PressingOn - 3/30 - Cupcake Run 5K

April:

Docket_Rocket - 04/07 - Marathon Paris

runnrchic- 04/07- Gulf Coast HM, Pensacola

Julia1971 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

Jackdyl11 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

joe1775 - 4/13  - Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50

Docket_Rocket - 04/14 - Key Biscayne Half Marathon

So_Im_a_Runner - 4/14 Union Half Marathon (1:30 pacer)

marco59 - 4/15 - Boston - goal: 3:05

markrice - 4/15 Boston - goal sub 3:15

GregTR - 4/15 - Boston

JenRosie - 4/15 - Boston

onemile - 04/20 - Carmel Marathon

Xrayman: 4/21: Lansing Marathon

GregTR - 4/21 - London Marathon

SIAR - 4/28 - Glass City Marathon

GoneFishing - 04/28 - Big Sur, CA

Julia1971 - 4/28 - Nike Women's Half Marathon

May:

hilltopper91 - 05/05 - Broad Street Run

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

PressingOn - 5/5 - Tacoma City Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19-Run for the Red Marathon

runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 06/16/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4- Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

August:

Patti678- 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Julia1971

Good morning, runners.  How am I the first one up?

Another SRD for me today.  Muscles and tendons are on the verge of feeling completely recovered.  I'll be giving myself at least another day and thinking maybe I'll run on Thursday.  I added two of my April races to the calendar - I'm running the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in 2.5 weeks.  Shocked  And, Nike's Women's Half Marathon at the end of April.  So, I really do need to ease myself back into running soon.  I'm still not in a "training" mindset, though.  That might not kick in until next week.

Edited to add: I have been thinking about some of the things I may want to do differently next time.  I probably will cycle in more rest days and/or go back to a longer taper.  I didn't feel very rested going into the race and I'm wondering if my hamstring was just plain tired.  I also need to find people to race with.  I do pretty well on my own but the master's woman who beat me had a guy friend running just a few footsteps ahead of her.  I think he helped spur her to run just a little faster and blocked the wind a little for her in the section where I faded.  It might have been helpful to have someone help with the mental aspects of the race, too.  Anyway, just some initial thoughts on what I learned.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

jojo61397

2-3 miles just to shake out.  Ended up doing the work out of the day (WOD), because there was no leg work yesterday.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
        Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Finally PRed!!!

Julia: Enjoy the rest. Good to think about what you learned from this one and may do differently. I'm kind of doing that, too.

jojo: Enjoy the 2-3 miles.

Walked 1 slow mile yesterday, and I'll walk a bit again today. I think I'll start running again on Friday. My legs feel like they could run slowly now, but a few days of rest will be good for a mental break. I'll plan a shorter spring-summer cycle to get faster for shorter races leading up to the Peachtree and maybe some other races this summer. Of course I'll have a few recovery weeks first.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

jackdyl11

Julia - If you're going to add CB, could you add me as well?  Jackdyl11 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler .  Racing with people is much easier.  Were you running in a pack or by yourself for most of the time?  I know people have observed a relatinoship between pace and clustering - the faster the pace, the more tightly clustered runners tend to be.  I'd say it is partially wind resistance and partially because you can take your mind off the pace and relax a little bit behind someone, even if you don't know them.

Jojo - Have fun on the 2-3 miles and the WOD

NTS - Enjoy the walk and the mental break.

I had an interesting workout today.  It was supposed to be 8x800 with 1 minute rest at low end threshold, pretty boring.  I was hoping I would get to do more. I started out at 2:45ish, and worked down to 2:34.  That's well faster than 1 hour pace, but with the breaks it felt easy enough through 6.  I could feel the workout a little on 7, after which my coach told me I'd be doing 9 total.  So I get through 8, and he tells me to run the first lap of 9 like I had been in 1:16-1:17, and then speed up to 1:14 for a 2:31.  Doesn't sound too hard, but I figure I'm a little bit more tired now so I push harder on the first lap than I had been.  I went through 400 in 1:14, so to speed up 2-3 seconds I now need 1:11-1:12.  I start really pushing it, and kick down the last 100, but right before I finish my coach informs me I have another 100m to go.  I managed it, but that was painful!!  I went through 800 in 2:23, so 1:09 for the second lap, which is my mile PR pace.  Apparently it was supposed to help with keeping my form while tired, or practicing the last lap of a mile, or something like that.

extremely busy at work

supposed to get 10 inches of snow or more starting later today.  May take a RD tomorrow because of it and also it is DW's birthday.  12 easy ones done earlier in 20 degree weather.

Mostly Harmless

Good morning!

Julia - It's funny how you are already working on your strategy for your next race.  I'm having thoughts like that too.  I may look for a coach to help me train for Marine Corps if I get in.  My local running club will be a good resource with that.

Jodi - Enjoy the recovery run.  I'm glad you are bouncing back so quickly after running such a great race!

NTS - I like your plan for the upcoming months.  Enjoy your well earned rest days.  I haven't read your RR yet because I didn't want to rush through it.  As soon as I finish here I'm going to go give that a read.

My plans for the spring are to resume running slowly over the next few weeks and then start to get ready for a HM in early May.  I haven't decided if I want to run that race for time or just for fun.  I'm very goal oriented which isn't a bad thing but sometimes I think it takes away from the fun aspect of running.

I also have a lot of projects around the house that have been neglected while I trained.  We will have a graduation party for my DD in a couple months and want the house to shine.  My DW has been my biggest fan and supporter through training so I want to pay her back by getting as much done as I can.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Well, missed my A goal (sub 4:20) and my B goal (PR sub 4:22:12) but at least didn't miss my C goal of 4:30.  Official time was 4:25:45.

I ended up with a bad cold.  I had half a pancake on Saturday morning and stayed in bed most of the rest of the day.  DD dragged me out for some dinner, but I couldn't really eat.  I had a few bites of a tuna salad, but that was it.  I was considering a DNS.

Anyway, felt better on Sunday morning and did the race.  I could have started out a bit faster but was hemmed in my traffic.  I was doing ok until I started fading around mile 20 and started seeing my A & B goals slip away.  I think I would have been ok if I hadn't been sick.  There was some serious wind and the wind chill was down in the low 30s for the race.

Anyway, it was a nice run, well organized and a nice venue.  I'm already registered for next year.

Next race is the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon (not a trail marathon) in seven weeks.

My question now is whether to modify my goal of 4:15 for Lake Wobegon given that I didn't hit my 4:20 goal this time.  I think I'll go ahead and train using the 4:15 paces and see what happens.

Mostly Harmless

Jack and Marco, cross posted.

Jack -  I've never done track work so I can't really relate to from a personal experience level, but it actually sounds kind of like fun and tough at the same time!

Marco - Winter is being very stubborn about leaving this year!  It sounds like all the rain we had yesterday has found you and turned to snow.  I hope the job settles down soon and happy birthday to your DW!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Bad Ass

Morning!  I am at work wishing I was still on vacation, haha.  Planning on a short recovery run tonight.

Julia, I think you did great this time around. Always consider the stuff you cannot control.  Maybe it was just an off day, plus all that stuff that stressed you out I'm sure had something to do with it.

Jodi, enjoy your recovery run.

swift, love the new avi.  I call that the Docket pose, LOL.

jackdyl, nice workout.

marco, nice run.  Hope the snow leaves you guys alone.

Scott, sounds like a plan.

RVD, is that a PR for you?  Considering the cold, I think you did great.

Have a nice day!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

RVD, is that a PR for you?  Considering the cold, I think you did great.

Nope, no PR.  My PR is 4:22:12.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Morning all.  Looks like it's going to be a later run for me today, since I haven't done it yet.  I don't know what I'm going to do.  I'd love a track session, but it's gusting at about 25mph here and that doesn't sound fun.  If I don't do the track I'll just run easy miles, probably for a total of 12 either way.

Julia...Wow, those races are coming up fast!  I don't think I've ever done anything on that short of recovery.  Your strategy changes are interesting.  Did you feel fatigued during the training?  Maybe the hamstring was just an anomaly and unrelated to the rest?  I'm worried about not feeling rested enough for my race too, but am committed to trying the reduced taper this time.  As for running with others, how do you go about that?  I always find myself running alone at races, and I figure there is some kind of pack strategy I just don't know about.

Jodi...Shaking it out already?  Very nice.

NotSwift...Enjoy the last of your rest days.  Having Peachtree to look forward too sounds awesome.

Jack...Sounds like a great workout!  It must be so fun to have a coach there with you putting you through the laps like that.

Marco...Good job on the 12 miles...enjoy the rest and DWs bday.

Scott...A half seems like a good race distance to follow up your full with.  Do you think your training would differ much if you ran it with a goal as opposed to without?  It made me laugh that your DD has a graduation party and you're worried about the house - like forget her, it's all about the house haha.  I know what you were saying though, just giving you a hard time.

RVD...Being that close to your goal while not feeling well is pretty darn good!  Just my .02, but they always say to train based on your current fitness as opposed to for the time that you want to run.  I know you train pretty aggressively though, and I'm more conservative.

Docket...Hard to go back huh?  Hope you're feeling well and that you get that nose trouble under control.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

Jack, I added CB10M for you. I saw they adjusted the peak bloom dates and we should be running under a beautiful canopy of pink!... I was running by myself the whole time. I tried to tuck behind some runners and relax but they usually were going slower than me and I would end up passing them pretty quickly. People really seemed to be fading in the second half whereas I was staying steady for the most part... That sounds like a grueling workout.

Scott, I feel like when I start to put all of this together, I'm going to be dangerous. LOL! A coach could be good or training group could be good. I think the hard part can be finding a coach you sync with. I think there are plenty of good ones in our area though.

D_R, Thanks! It's easy to second guess after a somewhat disappointing race. I've also been telling myself that it's still a fantastic time. I won my age group in a marathon! That's unbelieveable. Smile

RVD, Sorry for the disappointing race. Way to rally and run it despite not feeling well.

SIAR, Yeah, the hamstring could be an anomaly. Every time I get the smallest ache I feel like the people I mention it to immediately say, "See, the high mileage is catching up with you". It could also be a muscle imbalance. My quads are cut now but I'm not sure my hamstrings are developing as much... I think you're supposed to eye someone who's going about your pace and ask if they want to share the work. I posted a thread about it on RA last year, I think. I just still haven't done it. LOL!

Bad Ass

You mean, my SNIFF?  For a moment, I was like WTH is he talking about!

Morning all.  Looks like it's going to be a later run for me today, since I haven't done it yet.  I don't know what I'm going to do.  I'd love a track session, but it's gusting at about 25mph here and that doesn't sound fun.  If I don't do the track I'll just run easy miles, probably for a total of 12 either way.

Julia...Wow, those races are coming up fast!  I don't think I've ever done anything on that short of recovery.  Your strategy changes are interesting.  Did you feel fatigued during the training?  Maybe the hamstring was just an anomaly and unrelated to the rest?  I'm worried about not feeling rested enough for my race too, but am committed to trying the reduced taper this time.  As for running with others, how do you go about that?  I always find myself running alone at races, and I figure there is some kind of pack strategy I just don't know about.

Jodi...Shaking it out already?  Very nice.

NotSwift...Enjoy the last of your rest days.  Having Peachtree to look forward too sounds awesome.

Jack...Sounds like a great workout!  It must be so fun to have a coach there with you putting you through the laps like that.

Marco...Good job on the 12 miles...enjoy the rest and DWs bday.

Scott...A half seems like a good race distance to follow up your full with.  Do you think your training would differ much if you ran it with a goal as opposed to without?  It made me laugh that your DD has a graduation party and you're worried about the house - like forget her, it's all about the house haha.  I know what you were saying though, just giving you a hard time.

RVD...Being that close to your goal while not feeling well is pretty darn good!  Just my .02, but they always say to train based on your current fitness as opposed to for the time that you want to run.  I know you train pretty aggressively though, and I'm more conservative.

Docket...Hard to go back huh?  Hope you're feeling well and that you get that nose trouble under control.

Blog

Bad Ass

That too!  Just remember to criticize it basing it on everything, the course, the day, your period (yes, that too affects us), what you ate, etc.  It might not even be the training.  You never know.

Jack, I added CB10M for you. I saw they adjusted the peak bloom dates and we should be running under a beautiful canopy of pink!... I was running by myself the whole time. I tried to tuck behind some runners and relax but they usually were going slower than me and I would end up passing them pretty quickly. People really seemed to be fading in the second half whereas I was staying steady for the most part... That sounds like a grueling workout.

Scott, I feel like when I start to put all of this together, I'm going to be dangerous. LOL! A coach could be good or training group could be good. I think the hard part can be finding a coach you sync with. I think there are plenty of good ones in our area though.

D_R, Thanks! It's easy to second guess after a somewhat disappointing race. I've also been telling myself that it's still a fantastic time. I won my age group in a marathon! That's unbelieveable. Smile

RVD, Sorry for the disappointing race. Way to rally and run it despite not feeling well.

SIAR, Yeah, the hamstring could be an anomaly. Every time I get the smallest ache I feel like the people I mention it to immediately say, "See, the high mileage is catching up with you". It could also be a muscle imbalance. My quads are cut now but I'm not sure my hamstrings are developing as much... I think you're supposed to eye someone who's going about your pace and ask if they want to share the work. I posted a thread about it on RA last year, I think. I just still haven't done it. LOL!

Blog