A Mile A Day

To my pal Ennay (re - our little competition) (Read 273 times)

jeffdonahue

Anne, Gonna have to put our little competition on hold for a bit. I have decided that since I am not running any marathons or long distance races this year that I am going to focus on my speed and 5K time. With that I am starting an 8 week program that worked very well for me a few years ago and allowed me to drop over a minute off my 5K time by sticking to it religiously for the full 8 weeks. But this program consists of four HARD workouts a week, but the mileage will probably cap off at 30-35 miles per week (some weeks are as low as 25). Given that (and the running machine that is Ennay Wink ) I wont be able to keep up with you for a while. I have a little bit of a lead right now - maybe 50 miles after last week, but I think that will go away pretty quick with the mileage that you put in. So you might have to keep yourself motivated for a few months. Dont count me out yet - maybe after my goal 5K race(s) I might still try to catch you, but for now I think this is where I am going. Jeff

A Saucy Wench

dang Jeff....well, I'll still focus on catching you...then the 2K bunny, then I'll just knock them off as I see them. My mileage last week sucked...I am not good on vacation, but I have beeeeeg plans for this summer. As long as my leg holds together.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

Well, it will still be good to know you're staring at my butt for a few more weeks probably. I am going to play this whole thing by ear as I go and would love to keep my mileage on track with the 1500 mile bunny at least (so what, just shy of 40) and I may go mentally nuts when you pass me, but I am going to try to hold back and see if that helps me. I have two goal 5Ks - one is exactly 8 weeks from now on a SUPER-FLAT, SUPER-FAST course near my house. The only real factor in that race can be the heat since it is in the middle of July. I have PRed on it several times. The second is actually run by Mikeymike at the end of July (about 10 weeks away) and I broke 20 minutes for the first time on that course last year.
        jeffdonahue

Okay Ennay, we're back on. I emailed the coach that I had the running seminar with a few years ago and they said I dont need to cut back on the miles and they adjusted their original training schedule to my current mileage. I will still have a few key hard workouts per week and my pace on my recovery miles may get slower, but I think I can keep up the mileage and stay with you (not necessarily ahead of you, but with you). Wish I had thought to email them before I wasted yesterday with just a two mile run - then I wouldnt be so far behind this week already. Big grin

A Saucy Wench

heh heh....did I clue you in to my plans for the rest of the summer Evil grin

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

yeah, well if the last 4 days are any indication, then I'm screwed (and not in the good way). Wink I might have to start throwing in some doubles just to try to keep up.

A Saucy Wench

Dont worry, tomorrow is a rest day. Relatively

jeffdonahue

... Relatively
                  So what, a quick 9-miler before you drop the kids off at school?
                  jeffdonahue

Anne,

Is everything okay?  I just happened to look at your run for today and you have it described as a "cranky run" and yesterday as "a truly craptacular run" both of which make me think something might be wrong.

Hope all is well and it's just a slump.

Jeff

A Saucy Wench

Anne,

Is everything okay?  I just happened to look at your run for today and you have it described as a "cranky run" and yesterday as "a truly craptacular run" both of which make me think something might be wrong.

Hope all is well and it's just a slump.

Jeff

yesterday...well, never mind - that was only marginally running related

today - dunno why everything hurt.  I've been noticing lately - and it seems unrelated to running - that I get these days when I am just...inflamed I guess.  Makes me think I need to look harder at an anti-inflammatory diet or something. (and yesterday was a bad day food wise)  I wake up congested, my feet grow a 1/2 size and every injury I have ever had in my entire life hurts.  And today was one of those days.  Both achilles were screaming for the first couple miles.  But I have decided after dealing with this on and off for what...2 years now, that they arent getting worse and will probably be better tomorrow.  Or not.  I'm not doing so good on the AI diet today either. .  

jeffdonahue

Ugh... sorry everything feels like crap lately.  I know I have those days too, but sounds like yours are worse than mine.  Hope you feel better tomorrow.

What is the AI diet? 

A Saucy Wench

Ugh... sorry everything feels like crap lately.  I know I have those days too, but sounds like yours are worse than mine.  Hope you feel better tomorrow.

What is the AI diet?

OK some of this formatting is weird.   Shhhhh dont let Trent read this or we'll get the trifecta quote.  It's basically the no processed foods, whole foods pollan type diet.  There are variations. 

I am particularly susceptible to processed carbs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A Saucy Wench

Wink

oh go eat your oreo poptart bagels and leave me alone

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had several craptascular runs in a row.  Last night I had some beer.  Today's run was fabumongo!!