March:

onemile - 3/30 - Egg Shell Shuffle Half Marathon

PressingOn - 3/30 - Cupcake Run 5K

April:

runnrchic- 04/07- Gulf Coast HM, Pensacola

Julia1971 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

Jackdyl11 - 4/7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

Joe1775 - 4/13  - Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50

So_Im_a_Runner - 4/14 - Union Half Marathon (1:30 pacer)

AthenaofAmerica - 4/14 - Artichoke Half Marathon

Marco59 - 4/15 - Boston - goal: 3:05

markrice - 4/15 - Boston - goal sub 3:15

GregTR - 4/15 - Boston

JenRosie - 4/15 - Boston

onemile - 04/20 - Carmel Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 4/20 - DTF Endurance Race 50K

Xrayman: 4/21 - Lansing Marathon

GregTR - 4/21 - London Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 04/27 - Key Biscayne Half Marathon

SIAR - 4/28 - Glass City Marathon

GoneFishing - 04/28 - Big Sur, CA

Julia1971 - 4/28 - Nike Women's Half Marathon

May:

hilltopper91 - 05/05 - Broad Street Run

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

PressingOn - 5/5 - Tacoma City Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11 - Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 5/11 - Mermaid Run East Bay Sirena18 (18 miles)

SprinklesRunner - 5/19 - Run for the Red Marathon

Runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

AthenaofAmerica - 7/6 Dirty Half Dozen 6-Hour Endurance Run

August:

Patti678 - 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

Runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 10/19 - Folsom Blues Breakout Half Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

ImNotScott - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Julia1971

6 miles easy on the schedule for me today.  I also have weights in the schedule but haven't figured out what I planned to do as far as weights this training cycle so I'm not sure how I'm going to fit that in today.  I probably don't have time to do anything this morning other than the run anyway so maybe I can figure something out after work.

According to FedEx tracking my new phone is at the airport.  I'm hoping it makes it to my house tonight.  A new toy!

MCM folks, I updated the calendar for you last night.

I also posted some personals late yesterday.  Did I miss anyone?

Just B.S., Thanks for checking in.  It sounds like you've been very busy but still getting the workouts done.  Don't forget to take care of yourself.  Smile  And, yeah, happy spring.  LOL!

RVD, Hope you got your run in.

Swift, We had a beautiful moon tonight, too.

Marco, I would imagine MP on a TM is tough.  That's a hard pace to maintain in normal conditions.  I forgot to ask you - have you bought the jacket, yet?

SIAR, Good job on the repeats and doubling.  I did a structured fartlek run.  It wasn't bad.  It won't be my favorite workout but it wasn't terrible.  And, it was tougher than I thought.  I did feel spent at times.

Jack, Congrats to you and your wife.  Is she a runner or are you going to coach her?

Scott, Congrats to you as well!  I barely get lunch most days so taking 1.5 hours to try to register was really a stretch.  Sad  Oh well.  There's always bib transfer so I'm not that disappointed.  I'll still be cheering for you all at Mile 25 if I don't get in.

Athena, Egads - 4 hours of sleep!  I couldn't function.  LOL!

JenRosie, Ack - days are in the teens?!  So exciting!  Glad the run turned out okay...  As spats go, it was pretty tame.  I can do better.  Evil

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Bad Ass

Morning!  8 miles with strides later.  Trixie ate last night (a bit of fishy food and later at midnight I heard her munching on dry food).  She cuddled with me last night for a few hours so very happy about that.

Julia, enjoy your 6.  I saw the personals.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Bad Ass

Julia, in case you are interested. Someone from the Maniacs posted this in the open FB forum:

Didn't get in to MCM? I have 9 charity bibs ($525) left - all proceeds benefit Alexandria, VA's at-risk kids. MAJOR race day perks associated. If you want to check it out, go towww.runningbrooke.com. Hope you do!

Not sure what perks or costs with it but if you reconsider MCM, maybe this is a way for you to do it.

Blog

Mostly Harmless

Good morning folks! I really wanted to circle back and reply to personals from yesterday but work is really jumping right now.  I had to work late yesterday to make up for the lost time registering for MCM and I've still got a lot to accomplish today and tomorrow. I would be dishonest if I said I didn't love it.  My job has a lot of up and down depending on where we are in a project.  I'd rather be busy than bored. Smile

Julia - I'm really bummed that you didn't get in.  I have a friend that got her bib through joining the Montgomery County Road Runners club. I think their dues are reasonable and they have group runs throughout the summer.  If you don't want to go the charity route, you might look them up.

Damaris - Enjoy the run later.  GREAT news about your kitty! I'm happy for you.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
            Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

D_R,  Thanks for the heads up.  I hadn't thought about charity.

Scott, Don't feel bad.  We'll still be training at the same time.  And, I have unfinished business with the Big Apple.  Smile  Yeah - I was thinking our running club might be able to get bibs somehow.  They did for Cherry Blossom.

Got my 2wu+8MP+2cd = 12 after work yesterday.  Bummed out that I missed the pace on a couple of the miles.  I was running on a greenway and there are two sections where I always run more slowly (although it doesn't feel like it) or my Garmin isn't measuring quite right.  It may well be the latter because the course is a bit curvy in those places and there is close tree cover.  So, if Garmin thinks I am running in a straight line and I'm not then I'm not getting credit for a bit of the distance.

Anyway, today is an easy 6 which I'll either do at lunch or after work.  Tomorrow is one of my least favorite workouts, 2wu+3(2m@HMPw1mr)+2cd = 13 miles, which I was thinking of doing on the track, because I don't think I could maintain pace at the greenway.  Plus, I'm not sure if I'm using too aggressive a HMP.  I haven't run one for a while so have just picked a pace halfway between my 10k PR pace from four weeks ago and my MP.  I wasn't able to hold it last week, but that may be the greenway effect again.  So, I'm thinking of trying to do it on the track just to be able to make an honest appraisal.  Problem is, if I use the track I'll have to be out there at 0400.  Sigh.....  I do need to check with the locals though, to make sure that high school vacation doesn't start tomorrow.  If it did, I would be able to use the track after work.

10 shy of the monthly PR after 8 on the TM at 8:00 pace.  Off to see the folks as it's our last full day with them.

Julia--I have the jacket from 2011 and I have worn it maybe twice.  I won't buy this year's

jackdyl11

I got in a very good workout today - 10 total with 6.25 fartlek with ons of 2,3,4,5,4,3,2 minutes and 2 minute offs.  I averaged 5:46 which I was happy about, and the ons were down arround 5:20 which I was very happy about.  Ons were supposed to be at 10 mile - HM pace which means I went a little fast, but honestly I was surprised by the times that were being called out, like my coach was consistently calling out lap splits about 2 seconds faster than they were.  This is the last workout that counts before Cherry Blossom, so I'm happy it was a good one.

DR - I'm so happy Trixie is feeling better!  See you in DC in the fall!

Just BS - Thanks for checking in.  You're awesome for taking care of your Aunt like this.  It's cool that you're the one in your family that stepped up.  Just a few months and then everything goes back to normal.

Julia - My wife is a runner too, but I'd say she is less dedicated than I am.  She's finished three half marathons so far, but with the baby she hasn't been running all that much recently.  I guess that's going to change!  I was going to say charity bibs as well.  Your running club sounds like a good bet too if they're going to organize a team.  I confirmed with my team that there would be bibs available if we were shut out.  They said we should go ahead and register in the normal process anyway, too, or I wouldn't have put up with yesterday.

Scott - Glad you got into MCM!  My work is busy too right now and the hour and a half it took me to register was not helpful.  Luckily everyone else is out on spring break, so no one cared.

RVD - It is intimidating to try a new, faster pace, but remember that you can't post a fluke PR.  You can't run faster than your fitness.  I'm sure you'll get the HMP miles done even if they feel faster than normal.  Also, I think my HMP is closer to my 10k pace than my MP pace, but that could just be me.  I'd say 10k pace + ~15 seconds.  Is that about where yours is?

Marco -Good job on the miles!  I never even got my jacket from Boston, but I do like wearing the long sleeve shirt they gave out.  They timed it right - I pull it out at the beginning of spring, right before Boston rolls around.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Morning folks.  Recovery run on the docket for me today - 6-8 miles, very slowly.  I'm feeling pretty tired, especially since last night's 5 were faster than usual.  There was a faster new lady that showed up, so of course I got nominated to show her the route.  It was fun chatting with someone new, but I also just missed the easy run with my regular group.  My legs also are feeling the difference of having the double be a little faster.

Julia...I saw your comments about the fartlek.  The really can be tough, especially when you shorten out the rests.  Good luck figuring out the weights.  Just running is so much easier.  Have fun with your toy!

Jen...Nice to see you pop in yesterday.  I hope those cyclists got a flat tire too!  Nice job on the 8 miles and harder workout.  I really think hills help with waking up the legs...that's why I'm not also looking for the flattest race course I can find.  I guess if you're counting down for Boston I can almost start counting down for mine too.  I do have a couple extra weeks though.  Either way, exciting stuff!

Docket...Have a good run later with the strides.  Good news about Trixie.

Scott...That's awesome that you're excited about work.  Have fun staying busy.

RVD...Great workout yesterday.  It is frustrating to miss the paces, especially if it's Garmin error, but in the long run I'm sure you still got the same benefit from the workout.  Have a good 6, and good luck with the tough workout tomorrow.  What do you get if you plug your recent full time into one of the race predictors?  They have one here under Resources and then Calculators.

Marco...Enjoy the day with the folks.  Nice job on the 8.

Jack...Yikes, that's a speedy workout!  You should be in really good shape for the Cherry Blossom.  Seeing a workout like that makes me wonder if I don't run too much too slowly.  I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat.  Plus, I don't have that kind of speed anyway.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

fake it till you make it

Hello Dailies!  I'm so excited that it's Thursday and I have the day off work. This means I get to join my running group for a fun time tonight. Our  group is Team R.E.D., which stands for Run, Eat, Drink and our motto is two outta three ain't bad!  Smile   Did 2 warmup/ 8 @ GMP/ 2 cooldown today at the gym, and will try to make it an easy 6 mile recovery with the group tonight.  

Throwing out a QOTD:  What should I aim for pace at Boston?  My goals are A: Sub 3:25  B: Sub 3:30/PR and C: BQ sub 3:40.  Am I being too aggressive with the sub 3:25 goal?  I've been feeling pretty good about my training lately but those damn GMP runs like today always leave me questioning....

Julia new blackberry toy- FUN!  I really wish I would've done more weights/core this cycle but I just didn't.  Doesn't help that the Athleta and Title 9 catalogs came in the mail today so now I'm paging through all the summer/swim clothes and REALLY regretting not doing the core work!

Docket so glad to hear Trixie ate!  And happy you got snuggle time too- good for both of you!

Scott I'm with you on rather be busy than bored.  If you're going to have to work, make the time worthwhile, right?

RVD  I actually really like that workout that you dread.  In fact I'm really liking the hansons' plan in general- not sure its any better/worse outcome wise for me but I enjoy the workouts. I'd guess the garmin is a little off, but does it matter much? Really the exact pace/distance isn't going to matter so much as the specificity of the workout and getting the leg turnover in, right?

Marco, I'm only a little embarrassed to admit I fully intend to buy the jacket, though I might wait until after the race as some friends have mentioned buying it on clearance only a day or two after the race.

Jack that sounds like one hell of a last "make it count" workout before CB!

SIAR I'm really starting to embrace the hills too.  In fact, because it's nearly taper time, I'm starting to panic and wonder if I shouldn't have done more of them. I think after Boston I might focus on some shorter racing/speed (Uh, except for a 50K I'm contemplating)  and I'm definitely planning more hilly routes and ending runs with hill sprints.  I hope those legs of yours get some true R&R today.

Just B.S.

Hi folks, going to try and get in a run today.

My Aunt doesn't sleep much and is up many times at night so therefore I really haven't slept in

a few weeks. Last night was only 2 hours. Doesn't leave much energy for running but I hope

at least getting some fresh air will give me a little energy.

Have a good day everyone.

jojo61397

No personals.  Ran 3.8 miles yesterday, 8 miles today.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                            Sub- 1:45 hour half.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jen...So I plugged your 8k into the predictor on here and it spits out a 3:30:49 as your marathon time.  Do you tend to run faster or slower than your indicators when you're doing longer distances?  You've really had pretty steady mileage since November, so I don't worry about a late race fade too much.  It's just going to be about setting the right pace from the start.  Looking at your log, you seem to have plenty of speed, doing lots of interval work and the like at under 7:00 pace (I didn't quite realize you were that fast, btw!).

I'm not the best race pace predictor, but I really think that sub-3:30 seems like a great goal.  Julia and I differ on this, but I'd start out just a touch over 8:00 for the first 3-5 miles, then try to run through 20-22 at 8:00, and then run your fastest over the last 8-10k.  The other thing I'd say is that you might want to consolidate your goals a little, as there seems to be quite the gap between them.  At least for me, if I've been somewhat unsure of my plan entering a race, I haven't been satisfied with the result.  I almost feel like it's better to set an aggressive plan and to stick to it than it is to waffle in the middle of the race.  That isn't to say you can't still be happy with going under 3:40 if that's what you run, but as far as setting your race plan, I say throw that time out the window.

Hope that advice helped more than it hurt!

Beth..I'd be a zombie on that kind of sleep.  I hope the fresh air was a nice reprieve for you.

Jodi..Hope the runs felt good.

I muddled through my 7.17 miles today.  I'm thinking I'm really going to have to do this taper perfectly in order to be ready for my race.  As of right now, my legs are seriously fatigued and I don't want to be bring that into race day.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

Based on the 8K result I would think 3:25 is a tad overoptimistic but I think sub 3:30 is possible.  You just need to pace well from the start (right pace).  Good luck!

Blog