A Mile A Day

Weekly Checkin - 6/29/09 (Read 263 times)

jeffdonahue

blasted bloody (literally) awful run this morning.  at 5 miles I bagged it and went home to bandage and curl up with a coffee.

Umm... bloody?  Did you fall?

A Saucy Wench

Umm... bloody?  Did you fall?

yup, tripped over (? - my feet I guess) and did an amazing imitation of superman right until I skidded on the sidewalk.  The several minute laying on the ground considering if moving was a good idea is included in my 11 minute pace.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

That's terrible.  I tend to do that about once every 18 months or so.  It really feels bad.  I've wiped out hands, knee, shoulder in one fall.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

180 days today.  Its not a milestone...just a nice round number...Smile
            Ouch Ennay. That sucks. I fall a lot....just not a graceful person. I think the shock of falling is often worse than the injury. Scares the shit out of me.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

A Saucy Wench

I think I am ready to give up running entirely. I am getting slower and slower. Frustrating as hell.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Wingz

Professional Noob

I think I am ready to give up running entirely. I am getting slower and slower. Frustrating as hell.

Do you maybe just need a break?  Running's been really important to you for a good while now.  It'd be a shame to give it up entirely.

Roads were made for journeys...

Ennay-Hang in there.  I know it's frustrating when you have a bad day but think about how good it feels when you have a good one!

Why do we feel getting slower is a bad thing.  We can't keep getting faster and faster.  I have slowed down too but I still enjoy running.  Isn't that what it really is all about.  Just enjoy yourself and forget about your times.

A Saucy Wench

Ennay-Hang in there.  I know it's frustrating when you have a bad day but think about how good it feels when you have a good one!

Yes, but I havent had a good one in ...well months. They cant all be "just bad days"

Sorry dolly, if I felt like this was normal aging slowdown that would fine but my running is falling off the cliff.  And no, I dont know if I would continue running, not at this intensity if I couldnt race and feel that I had a good race.  Not necessarily a PR or anything but a race.  Enjoying myself and forgetting about my times is for training.  Racing is for racing.  And that means having a race, done at race effort, with decent racing technique (i.e. not a 6 minute 1st half second half fade in a 10K.).  For me just being happy that I ran the distance is NOT what it is all about.  Not anymore.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Maybe the streaking's getting to you.  I'm not saying this to try to get above you on the ladder.  I'm just wondering if maybe you couldn't do with a few days off.

Roads were made for journeys...

A Saucy Wench

Maybe the streaking's getting to you.  I'm not saying this to try to get above you on the ladder.  I'm just wondering if maybe you couldn't do with a few days off.

I would blame the streaking, except it started before the streaking - honestly it really started in November.  I dunno.  Guess I'll see how the next few weeks go.

Have you started pressuring yourself in your runnning?  I know you said it's more than just about the run but maybe you need to take that approach for a little while.  I'm not the most experienced runner but have been around sports all of my life & I know that sometimes athletes have to go back to the basics and rediscover the joy.  My daughter was #1 in the world in waterskiing and obviously trained very hard.  Every now & then she would go through periods like you are experiencing and would have to either take a little time off or just ski to maintain.  No pressure.  I hope you know we're just trying to help.  Is you're health OK?  I'll be thinking of you & hoping you have a great day soon.
                            jeffdonahue

I would blame the streaking, except it started before the streaking - honestly it really started in November.  I dunno.  Guess I'll see how the next few weeks go.

Wow, that sucks Anne.  I had the same feelings back in NOvember right after my marathon and really couldnt get back into running (at least not well anyway) for about 6 months.  I felt slow, sluggish on every run and had no motivation to get out the door most days.

Of course for me, then you came along and lit a fire under my ass and got me going again and I am feeling better about my running.  Still feel kind of slow, but I guess I'll really find out next weekend when I do my first 5K in a year.

Hope it gets better for you, I'd hate for you to lose the passion for something that you seemed to love not even a year ago.

Jeff

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Triple digits for me. Not sure I've gotten any faster, but I'm definitely adjusted to not taking any days completely off.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.