not going to work for me... Glad you're feeling strong going in to this cycle.

Just B.S., I'm so sorry to see your friend passed. Yes, tragedy does put running in perspective. Watch the tmv. Last night, I was struck by how many people list so much in an instant. So very sad... sounds like you're having a nice marathon recovery!

Bad Ass

Good luck with the new fan!

And at least it's sunny for now.

So get this. I'm walking back to work after getting my lunch and some total stranger asks me if I ran in a race this weekend! I'm looking at him like he's crazy and then say "Yeah". He said he lives in the neighborhood and was watching it. He thought I finished 4th but I told him I was 13th. Sad. He told his buddy, "She's a beast, man" which I'm taking as a compliment. We made small talk. I hope he's just a nice man and I don't have a new stalker.

Scott, I'm impressed with the cabinetry. I've been wanting to redo my kitchen for years now but never seem to get around to calling contractors.

D_R, I'm guessing he's not the type to miss two runs. Hope I'm wrong and he's lazy. LOL!

RVD I'm planning to be tougher about hitting paces in workout this next go around. I feel like I experimented with a lot of different things the last time and know what's not going to work for me... Glad you're feeling strong going in to this cycle.

Just B.S., I'm so sorry to see your friend passed. Yes, tragedy does put running in perspective. Watch the tmv. Last night, I was struck by how many people list so much in an instant. So very sad... sounds like you're having a nice marathon recovery!

Blog

Bad Ass

Beth, again, sorry about your friend.  You have a good perspective about life and running.  Enjoy the little things in life while you can is my motto.

Blog